• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Many Rivers to Cross..?

marji

Time of past OR future Camino
yes
Hi all,
I am stepping out from Seville mid May and am relieved to hear the trail is drying out a little!
Are there many rivers to cross in the first stage and, in your experience, what is the best method for crossing? I am used to walking Camino Frances in the height of Summer! No river crossing there

Also, is Via de la Plata well way-marked? I am not taking a formal guide book- just print outs and personal notes.

Thanks for all the posts. so helpful.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi, marji,

The big challenge in the first stage from Sevilla to Guillena is the arroyo de los molinos. I've crossed it twice, both times in early May. The water level was pretty high, but both times I was able to get across by sitting down on a tree trunk and shimmey-ing across. It probably would have been easier to take off my boots and walk. There's a fair amount of growth to the left and right of the place where water accumulates, and it's definitely worth taking a look in the trees/shrubs to see whether either side offers dry passage. Since you'll be passing in mid-May, the level will probably be lower still.

There is another little stream (hopefully, that's the state it's in when you cross) right before you enter Guillena, but a work-around up on the road is obvious and easy. Leaving Guillena, there's another possible flooding spot, but again it's easy to see and has an obvious way to take a road detour. Then there's some leaving Fuente de Cantos, etc etc..... you'll be fine, just be prepared to take off your boots and walk a few times.

I found the marking to be excellent and didn't have a guidebook, though I did print out some of the Eroski pages. If you read Spanish, that's all you need, it's very clear and concise. And there's a print option that is pretty condensed http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es/lle ... al-camino/

Buen camino, Laurie

Fantastic Laurie. Thanks for the information. I love how Nature-trees in your case-help support our journey. Yes, may water levels continue drop!
Relieved to hear the trail is well marked. I most certainly am not a "map person". But seems part of camino-passage to get lost at some point!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Marji.

Laurie gave some great answers. I've walked the VDLP in spring/fall, so always when things are wet. You're not really crossing lots of big rivers (unless you're on a bridge), but streams can form in lots of places. Still, the only time I had to take my boots off and wade (calf-deep) across a stream was around the A-66 a few miles outside of Aldeanueva del Camino. As Laurie said, you can detour through Guillena if the stream just outside of town is too deep (I've done that twice). The previous section Laurie mentioned -- a little ways outside of Santiponce -- I've always been able to get around by walking through the bushes to the right of the path. I've never seen a log I could use to shimmy across as she did.

Have fun! I'm so envious. I don't think I'll get back until early 2014.

Melanie

Thanks Melanie,
Seems you are heeding a "camino-call" if you are roaming these forums.
Maybe you shall step out sooner rather than later!? I am so looking forward to this wonderful adventure. I do have another query -writing of streams/rivers. Is water clear and ok to drink
(i.e. no residue from spraying surrounding pastures with toxic chemicals like where I live).

I do have another query -writing of streams/rivers. Is water clear and ok to drink

If you are referring to drinking water in streams I would say deffinitely do not, Particularly after this winter when some, normally drinkable fountains, have been marked as undrinkable. Fountains are generally safe, though some will be marked 'non-potable' (not drinkable), locals have probably been drinking from these fountains for years but they have also built up resistence to Hepatitis A :!:
If water fountains are marked 'potable' you are safe, if it is evidently there for drinking purposes and doesn't say anything you are safe. Streams, rivers and the clothes washing areas are almost bound to give you something very nasty :cry:

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Yes, I was referring to filling up the bottle at creeks etc. important advice. Thanks.

marji said:
Thanks Melanie,
Seems you are heeding a "camino-call" if you are roaming these forums.
Maybe you shall step out sooner rather than later!? I am so looking forward to this wonderful adventure. I do have another query -writing of streams/rivers. Is water clear and ok to drink
(i.e. no residue from spraying surrounding pastures with toxic chemicals like where I live).

Under normal situations I would suggest it is safe to drink the water from the local town foundations if it does not state the water is non portable.

However given the record levels of rainfall this winter and spring in this region, I would suggest you a better off buying bottled water or filling your bottle from a tap inside the albergue.
A number of people of complained of stomach issues this this walk and question how clean the ground water is in some places.

I would not under any situation drink water from the various streams. Water flowing throught farm lands is probably the most polluted water you can come across in Europe.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
In the beginning of May 2011 the arroyos in the national park El Berrocal were very highlevelled and you had to balance on steppingstones to get over. Next day before El real de la Jara you had to wade throught 2 arroyos. After El Real you had to wade to enter Extremadura. Then the big arroyo near Fuente de Cantos. i used my croqs for wading, don't do it barefoot.
Randi

Crocs and polluted toxic rivers (in terms of drinking). Noted...
I hear adding a few drops of iodine solution to fountain or tap water is a means to counter any potential bacteria. I am considering taking a wee bottle.

Annie, I will be in Seville two days after you take a bus for Zafra!
If you have a rest day and I am inspired to walk a series of 30 plus kms we may well meet.
Thanks for the info everybody
Buen Camino!

Most read last week in this forum

I have been reading 2 different reports (on FB and instagram) about (an) agressive dog(s) just after Oseira. I'll post them here: In the group of @geraldkelly on FB (4 days ago): Hello lovely Via...
Hi all! Once again I am heading back to Spain; this time to walk much of the Sanabres with my son; starting in Rionegro del Puente after a few sightseeing days first in Salamanca and Zamora...
After a smooth and uneventful flight from Chicago to Madrid on Iberia, the last three days we have been doing some sightseeing in Salamanca and Zamora, and our days have been sunny, a little cool...
I’m at Almadén de la Plata at the moment, and my options for tomorrow are to go as far as El Real de la Jara (approx 14km) or continue on to Monesterio (approx 34km). 34 km is a bit far for day 4...
After 13 days of walking I've finished my 337km walk on the Camino Sanabres, and my entire 1400km walk from Almería. Yay! If anyone's interested in a day-by-day report, you can find it on my...
For anyone around Sevilla, next Saturday marks the end of the annual week long fiesta. I have just had a conversation, as I do weekly (to help her with English), with a friend who is from there...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back