• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

New Camino documentary

CaminoJohn

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2006,2008,2011; VDLP, Sanabrias (2018)
I just found out that this movie is playing here in Albuquerque this Friday 3/14/14. Anyone heard of this? The director will be here. Apparently, she is from Portland, Oregon.
"Walking The Camino: Six Ways to Santiago"

Dir. Lydia B. Smith - 2014 - 84m - DIRECTOR IN PERSON OPENING NIGHT
"500 miles on foot. Bunk-beds. Blisters. Stunning landscapes. World-class snorers. Hot searing sun, freezing cold rain. Kindness from strangers. Debilitating injury. Unexpected romance. No toilet paper when you really need it. Profound grief and deep doubt. Hunger. Laughing with new friends. Total exhaustion. You are guaranteed to experience all of this when walking the ancient pilgrim path, the Camino de Santiago.
Across Spain, this sacred path stretches westward to the city of Santiago de Compostela where the bones of the apostle St. James are said to be buried. The Camino is world-renowned; UNESCO named it a World Heritage Site and the Council of Europe declared it the first European Cultural Itinerary. Millions of people from all over the world have traveled this trail for over 1,000 years – in 2010 alone, over 270,000 people attempted the arduous trek – each one a seeker of something.
In the Middle Ages, pilgrims sought forgiveness of their sins and admission to heaven. The Camino remains, for many, a quest of faith. Others begin with no spiritual impetus in mind, but nevertheless are drawn to examine their personal beliefs and life purpose. And others are in it simply for the intense physical challenge. Whatever their motivation, no one can predict just how their path will unfold, who they will meet, what personal demons or angels they will face, or what transformations they will undergo by the trail’s end.
Walking the Camino is an up-close look at one of humanity’s most time-honored traditions. By following pilgrims from all walks of life as they attempt to cross an entire country on foot with only a backpack, a pair of boots and an open mind, we witness the Camino’s magnetic and miraculous power to change lives. Driven by an inexplicable calling and a grand sense of adventure, each pilgrim throws themselves heart-and-soul into their physical trek to Santiago and, most importantly, their personal journey to themselves"

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Will do! Just found a post about it from last year...

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I saw the documentary in Scottsdale last weekend. It was far more realistic and beautiful than The Way. We stayed for the director's comments which proved very interesting. I highly recommend you see this documentary if you get the chance. The movie was filmed in April/May so the scenery is outstanding. Very enjoyable.

Saw the movie last year in Santiago when it was released as part of the European premiere.

Certainly better than the glossy Hollywood commercial version "The Way."

To learn more about the movie, Lydia and the crew and pilgrims that appear in the movie, please visit their site:

http://caminodocumentary.org/about.php

I just found out that this movie is playing here in Albuquerque this Friday 3/14/14. Anyone heard of this? The director will be here. Apparently, she is from Portland, Oregon.

"500 miles on foot. Bunk-beds. Blisters. Stunning landscapes. World-class snorers. Hot searing sun, freezing cold rain. Kindness from strangers. Debilitating injury. Unexpected romance. No toilet paper when you really need it. Profound grief and deep doubt. Hunger. Laughing with new friends. Total exhaustion. You are guaranteed to experience all of this when walking the ancient pilgrim path, the Camino de Santiago.
Across Spain, this sacred path stretches westward to the city of Santiago de Compostela where the bones of the apostle St. James are said to be buried. The Camino is world-renowned; UNESCO named it a World Heritage Site and the Council of Europe declared it the first European Cultural Itinerary. Millions of people from all over the world have traveled this trail for over 1,000 years – in 2010 alone, over 270,000 people attempted the arduous trek – each one a seeker of something.
In the Middle Ages, pilgrims sought forgiveness of their sins and admission to heaven. The Camino remains, for many, a quest of faith. Others begin with no spiritual impetus in mind, but nevertheless are drawn to examine their personal beliefs and life purpose. And others are in it simply for the intense physical challenge. Whatever their motivation, no one can predict just how their path will unfold, who they will meet, what personal demons or angels they will face, or what transformations they will undergo by the trail’s end.
Walking the Camino is an up-close look at one of humanity’s most time-honored traditions. By following pilgrims from all walks of life as they attempt to cross an entire country on foot with only a backpack, a pair of boots and an open mind, we witness the Camino’s magnetic and miraculous power to change lives. Driven by an inexplicable calling and a grand sense of adventure, each pilgrim throws themselves heart-and-soul into their physical trek to Santiago and, most importantly, their personal journey to themselves"
This documentary is the reason I am doing the Camino this June (2014). Lydia also spoke at the showing I saw in California. I was hooked...

