Where past pilgrims share, and future pilgrims learn

A donation to the forum removes advertising!
  1. New here?
    We have accumulated over 10 years of Camino Questions and Answers.
    Please Sign Up and plan your camino with us. Buen Camino! Ivar
  2. Are you a lurker?
    Interested in getting a daily email with the latest forum post? Get it here.

Inevitable for feet to stink, or a sign of bad shoes?

Discussion in 'Equipment Questions' started by KyleJ, Jan 7, 2012.

1. KyleJ

KyleJ New Member

Hi all,

I've bought a pair of Merrells and tested them out in the desert. After just a day of wearing them, my feet smelled like death itself. Is this something I should just counter with foot powder, or is it a sign that I should invest in different waterproof shoes?

Thanks much,
    Kyle

A Donation to the forum removes advertising.
  2. jeff001

jeff001 Member

Try applying some hand sanitizer to your feet in the morning. Most foot odor is caused by bacteria and the sanitizer will help control that. It sure has worked for me.
  3. Nicholas Moody

Nicholas Moody New Member

I find that leather boots help to reduce foot odour, although after a few weeks on the road even they will begin to smell. I have used zinc oxide powder and that certainly helps to reduce the smell and also fights fungus issues.
  4. dutchpilgrim

dutchpilgrim Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    2002, 2005, 2008, 2012
    All foot odour is caused by bacteria.
    So every day clean feet and clean socks. (There are even silver-socks which kill odor-causing bacteria, thus preventing odors).
    Those bacteria might have infested your shoes. You can kill them by placing your boots overnight in a freezer at -20 Celcius.
    And finally, there are specialized products against smelly feet.

Ultreya,
    Carli Di Bortolo.
  5. Tia Valeria

Tia Valeria Active Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Part Norte/part Primitivo 2010
    Camino Inglés 2011
    Camino Primitivo 2012
    Part Norte and Camino de la Reina 2013
    Camino del Mar - Camino Inglés (2015?)
    We wear leather boots but still use a good powder for both our feet and boots. Ask for 'fungusol en polvo' at any farmacia in Spain. A little expensive but worth it. Ours is 60gm size and has lasted for ages. I use it on my feet after a shower, Terry prefers to use it in the morning begore setting off. We both put some in our boots overnight, helps keep them smelling sweet and dry.
    Then there are also various socks etc............
  6. espnnk

espnnk New Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Summer 2011 Le Puy to Figeac
    My uncle is a shoe repair man and when I recently asked him how to cure sandals that stink he advised to take a bucket of temperate water (not too hot - its bad for the glue) and add some vinegar and let the sandals soak - probably for a good while.
  7. Kiwi-family

Kiwi-family Active Member Donating Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Astorga to Santiago (2012); Baztan, Voie de la Nive, Frances to Leon, Salvador, Primitivo (2014 God-willing)
    Won't work in sandals, but baking soda sprinkled in shoes or boots will control the smell too.
  8. Kitsambler

Kitsambler Jakobsweg Junkie

Camino(s) past & future:
    Le Puy (2010), Cahors (2011), Prague (2012), Nuremberg (2013), Einsiedeln (2014)
    Responding to the OP: I'm noticing you report the problem after wearing waterproof shoes in the desert. There's a chain of causation here: heat> heat buildup due to inadequate ventilation > feet sweat > bacteria grow in moisture > bacteria make odor. So anything (or everything) you can do to interrupt this chain will improve the problem.

- Ventilate your feet by removing the boots at every rest stop
    - Dry out your boots at night by wearing an alternate pair of shoes at the lodging, and pulling out the insoles to facilitate drying
    - Improve moisture evaporation by using liner socks
    - Remove moisture by changing to dry socks at the midday halt
    - Use a foot powder on the feet and in the socks to control moisture
    - Control bacteria by washing thoroughly with soap when you shower. Supplement by using sanitizer gel and/or anti-fungal powder.

But I think, really, the cause is inappropriate footwear for the environment: waterproof boots are not (generally speaking) appropriate for hot desert temperatures, precisely due to the lack of ventilation.
  9. tyrrek

tyrrek Active Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    SJPP-SdC (4-5/2011), Ferrol-SdC (9/2011), Pamplona-SdC (3-4/2012), Camino Finisterre (10/2012)
    On occasion my feet have been known to stink very badly. :oops: I've used Odoreaters and Scholl sprays, which help greatly, but better to start using them on feet and boots before the problem even starts to develop. I also tried two 'pill box' sized things (also Scholl) that you put in each boot at night and were reasonably effective, but not as good as spray.

Buen Camino!
  10. malcolmrobert

malcolmrobert New Member

Odor comes from bacteria. Use antibacterial spray to kill the odor. No bacteria, no odor.