1. New here?
    We have accumulated over 10 years of Camino Questions and Answers.
    Please Sign Up and plan your camino with us. Buen Camino! Ivar

maps from Le Puy to St Jean-Pied-de-Port

Discussion in 'The Le Puy Route' started by wayfarer, Aug 30, 2008.

1. wayfarer

wayfarer Well-Known Member Donating Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    SJPP-Santiago-Finistera-Muxia. April/May 2012
    Sarria-Santiago Sept. 2013
    SJPP - Almost Orrison April 2014
    I have found several maps on this site from St Jean to Santiago, but cannot find any from Le Puy to St Jean. Is there any out there or on site

2. Theo

Theo Member

It’s true it’s difficult to find on websites maps from Le Puy to St-Jean-Pied-de-Port....

... so if you like to walk with maps the only thing you have to do is to buy the 3 “topoguides” of the” Sentier vers Saint-Jacques-de-Compostelle” published by the FF Randonnée ...

http://www.ffrandonnee.fr/topos/topoGuidesCatalResult.aspx?t=gr&v=65

... where you’ll find French IGN maps, at the scale of 1:50,000, of the way from Le Puy to St-Jean.

I did Le Puy – Conques last June with only the maps photocopied of the first guide (Le Puy – Figeac). The description is not necessary.

3. KiwiNomad06

KiwiNomad06 Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Le Puy-Santiago(2008) Cluny-Conques+prt CF(2012)
    Nearly everyone who walks the Le Puy route carries the Miam Miam Dodo guide with them, and this has route maps. (It is available from CSJ.) MMD have a website that includes maps and some gite listings. http://www.chemindecompostelle.com/Selection/CarteFrance.html If you click on a rectangle, it brings up more detail for that area. It is much harder to get internet access in France than in Spain though, so you wouldn't be able to rely on regular access to this site en route.

The MMD book also has listings of pilgrim accommodation, including gites, chambre d'hotes (like bed and breakfast) and a few hotels. In France, unlike Spain, it is usually preferable to reserve a place a day or two ahead, or you might miss out on a bed in the gites and have to pay more for a chambre d'hote.
    Margaret

4. wayfarer

wayfarer Well-Known Member Donating Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    SJPP-Santiago-Finistera-Muxia. April/May 2012
    Sarria-Santiago Sept. 2013
    SJPP - Almost Orrison April 2014
    Thanks for that info. That link is great. I am delighted to have found this forum, as I found it difficult to get good info on the route anywhere on the net. Keep up the great work

5. omar504

omar504 New Member

I used the Alison Raju Cicerone press book-it's compact and has all the info needed-although some is wrong or out of date. Its not as good as the French books mentioned but it is much lighter

6. jl

jl Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Frances('05, '07), Aragonese ('05), del Norte / Primitivo ('09), Via Tolosana (Toulouse '05), Via Podiensis (Le Puy '07), Via Lemovicensis (Troyes '09), VF(12), Winter Camino ('13/'14)
    As a non french speaker, I found the Cicerone guide useful for the added historical info and also for suggestiong the odd detour too. Janet