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I've watched the trailers on the website until I can quote them. I've sent what money I can for the final editing and production, but still waiting. I know it is going to be awesome when they get it done. Unfortunately, have yet to have a screening where I can get to see it.

The documentary has been running this week, at my local art-house theatre just south of Seattle. I found it to be an honest portrayal of these peoples journeys. It was fun to see them progress and good to look
At their gear, lodging, food etc. I feel like I have a much better picture of what it will be like when I leave in June for my first camino. And wow, the vistas were incredible!

Leischen, Tacoma, Washington

This has been running all over the US for a few months. I saw it back in January/February in Portland and it was awesome!
I worked on some of the transcription for them when they were just getting started, several years ago.

I loved the movie, The Way, and this is a documentary, so there's not much comparison.
But as far as showing someone what the Camino is REALLY like, the documentary is definitely the one to see.
Lydia did a wonderful job!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Does anyone know if this will be available to buy on DVD?

Apparently film festival rules do not allow for dvd distribution. The producers quite rightly are entering as many festivals as they can and when this phase is done, I am expecting a DVD release. This documentary was a great inspiration for me and in my opinion conveys a much more realistic, and entertaining, portrayal of the Camino experience than "the Way". JMHO!

“Walking the Camino; Six Ways to Santiago” is a wonderful documentary produced and directed by Lydia B. Smith of Portland, OR. It has been in 13 film festivals and has won 7 of them and sells out every (100%) screening on opening night. I cannot recommend this documentary highly enough. It will make you cry, laugh; you will experience, right along with the real life pilgrims, their pain, cheer for them when they face their challenges and overcome them and when they reach their goal!..These are real life pilgrims..Lydia did not have a cast before going to Spain. She met them all along the way. Lydia herself is a pilgrim having walked in 2008. The amazing thing about this documentary is that Lydia had absolutely no financial backing for any part of making this film. She did it with private and grass roots donations. She is currently on a country wide tour in the Camino Coach. Go to www.caminodocumentary.org. The website is chock full of information and a trailer for the film. Also, you can see the trailer on YouTube. Just type in Camino Documentary in the search box. I’ve seen it several times and am looking foreword to it screening close enough to Portland again. It was held over at the Hollywood theater for 9 weeks and has enjoyed long runs in other cities. Oh, I hope you all can see it!

www.caminodocumentary.org
FB camino documentary

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
As a small supporter of this doco I have been trying to get the promoters to bring it down under. So far no luck. I saw 2 or 3 short promos (up to 5-6 mins) and it looks great. Don't be too hard on The Way - it was made for a totally different audience. However Martin Sheen (the father not the silly son) is a great fan of the Camino and has appeared at a couple of the screenings of Six Ways to Santiago and fully supports the doco concept.
So to all you prospective pilgrims if Six Ways comes to a town near you go and see it and take along members of your families so they will know what you are on about. Buen Camino ;)

Maybe Martin Sheen, as a supporter, could pull a few strings and get some distribution for this wonderful movie. Then we in the rest of the English speaking world might get the chance to see it.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Maybe Martin Sheen, as a supporter, could pull a few strings and get some distribution for this wonderful movie. Then we in the rest of the English speaking world might get the chance to see it.
Great suggestion. OK Martin when you see this please support our plees!! (Alternatively - anyone on Martin's facebook page have posting rights??)

I agree with Saint Mike II - The Way is a completely different type of production, and will always be my first glimpse into the Camino. I would like to see the documentary, but only after I have been on my own Camino trek.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thoughts...I have resisted watching any of the films/documentaries not wanting to 'spoil' the beauty of what will unfold when I when walk this May, just wondered what others think...?

A friend of mine in Seattle just emailed me that she had just seen it and she said it was about 4 million times better than The Way in terms of giving a real idea about what the camino is all about. Let us know what you think if you see it. Here in the middle of midwestern nowhere, I doubt I'll have a chance to see it anytime soon.

