• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Leaving Irun for Bilbao 29, 30 or 31 May - anyone else?

flynnlondon

Time of past OR future Camino
Planning SJPP to SDC walk March 2013
Hello all

I'm flying into Biarritz on the morning of the 29th May and hoping to take the bus down to Irun and get going. If you're around at that time to walk the coast, it'd be nice to touch base.

Slightly concerned about where to sleep at night, but I'm sure it'll work out somehow. I'm now heading out to find a very small sleeping bag!

Fiona

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hello all

I'm flying into Biarritz on the morning of the 29th May and hoping to take the bus down to Irun and get going. If you're around at that time to walk the coast, it'd be nice to touch base.

Slightly concerned about where to sleep at night, but I'm sure it'll work out somehow. I'm now heading out to find a very small sleeping bag!

Fiona

Hi Fiona.....Welcome:)
Look up http://www.gronze.com/ for details of Norte albergues, I find it really useful. Im arriving in Irun on 21st May and begin walking on 22nd so I will be there a few days before you! You could also call into tourist information in Irun for details, that's what I plan to do. There is a guide book also http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/185284681X/?tag=casaivar-21
Have a wonderful journey.
Buen Camino
Aidan :)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Fiona. I will be 24hrs ahead if you. I arrive in Irun on 27th and will set off on the 28th so there's a good chance our paths might cross along the way. I have the forum badge sewn onto my back pack so keep a look out.
Trish .

Hello all

Fiona
Hi we will be arriving in Irun on the 29th, will stay the night and then head off the next day.....see you along the Way.....we are from Australia Warren and Trudy

You may find a train from Biarritz Gare to Hendaye an easier way to get to Irun. It is just a short walk across the river from the Hendaye station and there are plenty of places to stay in Hendaye before you start your trek.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
thank you everyone - and the tip about the train is really helpful, Biarritz Don, and Mendi, I've downloaded that to my phone. Cheers!

Hey :) My flight arrives Bilbao (from Finland) early in Saturday 31th and then I am going to Irun for starting this journey. I think that I could start walking already at 31 but more probably I start walking at 1st in june from Irun, not sure yet. Before I decided to do camino frances but now I have changed my mind and I will do northern route. Somehow this northern route attracts me more. We could meet in Irun (?) if my times fit for you too, or perhaps we meet later on the road :)

Last edited:
Hey :) My flight arrives Bilbao (from Finland) early in Saturday 31th and then I am going to Irun for starting this journey. I think that I could start walking already at 31 but more probably I start walking at 1st in june from Irun, not sure yet. Before I decided to do camino frances but now I have changed my mind and I will do northern route. Somehow this northern route attracts me more. We could meet in Irun (?) if my times fit for you too, or perhaps we meet later on the road :)

I'll be a day ahead of you, but I'll be hanging out in San Sebastian over the weekend, I'm sure our paths will cross!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hello all,

While I have still two weeks of waiting, someone extremely dear to my heart has started walking yesterday. She should be spending tonight in Zarautz tonight. For those walking now, please keep an eye out for her. She is Dutch, and her name is Mariek. Tall, light skin, blond hair. I promise you will love her.

We originally met on the Camino in '05 on my first day out of SJPdP. She had already walked from Le Puy. We have been extremely close since.

She has also walked to Rome. She can take care of herself. She is great company.

If you do see her, please let her know "some dude from California" sent you.

Be well,
Simeon

Last edited:
I changed my plans so I will start my camino from Bilbao, 1st June. Thought that in my available time I cant (dont want to rush) walk to Santiago in time. So starting from Bilbao and later I may take camino primitivo, not sure yet. Buen Camino Flynnlondon, and others! :)

Hi simeon
I am with her right now. I've just read ur post to her!!! She says your the sweetest guy ever and ur beautiful . I feel like cupid :)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Oh, this makes me soo happy, Trish.

The Camino makes our world smaller.

She makes my world brilliant.

How is the go so far? Any input on what to expect when I start in two weeks?

Hi we are still walking together at the moment. We took the road most of the way from Monasterio De Zenarruzza to the Albergue Eskerika about 8k before Goikolexea today . Just expect mud! Lots and lots of mud!!

Most read last week in this forum

I walked the Camino Francés in Octobee 2022, from Villafranca del Bierzo to Santiago de Compostela, and loved it. I would like to walk the Camino del Norte as I'm drawn to the coast, culture and...
Hello everyone. I know that pre-booking accommodation has been discussed many, many times, so apologies but I wanted to be quite specific. We are walking from Irún to Bilbao in the first week of...
Hello! I am visiting Northern Spain for the first time this June and would am planning on hiking a small segment of the Camino. I've done a little research and decided to hike between Zarautz and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back