• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Just returned from the Camino....Advice to others 60+ years

Re: Just returned from the Camino....Advice to others 60+ years

Trevorcc,

I hope you heal quickly, that they got all the nasty cancer :( and you can get back to your training program soonI'm going to be about a year behind you. :lol:

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Loving these Posts...hopefully will be on My Way in Sept thru Oct :D I am 55 this month and LOOKING SO FORWARD TO THIS JOURNEY!!!!! I shall write again when my plans are def......thanks to all...
"One Love"

Love it :D Well done and welcome to the family.
I'm heading there around Sept 10th, still undecided about starting at SJPP because of that 15 miles (mostly up) through the wash of the Pyrennes. Though just did 12 miles on a trail that makes the CdS an easy stroll through the park in comparison (sore muscles and feet to prove it). So may well go for it. I'll be 68 when I begin and look forward to what happens.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Tedh said:
Love it :D Well done and welcome to the family.
I'm heading there around Sept 10th, still undecided about starting at SJPP because of that 15 miles (mostly up) through the wash of the Pyrennes. Though just did 12 miles on a trail that makes the CdS an easy stroll through the park in comparison (sore muscles and feet to prove it). So may well go for it. I'll be 68 when I begin and look forward to what happens.
I am one of the few members of this Forum who has never even considered starting in SJPP. Actually, when I first did a bit of research back in 2007 regarding the Camino, Roncesvalles always appeared as the starting point. Admittedly most of my research was done on Spanish sites. So, since then, we have started our Camino from Roncesvalles three times, once from Jaca and once from Ourense. If I still choose the Francés again, I would probably start from Pamplona. Anne

Tedh,

I haven't walked the Camino yet but from what I've read there are two routes leading out of SJPP.

1) The Route Napoleon is the most popular and the steepest climb. Still one can break the stage up by staying in Orisson, just 7.7km, then continue on to Roncesvalles the next day.

2) Or a pilgrim could take the Valcarlos Route which is supposedly not as steep a climb and a tad shorter. One this route one can again breakup the stage by staying in Valcarlos, 11.6km, the first night on the trail.

If I start in St Jean, this is the one I plan on taking and I plan on giving myself a break by stopping in Valcarlos and then in Roncesvalles the 2nd night. No sense doing myself in the first day.

Hi Anne,
So if I start at Roncesvalles, how do I get there?

Is there a bus from SJPP? (I'll coming from Bayonne - easy to get to)

Also can I register as a pilgrim there?

I have considered Pamplona as a starting point also, just more difficult to get there from where I live.

- Ted

A selection of Camino Jewellery

In my opinion taking the Route Napoleon over the Pyrenees to Roncesvalles, stopping at Orisson on the way probably was the highlight of my Camino.
The wonderful mountain scenery, the really enjoyable stay at Orisson, meeting fellow pilgrims for the first time, drinking from Roland's fountain, crossing into Spain, the descent down through the forest to the monastery - the attainment of goals I was doubtful I could accomplish.
People told me the Valcarlos route was a very pleasant walk.
I'd take it only if the weather ruled out the Route Napoleon.

COURAGE! ULTREIA! ROUTE NAPOLEON!

gerardcarey said:
In my opinion taking the Route Napoleon over the Pyrenees to Roncesvalles, stopping at Orisson on the way probably was the highlight of my Camino.
The wonderful mountain scenery, the really enjoyable stay at Orisson, meeting fellow pilgrims for the first time, drinking from Roland's fountain, crossing into Spain, the descent down through the forest to the monastery - the attainment of goals I was doubtful I could accomplish.
People told me the Valcarlos route was a very pleasant walk.
I'd take it only if the weather ruled out the Route Napoleon.
COURAGE! ULTREIA! ROUTE NAPOLEON!
On my last Route Napoleón I saw nothing but thick fog!
Buen Camino
Jochen

For me and My Camino the 11.6km from SJPP to Valcarlos and on to Roncesvalles the next day will be challenge enough for the first 2 days. But this is just my thinking as of now. Who knows if my fitness level improves enough by then I may take the high road but I will probably stop at Orisson that first night.
Each of us will have our own goals and challenges for our Own Camino.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Tedh said:
Hi Anne,
So if I start at Roncesvalles, how do I get there?

Is there a bus from SJPP? (I'll coming from Bayonne - easy to get to)

Also can I register as a pilgrim there?

I have considered Pamplona as a starting point also, just more difficult to get there from where I live.

- Ted
Hi Ted.
I don't have the timetable of transport from SJPP, but I'm sure that someone else on the Forum can help you there. I didn't realize that you will be arriving from Bayonne. We always land in Madrid, so that makes a fairly easy approach to Roncesvalles.
You can get a Credencial ( Pilgrims passport) when you register at Roncesvalles. The same applies for Pamplona. Burn Camino! Anne

Thanks Anne. I'm still trying sort out if there is a difference (if there is one) between the Credencial and registering as a Pilgrim.

Bayonne is easier for me from London (and cheaper) by train. Plus gives me the chance to rest during the trip etc. From there I can go either way, SJPP or clip it over to Irun and grab a local train down to Pamplona.

I appreciate the input about the other routes, but I need to be in a bit better condition for really long mountain trails (I'm sure 500 miles of Northern Spain will assist in that :wink: ).

Ted: when you register ( usually at your starting point, but it could also be through a Confraternity, such as the British Confraternity of S. James), you receive your Credential, in other words, your Pilgrim Passport, by which you will be admitted into all the Albergues along the Camino. An essential and, what will become a very precious document! Anne

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

annakappa said:
Ted: when you register ( usually at your starting point, but it could also be through a Confraternity, such as the British Confraternity of S. James), you receive your Credential, in other words, your Pilgrim Passport, by which you will be admitted into all the Albergues along the Camino. An essential and, what will become a very precious document! Anne
OK, thank you Anne.

I just returned from walking SJPP to Santiago. I'm 62. I had physical (leg and foot) issues prior to start of the walk. Took me seven weeks and a day to complete. I walked every step. I did use the "Mochilla transport" service on 4 days. Here's what I would add to this post.