I too live in "Midwestern nowhere" put the website for the documentary shows it in Boulder at CU, and in Denver. Both are fairly close to my home on the edge of western Nebraska so I might see it before I leave in April. Check the documentary website.

As one of the Coordinators for the Tucson Chapter of APOC, my team and I worked with Lydia to bring the documentary to Tucson. Last Friday (March 7th) it premiered here! Lydia is a wonderful person, she and her associate worked to promote APOC and our local chapter. We assisted with sales and the Q&A, quite an experience for all of us.
The documentary was fabulous, very REAL. I understand the DVD should be ready for distribution at the end of the year.
2014-03-07 16.12.15.jpg

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I have been following her on FB for the past few years & am going to the film tonight--very excited to see the finished product. So my suggestion would be to go if you possibly can do so.

It will be in Denver and Boulder the weekend of March 28th. Unfortunately, I will be out of town and will miss it. Hopefully the DVD release will not be delayed too long.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I was so disappointed. It played near me but with absolutely no publicity--not a word about it till afterwards, so I missed it.

Hola - below is the link to their Facebook page. It contains the most recent list of towns and screening dates. Buen Camino
https://www.facebook.com/TheCaminoDocumentary

OK. Whilst the link gives coming dates in only list event up to the end of March. So you will have to wait for the April/May dates. For those of you not on Facebook there is a website:
TheCaminoDocumentary.org
Cheers

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I saw this a couple of months ago. I guess I'm a minority. In my view, the movie was not bad, but not great either. I was "OK" with The Way as it was a Hollywood movie. However, as a documentary, I expected this film to be more "real." However, many of the main "characters" seemed to be a little "over the top" and did not resemble the pilgrims that I had met on the CF. Only the two older men seemed the most "real" to me (resembling pilgrims that I could have met). I do understand that the "mundane" would not make for a "good" movie. Maybe my sample of pilgrims was not a good representation of those who walk. Having said that, I'd still recommend the documentary to one and all. I enjoyed "living" the CF again in watching the film. Characters and storylines aside, the sceneries are very much real. Would I see it again? Definitely. I can never have enough of the camino. Buen camino. -Hieu

The movie had a sold out showing. Lydia was great. Movie really captured some of essence of the camino. Loved seeing the hospitalera at Granon... Don't know her name, but the tall exuberant Spanish woman. Met a woman who wants to start a chapter of APOC here..Lydia told of plans in the spring/summer east coast tour...she will be at APOC meeting in Kansas city. .
Below are pics..

Attachments

• 1394859202240.jpg
    1394859202240.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 28
  • 1394859217980.jpg
    1394859217980.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I too live in "Midwestern nowhere" put the website for the documentary shows it in Boulder at CU, and in Denver. Both are fairly close to my home on the edge of western Nebraska so I might see it before I leave in April. Check the documentary website.

I just saw that the film will be showing at the American Pilgrims annual meeting, which is outside St. Louis this year. Dates and info on their website.

I've never been to an APOC meeting and was hoping to get to this one. And of course, wouldn't you know it, though it's only several hours from my house, I am unable to make it because of a big family gathering. I just can't win, it seems. I'll have to wait for the DVD. But anyone else near St. Louis, this is your chance!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
For those living in or nearby Victoria BC on Vancouver Island:

The University of Victoria theatre has booked the documentary "Walking the Camino - Six Ways to Santiago" for four days - May 21-24

Wayne Emde who appears in the film, will come to Victoria to introduce the film and do a Q & A after.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
It is opening on April 4th at the Tivoli theater in Kansas City with a special event on March 30th. Lydia is just a month into her nation wide road tour and she and her team are working constantly contacting independent theaters for screenings all over the country. There are a lot of volunteers in many cities helping to get the film promoted. Lydia is an amazing person and has devoted the last five years of her life to this film.

A friend of mine in Seattle just emailed me that she had just seen it and she said it was about 4 million times better than The Way in terms of giving a real idea about what the camino is all about. Let us know what you think if you see it. Here in the middle of midwestern nowhere, I doubt I'll have a chance to see it anytime soon.
I'm in Seattle too, and am really REALLY hoping I'll be able to catch it this weekend!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Does anyone know if it is coming to Canada ?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hahahaha, thanks. May 2nd I'll be on a plane to Madrid . . . Guess where I'm going from there . . .

