• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

My Camino pal asking for a Guide man! Mis compañeras de camino quieren un guía para el camino!

YMR20

Time of past OR future Camino
(2014)
I would like to ask you guys for some advise.. our journey will begin in the summer, from Leon, or from Astorga!
we book hotel a few days, the most difficult and long stage... but my traveling companions, suggest we hire a guide man!! :mad::mad::mad: I have read a lot about the Camino de Santiago! and I see that it is better to go alone, (but well they insist to come with me and my daughter) now they are asking me why don't we hire a Guide Man…. I can believe it!! I want you to help me, and explain to them why is so NO!! way!! them see how unnecessary it would go with a guide ... is that not the way!! If they want to book a tour! go with someone else, but I want to be polite, I can not imagine do the camino with someone telling me what I want to know by myself. find the way by my own. o find, feel and adventure .... porfa! help me to remove that idea in their mind, maybe they have not read, do not know what is the way.
But I want to get through to explain with words spoken by people who have already made the way ...
who better than you GUYS!!:p:p:p:p

I hope your URGENT help!

Quisiera que me orienten, nuestro camino la comenzaremos en verano, desde Leon,o desde Astorga!
pensamos reservar una que otra noche en hotel, algunos dias, los mas difíciles y largos.. pero mis compañeras de viaje me sugieren que contratemos un guía, yo tengo meses documentandome sobre el camino de santiago, y veo que es mejor ir solos, pero quisiera que me ayuden a hacerles ver lo innecesario que seria andar con un guía… es que ni me inmagino hacer el camino con alguien que me vaya diciendo lo que yo por mi cuenta quiero encontrar, sentir y aventurar…. porfa !! ayudame a quitarles esa idea de la mente… capaz que como no se han documentado bien, no han leído, no saben lo que es el camino, andan con esa idea.
Pero quiero llegarles a explicar con palabras dichas por personas que ya han realizado el camino…
quienes mejor para aconsejarnos?

espero tu ayuda URGENTE!!

Saludos.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
You do not need a guide.
The Way is clearly marked.
Thousands of pilgrims walk each year without guides.
Buen Camino!

The camino is........the camino, not a package tour. Most importantly: Every peregrino walks his/her very own way.
Be clear and strong about this; if your friends cannot accept, leave them to do what they believe is right, but don't let them deter your camino or otherwise it will end up as a disaster.
If you know how to lace your shoes in the morning, you OF COURSE DO NOT NEED A GUIDE!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thanks, Pano!! and Anniesantiago!! I know I will be strong!! thanks, ! i will no change my plans, by the way, I have planing for about 1 year!!

photo.php
The only thing a guide is going to do is tell you to follow the yellow arrows. Which when I think about it, would be the world's easiest guide job. In fact, I would like to take this moment to announce Robert's Camino Guide Service. For a reasonable fee I will walk the Camino with you pointing out yellow arrows.

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I would like to ask you guys for some advise.. our journey will begin in the summer, from Leon, or from Astorga!
we book hotel a few days, the most difficult and long stage... but my traveling companions, suggest we hire a guide man!! :mad::mad::mad: I have read a lot about the Camino de Santiago! and I see that it is better to go alone, (but well they insist to come with me and my daughter) now they are asking me why don't we hire a Guide Man…. I can believe it!! I want you to help me, and explain to them why is so NO!! way!! them see how unnecessary it would go with a guide ... is that not the way!! If they want to book a tour! go with someone else, but I want to be polite, I can not imagine do the camino with someone telling me what I want to know by myself. find the way by my own. o find, feel and adventure .... porfa! help me to remove that idea in their mind, maybe they have not read, do not know what is the way.
But I want to get through to explain with words spoken by people who have already made the way ...
who better than you GUYS!!:p:p:p:p

I hope your URGENT help!

Quisiera que me orienten, nuestro camino la comenzaremos en verano, desde Leon,o desde Astorga!
pensamos reservar una que otra noche en hotel, algunos dias, los mas difíciles y largos.. pero mis compañeras de viaje me sugieren que contratemos un guía, yo tengo meses documentandome sobre el camino de santiago, y veo que es mejor ir solos, pero quisiera que me ayuden a hacerles ver lo innecesario que seria andar con un guía… es que ni me inmagino hacer el camino con alguien que me vaya diciendo lo que yo por mi cuenta quiero encontrar, sentir y aventurar…. porfa !! ayudame a quitarles esa idea de la mente… capaz que como no se han documentado bien, no han leído, no saben lo que es el camino, andan con esa idea.
Pero quiero llegarles a explicar con palabras dichas por personas que ya han realizado el camino…
quienes mejor para aconsejarnos?

espero tu ayuda URGENTE!!

Saludos.

