• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Madrid accommodation

Kiwi-family

{Rachael, the Mama of the family}
Time of past OR future Camino
walking every day for the rest of my life
I had booked into Hostal Buelta, but my travel agent gave the incorrect arrival date and so now I need to change it. I have contacted the hostal but not yet heard back from them - however, from looking at the online booking, there is not room for us there on the night we need.
Living Mad Hostel is also booked out.
Any other CHEAP suggestions? I guess there's always the floor at Atocha Station where we'll catch our train from the next day, but I had hoped to have one good sleep after flying from NZ.

Just when I thought we were all ready!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I had booked into Hostal Buelta, but my travel agent gave the incorrect arrival date and so now I need to change it. I have contacted the hostal but not yet heard back from them - however, from looking at the online booking, there is not room for us there on the night we need.
Any other CHEAP suggestions? I guess there's always the floor at Atocha Station where we'll catch our train from the next day, but I had hoped to have one good sleep after flying from NZ.

Hi, Rachel,
My favorite cheap place is not right at Atocha, the Hostal Bruna, it is right across the boulevard from the Prado. But if you go to booking.com, search for places near Atocha, and then sort by price, there are several highly rated places very close to Atocha (Hostal Parajas, Pension Mollo, Hostal Riviera) all around 25 for a double.

You must be getting very very excited. Buen camino, Lauie

My favorite is right across the street from Atocha and is the Hostal Residencia Fernandez. Although the closer you get to the date, the higher the prices get...

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thanks for the suggestions. Some were already booked out. We've ended up at
Hostal La Jerezana - doesn't look anything special, but location is fine and it's only 34E for three of us. Not bad for the heart of Madrid! There's even a kitchen so we can bring buckwheat muesli from home and not have to go shopping when we arrive - although the kids are keen to get into some Spanish food! Yes, Laurie, we are getting excited. And now that this hiccup is sorted, we are all set to go.

Hostal Abaaly.

I just booked into Las Torres Hostal, mostly cause its an easy walk from Atocha, AND the yellow Aeroport bus stops at Atocha so getting into the city only costs 5 Euros. Not sure if that helps. I did see LOTS of great options via Trip Advisor/Booking.com, and there was no booking fee, and no payment til arrival.
Buen Camino - Buen Madrid first.....
Terry

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hello, Camino friends, I need your help with a place to stay in Madrid close to the Av. de Americas Bus station. My flight Houston-Madrid arrives late, so I will have to leave next day early by bus to Pamplona and from there to SJPDP next day. I appreciate your help. Thank you

Hello, Camino friends, I need your help with a place to stay in Madrid close to the Av. de Americas Bus station. My flight Houston-Madrid arrives late, so I will have to leave next day early by bus to Pamplona and from there to SJPDP next day. I appreciate your help. Thank you
Odem-- there are frequent buses that leaves from Barajas Airport Terminal 4 to Pamplona, the last one leaves about 7:45pm. If I have an early flight out of Barajas I usually stayed at Best Western Barajas http://www.bestwestern.es/hotel-villadebarajas/. They have a free shuttle that you call once you are done picking up your luggage and they come and get you. Great buffet breakfast included and there is a metro station two blocks away. They would also drop you back at Terminal 4 so that you can get on your bus to Pamplona. I have been to both areas and I would stay at Barajas if given the choice.

Odem-- there are frequent buses that leaves from Barajas Airport Terminal 4 to Pamplona, the last one leaves about 7:45pm. If I have an early flight out of Barajas I usually stayed at Best Western Barajas http://www.bestwestern.es/hotel-villadebarajas/. They have a free shuttle that you call once you are done picking up your luggage and they come and get you. Great buffet breakfast included and there is a metro station two blocks away. They would also drop you back at Terminal 4 so that you can get on your bus to Pamplona. I have been to both areas and I would stay at Barajas if given the choice.

Thank you Olivares. I will check into it. I was under the understanding that in order to get to Pamplona by bus I had to go to the Av.Americas bus station. I do prefer to leave from the airport as soon as I arrive and spend the night in Pamplona to get to SJ the following day.

Thank you so much.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thank you Olivares. I will check into it. I was under the understanding that in order to get to Pamplona by bus I had to go to the Av.Americas bus station. I do prefer to leave from the airport as soon as I arrive and spend the night in Pamplona to get to SJ the following day.

Thank you so much.

Hi, Odem
If you miss the 7:45 pm bus, there is one that leaves at 1 am and gets to Pamplona at 5 in the morning. All buses from Av. America to Pamplona also make a stop at the airport, except for the noon bus (if I am reading the schedule right -- got to www.movelia.es and you can see all the times).