Updated information about the Victoria showing of Walking the Camino: Six Ways to Santiago.

It will open up May 21 for a limited engagement of 4 days only at:

Cinecenta
Student Union Building
University of Victoria
Victoria BC Canada

So if you live in or nearby Victoria or Vancouver BC, I would suggest this might be the best opportunity to see this movie

Wayne and Jack will there for May 21 and 22 nights.

Last edited:
I went caught the documentary in the SIFF theater on Queen Anne a few weeks ago - and I enjoyed it. I can't say that it really "wowed" me, but it did give some good information, and it was pleasent to watch. Quite honestly though, I've seen just as good homemade "documentaries" on Youtube. With our not going til 2017, I'm still gobbling everything I can up! :D

If you look closely at my hat in my profile pic you might notice it's sports CaminoDoc Six Ways logo :) . I have contributed to the fund raiser a few times so was kindly sent a hat and a couple patches . In the beginning Lydia offered up a copy of the film in DVD to a specific level of contribution however she ran into a conundrun and had to pull that part of the offering off the shelf . If she hadn't it could have been a game changer ,She ( and her fellow Way'est) have poured blood sweat and tears along with momunetal uncertainties getting this far in the production.

I live in Arkansas so I won't be holding my breath for a showing before Sept 26th of this year when we head out .. I had a link sent to me of the extended trailer but that computer conked and I lost it . All frets aside... I haven't heard bad word about the Documentary and look forward to one day being able to view it

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
For those pilgrims in BC Canada:

More information on the film Walking The Camino - if you plan to attend, please note the film will shown at 7:00 pm and 9:00 pm each evening from May 21 through to May 24.

Looks like a good film on the Camino. I will definitely have to check it out, even if I see it on DVD.

Interesting how film and media spread the existence of the Camino to so many out there. I did not even know the Camino existed (despite being a lifelong Catholic) until about two years ago when I saw an episode of "Travel with Rick Steves" on the local PBS station and it was an episode about Pamplona and the Camino. After seeing that program I knew I had to do the Camino. I can't explain it. Doing it became part of me. Part of my spirit. The research on it began and I did it last summer and now want to do it again.

This is a fantastic documentary. I've seen it twice, and both times I've cried during the extended opening scene where one of the pilgrims arrives at the Cathedral in Santiago.

For those local to the Tacoma/Seattle area, it is currently in an extended run at the Grand Theater in Tacoma.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I loved this !! I drove down to Bellingham from Vancouver, BC to watch it one afternoon. There weren't too many in the theatre. I cried so many times, I wanted to be there again so badly. I hope the other viewers didn't mind me frequently pointing at the screen and exclaiming "oh, I stayed there, I stayed there!!!!" I highly recommend it.

Not sure how many of you are on the email list for Six Ways - but I received an email last month advising that DVDs were now available. However the prices were considerably higher than I had expected - ranging from around $250 US up to $1000 US - depending upon where you were showing the DVD and if it was open to the public and if admission fees were being charged. If anyone is interested I will post a link. Cheers;)

Not sure how many of you are on the email list for Six Ways - but I received an email last month advising that DVDs were now available. However the prices were considerably higher than I had expected - ranging from around $250 US up to $1000 US - depending upon where you were showing the DVD and if it was open to the public and if admission fees were being charged. If anyone is interested I will post a link. Cheers;)

Thanks for posting this, Mike!

These prices are licensing screening fees through our partner organization named TUGG that enables anyonet organize a community screening of a film; in order to show the documentary in public, whether in a theater or in a community center type setting, one much purchase a license.

The documentary is going to be released on November 11 on DVD, and currently you can pre-order it for a discounted price through our website:

1. Go to caminodocumentary.org
2. Click on the "Pre-Order The DVD" Button
3. Pre-Order your copy! They're $19.95 right now with the special pre-order discount.

Your card won't be charged until November 11, so if you do pre-order, it won't show up on your account until then.

Let me know if you have questions!

Cheers and ¡buen camino!