1) Make a realistic assessment of your physical condition prior to starting this journey.
2) Prepare! I thought I had. I hadn't. Don't just read about the walk. Get face to face with someone with experience and discuss it. If that means flying to a city that has an organization then do that.
3) Get proper shoes. Go to a professional and get them fitted properly. Don't try to save money by spending less on shoes. It's 500 miles people! Spend the money!
4) Train! I walked a lot the 6 months prior to starting the camino. Should have hiked with full backpack. You can always do more to get in shape.
5) Get all the proper equipment. I might even suggest you wait to buy what you need till you get to SJPP. There are experienced, knowledgeable people there who can tell you what you need. One of the first things you learn on this journey is that you can trust the people.
6) Set realistic daily walking goals. Everyone walks their own camino. There are no rules saying you have to walk the whole stage each day. Do what's best for you. You don't have to keep up with anyone. In fact, walking slower gives you more opportunities to meet new people. And for me, meeting the people was the fun part.

Now let me say this. Had I followed these suggestions myself, I might have realized walking the camino would not be in the long term best interest of my body. And I might have decided to not go. And that would have been a huge mistake. Making this journey, meeting the people I met is something I will never forget. I am very happy I walked the camino. So, maybe you should ignore my post and just go for it!

pics from my walk can be found on facebook...

https://www.facebook.com/rick.odaniel.5?ref=tn_tnmn

sanddreamer said:
3) Get proper shoes. Go to a professional and get them fitted properly. Don't try to save money by spending less on shoes. It's 500 miles people! Spend the money!
4) Train! I walked a lot the 6 months prior to starting the camino. Should have hiked with full backpack. You can always do more to get in shape.

Making this journey, meeting the people I met is something I will never forget. I am very happy I walked the camino. So, maybe you should ignore my post and just go for it!
So true. Especially as I am in the middle of training. One thing that may help, is to develop gradually and stick to it. I'm going to have to back peddle because I was in 8 miles a day shape and ended up on a difficult to severe trail for about 13 miles - 5 miles past my "shape". Now I have some muscle strain and while I give it somewhat of a rest on weekends, this morning I could only manage 4 miles before my legs started giving out.

Oh yeah, if you only plan to carry say 10-15 lbs on the Camino, train up to 25 and continue that for some time. Then when you get onto the real thing, that 10lb pack will give you wings :wink:

Proper shoes
It is definitely worth spending the extra on decent footwear. Since most of the Camino Frances is road, I was hoping to find some air heeled shoes, but I live in the UK - so far the only shoes that work for my FF width are Miendls and Merrells solid heel hiking shoes. I bought a pair of Merrell Moab's are they seem to be FFF and I'll have room for hot foot swell or thick wool socks when the snow hits. Not cheap, but very stable. Though they are hard heeled.

People :D
As I read the forum and blogs about this, people are the one aspect which get the most mention. It is a people thing, and I'm looking forward to that. Days will be long for me as I have to stop about every 30-40 minutes due to my spine - found that the best pace. I'll probably give the really long walks a miss first time out (a thumb or bus will work just as well).

I think the key thing for those of us over 60 is to pace ourselves at where we feel quite comfortable and accept the cold, hard, fact that we are not going to do this in 3-4 weeks (unless you normally wear blue tights and a red cape), just turn it into a kind of stroll and enjoy.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

I am 65 years old, and just finished my first Camino, starting in Roncesvalles and ending in Santiago. I did start my walk out to Finisterre from Santiago, but after two days and wicked weather and legs that were done, done, done, I took a taxi back to Santiago on the third day and spent a glorious six days in Santiago. I did not get any blisters or other injuries, but I kept my mileage to an average of 18k per day, and I do believe I was the slowest walker out there in the under 70 age group. One day, I did pass another pilgrim, but he appeared to be injured so that probably doesn't count, especially as he later passed me, injuries and all.

One thing about the discussion of blister prevention. People who say that as long as you do X, you won't get blisters, don't take into account the fact that everyone's feet are different, and what may work for one person won't work for another. There is no one method that will work for everyone.

Here is the quote that is the leading post of my blog, which I'm still writing:

"It does not matter how slow you go, so long as you do not stop." Wisdom of Confucius

I loved my Camino so much I'm going back next summer to do it again.

As a 64 year old, I find napoleon route easy, walked it 6 times since my 60 birthday, next sept 11,2013 , I train by climbing mountain, no road walking and never trekking more than 10 km, on camino my average day 25/30, 35 some days, never take rest day except for Pamplona, if healthy no problems, it will add years to life, no visit to doctor so must be doing something right, finished Norte in 28 days may, June and 10 days to walk Porto to Santiago June, now feet up until sept 11 Buen camino

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Hi Cloosh. Reading your post, and particularly the dates 6th April - 12th May sent a shiver down my spine. My wife and I started at St Jean on April 6th and reached Santiago on May 11th. We must have met along the way. I'm Pete and my wife is Sue and we're from Australia................we must know each other. I agree wholeheartedly with your assessment to the point that we enjoyed it so much we are doing the Camino Portuguese in September 2014. The best advice I can give is not to rush and have a couple of rest days along the way. Once a week worked for us but everyone will find what works best for them. Anyway enjoyed your post and am curious to know if we walked together at any stage.

Which would be the stage to skip?

As I am getting to the final decision, reading all your practical advises is so inspiring. I am looking for opinions from those who have done the entire stretch:
- Which would be the stage(s) that you would skip on your next pilgrim, and for what reason?
- Also, at which place would you plan to take rest(s)?
At 69 y., I want to include such alternatives in my planning, many thanks for your advises!
- And a last question: Assuming that all albergues have mattresses, is it really necessary to take along an ISO mat?

Thanks for any suggestions
Pierre

I have not done Camino yet- leaving Sept..... intend to make my own way... will make first week slow and get used to the daily walk... I think this is a good idea... 15 kms max first week and build up... best plan is to make plan that fits for YOU

Annie

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Pano, I would not miss any bits of camino, how do you know a walk is going to be boring, I love mountains,up and down. Rest days, I never take any, but walk only 10 or 15 km if you need rest, I get bored if not walking, rest day if you need it, Pamplona , logrono , burgos , Leon, or some mountain top village, my ideal camino , no towns , shops, but vino Tinto, good showers,bed, lower bunk, walk in and out of big towns and cities, as a 64 yr old male ,30 days or 33 or 35, or 38 your choice who cares, your camino, Buen camino

Pano: skip a section when you are tired and need to. I am not sure that skipping a particular section on the opinion and advice of someone else is a good idea! I don't like Burgos much, but if you skipped it on my advice, you would miss one of the great cathedrals. If you are not in a time bind, every step is unique, so take every one. :D

If you do need a break...how long again can you stay in the aberques?
Thanks,
Cindi :shock:

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

You can only stay one night in an albergue. The private albergues may let you stay over but most places you will have to book into private accomodation. Ask for 'habitaciones' (rooms) as you will get more places offered than asking just for hotels etc.

