• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

My First Camino Meeting - How Surreal

Tumbleweed

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2013)
Hello my fellow pilgrims,

After seventeen months of planning and reading and asking questions, I set foot on my first Camino in September. I want to thank everyone who has posted to this forum where I have and will continue to gain much knowledge and insight on what lies ahead.

I have shared my excitement about my trip with many people and several say they want to walk, especially after seeing the movie, The Way. But there is one woman who has actually booked her flights and will be 10 days behind me. She says it was because of me she decided to go. What? Really? How extremely humbling, I am speechless.

Bev, who works at REI and helped me with my backpack selection, decided to go after I shared with her my story of how the Camino found me. She and another woman wanted to meet with me to ask questions and advice. I thought, who am I to give advice, I haven’t even walked yet.

Our meeting was magical, as I shared my excitement, joy and faith with them. They came at me with all kinds of questions, just like the ones I have asked from all of you. They listened intently to what I was saying then would quickly make note of something they found informative. It was like I was having an out of body experience, like I had walked before and knew the answers. It was a very surreal moment. What a thrill and a blessing.

Who have you inspired to walk, and who has actually taken up the staff after you? Please share your amazing story.

Buen Camino and may God’s Blessing be with you,
Angela

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Angela,
thanks for your beautiful words. I've seen your questions and posts over time and you seem like you're a very gentle soul. I'm not surprised you have inspired others to walk The Way.
I too have yet to walk the Camino and although I haven't inspired anyone to actually walk I've had amazing support, encouragement and interest in my plans for April/May 2014.
I look forward to hearing of other stories as well, they are always so uplifting.
Thanks Angela and may your journey be safe, fun and adventurous.
God Bless
Alex

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hi Angela,

How exciting! I was amazed that after my walk of the CF in 2012, two of my relatives decided to walk also. One, who is a 65 y/o man with polio and a replacement knee, walked in April - May of this year. The second is a 56 y/o woman who just came back last month, June. I also have 2 friends who have decided to walk when they retire in 2016. I guess I've been proselytizing with my enthusiasm! I myself hope to walk again this year. If not this year, definitely next year.

Buen Camino!

Hieu

Hi All,

Great stories, thanks for sharing. See, we all inspire one way or another and your Camino will spread and carry on through many generations to come.

Alex, you are so kind to say I must be a gentle soul. I’ve never been described as such before. Actually a friend recently told me I was charismatic, which seems to be a bit more accurate. I have a strong personality and when coupled with my passion and enthusiasm for something, I’m guessing it can be contagious. This is why every day I try to be the light, a positive light. However when crossed, I can be like a kitten on steroids. Have you ever seen a kitten on steroids? Thank your lucky stars if you haven’t had the pleasure. LOL :lol: LOL Good luck with your planning, I’m sure that time of year is a beautiful time to walk.

Steven, amazing how the Camino found you. In the sea off of Scotland. You must not have been ready at the time, or your kids weren’t. Precious that you were able to walk with them and then go back with your partner. God is good!

Hieu, how awesome to hear of the one’s you’ve inspired. How did the 65 year old fare with the conditions you described? Glad to hear you will be getting out there again. I know that once I start walking, I’m sure I won’t want to stop. Keep us posted, will you?

I’d like to add: The magic of the Camino has already found me.

I went to GOLITE today to purchase my clothing. Everything was on clearance; I got just what I was looking for, just what I needed. Of course I started talking to the store manager about my upcoming trip, we chatted for awhile. Then he handed me a phone number of a woman who is planning her Camino for September and is looking for someone to talk to, someone to exchange ideas, etc. I told him, “Sure I’ll give her a call.”

After a while and during a moment of “not planning”, I dialed her number but had to leave a message. About 20 minutes passed, my phone rang, and it was her. She said, hi Angela, it’s me Sharon, I was the other lady with Bev the night we met for a Camino discussion. We were amazed and laughed so hard. We had just met for the first time, 4 days ago. I guess she is now part of my Camino family, do you think I’ll run into her on the trail?