Maggie

Maggie Cech
Director of Outreach
Walking the Camino: Six Ways to Santiago
http://caminodocumentary.org/blog/?p=1499

Thanks for posting this, Mike!
The documentary is going to be released on November 11 on DVD, and currently you can pre-order it for a discounted price through our website:
1. Go to caminodocumentary.org

Your card won't be charged until November 11, so if you do pre-order, it won't show up on your account until then.

Let me know if you have questions!
Maggie
Director of Outreach
Hi Maggie - since this post I have had private emails detailing the "real" public prices - however (as far as I know) you and your distribution organisation are still not able to provide PAL/International versions of the doco - only NTSC. From personal experience even Blu-Ray versions in NTSC format will not play here in Oz. So we will just have to wait until you can solve this issue. Hope the screenings in the US are still attracting the crowds. Cheers. SM

Hi Maggie - since this post I have had private emails detailing the "real" public prices - however (as far as I know) you and your distribution organisation are still not able to provide PAL/International versions of the doco - only NTSC. From personal experience even Blu-Ray versions in NTSC format will not play here in Oz. So we will just have to wait until you can solve this issue. Hope the screenings in the US are still attracting the crowds. Cheers. SM

Hi Mike,

Indeed, the DVD & Blu-Ray that will be released on November 11 is only in All-region NTSC.

There's hope though!

We're really really close to signing with an international distributor, which means that they will start to look into different deals to make the DVD and Blu-Ray accessible to different countries. We don't have a lot of details right now about what exactly this means, but just know that we're headed a step in the right direction to get the doc to Oz, however that may happen! :)

I hope that helps! Please feel free to send an email any time with questions to caminodoc@gmail.com ... thanks so much for your support and patience!

Cheers!
Maggie

Hi Dan! I just wanted to let you know that we are getting closer and closer to bringing the documentary to Australia, currently talking with the distributor who distributed The Way in Australia! So exciting! The very best way to stay up to date with where the film will be screening is by signing up for our email updates list on our website caminodocumentary.org ... Just wanted to let you know! :)

buen camino,
Maggie

I went caught the documentary in the SIFF theater on Queen Anne a few weeks ago - and I enjoyed it. I can't say that it really "wowed" me, but it did give some good information, and it was pleasent to watch. Quite honestly though, I've seen just as good homemade "documentaries" on Youtube. With our not going til 2017, I'm still gobbling everything I can up! :D
Hi Sammmie! So glad you enjoyed the documentary in Seattle! We're really excited that it's going to be coming back to Seattle for a one-night only screening event on November 11! See the flyer for details! If you are planning on coming, we encourage you to purchase your tickets in advance as the film is likely to sell out since it's only playing one night...! We hope to see you there (I'll be present!)! :)

buen camino,
Maggie

Outreach Director

Attachments

• Seattle Flyer Final.jpg
    Seattle Flyer Final.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
This documentary is the reason I am doing the Camino this June (2014). Lydia also spoke at the showing I saw in California. I was hooked...
Hi Alyssa! Where did you see the film in California? We're going to be in Los Angeles 10/31-11/6, so starting next Friday... if you're there, we'd love to see you there!

buen camino!
Maggie

Outreach Director
Walking the Camino: Six Ways to SantiagoLA_Flyer copy.jpg

€60,-
This is a fantastic documentary. I've seen it twice, and both times I've cried during the extended opening scene where one of the pilgrims arrives at the Cathedral in Santiago.

For those local to the Tacoma/Seattle area, it is currently in an extended run at the Grand Theater in Tacoma.

Hi Thomryng! I cried the first time that I saw the film and just about every other time I see it, even though I've seen it at least a dozen times now! It takes me right back to my Camino.

The film will be playing one screening only on November 11 at 7:00pm at the SIFF Cinema Uptown again as a celebration of the theatrical success that was due in large part to Seattle's successful run in February/March. It's also serving as a DVD release celebration, at which the DVDs will be available at a special price! Woohoo!

We hope to see you there!! :)

buen camino,
Maggie

Outreach Director
"Walking the Camino: Six Ways to Santiago"Seattle Flyer Final.jpg

Does anyone know if this will be available to buy on DVD?
Hi Stephen!

