• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Last stage of the San Salvador?

StuartM

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2012)
Hi folks,

I am planning to walk the San Salvador in late August. I'm aiming for the four day route described in the CSJ guide which should get me to Pola de Lena in three days. From there I'm having a little diversion east to climb Pena Mea and just looking at the logistics of it.

The two options I have are to either bus it east, climb, bus back to where I left the San Salvador or walk east, climb and bus it to the outskirts of Oviedo. First option I reckon would take two days, second would take three.

Anyhow, my question is: what is the final stage of the San Salvador like? Just going by the guides I've seen it looks like the best of the scenery is behind you at Pola de Lena (may be wrong). If I bussed most of the rest of the way to Oviedo would I be missing much? The descriptions from Leon to Pola de Lena sound nice but the approach to Oviedo looks like any typical suburban landscapes from what I can see.

I'd like to say I walked the whole thing but I'm pushed for time so if there's a stretch worth skipping then I'm happy to do that if it means more time to enjoy the rest.

Thanks.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
StuartM:

The beginning of the Salvador from Leon to Carbajal (7km) is all city walking. There is some road and railway walking between La Pola de Gordon and Buiza.Pola De Lena to Mieres is a nice pedestrian pathway (15km). Mieres to Oviedo is beautiful hilly countryside passing through very small towns.

It is hard to say if you would miss much. I walked in early April and the valley's and hillsides were very lush while being surrounded by snow capped mountains. The mountains passes were tough because of snow drifts. Even though I had some bad weather, I found the entire walk very beautiful with the exception of the first seven Kilometers.

Other than Poladura, I found all the Albergues to be nice.

Hope this helps.

Ultreya,
Joe

From Pola to Mieres, there is a bit of road walking, then a very pleasant walk on a curb by the river. Once you cross Mieres, you climb to El Padrún over a tarmac road with NO TRAFFIC. I find it is a very nice climb, with great views. Then, only the last 2 k or so are urban landscape into Oviedo, it is a very nice approach.

Of course, do not expect to find the rugged wild mountains of Pajares, we are after all approaching a city, but I found it a very nice approach.

Buen camino!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
If I was going to skip anything, it would be the first 7 km. out of Leon, the stretch between Pola and Mieres (a couple of stops on the train line), and/or the final 5 km. into Oviedo. San Salvador has a little bit of everything, I LOVE it!

Reb.

Hi,

thanks for the advice, everyone. Very helpful.

I've had a small change of plan now but it looks like:

Day 1 (24th August): fly into Oviedo and bus to Leon with my eyes in my book so as not to spoil any of the surprise :) I may take the option of the bus out of Leon that afternoon to save a few miles
Day 2 (25th): Leon to La Robla
Day 3 (26th): La Robla to Poladura
Day 4 (27th): Poladura to Campomanes
Day 5 (28th): a diversion west from Campomanes to climb the Ubina massif, probably bivvying on or around Pena Ubina or in the mountain refuge near Tuiza
Day 6 (29th): finish the circuit of the massif and return to Campomanes, it adds another 50-60km on to the route but I think it may be worth it
Day 7 (30th): Campomanes to Mieres or maybe further on depending on how my legs are going. I'm hoping to knock the next day's walk to Oviedo down to 10km and might end up bivvying somewhere on the trail
Day 8 (31st): wherever I end up on the night before on to Oviedo and hopefully Naranco before (sadly) flying out that night

I had an extra day for contingencies but family commitments meant that I've had to lose that day so it's quite a committing walk now. Bussing that 7km out of Leon, much as I hate to skip a part of the route, is looking like an option as every mile is starting to matter. I really don't have much leeway but nothing like a bit of excitement :) The one place that I'm worried about eating time is the Ubina massif as I need to walk in and out. If I'm delayed there's no public transport that I can see.

I really cannot wait for it. Only a few weeks to go!

Cheers,

Stuart

Poladura-Campomanes can be a very long stretch, really, if you are short of time and want to fit so many things in your days, you can tray

leon-la robla by train
la robla-Pajares
Pajares-Campumanes

you can also split the first stage in

la Robla-Poladura
Poladura-Pajares
Pajares-Campumanes

the stretch between Buiza and Pajares is the most beautiful of all the caminos I have seen...

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Oh my goodness, Stuart,
Those pictures from angulero confirm your hunch that "it may be worth it" to take a little detour from Campomanes. It looks so beautiful, similar to the area around Fuente De on the Vadiniense.

If you can walk 50-60 high climb kms in two days from Campomanes, I don't think you'll need the little bus ride from Leon to shorten your day into La Robla. I think it's about 26 kms, so with the bus to Carbajales, you'll be down below 20. But as Reb says, those first kms from Leon are pretty typical suburbs and asphalt, so if you did want to take the bus, you could make the first day into Pola de Gordon, which I have done twice from Leon, and it's not so bad. Oh, but then if you take the bus out on Day 1 to Carbajales, where will you sleep?

In any event, I'm sure you'll have no problem getting to Campomanes on Day 3 from Leon, no matter how you break it up. And I hope you will report back on the detour and the rest of the Salvador, I am assuming the pilgrim numbers are rising, but I haven't heard much recently.

Hope you can see those Naranco buildings, and don't forget Santa Cristina de Lena a few kms outside Campomanes, it's another pre-romanesque marvel. My tip about Santa Cristina -- visiting hours and the phone number to call are on the door of the church. But the woman who has the key lives only a few steps away and she will happily come to open for you outside of official hours if she is around.

Buen camino, Laurie

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

Buen Camino pilgrims! I plan to walk the Del Salvador this summer, followed by the Primitivo, followed by the Portuguese (from Coimbra). What a summer I will have :) I am posting my current...
I will be walking the Norte starting at Bilbao later this month and am considering switching to the San Salvador after I get to Oviedo. I would be walking it in the reverse direction beginning...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.