• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Norte route (Gronze guide versus Eroski)

jpflavin1

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino 2024 unknown starting 4/1 from somewhere.
I have been reviewing both these guides. While they suggest the same etapas the Gronze guide offers several optional stages versus the Eroski guide. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with the alternate options. If so, are they well marked, easy to find? I begin on April 1st from San Sebastian. Any and all responses welcome.

Ultreya,
Joe

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I looked at both before my camino in 2012, they both have something a little different from each other.Eroski had just started updating its diagrams but was only up to the first 2 etapas however like you said Gronze seemed to give a little more advice on the variants.
I ended up using advice and distances from both, and dont forget the replies from pilgrims that come with each etapa on Eroski they can offer little insights or secrets that are not common knowledge I found out about one albergue at Boo before it became listed
for that stage. I know of another one still not listed but mentioned by the pilgrims comments on that etapa. So i would pick which diagrams, if you want suits you best and take comments and notes from each. In the end I didnt take anything I had been on this topic so much I left it too my memory to hopefully remind me of distances and places, which was fine in theory, but after San Sebastian I realised I didnt have clue, so i had to make regular visits to internet cafes.

And just realised that i had only answered part of your question, the alternatives as I remember are indicated on the ground. Gronze tends to list most of the variants and compares them against the main routes also giving distances. I know the cicerone guide lists the variants and gives details on them as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jpflavin 1. I have extracted today this paragraph from the Eroski fórum. I think it will be useful for you.

"Los últimos temporales que hemos sufrido en toda la cornisa cantábrica han vuelto a romper el puente que une la playa de La Arena con el barrio de Pobeña (que suele ser final de etapa por el albergue que ahí se encuentra). De momento esta anulada por lo que hay que dar un rodeo de unos 2,5 kms cogiendo la carretera direccion Muskiz."

In stage Portugalete- Pobeña, the bridge between Playa La Arena and Pobeña has been broken by the past rough weather. At this moment, you have to walk 2,5 kms more by taking the road direction Muskiz.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Pelegrin:

Thank you for the information. I will make a note for myself.

Joe

Most read last week in this forum

I walked the Camino Francés in Octobee 2022, from Villafranca del Bierzo to Santiago de Compostela, and loved it. I would like to walk the Camino del Norte as I'm drawn to the coast, culture and...
Hello everyone. I know that pre-booking accommodation has been discussed many, many times, so apologies but I wanted to be quite specific. We are walking from Irún to Bilbao in the first week of...
Hello! I am visiting Northern Spain for the first time this June and would am planning on hiking a small segment of the Camino. I've done a little research and decided to hike between Zarautz and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.