PANO said:
- And a last question: Assuming that all albergues have mattresses, is it really necessary to take along an ISO mat?

Thanks for any suggestions
Pierre

Pierre,

Most albergues do indeed have mattresses, but all do not have bunks! The only reason that some pilgrims carry an ISO mat is from worry about sleeping rough during the busy summer season. Thus, one of the bulky items to be most often dumped in the albergue "extra" box are these unnessary mats.

You mention in your first post that you hope to leave in the near future. How near is that ? From now through mid August all will be very busy and HOT. Later in autumn, however, it is always easy to find a bunk and to stay an extra night even in municipal albergues since they will be far less crowed than now. Always ask the hospitalero when you first arrive. Many albergues both municipal and private will start to close mid October but the helpful hospitaleros always seem to know who on the next stage is open.

Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

Many thanks to you, Margaret, Falcon, mad galway man!
I am thinking to hit The Way in September. Don't get me wrong, feet permitting, I plan to go the full length, but if I'd really needed to skip a stretch, it would better be a boring one, hence my question.

Annie's and mad galway man's advise to keep the stretches shorter and to get into a rhythm, rather that taking rest-days makes sense.

Reading in between Margaret's lines, to carry a bulky ISO-mat would not be a vital necessity, especially since I have in mind to "upgrade" to a habitaciones or hotel occasionally and depending situations.
The http://www.rudolf-josef-fischer.de/pilg ... liste.html (in German) is a great help to plan the backpack-ing and to keep the weight low; it includes that ISO-mat that I wouldn't like to carry 850km without using.

Any other item that you would no longer take with you on your next trip?

Looking much forward to the journey!
Pierre

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Remember that it is OK to skip a bit outside of the 100km mark, especially if you are running short on time. If the Compostela is important to you then you do have to walk all of the final 100kms (Sarria onwards if you are on the Francés)

Buen Camino

Tia Valeria said:
Remember that it is OK to skip a bit outside of the 100km mark, especially if you are running short on time. If the Compostela is important to you then you do have to walk all of the final 100kms (Sarria onwards if you are on the Francés)

Buen Camino

Oh yes of course, thank you for this important note, Tia Valeria. If at all, skipping a stretch for me seems to be most opportune in ugly industrial areas with heavy traffic, etc. or in very monotonous places. But perhaps I should take everything step-by-step and as it comes. :D

Thanks, Pierre

It's your camino! If you want to skip bits- do it (apart for the last 100km). We walked the Spanish camino in the winter, it was perishingly cold and on the meseta (think freezing fierce headwinds) almost gave up in despair. Then we decided rather than throw in the towel we would get a bus and train combo to Leon and decide there. A couple of days rest in Leon changed everything and we finished happily. Well worth it. (We also took a bus for about 5 km into Burgos through the ugly industrial part). We did the same on our Italian camino here and there where it made sense. If it makes for a happy camino, do it. Everyone is different in life, make it your personal experience.
Maggie Ramsay
"The Italian Cmaino" (Amazon)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Magnara said:
It's your camino! If you want to skip bits- do it (apart for the last 100km). We walked the Spanish camino in the winter, it was perishingly cold and on the meseta (think freezing fierce headwinds) almost gave up in despair. Then we decided rather than throw in the towel we would get a bus and train combo to Leon and decide there. A couple of days rest in Leon changed everything and we finished happily. Well worth it. (We also took a bus for about 5 km into Burgos through the ugly industrial part). We did the same on our Italian camino here and there where it made sense. If it makes for a happy camino, do it. Everyone is different in life, make it your personal experience.
Maggie Ramsay
"The Italian Cmaino" (Amazon)

Thank you Maggie, very helpful. This is what I have in mind and falcon269 already mentioned the same about that Burgos stretch. Btw, I admire your endurance in the cold, incredible! Couldn't do it, which is why I plan to start the walk e/Aug-beg. September.
Absolutely agree that one should personally determine the rules and what the Camino should be, not to be told by others, as actually in life too.

Pierre

I am 67 and just completed the Portugues route from Porto. There was insufferable heat for 2 weeks after 11h and the pavement on most of the path is stones but the absolute plus is arriving in Santiago and learning there were 1500 pilgrims descending from the CF while there were only 40 of us arriving from the Portugues. Those 40 of us had the time of our life! The major negative of this route is sharing a few very narrow roads with very large, fast moving trucks. I am already planning for my 2014 from Oloron to Santiago.

dedubya said:
Thanks for that! My wife and I leave Aug 20. We are both mid 60's and your post made shed my misgivings! :D
My wife and I are 60 and will be leaving St. Jean for Orission on Aug 20th. Hope to meet you along the way. We are going to go slow slow slow and savor every step and villiage

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
MARY AND DOUG YOU WILL BOTH DO FANTASTIC AND I LOOKFORRWARD TO SEEING YOU WHEN YOU RETURN. BUEN CAMINO. ALEIDA

Hi Mary, Doug,

Well, i'm 62 and will be leaving SJPdP on August 22nd, not far behind you. There may be a few of us at that time, hopefully we will see each other along the way.

Uplifting post...I'm on the Camino now, and plan to celebrate my 61st birthday in 2 days by climbing a big ol' mountain and planting a rock at the base of that iron cross... :D

Yes, you can do it! One step at a time, you can do it.

I too have met some amazing people, and also some real dirtbags, but the Camino is like life, and humans are not perfect. But I have many memories and stories, and I've learned so much along the way.

I started in Le Puy, because walking about 1000 miles this summer seemed like a good idea. I did everything wrong: didn't train, was 35 lbs overweight, had new boots, pack was way too heavy, etc. I suffered, got sick, and had to take days off for my feet to recover, but along the way, I became fit, the boots & feet reached detente, and the pack is now lighter. I am delighted at what a 60 year old body can do.

