• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Just a note of thanks

heidi1

I just wanted to write a note of thanks to everyone who has posted to this forum and the others. I have gained so much knowledge here. Several of you have also went out of your way to post kind words, encouragement and that has greatly reduced my stress and fear level.

My car to the airport is set to arrive in a few hours. From there I fly to Newark and then on to Paris this evening arriving in Paris at 6:35 in the morning. It is from this forum that I learned what to do from there.

The plan is... there is no plan. After I land and progress through Border control it's straight down to the Train station. I may proceed to SJPP same day or stop along the way and get some rest. Part of this journey for me is to just trying to stop micro managing every aspect of my life. There are no reservations. No idea where and when my next meal will be aside from an apple or piece of fruit and water in my pack. Whatever will be, will be.

Wish me luck, I am going to need it. My anxiety level will taper off, I think after arrival but I am no fan of flying and today will be very trying for me.

Again, thank you all for being so kind. It has meant the world.

Heidi

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Buen Camino Heidi! Just put one foot in front of the other and all will be well!

Buen Camino Heidi !!!

And for your journey an old Irish blessing :

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
Go raibh an ghaoth go brách ag do chúl
Go lonraí an ghrian go te ar d'aghaidh
Go dtite an bháisteach go mín ar do pháirceanna
Agus go mbuailimid le chéile arís,
Go gcoinní Dia i mbos A láimhe thú.

May you have a sucessful journey (or literally 'may the road rise to greet you !!).
May the wind be always at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face,
the rain fall soft upon your fields. And until we meet again,
may God hold you in the palm of his hand

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Buen camino, Heidi.
Go well and safely!

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I just wanted to write a note of thanks to everyone who has posted to this forum and the others. I have gained so much knowledge here. Several of you have also went out of your way to post kind words, encouragement and that has greatly reduced my stress and fear level.

My car to the airport is set to arrive in a few hours. From there I fly to Newark and then on to Paris this evening arriving in Paris at 6:35 in the morning. It is from this forum that I learned what to do from there.

The plan is... there is no plan. After I land and progress through Border control it's straight down to the Train station. I may proceed to SJPP same day or stop along the way and get some rest. Part of this journey for me is to just trying to stop micro managing every aspect of my life. There are no reservations. No idea where and when my next meal will be aside from an apple or piece of fruit and water in my pack. Whatever will be, will be.

Wish me luck, I am going to need it. My anxiety level will taper off, I think after arrival but I am no fan of flying and today will be very trying for me.

Heidi

Sorry - somehow my face got imposed on this thread.
Heidi, all the best to you on your Camino.
All will be well.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I share your gratitude feelings towards the people that make this forum a great source of information, and I completely understand your concerns since I will be walking the camino for the first time, too. I am sure everything is going to be fine and that your experience will be one of a kind. I wish you the very best. God bless you!!! Buen camino.

The plan is... there is no plan. After I land and progress through Border control it's straight down to the Train station.

No idea where and when my next meal will be aside from an apple or piece of fruit and water in my pack.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
.....The plan is... there is no plan. After I land and progress through Border control it's straight down to the Train station. I may proceed to SJPP same day or stop along the way and get some rest. Part of this journey for me is to just trying to stop micro managing every aspect of my life. There are no reservations. No idea where and when my next meal will be aside from an apple or piece of fruit and water in my pack. Whatever will be, will be.

Hey, all the best to you Heidi.
I am lecturing a Masters-class in Paris and often pass through CDG; the other day, in the train from the airport to the city, a young woman «in full gear» (backpack, sleeping bag, Iso-mat) sits next, all nervous. Simply had to ask her «Are you doing the Camino?» She almost choked, «How on earth do you know?» «Well, one peregrino recognises another». Turns out that she just arrived from Toronto on her way to Biarritz > SJPdP, first time overseas. Lovely encounter, we chatted furiously all the way to the city and gosh, I was so close of dropping everything and just go along with her, envying her for what lies ahead.
Heidi, it will be only long after arriving in SdC that you will grasp how privileged you indeed are to do your Camino, a lifetime experience you shall forever cherish and never ever forget.

Enjoy every minute of it!
Buen Camino

Last edited by a moderator:
These words of encouragement from the wonderful people from this forum have touched me deeply. I am a beginner and some how I know my first Camino de Santiago will not be the last.
Buen Camino Heidi. Please keep in touch.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Good luck Heidi!

I'm heading out Wednesday for my first camino. I wish I had a bit more freedom like you to really take my time. Perhaps our roads will cross one day.

Buen Camino.

"The plan is... there is no plan. After I land and progress through Border control it's straight down to the Train station. I may proceed to SJPP same day or stop along the way and get some rest. Part of this journey for me is to just trying to stop micro managing every aspect of my life. There are no reservations. No idea where and when my next meal will be aside from an apple or piece of fruit and water in my pack. Whatever will be, will be."

Hi Heidi

I like your attitude. I'm also one of those who try to micro-manage my life. I am setting out from SJPdP in one month. I wish you a great adventure and hope to see your updates on the forum.

Gideon

Buen Camino, Heidi! Keep us posted when you have time! Anne

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Heidi
Thanks for the reminder I started to micro manage my trip and my expectations it is better for me to do as you have done plan the start and let The Way lead me to adventures - that way I will enjoy My Camino and not relive someone else's

Sent from my iPhone using Camino de Santiago Forum mobile app

Heidi
Heidi1,
You don't need luck -- you've got the Camino with you all the way!!
Have a wonderful journey!
Terry

BUEN CAMINO . Have a blast . We have your back

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Love that you are living in the moment and just going for it......Buen Camino Heidi and travel safe.

Heidi,

You will have a great Camino for that I'm sure. Enjoy every step you take, have a good one!

Buen Camino :)

Heidi
Heidi~
God's blessings go with you. I love what you said, "The plan is...there is no plan." That is the stance I have taken. I will begin my Camino in Leon on May 20. Thank you for YOUR comments!
iBuen Camino!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Buen Camino Heidi!
I would also like to thank everyone on the Camino. This is the greatest place to get information. There is a phenomenal amount of sharing and caring going on here. Helped my husband and I so much on our Camino. You'll have a life changing experience Heidi. Wish I could be out there with you.

Another poem for your journey, Heidi

Up-Hill

by Christina Rossetti

Does the road wind up-hill all the way?
Yes, to the very end.
Will the day's journey take the whole long day?
From morn to night, my friend.

But is there for the night a resting-place?
A roof for when the slow, dark hours begin.
May not the darkness hide it from my face?
You cannot miss that inn.

Shall I meet other wayfarers at night?
Those who have gone before.
Then must I knock, or call when just in sight?
They will not keep you waiting at that door.

Shall I find comfort, travel-sore and weak?
Of labour you shall find the sum.
Will there be beds for me and all who seek?
Yea, beds for all who come.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Another poem for your journey, Heidi

Up-Hill

by Christina Rossetti

Does the road wind up-hill all the way?
Yes, to the very end.
Will the day's journey take the whole long day?
From morn to night, my friend.

But is there for the night a resting-place?
A roof for when the slow, dark hours begin.
May not the darkness hide it from my face?
You cannot miss that inn.

Shall I meet other wayfarers at night?
Those who have gone before.
Then must I knock, or call when just in sight?
They will not keep you waiting at that door.

Shall I find comfort, travel-sore and weak?
Of labour you shall find the sum.
Will there be beds for me and all who seek?
Yea, beds for all who come.

Fabulous. Spot on. Thank you for finding it JillMom!

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back