Please, keep the inspirational stories coming.
Buen Camino and God Bless,
Angela

Tumbleweed said:
Hi All,

After a while and during a moment of “not planning”, I dialed her number but had to leave a message. About 20 minutes passed, my phone rang, and it was her. She said, hi Angela, it’s me Sharon, I was the other lady with Bev the night we met for a Camino discussion. We were amazed and laughed so hard. We had just met for the first time, 4 days ago. I guess she is now part of my Camino family, do you think I’ll run into her on the trail?

This story made me smile and got me SO EXCITED for my own camino. How amazing!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Tumbleweed said:
Hi All,

Hieu, how awesome to hear of the one’s you’ve inspired. How did the 65 year old fare with the conditions you described? Glad to hear you will be getting out there again. I know that once I start walking, I’m sure I won’t want to stop. Keep us posted, will you?

Angela
Angela,

He did great. The problem that he encountered was not due to his polio or replacement knee. He had terrible blisters and took a couple of days off... He did walk most of the CF from St. Jean to Santiago! Quite amazing I must say.

Buen Camino!

Hieu

Luis lost a leg at age 18 in a car accident. In his mid-fifties he decided to walk the Camino, and trained in his Paris apartment building by walking up and down the stairs.

He walked from SJPdP to Finisterre on his Canadian crutches, and moved at a pace faster than mine. We met in Rabanal, repeatedly over the next weeks, and again in Santiago. He did carry only a day pack because a full pack was too hard to balance. Because of his need for the baggage service, he walked the published stages, some of which were too long for me, so I fell a day behind him after a while!

I have met many amazing pilgrims, but none has surpassed his achievement (in my mind).

This is great Angela.

I imagine how easy it will be for you to continue to extend the helping hand once you are on your journey. I'm sure you will be in plenty of situations where another will be "lost" and someone like you will come along. Sometimes it simply takes an orange, foot plaster, the time to listen, an open heart, shared meal/drink to provide the encouragement to take another step. There are times when we actually see the "success" of another, but many times we don't. We help one another no matter.

A great post as I'm enjoying all the stories here.

Buen Camino,
Simeon

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Yes ms tumbleweed
I thank you too for setting this rich vein of discussion going.
I have been preparing for two years, reading and accumulating all the trappings for the pilgrimage and now I'm ready to go. At present in mid France - swelteringly hot- I will drive before the end of the week through to southern Galicia by the weekend ( anyone need transport?) where I will do all I can to reduce the joker card which is my newly but doggedly swollen ankles.....
Having read your post about your olympian friend on crutches, I have given them a stern talking to. I will be on my way from SJdPP by August 21st.
Good luck with your travels and...

May the road rise to meet you,
May the wind be always at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face,
The rains fall soft upon your fields.
And until we meet again,
May God hold you in the palm of his hand.

Tim

How exciting Angela-- so happy for you! Looking forward to your thoughts as you embark on the actual experience. Remember the Camino is a metaphor of life and that there will be ups & downs, just remember each day is a blessing and a gift-- corny but so, soooo true. :D

All best wishes, Girl! Buen Camino!!!

Thanks everyone for your comments and stories.

serenalms" So glad to make you smile and to hear of your excitement. When are you planning to start your Camino?

Falcon269: I couldn't imagine the inner strength it took Luis to walk, extraordinary, amazing.

Tim: Thank you for the well wishes and I too hope the same for you. Your day is approaching quickly. A friend told me to "trust the arrows" :arrow: May God Bless your journey and Buen Camino.

Olivares: The encouragement is well taken. And yes, everyday is a blessing no matter where the road may lead.

And then there's Simeon: You know how much your words mean to me. Thank you for the confidence and faith that I should make a difference in someone's day. Hope all is well and may the Lord be with you.

You guys are all GREAT!! I sure could use a hug right now. :)

Angela

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Angela,

Buen Camino! I've really enjoyed your beautiful posts! I'm also walking the camino in September and hope that we will have the opportunity to walk together for a bit!

David

Great post, Angela. Unfortunately, I've already walked my first Camino so I can never have that experience again. But once you're a veteran, I think you'll see how much fun it is to watch and share a little in others' first Camino. I had lunch yesterday with three September pilgrims-to-be who drove 85 miles to have lunch with me, just to talk about the Camino, their hopes and fears, their preparation, etc. Honestly, I got a lot more from them than they got from me, it was just a wonderful opportunity to see the Camino fresh once again from the eyes of people who are still thousands of miles away and for whom the Camino is a total unknown. That's a part of what keeps me coming back, I'm sure.