What time do you arrive in Madrid? Buen camino, Laurie

Hi, Odem
If you miss the 7:45 pm bus, there is one that leaves at 1 am and gets to Pamplona at 5 in the morning. All buses from Av. America to Pamplona also make a stop at the airport, except for the noon bus (if I am reading the schedule right -- got to www.movelia.es and you can see all the times).

What time do you arrive in Madrid? Buen camino, Laurie

Hello! Thank You so much for coming to my rescue once again...
I am arriving at 2:30 at Barajas May 1st. If my plane is on time, I would like to try to get to Pamplona early enough to get a place to sleep (after traveling for so many hours, I will be almost dead by the time I get to Pamplona).
If for any reason, I am not able to get the 4-4:30 bus to Pamplona, I will have to stay in Madrid and leave early next day to be able to catch the afternoon bus to SJ.

What are your thoughts on this? If I have to stay in Madrid, where would you stay?

Thank you,

Hi Peregrina, thanks for the Novelia Info. If my flight is on time (14:30) and I can get to the bus in 45 minutes, I may be able to catch the 15:15 bus arriving Pamplona at 20:15. I will check the airport maps to know where to go. If that effort fails, I will stay in Madrid and leave next day.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi, Odem,
If you're going on a weekday, there is also a bus that leaves from Av. Americas at 4:30 pm (no stop at Barajas). If you didn't arrive in time for the 3:15 bus, you could probably hop on a Madrid bus and get to the Av. Americas bus station. The 200 bus goes from the airport to what they call the Intercambiador, which is where the municipal buses and the long distance buses meet up.

Do you know what terminal you are arriving in? If you arrive in T4 (terminal for Iberia and its partner One World airlines, including American and BA), it will be a little quicker. The Pamplona bus only stops in T4. You can get from one terminal to another on an airport bus that runs frequently, but a total of 45 minutes for immigration etc may be too little. Are you checking anything?

If you have to stay in Madrid, Olivares has a good idea, I think. But if you want to see a little of Madrid, it's super easy and fast to get into the center with the commuter train lines. There are lots of places to stay that are well connected for the trip the next day to the Av. Americas bus stop (if you stay in downtown Madrid, it's probably quicker to leave from Av. Americas rather than go back to the airport, but if you do what Olivares suggested, you will just have a quick hotel bus hop back to the airport). Buen camino, Laurie

Hello! Thank You so much for coming to my rescue once again...
I am arriving at 2:30 at Barajas May 1st. If my plane is on time, I would like to try to get to Pamplona early enough to get a place to sleep (after traveling for so many hours, I will be almost dead by the time I get to Pamplona).
If for any reason, I am not able to get the 4-4:30 bus to Pamplona, I will have to stay in Madrid and leave early next day to be able to catch the afternoon bus to SJ.

What are your thoughts on this? If I have to stay in Madrid, where would you stay?

Thank you,

Odem-- regardless of arrival time to Madrid, you do not have to stay in Madrid upon arrival unless you want to. Between a combination of buses leaving from Barajas Terminal 4, those leaving from Avda. Las Americas, and the train combos leaving from Chamartin o Atocha you have a number of choices of transport Madrid-Pamplona after 4pm. Regarding how much time to allow for disembarcation and getting to Terminal 4, I would allow a minimum of 60 minutes. Flights from the US typically arrive at Terminal 2, so you will have to disembarck, clear immigration, clear customs (both fairly quick processes), and then find your way to Terminal 4, which is a bus that goes around frequently.

There are plenty hostels near the Pamplona bus station; Pamplona is a lovely, fairly safe city. A hostel called Corazon Puro http://www.corazonpuro.es/Enghome.html is gaining quite a following among the Pilgrims community with a good reputation for courteous and good service in providing a reasonably priced package deal for lodging in Pamplona, meals, and transportation to SJPDP. I have never stay with them but keep reading good reviews. Something to consider. Buen Camino!!!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
...A hostel called Corazon Puro http://www.corazonpuro.es/Enghome.html is gaining quite a following among the Pilgrims community with a good reputation for courteous and good service in providing a reasonably priced package deal for lodging in Pamplona, meals, and transportation to SJPDP....

May I offer this further clarification. Barbara and István, the gracious hosts of CorazonPuro will meet you in Pamplona, transport you to their pension in Bizkarreta/Viscarret (not Pamplona) for overnight lodging with meals and next morning offer further transport to either Roncesvalles or SJPdP as you wish.

MM

I'm staying at the Way Hostel in Madrid, 14.99 for a shared dorm, private room prices are reasonable and they're located close to puerta del sol

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.