• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Last minute decision to walk Camino

SteCorri

Hello all

Myself and my girlfriend have been talking for a while about how we would like to walk the camino but never planned too much about it. I recently just got an unexpected few days off work and we thought why not so we are now planning on walking the camino NEXT week (17 July) for about 6 or 7 days.
As you can probably tell we are not very well prepared for this. After doing a small bit of research I though the Ingles seemed like a good route because it can be done in about 6 days.
I was just wondering if anyone could help us out with a few questions
First off are we mad to be trying this with such a short time to prepare

Second the stages I was thinking of are
- Ferrol to Pontedeume - 25 kms
- Pontedeume to Betanzos - 20 kms
- Betanzos to Bruma - 29 kms
- Sigueiro to Santiago de Compostela 16 kms
Is there a albergue or hostel for each of these stages?
Also is the route well sign posted and what would the weather be like in July?

Iv done alot of reading of the forums here but finding it hard to find answer to some questions. If anyone could shed some light I would be very grateful
Thank you very much

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
John Walker's excellent guide to the Camino Ingles will give you all the information you need, along with a trawl of this forum.
Guide available to download from the CSJ bookshop on this site for a donation.
There are places to stay at all of your proposed stages - the walk can de done comfortably in 5 days.
Buen camino!

There is accomodation at all the stages you mention. However you seem to have missed Bruma to Sigueiro 24kms.
As Sojourner says it is good to have Johnnie's guide, downloadable from the CSJ website http://www.csj.org.uk/guides-online.htm for a donation.
This gives good directions and lists of accomodation from albergues to hostals and 'in between' your stages too. Also there is advice on the places where you need to carry some food and especially sufficient water, and where food etc is available.
It is a lovely Camino, just remember to get your credencial stamped from Ferrol and 2 a day for the Pilgrims' Office.
Buen Camino

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Thanks very much for all you responses I really appreciate it. Iv downloaded the CSJ guidebook and read through a tone of posts on the forum. My main concerns are not finding a albergue or hostel in some towns and having to spend money on a over priced hotel, and getting lost along the way because of lack of sign posts. Although I have read that once you have the guidebook and follow what signs there are everything will be grand, so im probably just over worrying over nothing.

We found the prices reasonable if you use the hostals not the hotels. Hospedaje Norte in Pontedeume for example was much cheaper than the big hotel by the end of the bridge.
With Johnnie's guide and the arrows you shouldn't get lost. Just be aware that by 'good view' Johnnie means a hill, 'excellent views' means a steep hill and 'cardiovascular excercise' means a very steep hill :lol:
Seriously - I managed them OK, and the comments were very helpful. The only one I found hard was the uphill road section out of Pontedeume. The track beyond Casa Julia was less of a problem than granite setts.
Have a great Camino

Typical prices last year: Hostal Cairo in Ferrol (the dearest) 25euros single en suite
Bar Louis in Pontedueme 13euros single en suite
Chocolateria in Betanzos 15euros single, shared bathroom
Albergue Hosp Bruma 5euros
Hostal Miras in Siguero 16euros single shared bathroom.
If you stay at the albergues at Neda and Mino, it will be cheaper still.
Plenty of yellow arrows - with JW's guide you won 't get lost. :D
As Tia said, the climb out of Pontedueme is STEEP!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi!

I don't remember the climb out of Pontedeume as much as the one up towards Bruma, which challenged me! :shock:

There are one or two things to be aware of that are different from many of the threads you'll read on this Forum that relate largely to the Camino Frances:
1) There are fewer pilgrims, although you're probably walking at the busiest time of year so there should be a few people around
2) The signposts with the scallop shell symbol point the way rather than simply indicating you're on the route. The 'fingers' of the shell point you in the right direction
3) There are fewer places along the way to collect stamps, so take your chances when they arise
4) I think you do have to be clearer about where you are heading for each day than on the Frances, as there are fewer intermediate options

You can pick up a credencial at the tourist office in Ferrol, but I think I was hanging around for a while waiting for it to open in the morning (maybe 9.30 or 10.00am), so if you can get one the night before or before you leave home that would be better.

It's a lovely walk. Buen Camino!

We visited the Tourist Office late afternoon on the day of our arrival in Ferrol. We panned to start next morning. The gentleman in the office stamped our credencial for next day so we didn't have to wait around til 10.00
Buen Camino

Most read last week in this forum

So, I managed to lose my lovely Tilley hat. Left behind I think, in a shop in Cambre. Going back for it not an option as the place is closed today, Sunday. Am I destined to arrive in Santiago...
Beautiful walking weather on the Camino Ingles today
On one of the FB forums, someone asked about detouring to Fragas do Eume, just outside of Pontedeume, and it looks amazing. Since I'm splitting up Ferrol - Pontedeume into two days (taking the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back