• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

New sign?

Tulle

Time of past OR future Camino
1999 Burgos-SDC, 2003 Leon-SDC, 2007-2012 Le Puy-SDC, 2014 Burgos-Covarrubias, Camino Ingles 3 times
image.jpg Near Neda we saw this milestone with this blue sign. What is it?

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
It looks like a new icon for walking the Camino from Santiago to St. Jean--the return route. The signs I had seen were a painted blue spiral on the left, ending with an arrow pointing to the right.
RETURN ARROW.jpg

On the Inglés, as elsewhere in Galicia, the rays of the shell show the Way, so this isn't a return sign as it points the same way as the rays. Does Johnnie Walker or Ivar know please?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
So nobody knows this? Between Ferrol and Neda we also saw some new milestones with a fish on and a distance of some
thirty km. A new camino?

There is a board just after Os Carras showing the route of the Camino Real but I am not sure where it starts from!

I took a photo if the board, but it didn't turn out so well. Maybe you can zoom in?ImageUploadedByTapatalk1402696470.341373.jpg

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I think that the Lugo Amigos have used the fish as the sign for the Camino del Mar which runs from Ribadeo, along the coast, to San Andrés de Teixido and then turns south to join the Inglés at Xubia (on the outskirts of Ferrol) and on to Santiago. The fish may also be pointing to San Andrés from Ferrol if they were seen in Ferrol itself. Slightly confusing maybe.

On the Inglés, as elsewhere in Galicia, the rays of the shell show the Way, so this isn't a return sign as it points the same way as the rays. Does Johnnie Walker or Ivar know please?
ImageUploadedByCamino de Santiago Forum1402764536.951035.jpgImageUploadedByCamino de Santiago Forum1402764565.106322.jpgboth pictures taken at the camino Real at Prado Caravia. We stayed at the camping Arenal de Moris where the camino paases by.
The shells were pointing the other way compared to them on the camino Ingles or caminho Portuges.

On the Inglés, as elsewhere in Galicia, the rays of the shell show the Way, so this isn't a return sign as it points the same way as the rays.
The operative word is "Galicia." The shells have been standardized on all five routes to Santiago, and the rays point the correct direction. Elsewhere in Spain, including the Camino Real, the marks are not standardized, and rarely have meaning.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
In Asturias the hinge points the direction. This is really confusing until you get used to it when on the Primitivo between Grandas de Salime and a Fonsagrada. :)
Many of the new metal signs on poles are different again. A blue background, a pilgrim walking etc and it is the arrow which has to be noted, and all of this is in white.

We have a shell tile on our house. After much debate we put it up with the rays pointing to Santiago and the hinge pointing to the house door. (The small cowbell is genuine, not a tourist one)

Attachments

• cow bell and shell.jpg
    cow bell and shell.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 9

Most read last week in this forum

So, I managed to lose my lovely Tilley hat. Left behind I think, in a shop in Cambre. Going back for it not an option as the place is closed today, Sunday. Am I destined to arrive in Santiago...
Beautiful walking weather on the Camino Ingles today
On one of the FB forums, someone asked about detouring to Fragas do Eume, just outside of Pontedeume, and it looks amazing. Since I'm splitting up Ferrol - Pontedeume into two days (taking the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back