• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Leaving Soon! Now back Home.

JP

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2014 & 2017
Camino Portuguese 2016
Camino Del Norte 2019.
credential04.JPG We received our Credentials on Saturday 5th of April during a small Ceremony sponsored by our local "Québec to Compostelle" Association. We got our first Official sello/stamp on our Pilgrim's Passport in Canada to start us off on our Pilgrimage. When the Priest handed me my credential I really felt like a Pilgrim for the first time. Our flight to Paris leaves Montréal on the 18th of April and we will start walking on the 20th of April 2014.

DSC03333.JPG

Pilgrims who received the Credential with us, we are the first to leave and most will be leaving during the next few months. Oldest are in their late sixties and youngest is 18 years old (his first solo trip abroad and he is a bit nervous with no Spanish and very little English).

DSC03336.JPG

credential02.JPG

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Going to pick up our Credentials on Saturday 5th of April during a small Ceremony sponsored by our local "Québec to Compostelle" Association. Our flight to Paris leaves Montréal on the 18th of April and we will start walking on the 20th of April 2014.
I will be passing through Montreal on April 5th via Air Canada to London. Starting from SJPP on April 8th. Buen Camino!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Buen Camino JP

My first Camino I walked intermittently with a group of quebecois. We talked in french (je parle un petit peu...), except with an old and friendly guy who knew only the Quebec version. We could not understand each other....After many tries, we turned to English. Sadly, they stopped a day in Burgos, and I never met them again. Fond memories...
A bit of curios info: the cattle grids you find on the Camino, after Roncesvalles, are known in Navarre as "rejas canadienses". I don´t know why.
Buen camino!

Going to pick up our Credentials on Saturday 5th of April during a small Ceremony sponsored by our local "Québec to Compostelle" Association. Our flight to Paris leaves Montréal on the 18th of April and we will start walking on the 20th of April 2014.

I start my first camino on April 27th, 2014.
Can I ask what these credentials are that you are picking up on April 5th?
As far as I am aware of all I need to bring with me in my travel passport. All other documents are acquired at Saint Jean at the pilgrim office such as the pilgrim passport.
Am I missing something?

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
As far as I am aware of all I need to bring with me in my travel passport. All other documents are acquired at Saint Jean at the pilgrim office such as the pilgrim passport.
Am I missing something?

Hello ilovelife,

In a word............................................................................................NO.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
ilovelife, some of us get too excited to wait to get the credential (Pilgrim's passport) at the start of our walk, so we arrange to get it ahead of time, that's all.

Pilgrim's Passport/Credential same thing, we chose to get ours at home instead of waiting for our arrival in St-Jean. In Medieval times, Pilgrims would have a Ceremony in their Hometown with a Mass and then the whole Village would accompany the Pilgrims to the limit of town to send them off on their Pilgrimage. Our local Pilgrim's Association allows us to follow in this tradition. The day will be spent with a Mass, formal presentation of our credentials, a group walk and finally a communal evening meal. I have been told by experienced Pilgrims that in France, if you start from Puy en Velay a similar Ceremony (Mass & Presentation of the Credential) is held at the Cathedral for Pilgrims's starting off on their Camino.

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
"with an old and friendly guy who knew only the Quebec version. We could not understand each other"

There several variations of french spoken in Québec and New Brunswick. A lot of old 16th Century french words are still in use mixed in with some English words that have been adapted to french pronounciation . In the USA, Southern American and Boston or New York English is quite different.

"A bit of curios info: the cattle grids you find on the Camino, after Roncesvalles, are known in Navarre as "rejas canadienses"."

The Canadian Gate also known as the Texas Gate in the USA has its origin in Western Areas of North America.

Update 6th of April 2014.

... youngest is 18 years old (his first solo trip abroad and he is a bit nervous with no Spanish and very little English...
He will find many Francophiles on the Camino. My advice to him would be to quickly find his Camino family among them so that he may start with one less worry. I predict that he'll be picking up basic Spanish phrases very quickly once he gets started. Buen Camino to all in the photo.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
...The Canadian Gate also known as the Texas Gate in the USA has its origin in Western Areas of North America.
That's funny -- while I now live in Colorado, I grew up and spent most of my life in Texas. I never saw or heard the term "Texas Gate" until I was in the campground at Lake Louise in Banff National Park in British Columbia. In Texas, we called them cattle guards. If you walk the Napoleon route from SJPP to Roncesvalles, you'll pass one at the border between France and Spain -- I wonder if the Spanish call it a "French Gate" or the French call it a "Spanish Gate"? :D

Sitting at the Montreal Aiport and wating to board our plane to Paris. It is the first leg of our journey to St Jean Pied de Port and tomorrow we will be at the gates of Spain.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Buen Camino! What a thrill it must be to finally be getting underway. Looking forward to starting my own pilgrimage in September.