I feel so grateful to have been blessed with the time, money and health to be able to do this walk, and so grateful to have met the amazing, lovely, and inspiring other pilgrims. I most admire those pilgrims for whom every step is a struggle, but yet they get up every day, put on the boots, hoist the pack and walk on.

My wife and I are 68 and 69, respectively. We depart SJPP on Aug 16, and spend the first night at Orisson. We're figuring on averaging 12-13 miles per day after that. God willing, I'll celebrate my 70th birthday somewhere around the Cruz de Ferro. We've been training since last fall, and are eager to finally get started for real.

Jim

Jim, miles or kilometers?? It's going to make a HUGE difference.
Kathy 8)

My wife (age 77) and I (age 78) left SJPP on May 3 and finished at Santiago June 29. We walked every step of the Way carrying our own back packs. If we have any advice to give to anyone, regardless of age, it is to carry only that which you cannot do without; and, if you are lucky enough to be retired, take you time--enjoy yourself rather than race to the finish. We set our goal at an average of 16 km a day, 100 km a week with Sundays off. We not only made it to Santiago but thrived on the experience. Indiana John

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

OOOPPPS! As an afterthought, we (the 77 and 78 year olds who finished El Camino June 29) maintained a blog on our pilgrimage. Many may find it helpful in planning their trip. It is at:
http://www.villamilan.com Indiana John

Thank you for the link, John! I have sent it to my girlfriends sister (66) for encouragement to start walking! Will read the whole thing myself, too :)

FooteK said:
Jim, miles or kilometers?? It's going to make a HUGE difference.
Kathy 8)
Miles per day (approximately 19 to 22 km per day).
Jim

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Thanks for the terrific post. I plan to be on the VDLP in April of next year at 69 years young. "Old Guys(and Gals) Rule".

Brilliant
I can't wait . Your story was inspirational and exciting, I leave on Monday 29th and I can't wait. I have been planning this trip for 20 years but, this is the year I decided to do it. :lol:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=nptOvl9CHc4[/youtube]68 and still learning!

This is what I got from the Camino...i will never be the same! Jim

Some of the lessons I learned on my Camino journey with a few new photos. Love this life! It was only 1,000,000 steps and I learned something on everyone. http://wp.me/p2xjTs-j4

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Hey Jim your comments under the section of blog called exercise sucks .. which I have just read..... resound within me... my exact thoughts about fear...... I have a great Projector in my mind.... always projecting forward to potential for disaster :) ..... I have been working to fix that over the past 9 years....constantly reminding myself that without fear / going outside comfort zone ......well there can be no change/ growth :)

My Camino later this year will not be the scariest thing I have done .....but still the "projector" is showing the same movie :) as it has done before ....hahahahaha

Anne

I too just returned from the Camino and am 63yo. I had planned to walk from Le Puy to Astorga but I underestimated my capability and so because I was still full of energy when I got to Astorga, I bussed from Astorga to Fatima and also walked the second stage of the Portuguese Camino into Santiago. All up I walked 1600km and it made me realise how we can put limits on ourselves from cultural messages we receive about aging. It was a marvelous journey and I can highly recommend The via Podiensis from Le Puy and the Portuguese Camino, both were beautiful and less stressful than the Frances during May - July.

Thank you soooooooooooooooooo much for you incouraging words .. It has been in my mind ofr a while now and getting scared more and more since the days are coming soon for me to be there (sept 25 is the day i have to be in St. Jean to start) .. i have been worried a lot Never in my life I have done such a thing or even leave home on my own for months .. I'm almost 50 (not yet Lol ) but hopefully i will do it and your words made me at peace ..
Thank you again and I wish I was with you to walk with me .. but I'm pretty sure i will find a lot of PPL on the way ..
Yours Truly
Aida Sarkissian

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Annie .. You and I have that same model projector I do believe . The first image that comes to my internal screen is me standing in STJPDP looking up at the mountains , eyes wide and mind spinning , then going to find a resturant to have a little breakfast whilst scanning the train schedule for my return to Biarritz to catch a flight home .

But in reality I think I will sell that cerebral projector of mine on Ebay , and when in SJPDP standing there .. head out over the mountain. What's the Queen song ?.. Don't Stop Me Now
Buen Camino
Joe

Annie Little said:
Hey Jim your comments under the section of blog called exercise sucks .. which I have just read..... resound within me... my exact thoughts about fear...... I have a great Projector in my mind.... always projecting forward to potential for disaster :) ..... I have been working to fix that over the past 9 years....constantly reminding myself that without fear / going outside comfort zone ......well there can be no change/ growth :)

My Camino later this year will not be the scariest thing I have done .....but still the "projector" is showing the same movie :) as it has done before ....hahahahaha

Anne

Last edited:

Lovely post Cloosh....I remember meeting the Russian in Rabanal...he was treating a Scot(ex-pat) for blisters... Unusual treatment if I remember correctly.... In that beautiful Albergue ran by the Confraternity of St James
Buen Camino

I am 60 and will set out on my first Camino September 27. Thanks for the inspiration. Not sure why I am doing this, only know that I am supposed to do it. Is that faith? Is that hope? Is it just listening? Not sure what to expect, but your post lets me expect the best, without defining what that might be ahead of time.

Ultreya!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

trevorcc said:
Leaving Australia on the 17th Sept., but at the moment my training has been interrupted with a week in Hospital to remove some skin cancer on my shin, in bed for a week no movement followed by 2 weeks taking it easy.
Which gives me more time to think about leaving, time really slows down in hospital (first time in 50 years) but it will come time soon enough, those on the walk all the best.

Trevor

Dear Trevor,
Greetings!!!!
I pray for your good recovery soon!!!!!
Knowing you're leaving on 17th Sept.....I will start walking on 23 Sept........
So the chance to meet is high and I look forward to it!!!!!!!
Buen Camino
Linya HUANG

What an amazing post, thank you for taking the time and effort to post it. Like you I am well over 60 and have recently returned from walking the entire Northern route. I also had similar experiences to you. Met amazing people and really felt the power of our Lord. So many unexplained things that happened on route. I often felt I was walking with Angels. Cannot wait until I walk on of the other routes.