The documentary will be released really soon! On November 11, to be exact.

It's available for pre-order right now for $5.00 off what it will be once it's released on the 11th if you go to caminodocumentary.org and click on the "pre-order DVD" button.

On Friday, we're also unveiling a new website on which you will be able to pre-order the online version to download it on your computer.

I hope this answers your question if it hadn't previously been answered.

buen camino!
Maggie

Outreach Director
"Walking the Camino: Six Ways to Santiago"

Hi Alyssa! Where did you see the film in California? We're going to be in Los Angeles 10/31-11/6, so starting next Friday... if you're there, we'd love to see you there!

buen camino!
Maggie

Outreach Director
Walking the Camino: Six Ways to SantiagoView attachment 14497
Thanks Maggie! I saw "Walking" at the Rafael in January. Annie O'Neill and I are in touch on Facebook and I'm trying to get down to LA from SF on next weekend for her book launch and to see the documentary again! We'll see what happens...

P.S. You can actually read about how the film brought the Camino into my life by clicking my "signature", "SometimesSheTravels" below.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
. . .On Friday, we're also unveiling a new website on which you will be able to pre-order the online version to download it on your computer.

I hope this answers your question if it hadn't previously been answered.

buen camino!
Maggie

Outreach Director
"Walking the Camino: Six Ways to Santiago"

I guess I should have procrastinated a little. I just today ordered two DVDs and would have much rather had it on my computer which does not have a DVD/CD drive.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I feel lucky in that the DVD release party is going to be held in two weeks in Portland, just a quick drive across the river for me. I look forward to getting a copy, gathering friends and letting the film explain what I've had a hard time conveying for the last two years.

Love the trailer. I look forward when we can buy it in the UK without paying large postage charges.

We look forward to that day, too! In the meantime, if you'd like to be able to view it without the huge charges, we have video on demand options through our website, both options for streaming or download:
bit.ly/BuyCaminoDoc

So glad you loved the trailer! Hopefully this will serve as an interim to the DVD in Europe :) buen camino!

Maggie

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I feel lucky in that the DVD release party is going to be held in two weeks in Portland, just a quick drive across the river for me. I look forward to getting a copy, gathering friends and letting the film explain what I've had a hard time conveying for the last two years.

David we are excited to see you at the DVD release party!! Hopefully it will be a wonderful evening to come together and celebrate all those who have contributed to the film in one way or another, including all the wonderful pilgrims past, present and future who spread it around!

See you there! Buen camino!
Maggie

David we are excited to see you at the DVD release party!! Hopefully it will be a wonderful evening to come together and celebrate all those who have contributed to the film in one way or another, including all the wonderful pilgrims past, present and future who spread it around!

See you there! Buen camino!
Maggie
Looking forward to meeting you in a couple of hours!

I just happened to see this today.
Documentaries are "strange" things. I've seen "The Way" and I've seen "Walking the Camino". I too was excited about watching them again after I had walked it. While "Walking" did a somewhat better job they were both someone's vision of what it was like and in many ways they didn't even come close to mine. In the past year I have come to the conclusions that while it's possible to show a detailed itinerary, it's possible to capture a person's experience, that the only way to capture the "spirit" of the Camino is to walk it. It's that elusive and perhaps for a good reason; that only by being there can the Camino give you it's message.

Last edited:
Just saw it at the Palm (SLO) yesterday. The trailer gives a very accurate idea of what to expect (about the film itself, I mean), unlike trailers for most other films. Liked it very much, although the house showing seemed pale and washed out. Wonder if this is the way the DVD will look, or just an exhibitor problem?

We look forward to that day, too! In the meantime, if you'd like to be able to view it without the huge charges, we have video on demand options through our website, both options for streaming or download:
bit.ly/BuyCaminoDoc

So glad you loved the trailer! Hopefully this will serve as an interim to the DVD in Europe :) buen camino!

Maggie
Thanks for the information. I have just ordered the download and am really looking forward to seeing it. Maybe it will help explain things to my friends.

Ordered mine this past weekend and it shipped today (even though it said it wouldn't ship until the 11th).

Excited to see it. My biggest concern is the toddler.....looks (from the previews) that the mother is forcing him along against his demeanor because she wants to do it. The precise thing that gives people that camino with small children a bad name. Hopefully the preview is misleading.