Am I missing something?

My wife Lynne and I are also starting April 27 th.
We'll probably run into each other. We live in London On.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
CU somewhere SJ-Orrison on the 27th. Will be staying in L'Albergue de Pellegrin from the 26th. Will enjoy exploring SJ.

After yesterday's (more) snow, :eek: I look forward to leaving Norway coming Wednesday...

IMG_0088[1].JPG

A sunny afternoon at a cafe in warm Spain with a cold beer after a good day's walk sounds much more tempting... I shall not complain about hot days...:D

DSCN0021.JPG

I can relate to that first feeling like a Pilgrim the moment you get that credential in your hands! Happy for you guys! Buen Camino!!

In St-Jean Pied de Port finally at our Hotel tonight. No snow in the Mountain. But rain in the coming week, time to get the ponchos out.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
My prayers for a safe passage are with you and all pilgrims. Buen camino!

We are now in Zubiri and heading to Pamplona tomorrow morning. Camino is the hardest thing I ever did, and we are to old, to fat and are packs are to heavy, but we are pressing on. We thank God every night for our pain killer. Boots fit great and no sign of blister on the feet!

Get rid of excess weight in your backpack and walk happily ever after. Give serious thoughts to what you carry that you really don't need, or turn it around: What is it in your backpack that you REALLY need? Remember, it is possible to buy things you need in Spain...;)

Remember to stop earlier on days where you feel that your feet are protesting: Without your feet, it will be hard to reach Santiago.

Buen Camino!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Not a spiritual or religious journey for us anymore. It is now just a matter of survival, looking down three feet ahead of us and putting one foot ahead of the other. We are now in Viana, 2 days behind our schedule.

Press on and you will find your transformation and it will become a religious and spiritual journey at that point. Do not give in to negative thought. Be thankful for the breath in your lungs and the sights before you. I promise you when you reach the church the walls you climb to get there will be worth it. You are doing it and that is commendable.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Not a spiritual or religious journey for us anymore. It is now just a matter of survival, looking down three feet ahead of us and putting one foot ahead of the other. We are now in Viana, 2 days behind our schedule.
You are never behind schedule on the Camino. Listen to the pace the Camino is giving to you.

Ultreya, JP!

JP,

You have been on my mind ever since I read your post. I don't know what you are going through physically because I have not yet done my Camino. It is coming in September. I have read, though, that the first third of the Camino purifies our bodies. At first a pilgrim is only aware of his physical nature and discomfort. The second part purifies our minds. Our bodies have become physically adjusted to the rigors of the path and our minds and emotions are free to process whatever is troubling or deeply buried. Finally, the third part, the spiritual part, surfaces after our bodies and minds have been purified. As I said, JP, I can't speak from experience, but I expect that might be the truth. Hopefully very soon your body will be adjusted. Wishing you a Buen Camino!

Mary

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
JP, I just thought of something else; I am unable to find it now but about a month ago I read something someone had posted in the Forum that I found inspiring: "I love the walk! I hate the walk! I am the walk."

JP,

You have been on my mind ever since I read your post. I don't know what you are going through physically because I have not yet done my Camino. It is coming in September. I have read, though, that the first third of the Camino purifies our bodies. At first a pilgrim is only aware of his physical nature and discomfort. The second part purifies our minds. Our bodies have become physically adjusted to the rigors of the path and our minds and emotions are free to process whatever is troubling or deeply buried. Finally, the third part, the spiritual part, surfaces after our bodies and minds have been purified. As I said, JP, I can't speak from experience, but I expect that might be the truth. Hopefully very soon your body will be adjusted. Wishing you a Buen Camino!

Mary
Mary,
Where did you read this? I'm not sure how Sarria fits into the third part but other than that, I like the simile.

Mary,
Where did you read this? I'm not sure how Sarria fits into the third part but other than that, I like the simile.
Hi, Indyinmaine. :)

The first time I came across the idea was in a YouTube video. It's a 75 minute video, so I checked for you. The description I mentioned came at 19:20 and lasts about a minute.