The whole question of "age" seems unimportant on the camino. It's more a question of being reasonably fit i.e. able to walk 15 kms in a day - or maybe sometimes even less! I know many folk in their 40's and 50's who couldn't walk like that for day after day.
So whatever your age - walk and enjoy!
All being well I plan to celebrate my fourth camino [and my 75th birthday] on the Camino Ingles next June. That's my plan. But you know what they say - "If you want to make God laugh, tell Him your plans!"
Links to my diaries and hundreds of photos are on my web site.
To you all, young and old, "Buen Camino!"

Stephen.
http://www.calig.co.uk/camino_de_santiago.htm

Paddy Creaven's entry of August 8th mentions the Russian repairing a blister of a fellow Caminoist in Rabinal......My friend, that indeed was me, the ex-pat Scot!
I am astonished at the amount of replies to my initial post earlier this year.
I have been absent from this site for a few months as I have since retired from the working world and moved from the Canadian Atlantic province of Newfoundland, right across to Vancouver Island on the Pacific side of British Columbia.
In the next few days I will read all these more recent posts, but I can say that after re reading my initial post, not a single opinion would I change.
Sincerely people, this was my journey of a lifetime. I live with the Camino experience every day in some way or another. Whenever I find myself being a bit testy towards my fellow man, the Camino experience tends to make me think twice; and it is amazing how a smile on your face can have the effect of a return smile from a stranger passing in the street.
My friends with whom I shared Facebook addresses on the Camino are still friends and I have heard from those friends in their homelands ranging from Korea to Austria, from Russia to Australia and many places in between. I even met a couple of them as I travelled from east to west Canada in early summer.
Keep a journal and take many photos. Those items will be invaluable in your heart and mind as you continue in your journey through life.
Thank you for your thoughts and comments. You have helped me start thinking about another Camino. It is not the reaching of the destination, it is the actual journey which gives the thrill of the Camino.
God bless you all.

I, too, just returned from the Camino and fit your category.....64. What you said is oh, so true although I managed to hold on to my underwear and my own socks. :D

The only thing I would add is to savor each moment, let what's around the corner come to you in its own time, and listen to your body.

I walked from Ponferrada to Santiago this May and am already planning my trip for next year from St. Jean.
I finished my first Camino on 24th June - walked from Pamploma to Santiago - today, I booked and paid for my tickets for next year - will leave Australia on 20th April and begin walking from St.Jean on about the 23rd.......I will have just turned 66.

I finished my first Camino on 24th June - walked from Pamploma to Santiago - today, I booked and paid for my tickets for next year - will leave Australia on 20th April and begin walking from St.Jean on about the 23rd.......I will have just turned 66.
God bless you and congratulations!!!!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Wow! What an inspiration! I have just bought my plane ticket leaving May 24th 2014 and hopefully leaving SJDP on the 27th.

Wow! What an inspiration! I have just bought my plane ticket leaving May 24th 2014 and hopefully leaving SJDP on the 27th.
Rosemary, you and I will be walking at essentially the same time. I am starting out on May 18 with a "Get me started" group program and we will be in Pamplona May 21 then we will be on our own. I will be going at a slower pace after that I suspect. Perhaps we will meet up since it looks our end date is nearly the same (assuming you mean June 27th ;)).
I am 66 inches tall, slender 125#/55 kg., with curly blonde/brown hair and am 58 years old. I will have my forum patch on my osprey backpack.
Hope to see you along the way!
Stefania

I'm 62ish but will be 64 by the time I'm able to walk in the fall of 2014. Working on getting fit so that I can walk with less difficulty on the trail.
Right now it looks as though I will only have 15-17 days actual walking time when factoring in travel time and a rest day or so along the way and at the end. So i won't be able walk the whole way. Not sure yet if I will start from SJPP and just get as far as I get and come back for other sections until i complete the whole thing :?: Or start from somewhere west of Leon, probably Astorga or Ponferrada and walk to SdC :?:

On my first trip to the Camino Frances for the month of May in 2011 (I was 64), I walked with a friend from Leon to Santiago and had almost a week left over because we underestimated our abilities and overestimated the difficulty. She walked on to Finisterre and I took a train from Santiago east to Logrono and walked to Burgos. When I got home, I had a very bad case of the Camino Blues so I returned on my own for the month of October to walk the two remaining sections of the Camino, the Pyrenees and the meseta, which my friend and I had rejected because we thought one would be too hard and the other too boring - they were neither! The advantage of doing it this way was that I got to experience the Camino in two different seasons in one year, but the disadvantage was that it was very hard to say goodbye to friends after walking together for only a few weeks when I had to move ahead or go home (and I paid the $1000 airfare twice!).

In 2012 I returned to walk the entire Camino from beginning to end in April/May. The advantage is that I experienced the Camino in its natural sequence with the same wonderful walking mates and extended Camino family the entire time, but the disadvantage is that not everyone has 5-6 weeks available or they cannot be away from home for such an extended period of time.

So I have experienced both a patchwork walk in four disjointed sections and an end-to-end walk. I think if you have the time, an end-to-end walk is the most satisfying experience, but if you are going to walk it in sections, I suggest you begin at the beginning and walk in continuous sections to Santiago or even Finisterre. If you choose the section-by-section option, you could do what I did in October2011: fly to Paris, train to Dax, next day short bus ride to St. Palais on the LePuy route, and walk two short days to St. Jean as a warm-up to the Pyrenees, which will be the hardest day of the Camino, made even harder if you begin shortly after an overnight flight. You might be able to do this in 17 days and end up in Burgos, which is a major city with connections to Madrid where you can fly home. I hope your Camino plans fall easily into place, but no matter how you choose to do it, I'm sure it will be a very special experience!