Someone mentioned the documentary will have a bias. Yes. All films have a bias. All. It isn't going to be your experience, it never could be. And if it was, then that would be a bias too.

FWIW I thought some of the cinematography in The Way beautiful, and a few isolated moments amazingly subtle. But overall I thought it was a fairly poor film. I quite liked Saint Jacques Le Mecque (sp?) though

€46,-
That young mother is a bit misguided in her fervor, but the child just seemed a regular type, didn't look like there was any trauma.

Bias? -pfft.

A friend of mine in Seattle just emailed me that she had just seen it and she said it was about 4 million times better than The Way in terms of giving a real idea about what the camino is all about. .
I've been (and continue to be) about as harsh about The Way as anyone around, but to be fair in this specific point. It wasn't The Way's job/aim/intent to give a "real idea about what the camino is all about" and that is probably an unfair lithmus test against which to judge it.

€149,-
I just want to give a public "thank you" to Lydia and her team for yesterday's release party of the "Six Ways to Santiago" DVD. It was fun meeting everyone involved with the film as well as other pilgrims. (Nothing takes me back quicker than sharing stories and finding similar experiences.) For those who haven't seen the movie yet, don't be surprised when you see yourself, to varying degrees, in the pilgrims featured in it.

Arrived in the mail yesterday. Probably won't watch it for a month or so (until the semester ends and things let up a bit)

Received mine earlier this week ,,, watched it twice. Going to watch it a third time this weekend. No I don't have OCD .. its just that I love this Documentary . ^5!! to Lydia , the folks that she filmed and her Crew

Last edited:

€149,-
Our son has ordered it for us as a Christmas present. Mind you I did send him a link to it and said that it would make a great Christmas present for us. I hope it arrives before Christmas as it takes a while for postage to get to this side of the world and we are spending Xmas day with one of our Camino Amigos.

Got my download today, could someone tell me are there subtitles available with it, I can't find any on windows media player.
Couldn't answer that question wayfarer sorry But I have just received an email saying my DVD is in the post ( all regions DVD) so hopefully I will get it before Christmas!

Just saw it at the Palm (SLO) yesterday. The trailer gives a very accurate idea of what to expect (about the film itself, I mean), unlike trailers for most other films. Liked it very much, although the house showing seemed pale and washed out. Wonder if this is the way the DVD will look, or just an exhibitor problem?

That viewing was likely an exhibitor problem. The DVD itself is vibrant, colorful, and beautiful, and I'm sorry to hear that there was an issue that when you watched it it was washed out. Thank you for the feedback and we will follow up with this.

Cheers!
Maggie

I couldn't either Pat.

Hi Al, Pat, and all others who have downloaded/will downolad "Walking the Camino" from our website,

First of all, thank you so much for your support! We are so grateful that you have purchased the doc and continue to spread the word about it and keep the dialogue going!

Here are the instructions for how to enable the subtitles:

When you download the film you have to also download the .SRT file for whichever language desired. The simplest way to describe it would be: download twice (1st the movie then the language). After that it's up to the user to choose the software with which they plan to watch the download (media player, itunes, etc) They will have to import the mp4 (movie file) and the SRT file (subtitle file) into the desired media player (directions will be specific to chosen software).

This is a wee bit complicated, but VHX, the company the film is streaming and downloaded from on our website, is a wonderful group and extremely helpful. If you have any issues with the subtitles, I would recommend going straight to them to troubleshoot; their customer service team is excellent and they have a very quick turnaround time with questions: https://www.vhx.tv/contact

Thank you so much! Please feel free to send me a message or email if you have other questions that I don't answer on here for awhile!

Cheers,
Maggie

Outreach & Marketing Director
maggie@caminodocumentary.org

Our son has ordered it for us as a Christmas present. Mind you I did send him a link to it and said that it would make a great Christmas present for us. I hope it arrives before Christmas as it takes a while for postage to get to this side of the world and we are spending Xmas day with one of our Camino Amigos.

Hi Marbuck!

What a wonderful Christmas present! We hope the documentary gets to you before then as well - hopefully it will as Christmas is still over a month away. If you have questions about your order or the progress of it, please email our fulfillment house, Beyond Words Publishing, at info@beyondword.com and they will be able to help give you information about the status of your order.

