• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Norte in april, advice and stories welcome!

Eli_marie

Hi all! I will be doing my first walk this April, hopefully starting on April first or second. I will be doing the Camino del Norte but will be doing it alone. I have read that it can be a little more difficult to do this path due to lack of housing being available at nights and also (this will sound stupid) I'm afraid of getting lost!

I have a good pack, good shoes, and a bright spirit for this journey. I'm just...well, nervous! Any advice??

Eli

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hola

There will be places to stay in March/April, but many Albergues first opens around Easter, so one has to stay at youth hostels or pensions which are more expensive at times.

Plan to have a bit more expensive camino and you will be fine.

Here are some threads that may have some useful information for you:

http://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/camino-del-norte-march-april-2013.16175/

http://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/need-a-little-more-help.18494/

http://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/hello-from-the-norte.19085/

http://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/my-camino-norte-photos.20070/

http://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/notes-on-off-season-accommodation.17795/

http://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/can-i-just-wing-it.13413/

http://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/pictures-from-the-norte.2829/

For reasons unclear to me, the linking are wrong on some of these threads, so you have to copy/past the address into your browser to make them work. Sorry.

If you need additional information, do ask again.

Buen Camino

Lettinggo

wondering if it's a bad idea to be alone on the camino as a girl in her 20s
April will be pretty quiet in April. If you want the security of being in the company of like-minded pilgrims, the Camino Frances will provide more of that, yet in April it won't be crowded. On it, you will be within shouting distance of other pilgrims if you need something. Spain is very safe, but if something was going to happen, alone in the countryside on a less-traveled camino would be the place it might happen. Unemployment is around 25% in Spain, so many people have a lot of time on their hands.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I’m on my own as well, and I’ll be in Burgos on the 16th of April and walking the morning of the 18th. If our paths cross, I’ll make sure you’re okay, which I’m sure you’ll be anyways! I walked last April and had a wonderful time. In addition, as falcon269 stated the crowds are less and the peace and quiet of the days are wonderful. But not to worry, there is enough pilgrims around to chat with and keep you entertained along the way! Cheers, Dave
Buen camino

I’m on my own as well, and I’ll be in Burgos on the 16th of April and walking the morning of the 18th. If our paths cross, I’ll make sure you’re okay, which I’m sure you’ll be anyways! I walked last April and had a wonderful time. In addition, as falcon269 stated the crowds are less and the peace and quiet of the days are wonderful. But not to worry, there is enough pilgrims around to chat with and keep you entertained along the way! Cheers, Dave
Buen camino

Dave this is so great to hear! I'm really wanting some peace on this journey, and I'm afraid that if I do the Camino Frances then it will be too crowded (due to Easter) and that probably means beds will be taken up faster?

I've looked into other caminos, trying to see if there are some that'll...calm my nerves? But for some reason this one just feels right. Sounds like a challenge I am getting ready to face!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I was the same prior to my first Camino (last year), as I’m sure most people are. In my case, I had only a few opportunities to train, and in fact only managed about 9-walks of about 10 to 12 kms each, in the last 30-days prior to departure. It was fine! If you can walk 10-kms without problems, you can walk 20 or so. Find your pace/stride, take breaks, smile and love life! That’s it! :D I actually talked to some, who had over trained, which hurt them in the end. Just be aware of your own condition(s) and it’s all good.

Regardless of anything else, I wouldn’t worry too much, and just take each day in stride; focus on the moment, and breathe in your surroundings. Simply put, enjoy the journey of your first Camino. Additionally, don’t place to much emphasis on getting a bed, as that’s rarely an issue; or I’ve not seen it as one, especially during April.

Have fun!

I will be doing the Camino del Norte
I’ll be in Burgos on the 16th of April and walking the morning of the 18th. If our paths cross, I’ll make sure you’re okay
If you are on different routes, you are not likely to have paths cross.;)

Eli-marie, I can only really repeat things that have already been said - Spain is a safe country - the Camino Frances will not be crowded in April - the Norte will be very quiet.