€149,-
Well that was an experience of a lifetime and something nobody who seriously wants to do the Camino should turn from.
Was it difficult? Not overly so.
Sure there were days when I was tired, hot, wet, had sore feet and on onew occassion had a honking great blister that put me off the road for a day, but if you are even moderately in shape, and remember you are not in a race, and do only what you are capable of doing per day, you will have the time of your life!
I did not start as a pilgrim, but I ended up as a person who firmly believes that Christianity is alive and well in people who walk the Camino and that God is great, and I do not mean that in a great religious type of way, with visions, or Halleluja choruses echoing through the land, He just is great and exists. ( I still swear like a trooper when things go wrong btw)
I left St Jean Pied de Port on 6 April and arrived in Santiago on 12 May. I left on my own and met dozens of the best people I have ever met in my life. I laughed more heartily than I have done in many years, I learned that charity between friends is invaluable, I have dozens of Facebook friends thanks to the Camino, all of whom I would welcome to my home, I saw the beauty of Spain, the wonders of large cities, the delights of tiny villages, heard cuckoos calling, cows mooing and sheep bleating, and smelt for days, dung and slurry that was being spread on fields. I never heard a cross word, or felt that I was ripped off in any way,in fact I had people track me down if I had over paid. Not once did I see see a police car with its siren sounding, nor fear anything untoward was possible.
I had a Rastafarian Russian surf board instructor fellow Caminoist (that is a story in its self!) tend, with care and tenderness to a bad blister I developed, and he used up his own precious first aid kit helping me and gave me a great pair of socks, a man, a month before I would never have dreamt of even speaking with. Now I know I could trust him completely.
The food was first class, the albergues were better than I imagined they would be, the whole exercise was cheaper than I thought, and I did not want to come back home at the end of it.
Yes you will experience challenges such as loosing your underwear inexplicably, finding you have adopted someone elses socks and sweating like a pig, but it is only underwear and I feel the benefit of losing 28 lbs to the point I now take two steps before my pants start to move, but I also lived amongst men and women from their 20s to their 80s who were a joy to be with and shared happiness and stories. I had no trouble sleeping and no trouble getting up in the morning. I soon got used to having a shower with a woman in the stall next to me. Inserting earplugs at night was just as natural as brushing my teeth, and I missed nothing of the creature comforts of home, what ever that may have meant.
If you want the time of your life, if you want to learn something incredible, if you want to see something fresh and with a different outlook on life, travel the Camino, and dont worry about the little things. You dont need peanut butter or to phone home every night. Go on, do something different. All the information about what you should do or bring is extremely well documented on this forum ten times over. Just do it. Buen Camino....Neil:D

What a nice note. I am 70 and plan to be there on April 25. Your positive experience brings me encouragement.

Well its 2014 I returned in Nov 2013 (spent 8 days in Santiago hospital) I can only say I enjoyed every step, conversation, smile and mouthful of tucker.
I had Chronic renal failure but kept going (silly me) operation back in Australia am now ready for a new Camino in Sept. 2014 I will start a few weeks earlier than last year. I will walk on my own like last time only difference I am a year older (65) more excited bring it on.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Cloosh Thank you so much for that. I will have my 65th birthday on the Camino. Maybe upon arriving in Santiago. I am so looking forward to this.

Well that was an experience of a lifetime and something nobody who seriously wants to do the Camino should turn from.
Sure there were days when I was tired, hot, wet, had sore feet and on onew occassion had a honking great blister that put me off the road for a day, but if you are even moderately in shape, and remember you are not in a race, and do only what you are capable of doing per day, you will have the time of your life!
I did not start as a pilgrim, but I ended up as a person who firmly believes that Christianity is alive and well in people who walk the Camino and that God is great, and I do not mean that in a great religious type of way, with visions, or Halleluja choruses echoing through the land, He just is great and exists. ( I still swear like a trooper when things go wrong btw)
I left St Jean Pied de Port on 6 April and arrived in Santiago on 12 May. I left on my own and met dozens of the best people I have ever met in my life. I laughed more heartily than I have done in many years, I learned that charity between friends is invaluable, I have dozens of Facebook friends thanks to the Camino, all of whom I would welcome to my home, I saw the beauty of Spain, the wonders of large cities, the delights of tiny villages, heard cuckoos calling, cows mooing and sheep bleating, and smelt for days, dung and slurry that was being spread on fields. I never heard a cross word, or felt that I was ripped off in any way,in fact I had people track me down if I had over paid. Not once did I see see a police car with its siren sounding, nor fear anything untoward was possible.
I had a Rastafarian Russian surf board instructor fellow Caminoist (that is a story in its self!) tend, with care and tenderness to a bad blister I developed, and he used up his own precious first aid kit helping me and gave me a great pair of socks, a man, a month before I would never have dreamt of even speaking with. Now I know I could trust him completely.
The food was first class, the albergues were better than I imagined they would be, the whole exercise was cheaper than I thought, and I did not want to come back home at the end of it.
Yes you will experience challenges such as loosing your underwear inexplicably, finding you have adopted someone elses socks and sweating like a pig, but it is only underwear and I feel the benefit of losing 28 lbs to the point I now take two steps before my pants start to move, but I also lived amongst men and women from their 20s to their 80s who were a joy to be with and shared happiness and stories. I had no trouble sleeping and no trouble getting up in the morning. I soon got used to having a shower with a woman in the stall next to me. Inserting earplugs at night was just as natural as brushing my teeth, and I missed nothing of the creature comforts of home, what ever that may have meant.
If you want the time of your life, if you want to learn something incredible, if you want to see something fresh and with a different outlook on life, travel the Camino, and dont worry about the little things. You dont need peanut butter or to phone home every night. Go on, do something different. All the information about what you should do or bring is extremely well documented on this forum ten times over. Just do it. Buen Camino....Neil:D