Buen Camino!

Maggie

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I just want to give a public "thank you" to Lydia and her team for yesterday's release party of the "Six Ways to Santiago" DVD. It was fun meeting everyone involved with the film as well as other pilgrims. (Nothing takes me back quicker than sharing stories and finding similar experiences.) For those who haven't seen the movie yet, don't be surprised when you see yourself, to varying degrees, in the pilgrims featured in it.

Hi David!

Thank you so much for coming to the DVD release party! It was such a joy to be able to celebrate the journey the documentary has been on with all of the pilgrims who came - thank you for being a part of it!

Buen Camino,

Maggie

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

usually keen on avoiding all things amazonian... but not today: saw it via amazon stream:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00OZ8981A/?tag=casaivar02-20
Bravo - well done indeed.
(just got back from a euro trip and still a bit in jet-lag shambles, i thought it might be a brilliant use of my time to finally watch it. Good choice!!)
even though this docu shares stories from the CF, and I walked the portuguese caminho, there were still many connecting factors that i truly enjoyed. The portuguese (starting in lisboa) is most definitely less traveled. At one point, i walked 10 days without meeting another pilgrim on the road. The CF looks rather busy indeed.
Still, the docu is well done, scenery gorgeous - naturally - and has a good balance overall. (i did notice though that aside from the mention of snorers, there was little mention of the other truly ghastly encounters one can have...the stinkers, slobs, boozers, etc) -- Luckily, they are in the minority, at least in my experience - but their presence /behaviour can truly foul a moment - or two.
I liked that the pacing wasn't too hurried, and the camera/editing still calm enough and that during several scenes, no soundtrack other than natural sounds.
Important too (for me) was that locals (priests, etc) were part of the people interviewed and shared their view as well.
Our stories are all woven together like this, ... and the film shone brighter because it included that part too.
And i liked too that much of the 'magic' was off-screen. For e.g. when the american woman shared her tale of sleeping in close quarters, inwardly objected ... and then a person she had strong reservations about, became an 'angel' for her the very next day ... and she realized that she had never been that kind to anyone. Whoa....!

The dilemma though is ... the camino is such an inner experience to me, and pictures are outward, perceived through outer senses. we often try to bring these world together, and fall short more often than not.
here is something that might allude to it - via: Wordsworth describes this perhaps in Tintern Abbey :
"... And I have felt
A presence that disturbs me with the joy
Of elevated thoughts; a sense sublime
Of something far more deeply interfused, Whose dwelling is the light of setting suns, And the round ocean and the living air,
And the blue sky, and in the mind of man: A motion and a spirit, that impels
All thinking things, all objects of all thought, And rolls through all things."

At any rate -- enjoyed the docu. have shared it with many friends around the world (info, links, etc) - and i can only pray that the effect will be uplifting for everyone who watches it...

Got mine on Friday, and my wife and I watched it Friday night (even the bonus DVD!) Great perspectives from different people around the world! Liked the hospilatero section on the bonus DVD. They even had an interview with Tomas from Manjarin on that part. Excellent video to give people a better idea of how the Camino really is (although I still love the movie "The Way", without it I might still not have heard of the Camino). We did notice, however, that there was no real footage of some of the "harder" paths on the Camino. We figured it was to hard for the cameramen and crew to carry all their equipment there, LOL :)

€46,-
Just as a note if you are an Amazon customer, you can rent or buy the movie from them now. We have Amazon Prime access on our Smart TV and we were able to purchase the new documentary and add to our watchlist. You can also rent it if you think you would only watch it once. We did really enjoy the documentary. Beautiful camera work and good individual stories.

When you download the film you have to also download the .SRT file for whichever language desired. The simplest way to describe it would be: download twice (1st the movie then the language).

There is no way I can download the subtitles files.

Got an email from them the other day with a link to download the movie with English subtitles. Thanks for that.

They haven't sent this to .

Have heard about the movie, but only just picked up on the fact it is now available. As I'm one of life's great technophobes, does anyone know where this can be purchased in the UK (in English language) - preferably as a DVD, but I'd settle for a download if not!

Many thanks in advance!

Julio :)

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back