• We are struggeling with some issues with images and attachments not loading on the forum. This is some left-over problems from the other day. We have back-ups of everything, so nothing is lost, we just need to link things up again so that it works. In short, we are working on it. Sorry! Ivar
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

New Zealand Friends of the Camino

OliveGeorge

Time of past OR future Camino
September (2013)
Hola all,

Plans are afoot to set up a New Zealand Friend's of the Camino, with a meeting to be held in Wellington in April.

If you are interested in being involved, please contact me.

Muchos gracias.

L

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
When it is set up, please let me know so that I can add the contact details to my printed resources.

Hola and Kia ora Olive,
I live in Auckland, though have been fortunate enough to be in France, am here for a week or so, and see and meet some of the Randonneurs in Navarrenx and Eauze. I also thought to see what the interest of this was in NZ. So though not in Wellington I am interested if you would keep me posted.
Sara

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Kia ora my partner and I are holding an el camino info afternoon, this 28th July at Selwyn Library, Parnell, Auckland, 2-5pm. Those interested, have been, want to go, please let me know and welcome. Bring a plate of afternoon tea to share. Sara

Hi Olive

I would like to be involved in New Zealand Friends of the Camino, I live in Auckland.Please could you keep me posted with any news.

Grazia

Hi Sara,

I'm in Auckland and may be able to make it to Parnell Sunday 28th - Leave NZ early September to commence the camino. Very excited!
Vicki

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi!

My friend and I left for Spain on this same day, 28 July.

On day one out of SJdPP met two other kiwis and would often hear about so and so who was xx days in front or behind us. It was always great to hear of fellow compatriots on the trail.

Would love to be a part of any future meetings.

Jen

Ps. We had a fantastic time and highly recommend to all. We were fortunate enough to have had not one day of rain.

But you don't have to go to the Camino to meet New Zealanders! You have plenty of them at home.:)

By population there were more New Zealand pilgrims in 2012 than any English speaking country except Ireland, so you are well represented.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
But you don't have to go to the Camino to meet New Zealanders! You have plenty of them at home.:)

By population there were more New Zealand pilgrims in 2012 than any English speaking country except Ireland, so you are well represented.

We did our bit to boost the figures by dragging eight kids along;-)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
...He then started snapping away on his camera taking pictures of me. It seems he was collecting images of the united nations of the Camino....and I was a rear find. Gosh it made me laugh...he was so sweet. :D

Ooops! You might want to edit this! Or not.....as the case may be!!!

Hi just finished my camino from St Jean to Fisterra - wonderful experience! Would love to help any way I can with NZ friends of the camino (I live in Wellington).

Thanks. victoria.scobie@ hotmail.co.uk

This Kiwi rolled into Roncesvalles and booked for dinner after Mass one night.
5 Kiwis at one table.
Two nuns, one from Waikanae the other from Auckland.
A young lass from Otago spending a year studying in England.
A middle-aged guy from Wellington straight from shifting his son to Perth.
And me.
I think we currently hold the record for coincidence companions.

The next day I met a priest from Rangiora. He called me a Jaffa!
He was lucky he was bigger and stronger and younger and could walk faster than me.

I'll be doing the Camino Frances from SJPDP again from Sep 1st 2014 with my 50 year old niece and her son.
Any nervous nellies are welcome to join us for whatever length.

Put me on that list too. gerardncarey at fastmail dot fm

Regds
Gerard

Last edited:
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Gerald. .that is so funny.

I must admit that after being away for 7 weeks...I am missing the Kiwi accent a bit. And also the many different shades of green of Aotearoa.

But I guarantee this time next week when im back home...I will be missing the Meseta with its various shades of honey. ...the Pyrenees. ..with its long haired sheep and the way everyone acknowledges everyone with a simple Holla.
Tell me about it. What a place, what a people, what a time, what a trip. You couldn't have it better.

An invite to pilgrims living in Auckland to come along to an Auckland Tramping Club event. We have monthly get togethers where we share company and have guest speakers talking about a variety of topics, last month we had a practitioner of the Alexander technique. Every week we have hikes on Wednesday and Sundays, great training for the camino and many of us have walked it. Check out their website if interested.

Last edited:
You can put the meetings on the Events calendar in the top frame of the Forum, and collect RSVPs.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.