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I started this thread many months ago with the initial posting. If I have got it right there have been 166 responses to my initial post, which absolutely stuns me.
Today I am here because I have, for the first time, been asked to give a talk soon on my experiences with "The Camino". Your comments will help prepare the talk.
It is within a few days of being a year since I set out on my journey. The teachings and observations gained or seen by myself on the road to Santiago still live with me very strongly, though I hasten to add that in no way could I be considered "a religious nut", "a devout Christian", "a saintly person" or anything other than "one in the crowd". I go to church most Sundays that is true, but "the pardoning of sins" helps with why I feel better after a service!
The Camino has changed and continues to change my outlook on life. I am not so angry with life, can sit back and observe, rather than confront. I believe that we all have choices we can take on life's path and sometimes we have to accept we made wrong decisions. One of mine was the acceptance that we have to follow orders, always. Seems silly that I spent most of my working life, blindly following instructions of bosses and superiors knowing they were at times, totally wrong.
Totally wrong, from a business and at other times a moral point of view. The great thing is of course, we can change, no matter what our age.
Why do I post this on my Camino notes? Because the Camino allowed me to realise, on those days of walking what I was doing, what I was doing wrong, and how I could change my life style.
To all of you out there, who are about to start a Camino, particularly for the first time, I would suggest, that once you have figured out you need to exercise common sense in your preparations and daily Camino, hopefully you will be given the wonderful opportunity to ponder your life past present and future.
The Camino worked wonderfully well for me. The lessons I learned walking through snow rain or sun are now being put into practice. This to the benefit of myself, and I trust, through me to the benefit in small ways to others.
The Camino is not just a hike. It is certainly not a race. To you who read this I suggest you take your time, look, listen, smell, touch and taste each and every day of your Camino. Slow down to a pace that suits you, enjoy, and when you come home, be more wise, and if asked, take time to tell what you learned.
Thank you for your posts and thoughts.
Life for me has restarted. Hope you find the same experience of enlightenment and adventure.

Last edited:
Neil
Inspirational! doing my first next month and looking forward to all the fun and frolics sights and sounds!
Well done Cecilia on taking the Camino Road. Enjoy and don't push yourself too hard, but rather stop once in a while and smell the roses.

Last edited:
What a nice note. I am 70 and plan to be there on April 25. Your positive experience brings me encouragement.
Hope you get as big a kick out of it, as did I. Take your time and remember to rest and be thankful. Oh and laugh a lot, that is most important![/quote]

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
The Camino has changed and continues to change my outlook on life. I am not so angry with life, can sit back and observe, rather than confront.
I couldn't have worded myself better. Starting out again in 6 weeks from now at age of 60, and will pay my whole attention to each and every day, go in my own pace, with no intention at all to arrive in Santiago before I am ready for it. Thank you for an insightful post, Cloosh.

Thank you! That was beautiful. I am traveling solo and looking forward to this journey. I will have my 65th birthday around when I arrive in Santiago.

Thanks, Cloosh......very nice entry. It bolsters confidence and increases desire to get started.
I am 73, believe that I am in pretty good shape but still a bit nervous. Your story is a positive push. I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th, stopping at Orrison that night then pressing on.
It is my fondest desire that I finish in Santiago with an attitude similar to yours!
All the best.......

Sent from my iPad using Camino de Santiago Forum mobile app
Brendan

I appreciate you sharing your experiences and the your delivery - I sense your heart and soul in characters on a screen in my home! I am just under two months from my first camino and soak up like a flower to sunshine the thoughts and personal lessons that you've shared that are open, honest, non-judgemental, and inspiring....thank you!

Thanks for your in site and inspiration.
I will be going May 17 and am so excited. I will be 61 and traveling alone but am looking forward to meeting many new people along the way. I have been waiting 40 years to do the camino and can hardly believe my dream will finally be realized :)

I will be going May 17 and am so excited. I will be 61 and traveling alone but am looking forward to meeting many new people along the way. I have been waiting 40 years to do the camino and can hardly believe my dream will finally be realized :)
Cyndy,
I will be right behind you (starting May 18). This is my first camino too and I am really excited. I just packed my backpack for the 1st time yesterday and it made everything very real for me. Planning, reading, exercising, and studying Spanish have been going on for quite some time but as we draw close to our start dates the packing, copying paperwork, etc. really brings it home to me.
I will stay at Orrison the 1st night as I have not been a hiker for a long period of time and need to adjust as best possible. I am 58 and after traveling with a group as far as Pamplona (arriving May 21 there) I too will be on my own. I look forward to meeting you somewhere along the way.
Buen Camino
Stefania

Thanks, Cloosh......very nice entry. It bolsters confidence and increases desire to get started.
I am 73, believe that I am in pretty good shape but still a bit nervous. Your story is a positive push. I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th, stopping at Orrison that night then pressing on.
It is my fondest desire that I finish in Santiago with an attitude similar to yours!
All the best.......

Brendan
Brendan,
Don't sweat it! I walked it last fall and I turned 83 today! It was a joy all the way, even the downpours in Galicia!

Brendan,
Don't sweat it! I walked it last fall and I turned 83 today! It was a joy all the way, even the downpours in Galicia!

I hope to be able to post a similar message 35 years from now ! Kudos to you indyinmaine !!!

Happy Birthday indyinmaine!!

Happy Birthday Indyinmaine!
And may you continue to have 'joy all the way'!

Carpe Diem,

Margaret Mereith

As they say in the commercial....."I love you, man"!

You are the man that I hope to be....at 83!
Keep that attitude.....it helps us all.
Happy Birthday
Brendan

Sent from my iPad using Camino de Santiago Forum
Walkdontrun

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Thanks, I will be on the Camino Francis in 4 weeks time. You have lifted my optimism regarding the trip. I'm trying to train in a sensible manner for my age. (79) done a couple of 5 milers 3 x 8 milers last week but getting a few doubts in myself because of some aches, pains & sore feet. I.m sure this is par for the course.

Hello,
I have just signed up to this website as I am going to do the Camino in Sept. I will be taking my medical dog 'Patch' with me. Last September, I was diagnosed with a medical challange that is considered by many to be terminal. I have continued to live life fully, embrace each breath I take and I walk miles a day. I live in the Vancouver area. Although I have traveled and lived in other countries when I was younger, I know that now I could use some guidance embarking on this tremendous opportunity to 'just be' in such a beautiful, creative journey. Could you please offer some suggestions on easiest /cheapest flights, medical facilities (if necessary) etc. I would so appreciate any insights as Patch and I plan to take a month or more exploring, enjoying and excersizing our spirits.

Thank-you, Willow

Hello,
I have just signed up to this website as I am going to do the Camino in Sept. I will be taking my medical dog 'Patch' with me. Last September, I was diagnosed with a medical challange that is considered by many to be terminal. I have continued to live life fully, embrace each breath I take and I walk miles a day. I live in the Vancouver area. Although I have traveled and lived in other countries when I was younger, I know that now I could use some guidance embarking on this tremendous opportunity to 'just be' in such a beautiful, creative journey. Could you please offer some suggestions on easiest /cheapest flights, medical facilities (if necessary) etc. I would so appreciate any insights as Patch and I plan to take a month or more exploring, enjoying and excersizing our spirits.

