• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Newbie to Camino...tips and tricks for me?

LIndymoon

Time of past OR future Camino
Madrid May 2014
Hi everyone!

I am all sorts of new to the Camino. I have started a bit of research and have determined, based on "My Big Adventure" (traveling from Istanbul to Rome, Zurich, Frankfurt, Belgium, Paris and Barcelona...my pilgrimage from Madrid to Santiago...then into Portugal to explore with a friend as well as Wwoof - yep, BIG adventure) that my pilgrimage will be from Madrid...

I would love any insight as a newbie into how it all works. I seem to find mixed information on this route. Here are a few items I am interested in getting the facts for:

1) Distance - Is it 200mls? Does it take 14 days?? Does it take me to the end where St James is buried in Santiago or is this another adventure once I hit the Camino Frances???

2) Hostel stays - How often are they on this route? What are the average costs??

3) What to wear and what to pack - Going the beginning of May this year...what makes the most sense, takes the least amount of space and is the lightest to bring on this part of my adventure so that I survive! I am assuming that boots, a coat and my wits about me will not be enough to get by :) Are there stores with Madrid to purchase said staples, walking stick etc that you know of off hand??

4) Safety - I am a women in my mid 30's...how safe are these paths??? Meaning, what should I bring to combat myself against animals, elements and cRAziES??? Lol.

5) I am from MinneSNOWta in the USA (aka: Minnesota)...how much Spanish should I know; best to carry a small translation book perhaps. Fyi, I know perhaps 5-10 words tops!! "Ufda!" Haha, that is a Midwestern word for "Oh, geez" which translates into: "What am I getting myself into????"

6) Best websites out there to gain more info...what would you suggest?

Thanks so much for taking a bit of time to help your newbie. So looking forward to My Big Adventure!

Buen Camino.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I recommend that you take a bus 4 hours north from Madrid to Astorga. From there, walking the Camino will take 11 days over 158 miles, traveling through arguably the most beautiful part of the Camino Frances. You will arrive in Santiago de Compostela (the end of the Camino) and have three days to enjoy this amazing city and recuperate.

Get Brierley's book for basics and read this forum for packlists. I brought my gear from home. I'm also from Minnesota and know a little Spanish, but just enough to ask for necessities and be polite. I was fine.

One piece of equipment to bring is a multi-phone charger that will allow a few others to charge their phones at one outlet. You will make many friends as charging options are in hot demand at the albergues--not enough power outlets.

I did the Camino last April and it completely changed my outlook on life. Buen Camino.

You can start walking from Madrid, a little over 300 km (200 mls)will bring you to Sahagun, on the Camino Frances, and then you'll have some 350 km to Santiago. Is this what you want to do ? Is you'll love it . Just browse thru the CDM threads and you'll get all the info you need.
Signage is just perfect.
Giorgio

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Lindymoon,

14 days in my opinion is just a fraction short , you will be walking into beautiful cities .....i would see them.
*Please and *thank you are the only words that are required , the rest they will help you with along the way.
Albergues everywhere , ranging in price from 5 - 10 euro's but the Madrid Camino site will explain the pitfalls of the early stages out of Madrid.

You will be very, very safe and must realise over 100,000 women walk the camino each year ...you won't be alone once you join Frances@ Sahagan.
Will be mostly quiet up till then which allows you company with walkers if you wish.

I walked this route in May, too.
I also recommend you read old threads about it, and download the csj guide, which is available here for a donation:
http://www.csj.org.uk/guides-online.htm
It's nice and there are lots of info about where to stay, etc. I was very happy with it.
I found camino de Madrid easy and very relaxing. Just one big mountain to cross and not much road walking.
About equipment: there is of course a lot of gear shops in Madrid but I found them rather pricey. But there is a Decathlon store in the outskirts. I never went there but saw it on their website.

Camino Madrid from Madrid to Sahagun (321 km) and the Camino Frances from Sahagun to Santiago (380 km). I also walked this and really enjoyed it. The Camino Madrid, in particular, is lovely and interesting. Not as many people as on the Camino Frances. You can shorten any distance with bus or train should you not want to walk that far. For any of your other questions, just enter them in the search box on the top right of this page.

In addition to the very useful csj site that @Susannafromsweden posted above, try this as well:
mundicamino.com

In the "Camino Resources" section of this forum (at the top of this page), you will find information on gear and equipment, packing lists, and other valuable advice.

Anything else, just ask. We are here to help you. Buen camino!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I recommend that you take a bus 4 hours north from Madrid to Astorga. From there, walking the Camino will take 11 days over 158 miles, traveling through arguably the most beautiful part of the Camino Frances. You will arrive in Santiago de Compostela (the end of the Camino) and have three days to enjoy this amazing city and recuperate.

Get Brierley's book for basics and read this forum for packlists. I brought my gear from home. I'm also from Minnesota and know a little Spanish, but just enough to ask for necessities and be polite. I was fine.

One piece of equipment to bring is a multi-phone charger that will allow a few others to charge their phones at one outlet. You will make many friends as charging options are in hot demand at the albergues--not enough power outlets.

I did the Camino last April and it completely changed my outlook on life. Buen Camino.

Sorry, I misinterpreted the original post to mean you only had 14 days to travel.

I would recommend you take a bus from Madrid to Pamplona maybe, or another city along the Camino Frances. You will me better to start in a larger city on the Camino Frances route, than to do the Madrid to the CF .... this is only my opinion from experience. Starting in Pamplona, Logrono or Burgos even. Depending on the time you have. There's a very affordable train from Madrid to Pamplona, and I'm pretty sure to Logrono also. The other solution is to start at Carrion de Los Condes - very nice city, where we saw many people start. This is probably about half way from SJPDP and Santiago, the original complete route of the CF - this would leave with with about 400km to Santiago - I did on average 32km per day, but that is a lot for many. If you plan 25km per day, that is very feasible and leaved time to look around and enjoy. That would be 16 days. Always plan an extra day of two for contingency - you never know. (I needed one, was sick for one complete day, in bed...) So much to say, but hope this helps a bit. Let me know if you'd like to chat a bit about other stuff, we could connect via FB or other to have an easier "conversation" method and answer some of your questions. Great planning! It's part of the fun and part of the journey.... your Camino starts now, with the planning, the reflexion, .... Enjoy. If you want to connect, I'll give you my email

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Back