Hi Angela,
I simply wanted to wish you a Buen Camino. It will be a magical experience. I walked The Way last September and it was an experience like no other. I made connections with people which will last a lifetime. We had a Pilgrim reunion in Ireland in June :D .

Wishing you all the Best!!
Rachelle from Canada

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Angela,Hi everybody!

Very nice posts, all of in the spirit of the Camino.
I am leaving for the first time from SJPP on August 14th and I must confess I feel like a virgin. The planning and the dream are about to be over and it is a bitter sweet feeling...
My life really changed on New Years Eve 2011 when my only desire for 2012 was: "to make everything different" and it has been like that since then.
Last Friday my son and I had tatoos together (my first time) to celebrate that we had finished Insanity, another challenge, another story. It was my first tatoo and very appropriate indeed: INGUZ a Viking rune which means "where there is a will, there is a way". Later I found that it also means the void, getting rid of everything old to start everything anew, not a coincidence!

Dear all the Camino has brought us together beyond time and space. Lots of love and Buen Camino!

Angela
Our story seems to be exactly the same ..I've been planing this trip for over 10 months and I'm starting my trip on the 25th of September through October I hope i will find some other doing this at the same time .. .. after watching the Movie The way .. it affected me sooooooooo much I have no word to describe .
I lost my brother for a sinus Operation .. 23 years ago .. He was 23 no long after my father passed away from the agony from losing his son .. and me I have been a housewife all this time even thou I worked with my husband in our business of shoe repair .. I have never been away on my own to do anything or be anywhere. I guess in a way I'm doing this for me and my Brother hopefully I will have the strength to finish it as I have planned for months now ..
I went to R.E.I. too and the sales person who helped me is going to look into it .. and maybe he joins me ..
wishing you and everyone well
Aida Sarkissian from Canada

Hello all. I love reading this site. My husband and I leave for Spain on September 12. I will admit I am getting a little scared. Scared that the 1st day will be too hard, and I will not be able to get over the mountains. Scared of failure. I would love some, honest, feedback/encouragement. Peggy

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
olearyml said:
Hello all. I love reading this site. My husband and I leave for Spain on September 12. I will admit I am getting a little scared. Scared that the 1st day will be too hard, and I will not be able to get over the mountains. Scared of failure. I would love some, honest, feedback/encouragement. Peggy

I leave October and I'm scared/nervous too, but I think most people are :) I just keep telling myself that it's MY camino, and if one day is too hard or I need to take a break/rest day, or can only walk half the way one day, that's okay. There is no such thing as doing it wrong.

At least I hope so!

Hello all,

If I may, I think it is such great advice to remember every day on the Camino is truly up to you. Of course there are physical and emotional pains, the arrogance of others (and ourselves), weather, closed/full refugios, an empty bottle of wine. :wink:

What I mean is, we really do walk for ourselves. A statement such as "It's your Camino." doesn't get any more true and simple as that. I think you'll find how much easier it is to make decisions on the Way based on your own spirit and physical well-being. Listen to the body, not the ego. (I've learned the hard way.)

For me, EVERYthing about the Camino is wonderful. EVERY day is a great day to walk. My worst days on the Camino are better than my best days at home. Sometimes this isn't realized until months later.

Last, you'll be surrounded by other beautiful spirits like Angela's who will experience your same ups and downs. It may be for a shared orange for a minute, a pour of wine in the evenings, several days walking together, or just knowing someone else is there for you if need be.

The Camino brings to us that from which we run. Although this might sound dire, it has brought such great blessings to my own life.

YOUR journey is not a competition, so as perfectly stated above, "There's no such thing as doing it wrong."

All your stories here have been quite inspiring. Even for those who have yet to walk, your sharing has added to my Camino experience. Thank you for that.

Keep a smile,
Simeon

It's been a pleasure to read the posts in this thread. Great words, great meaning, great intentions, all from great people.

Than you.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back