I will add some bits though: I walked the Frances in March -May two years ago, arriving in Logrono on Good Friday as the city prepared for the great processions. The municipal albergue was "completo" but i found a bed, no problem, in the paroquial Albergue Santiago and had one of the high-light nights of my pilgrimage. Never had a problem finding a bed the entire trip. Sometimes I almost had Albergues to myself. I had set out seeking some solitude and some time to think and had all that I needed, I also encountered wonderful company. I have some experience of stretches of the Norte and while much of it is rural you will also pass through some major cities, ports and resorts and the pilgrim infrastructure is much sparser than along the Frances. You may also find that some of the Albergues and other accommodations are not open so early in the "season".

All that said there are bound to be Norte enthusiasts among members who will be eloquent of its charms. Personally I find Santander a wonderful city, Santillana del Mar exquisite, Llanes has my favourite sideria on the whole coast and Poo is worth visiting if only to take the inevitable photo of the boundary sign. (The Camino is now routed so that you do not need to await the falling tide at Poo to cross the estuary.) At Ribadesella you have the chance to view per-historic cave paintings. At Gijon you can try the museum of the bag-pipe. And I refer only to a 150k or so of its delights.

There are some excellent threads on this forum on personal safety, and specifically for lone female pilgrims, that will provide sound advice but also re-assurance I am sure.

Buen camino

If you are on different routes, you are not likely to have paths cross.;)

Ha too funny. Take one tired person, toss in a lack of focus while multi-tasking and you have an old fool, a.k.a. me :D Nonetheless, the gist and sentiments hold true! Enjoy your Camino, whichever path you choose! P.S. Thanks falcon269, for correcting my careless meanderings.

Last edited by a moderator:
Eli-marie, I can only really repeat things that have already been said - Spain is a safe country - the Camino Frances will not be crowded in April - the Norte will be very quiet.

I will add some bits though: I walked the Frances in March -May two years ago, arriving in Logrono on Good Friday as the city prepared for the great processions. The municipal albergue was "completo" but i found a bed, no problem, in the paroquial Albergue Santiago and had one of the high-light nights of my pilgrimage. Never had a problem finding a bed the entire trip. Sometimes I almost had Albergues to myself. I had set out seeking some solitude and some time to think and had all that I needed, I also encountered wonderful company. I have some experience of stretches of the Norte and while much of it is rural you will also pass through some major cities, ports and resorts and the pilgrim infrastructure is much sparser than along the Frances. You may also find that some of the Albergues and other accommodations are not open so early in the "season".

All that said there are bound to be Norte enthusiasts among members who will be eloquent of its charms. Personally I find Santander a wonderful city, Santillana del Mar exquisite, Llanes has my favourite sideria on the whole coast and Poo is worth visiting if only to take the inevitable photo of the boundary sign. (The Camino is now routed so that you do not need to await the falling tide at Poo to cross the estuary.) At Ribadesella you have the chance to view per-historic cave paintings. At Gijon you can try the museum of the bag-pipe. And I refer only to a 150k or so of its delights.

There are some excellent threads on this forum on personal safety, and specifically for lone female pilgrims, that will provide sound advice but also re-assurance I am sure.

Buen camino

The people in this forum are amazing! More research is needed on my end, and I'll look into other paths. Thanks to you all :)

check out my blog, it is not very detailed but I loved the norte, in April I met up with a few other walkers and we formed a "family" it was a great experience.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi there I do recommend a guide of some sort if you do the Camino Norte. There is good waymarking but sometimes new highways or weather may mean a detour. We also had a smallish camino family group which was great. We walked in June about 5 years ago and managed to get a lost/confused three or four times. Once we got lost because for some strange reason we followed the "cyclist" sign (our error). Another time it was near Soto de Luina -near some eucalypt forest and many other pilgrims that day had also had a long confusing walk. The third time was because a van was parked in front of a yellow arrow ( so we just did a bit of backtracking). In all cases we were not "lost" in that roads and towns are quite close. We used the CSJ guide. On our camino there were many nationalities with guidebooks in their own language. The German guide seemed to be the best. Most pilgrims were travelling on their own.
Cheers

