• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Lessons learned from the temporary "Missing Pilgrim"

Bajaracer

Camino Frances 2013 Jun-Jul SJPDP to Finisterre
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2013) Jun-Jul SJPDP to Finisterre
There are a some lessons to be learned from this incident, the Pilgrim was found safe and had no idea anybody was even looking for him.

When you walk the Camino, it is something that you do by yourself, there is no one to tell you how far to walk, how fast to walk, and how much to carry etc.
You have to remember that it's not all about you, think in the back of your mind, there are family and friends back at home who are concerned about you when you go on the Camino and will be looking forward to your return when you are finished.
The easiest thing to do before you leave is establish some plan of communication with those you leave behind at home, and if you choose, a way for them to contact you.
Make a "travel plan" with your pertinent information before you leave, give them some information of the route you are using and your best estimation of the time you'll be away.
I understand you might get absorbed into "your Camino" but also remember the ones that you leave behind at home, they are thinking about you even if you're not thinking about them.

Last edited:
A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
and on our online end of the equation, it might be a good idea to check if there´s already a thread on the topic before starting another one.
Oh, Rebekah! At least two of the threads were started by newcomers, both who appear to have joined immediately before posting. My observation is that newcomers are far less likely to understand how to navigate the board to find if a topic has been raised previously. I suspect if someone joins just to gather support for finding for a purportedly missing person, I doubt they are interested in understanding the courtesies involved in a new forum. I know it sometimes stretches one's patience, but we still try and help when already well discussed questions are re-raised, even if it means repeating advice we might have given many times before.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Aside from the observations concerning how or how NOT to use this forum regarding "lost" pilgrims, I would encourage every pilgrim to pre-plan occasional "assurance" contact with loved ones and friends.

For example, if you were going boating (a float plan), traveling to a foreign place (contact info), or going off into the wilds somewhere (a route plan and itinerary), this is a more-or-less standard practice. These advance notices allow people to find you should you get lost, injured, or otherwise go unexpectedly "off the grid." This is particularly important for women planning to do a Camino solo.

Personally, I am expected to phone my elderly mother at 10:00 am each and every Sunday morning (her time) from wherever in the world I happen to be. This can be dicey if one is, say in Thailand or Malaysia. But from Europe, she is only six-hours behind me. So, I set an alarm on my mobile for the appropriate day and time. Sometimes, I get caught up in things or do not have a strong enough signal to call. She has come to understand that I will call as soon as I am able and does not panic, as long as I contact her that day.

Also, I quite agree with people who make the case that the Camino is a time for getting away from the intrusion of modern conveniences. The Camino should be a time for quiet contemplation, enjoyment, and living in the moment. I use my devices as tools. They are available when needed, but used constantly.

My practice is to turn off all the electronics, except a camera, until I arrive at my daily destination and accommodation. Then and there, I power up the mobile to check for any important texts. This avoids distractions during the day, and extends battery life. Communications with "the world" are, thus, on my terms. I usually only check for messages once each evening.

My family and close friends are informed before I leave home that sending a text message is the best way to get a message to me. Later, and if I can find a strong enough Wi-Fi signal, I will use my iPod Touch to check my e-mail.

Also, before I leave, I set a "vacation" auto-reply message on my e-mail service provider's server, so everyone who sends me an e-mail gets a standard message that says "I am away on Camino from (date) to (date) and to please not send me e-mail for the duration." After a few days, this usually reduces e-mail to adverts and news alerts I set up previously, plus a very few messages from others who know I will reply to them as I can. I typically delete the informational only messages en masse as soon as they drop into my local "in box." For the duration 0of my Camino, I try to minimize intrusion from the outside world.

All of this said, part of having a worry-free Camino is reassuring those you leave behind that you are okay. I suggest that it should be part of the standard pre-Camino planning you make at home.

A simple SMS / text from you to one family member or friend that states "Reached (town). All fine (Your name)." should be enough to provide assurance that you are okay. I found myself doing that every few days, as I have elderly parents and a sister who cares for them. They followed my progress on a map of the Camino I provided for them.

Also, this preempts people "back in the world" from freaking out because they are having text or e-mail withdrawal from your normal communication pattern. Your failure to communicate regularly is not the problem.

Remember, it is not YOU who has the problem. It is usually the folks you left behind who get anxious.

I hope this helps.

How times have changed! On my first trip to Europe in the late 70s, my mother would have panicked if I had phoned. She would have thought there was an emergency! Even today, my wife doesn't expect me to call before I arrive at Santiago. I think it's about the expectations one sets. If you say you will be in touch, do so. But if you aren't going to, make sure mum, etc know.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
As someone has already pointed out its all about expectations. In the ninety's I went off with my son into the wilderness for a couple
of weeks at a time with no contact back home apart from a post card, maybe.

I'll suggest that the problem arises when there is an uneven expectation of reporting in. Such as when a traveler is 'forced' by a concerned loved one to promise to call often.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
How times have changed! On my first trip to Europe in the late 70s, my mother would have panicked if I had phoned. She would have thought there was an emergency! Even today, my wife doesn't expect me to call before I arrive at Santiago. I think it's about the expectations one sets. If you say you will be in touch, do so. But if you aren't going to, make sure mum, etc know.
Remember aerograms? I lived in the Middle east in the early 80s. Phone calls were almost out of the question. But there were aerograms.

My first Camino, my daughter had me take a great gadget called SPOT. I would push a button and it would send an email to her. Another button sent a message I needed help. The "last" button, once pushed, dispatched a helo! All while including a "real time" Google Earth position. My second Camino, I left SPOT at home and took my IPhone. I sent pictures, text messages, a video and spent my relaxation time answering emails. My third Camino I walked the Way. It was crowded with grand vistas, exciting people, historical places, great restaurants and, not a few, bars. The difference between my first and most recent Camino...my daughter can't tell that I'm at the same bar three days in a row!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...
Today is Sunday and I finished my Camino from León on Friday. The thing is I am feeling off balanced. I feel like I am not done. Last night I started feeling anxious with the thought of going back...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back