Thank-you, Willow
Willow........I started this thread some time ago, and I do not know who is also reading this thread today. I certainly don't feel qualified to give an expert opinion on your proposed hike on the Camino, except to say that it is an arduous walk at the best of times, before even taking into consideration any medical concerns you have and the fact that you will be travelling with Patch. My initial reaction is one of trying to dissuade you from the attempt, if it is your intention to walk alone. The route is long and rough, there are great stretches where you are well away from civilisation never mind a major access road, should you require medical attention suddenly. Also using the Albergues enroute you will find little privacy and the accommodation is very basic and I know nothing about the rules and regulations of bringing along Patch. I would strongly recommend that perhaps you post your intentions with some of the people more experienced with the Camino. You will find them sincere, trustworthy and more knowledgeable than am I in giving an opinion. Ivar Rekve who runs this site, may be a good person to try and contact.
Respectfully
Neil.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
All the best.......

Brendan

Hi Brendan, hope to meet up & chat some.I'm due to arrive the 24th & intend to start the 25th. I will probably stay at Orrison the first night.
Bien Camino.

Hi Cyndy my daughter and I also plan starting in SJPP on 17 May! I turn 60 and she turns 30 so it will be a celebration of the starting of our new decades. Hope to meet you there!

My friend, just start off one foot in front of the other, stop when you need to, and enjoy yourself. It is not a race, it is a journey and if you go slow and relax it will be the trip of a lifetime......Good luck.....I started off a year ago today, and have heard from so many people I met on The Way today, it just wants me to start all over again!!.....Neil.

I have not done Camino yet- leaving Sept..... intend to make my own way... will make first week slow and get used to the daily walk... I think this is a good idea... 15 kms max first week and build up... best plan is to make plan that fits for YOU

Annie
Hi Annie, I leave from SJPDP on 6th September, hopefully I'll see you on the way.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I have yet to start my first Camino. You sharing your experience has been extremely helpful. I am 65 years and plan on making the Camino a way of life. Thank you again for your help.
Buen Camino

Jabaldo I am starting my Camino May 1. I live in upstate NY. Rochester area.
Welcome to the forum. I have been reading this forum daily and must admit love the excitement as I prepare for my Camino this September. I live in Oneonta and have so for the past 15 years. Our youngest goes off to college this August which is allowing my wife and I to live a dream. Stay in touch before, during and after your Camino experience. I would love to hear from you.
Buen Camino

Delighted to read the results of a large European dementia study suggesting rates of Alzheimer's disease are dropping in advanced economies with the suggestion it is due to lifestyle changes - particularly exercise. Whoop woo! So all us oldies addicted to Camino walking now have a nice simplistic explanation. "I'm doing to stay sane" has always made sense anyway.

Is there anyone arriving in Madrid on May 18th, that might want want some company going on to Pamplona?

Leaving Australia on the 17th Sept., but at the moment my training has been interrupted with a week in Hospital to remove some skin cancer on my shin, in bed for a week no movement followed by 2 weeks taking it easy.
Which gives me more time to think about leaving, time really slows down in hospital (first time in 50 years) but it will come time soon enough, those on the walk all the best.

Trevor
Rest up and then travel well Trevorcc. I competed my journey in 2013 and my heart aches to go again. Each time I think of it I feel so emotional that I think, "what's wrong with me?' The Camino was the most uplifting expedience of my life and my soul just wants to fly once more that's what's wrong with me. So my planning is under way and the heart beats faster in anticipation.

Patty I have just repeated your mantra to some others last week :)

Jeffrey I also will be on Camino Sept 2013- hope to meet you. leaving St jean Sept 18th :)

Annie
you'll be a day ahead of me!

Dear Neil:
Thank you for the incredible post. I am 61 years old and have dreamed of walking the Camino for years and years. I am finally realizing my dream in late October 2013. I am walking Leon to Santiago for my first adventure. I was doubting my ability and age, but your post has given me inspiration and courage.
Peggy
Peggy, I know this is an old thread but wondering how it went? I just turned 62 & have been training for a charity walk to see how my creaky bits would manage. How is it for a female in our age group in & out of the alberques and staying in close enough proximity to other pilgrims on the road for safety sake? I love hiking but haven't camped or backpacked (yet). I found a local group that does weekly 13 mile hikes. Will join them once the 108 heat indexes of August are behind us. How long did you hike Leon to Santiago? I am conserving that route 2nd week of May 2017

€149,-
Peggy, I know this is an old thread but wondering how it went? I just turned 62 & have been training for a charity walk to see how my creaky bits would manage. How is it for a female in our age group in & out of the alberques and staying in close enough proximity to other pilgrims on the road for safety sake? I love hiking but haven't camped or backpacked (yet). I found a local group that does weekly 13 mile hikes. Will join them once the 108 heat indexes of August are behind us. How long did you hike Leon to Santiago? I am conserving that route 2nd week of May 2017
@Suzi Wooldridge
I hope that Peggy will respond, but as a lady in my 60's who walked the Camino Frances alone last fall I thought that my reflections might be useful to you. The physical part of walking 20 km or so every day is not so difficult, if you like to walk. Just keep to your own pace and pay immediate attention to any discomfort which may indicate that you are overdoing it. I never felt particularly concerned about safety. There are generally lots of people walking the Camino Frances at the same time, so they look out for one another. Pay attention when walking on difficult terrain and especially when crossing or walking along roads. Traffic can be a hazard. You may find that walking poles help you to keep your balance and take some of the pressure off your joints. Try them out before you go. Albergues (pilgrim hostels) can be a challenge at first, what with co-ed dormitories and loud snorers. Bring ear plugs, try to ignore others when dressing or performing other private activities and hope that they will ignore you. Shower rooms have private stalls with doors, but you will have to learn to dry yourself and dress in a very small place. Pack your sense of humour. It will be your most useful asset. I left Leon on Oct. 31 and arrived in Santiago de Compostela on Nov. 17, so that took me eighteen days to walk approximately 310 km., 192.6 miles, taking the mileage from my guidebook. So that was about 17 km. or 10.3 miles per day, some days more, some less. Have fun planning your walk and getting in shape. Buen camino.

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back