I walked the Norte in spring 2013 and despite being nervous before I went, had a great time. On route I met several young women walking alone and often they would team up with other pilgrims and walk together or meet up at the alberges at night. Most hospitlaleros at the alberges are very well informed about the options for the next days walking and it often boiled down to a simple choice eg walk 18km or 25km. Don't worry about getting lost, the way is very well marked, and if you do stray off the path its easy to find your way back. The locals all know the route and will point you in the right direction. In the first week you adjust physically, the second mentally, and by the third you are into a routine and a rythmn and it all becomes good fun. Just be open to whatever comes along, and you'll have a great trip. Buen Camino!

I walked the Norte in spring 2013 and despite being nervous before I went, had a great time. On route I met several young women walking alone and often they would team up with other pilgrims and walk together or meet up at the alberges at night. Most hospitlaleros at the alberges are very well informed about the options for the next days walking and it often boiled down to a simple choice eg walk 18km or 25km. Don't worry about getting lost, the way is very well marked, and if you do stray off the path its easy to find your way back. The locals all know the route and will point you in the right direction. In the first week you adjust physically, the second mentally, and by the third you are into a routine and a rythmn and it all becomes good fun. Just be open to whatever comes along, and you'll have a great trip. Buen Camino!

Thank you! I bought my train ticket to Irun last night, boots are good to go, and the spirit is there. Thank you for your advice, only gets me more and more excited!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
You dont need to "register" as such, but head for the pilgrims hostel where you will meet up with others who are starting out the next day. There is a supermarket across the road for food, or local bars if you dont feel like cooking an evening meal there. The day I started there was an eclectic mix of pilgrims, some like myself were first timers, others were old hands on the camino. Just thinking of this makes me deeply nostalgic, and I really envy you starting out on the Norte. Have a great time!

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I think the Albergue in Irun is opening on April 1st this year so that's where you'll want to go. See if you can get your credential mailed to you before you go. Otherwise, I'm pretty sure you can get it in Irun. The albergue opens at 4:00 so you'll have a little time to wander around town before checking in. I wish I was heading back again this year!

I think the Albergue in Irun is opening on April 1st this year so that's where you'll want to go. See if you can get your credential mailed to you before you go. Otherwise, I'm pretty sure you can get it in Irun. The albergue opens at 4:00 so you'll have a little time to wander around town before checking in. I wish I was heading back again this year!
Thank you so much! I'll look into getting one mailed tonight.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The hospitalero at the alberge/hostel in Irun had credenciales, if you don't manage to get one mailed to you.

Hi all! I will be doing my first walk this April, hopefully starting on April first or second. I will be doing the Camino del Norte but will be doing it alone. I have read that it can be a little more difficult to do this path due to lack of housing being available at nights and also (this will sound stupid) I'm afraid of getting lost!

I have a good pack, good shoes, and a bright spirit for this journey. I'm just...well, nervous! Any advice??

Eli
Hi Eli,
I'm also a single gal who'll be walking the Northern Route beginning the first part of April. I'm glad you posted your questions as all the advice is good and encouraging. It'll be a great walk, I'm super excited about it… even if I do get lost on occasion.
Buen Camino, my fellow walker. :)
Sandy

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

I walked the Camino Francés in Octobee 2022, from Villafranca del Bierzo to Santiago de Compostela, and loved it. I would like to walk the Camino del Norte as I'm drawn to the coast, culture and...
Hello everyone. I know that pre-booking accommodation has been discussed many, many times, so apologies but I wanted to be quite specific. We are walking from Irún to Bilbao in the first week of...
Hello! I am visiting Northern Spain for the first time this June and would am planning on hiking a small segment of the Camino. I've done a little research and decided to hike between Zarautz and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.