I believe I have encountered this same concept in my readings, too, but can't think where exactly. If you have read Father Kevin Codd's book To the Field of Stars: A Pilgrim's Journey to Santiago de Compostela (Thanks, @RobertS26 for the recommendation!) you will find the theme at least is similar, if not expressly stated.

I'm not sure how the pilgrim experience from Sarria works as I very much doubt one can condense the "cleansing" experience. I imagine from Sarria one would just experience the physical, but not having walked a mile of the Camino, I am not at all qualified to say! ;)

Mary

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi, Indyinmaine. :)

The first time I came across the idea was in a YouTube video. It's a 75 minute video, so I checked for you. The description I mentioned came at 19:20 and lasts about a minute.

I believe I have encountered this same concept in my readings, too, but can't think where exactly. If you have read Father Kevin Codd's book To the Field of Stars: A Pilgrim's Journey to Santiago de Compostela (Thanks, @RobertS26 for the recommendation!) you will find the theme at least is similar, if not expressly stated.

I'm not sure how the pilgrim experience from Sarria works as I very much doubt one can condense the "cleansing" experience. I imagine from Sarria one would just experience the physical, but not having walked a mile of the Camino, I am not at all qualified to say! ;)

Mary
Pace e bene!

JP,
I write as someone who never reached the luxury of the physical part of the walk being in the background. It was always a challenge. But looking at your photographs in this thread, I think it is much harder right now than it needs to be. I am assuming that you are one of the people in the first picture. I noticed that your pack does not have a real waistbelt. The weight of your pack should be resting on your hips, not your shoulders or your back. If you are still using this pack on the Camino, I think it is time to take a rest day and get fitted with a pack that has this feature. I think you will be pleasantly surprised what a difference this will make. You'll want to do it before your next Camino, so you might as well do it now while you can benefit from it. (I know. I know. Once I finished, I was never going to do it again either. :( :rolleyes:)

I apologize if this comment seems too bold and should have been sent as a PM. The forum has a lot of talk about packs but the comments usually focus on brands and capacity. I know from seeing North American brands here in Europe, just because a pack is a specific brand does not mean it has all of the features that it should have.

Yes, pack has a waist belt. Not wearing it in photo. Big problem is weight, after walking now I would not start with a pack of more than 8 kilos. Heavy pack destroyed our feet coming down the rocky hills. We are now in Belorado, 2 1/2 days behing scedule. My friend has not been walking for a few days, under doctor's advice and traveling by taxi with the packs ahead of me. I am still walking, we hope to start walking again together on Monday. We will send stuff home and have our packs forwarded a head of us for a few days so my friend's feet have a chance to get back to normal. My feet have started to heel also.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
After many changes to plans and some traveling by taxi by my friend I have been able to walk to Fromista
. Packs are being transported ahead of us, but at least for the last two days we have walking together again. We are only one day behind schedule by skipping our rest day in Burgoz.

Cool in the morning, but burning hot in the afternoon with suntan oil required.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
We spent two day resting in Leon. After many compromises we are walking again, we are now in Villar Mazarife.​

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
JP:
What is the weather like? Has it gotten significantly cooler? There appears to be a 20-30 degree Fahrenheit difference between Navarre and Galicia right now. That is a big swing in temperature and just trying to see if you noticed the coolness more on the ground.

Rambler

It has been raining on and off for the last two days, most of the day is cold with small periods of sun. Evenings are freezing, with very damp weather.

We arrived in Santiago on the 27 of May around 1 PM and received our Compostellas. We attended the Pilgrims Mass and saw the Botafumeiro in action yesterday the 28th.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
We have been back home for about three weeks now and feet are still sore ! , We lost 25 pounds each during our walk, and I wish I never see another Church, Cathedral or Monastery in my life ! Beautifull scenery, friendly locals and I met interesting people from around the world while walking. Glad I did it, but next time I am going to Hawaii instead!
compostellajohn.jpg
compstellafrancine.jpg

Good job!!! You should be very proud on every level.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Congratulations, JP! Before you head off to Hawaii or back to Spain, you might want to walk the 215km 'camino' in the Saguenay region of Quebec, the Sentier Notre-Dame Kapatakan. www.sentiernotredamekapatakan.org
I am walking it in a few weeks with my Danish friend who I met on my 2011Camino and with the two Quebec cousins that we met in Auch and walked with on the Arles/Aragones Caminos last July. My Danish friend is coming to visit me in Waterloo and we are looking forward to a reunion with our Quebec friends and a nice, long walk. The Camino never ends.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.