• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Incredible new Xunta albergue at Dumbria

gregdedman

Hi all,

Just back from my 2nd camino and wanted to let you know about a few changes to guides you may have.

There is a stunning new modern albergue based at Dumbria, situated roughly 13km after Olveiroa and 20km before Muxia.

The money was donated by a wealthy businessman (apparently the owner of the clothing giant 'Zara'!) and was completed in September 2010.
I stumbled upon it and had the place completely to myself.
Speaking to the hospitalero, she said that numbers were low, just 33 pilgrims throughout the whole of November. I wondered if that was because the guides are not detailing it and most people will walk directly from Olveiroa to Muxia.

The albergue itself is something else! Huge modern, leather seated lounge area, underfloor heating, fitted designer kitchens, sparkling bathrooms and balconies in the dorms (8 beds per dorm, 24 spaces total).
It is all running on renewable energy too, solar power and thermal!
It is like a hotel.....and the cost just the standard Xunta €5.

c15c4f3.jpg

HOWEVER, there has to be a question mark raised as to the need for this place. It sits within sniffing distance from Muxia, useful for people wanting to break their walk into 4 days as apposed to 3 but it seems tragically underused...I could still smell the newness of the leather.
It also poses a question as to where the camino in this part of Spain is heading. Most Xunta albergues are now newly renovated at tremendous cost it appears, all with modern designer kitchens (rarely with utensils or working applicances...meaning that most have to spend money in the local restaurants) and the flat fee of €5 has risen from €3 and rarely provides the same caring, understanding, attentive help you find in places like Cizur Menor or Granon where hospitaleros will attend to pilgrims aches and pains.

It has a very business like feel, its stunning, but fit for a pilgrim route? I myself am not sure.
Anyone else who has stayed there feel free to share your opinions on this.

I also wanted to mention a municipal albergue in Vilaserio, 10km after Negreira.
Again not mentioned in some guides, and if your heading for it bear in mind that it does not have heating (essential in winter as its just a school hall) but does have hot showers. The lady/hospitalero lives across the road and although is friendly, 'demands' a donation and offers €5 tortilla delivery for dinner. The place hadnt seen a mop or a cleaning product in a while so think twice about staying there although it is handy if you are trying to veer away from crowds on this route and 'stagger' your overnight stays.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Glad to learn of the new albergue in Dunbria. Just finished my 6th Camino and continued to Finisterre with a stop at Vilaserio on December 2. It was FRIGID! In warmer weather it might be more comfortable.

It is as if the Camino is a casualty in its own success.
Sad. I think it is 11 years until the next holy year. Maybe things will settle down a little before then.

Meanwhile, I hope today's pilgrims can experience the floods of mixed emotions that made up my first Camino in 2004

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
It will have 2 people i know in early august.
This is a wonderful opportunity for people to continue to Muxia and then Finasterre
We believe it is just wonderful after walking 600/700 or 800 km that the last few days should be a 20km walk and heading to h20.
Smile , smell the roses and enjoy .
I wish this was available 5 yrs ago
David

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thank you for this vital piece of information.

In 2009 I could have done with a night's sleep in Dumbria instead of having to push on to Muxia in a state of utter illness related exhaustion.

I will be certain to visit on my next Camino.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi there Falcon,

Thanks for updating the post, thats actually my video but I forgot to add it here for reference :D

Thanks again.

Greg

I said we would stay there Greg earlier before leaving Oz and we did.
A wonderful place and after some of the albergues on the Norte it was a pleasure.
We were there on the 2nd August and it was full but only at 9pm.

The rules there are the way ALL albergues should be run
1 Handicapped Pilgrims first
2 Pilgrims walking with backpack
3 Pilgrims with horse/donkey
4 Pilgrims with bicycles
5 Pilgrims assisted by bag transport or any other way , last

Numbers 4 and 5 must wait until early evening before they know if they have a bed.
They don't hang around as the people are strict.** There are no phone bookings.
It would be a pleasure if these rules applied more often.
A wonderful place to stay.
David

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all, At this stage looks like we are going to finish in SdC on Friday, our flight home is only Monday night. The weather forecast doesnt look to be promising - showers over the whole weekend...
Hi all We are walking the reverse Camino from Muxia to Santiago via Fisterra. Any tips or information to help us on our way?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back