Your friends have different ideas of what they want for the Camino experience. I expect they decided they wanted to walk with you because of the same anxiety that now makes them want a guide -- they are afraid of the Camino unknowns. I think it is important for you to decide how you want to do your Camino and then do it for yourself, not for your friends. Maybe it would be for the best if they get a guide for themselves and you go your own way. It sounds like you need to have a talk with them about what you each want for yourselves from this experience. If your goals are incompatible, you need to go your own way, and you will be happier for it. If you give in on the guide issue, it will just be the first of many ways in which you will not be doing what you originally set out to do. Saying no to pushy people can be tough, but it's part of life.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
exactly .. tploomis!

that's why I decided to talk to them .. and in a very nice tone, i say.. I can't imagine doing my camino that way!. i want to do it as I plan only my daughter and me. I say that we my daughter and I want to spend some time alone with each other. enjoy this adventure, and to thank God for our lives.
i think they understood! and if no!! sorry for them!!

thank for your responds, you give me a push to tell them.

gracias, Medi walker… a la final hable con ellos, en un ton e agradable les dije que no me invaginaba hacer el camino de la manera que ellos quieren hacerlo, les explique que mi hija y yo queríamos hacer el camino para disfrutarnos uso dias las dos. agradecerle a Dios por nuestras vidas..
creo que entendieron, y si no… lo siento por ellos.

gracias, por sus respuestan me empujaron a tomar la decisión de hablar francamente con ellos.

YMR20: Remember: When you step into the new, new things happen. Most often, new things are good things. But if you need a sherpa (which you don't) please call me: I am ready, able and low-cost :D

My pack is a Da Kine guide pack, trimmed in yellow, which my son used as a ski guide in La Grave years ago. I'm for hire just walk behind me:p

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
... but my traveling companions, suggest we hire a guide man!! :mad::mad::mad: I have read a lot about the Camino de Santiago! and I see that it is better to go alone, (but well they insist to come with me and my daughter) now they are asking me why don't we hire a Guide Man….!

It is obvious that you and your companions have different ideas about the Camino. So, your first mistake is in thinking of them as traveling companions. They are not. It appears that for you the Camino is a much different trip than what it is for them. That is absolutely fine; everybody has the right to take in the Camino as they wish. However, what I don't really get is what is your need for them to accompany in your Camino when it is obvious you are in totally different places about this endeavor??? Help them to get a guide and then go do your own Camino...!

BTW, in regards to "hire a guide man"; not sure what would be wrong with a "guide woman" but I am pretty sure that train of thought became obsolete in the 20th Century.... now THAT is impolite ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
It is obvious that you and your companions have different ideas about the Camino. So, your first mistake is in thinking of them as traveling companions. They are not. It appears that for you the Camino is a much different trip than what it is for them.
True, true.Do not let others ruin what is meant to be a great experience for you and your daughter! You risk spoiling what was meant to be something special for you two! Meet new friends and walk in your own tempo.

Buen Camino!

People keep asking me - "Are you doing it alone ?" And I keep explaining to them that everyone does their Camino alone, even if they walk with others.
I also tell them that, although the people who first asked to come with me have now dropped out, I had made it very clear to them that during the day/s we would each walk at our own pace and only meet up in the evening.
But as a result of coming to this forum I've already 'met' people who are starting off on or near the same day as me.
(And, of course, I'll have Jamilla my camino donkey for company.)

Last edited by a moderator:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Interestingly enough I have a similar situation on my hands in June and July. I'm walking with 2 newbies who think I am going to be the guide; however, they have polar opposite physical abilities and expectations. I have already told them I am walking "my Camino" and they should be planning to walk "their Camino" and perhaps our paths will cross from time to time.

Biarritzdon-- I am starting on 29 June from Sahagun. Hope to see you out there!! Buen Camino!!

Biarritzdon-- I am starting on 29 June from Sahagun. Hope to see you out there!! Buen Camino!!
Olivares - I'll be approximately 3,5days behind you coming from Camino de Madrid. If your average is about 20km/day we might bump into each other until Ponferrada where I'll turn left to Camino de Invierno ;)

Ultreia!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Olivares, you must be clairvoyant. I am hoping to stay in Moratinos around the 28 June to finally met the legendary Rebekah Scott. The next day I indeed plan to walk through Sahagun and turn onto the Calzada Romana in Calazada del Coto to Calzadilla de los Hermanillos to stay at a great little private albergue/casa rurale I stayed in during 2012. I expect we will cross paths with each other and no doubt that includes bumping into the famous KinkyOne.

Olivares, you must be clairvoyant. I am hoping to stay in Moratinos around the 28 June to finally met the legendary Rebekah Scott. The next day I indeed plan to walk through Sahagun and turn onto the Calzada Romana in Calazada del Coto to Calzadilla de los Hermanillos to stay at a great little private albergue/casa rurale I stayed in during 2012. I expect we will cross paths with each other and no doubt that includes bumping into the famous KinkyOne.
Famous??? AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Hey Biarritzdon, KinkyOne- both your plans sound really fantastic. My plan on the 29 June is to walk from Sahagun to Reliegos, but you know how that goes ("Man plans and God laughs"). Biarritz-- Who knows you may even catch up with me as it seems you will be only hours behind. I plan to stay at Albergue La Parada in Reliegos, the next day I am shooting for Leon. I am certainly planning an average of 24-25 Kms as I have to catch a flight to Krakow to visit relatives mid to late-July. Truly would love to catch-up and exchange Camino stories. Buen Camino!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back