• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Northern Caminos eBook

Dave

Time of past OR future Camino
First: Camino Francés 2002; most recent: Norte/Primitivo 2019
Hi all,

Greetings from St Jean PDP. Just finished the walk from Le Puy today. Now, only a few days on the GR10 separate me from the Norte. I'll be walking with a group of my students, so let me know if we might overlap.

But, the bigger news: I just got word from Cicerone that the ebook version of Northern Caminos is ready to go. Look for it on Cicerone's site and from Amazon this week!

Regards,
Dave

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi Dave,
I am leaving for the Camino del Norte on Monday and have had a really hard time finding a guide book. An e guide book would be great! I couldn't find it on amazon. Do you know if it is available anywhere now?
Thanks,
Janneke

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thank you so much for this information - english guides for the Norte are hard to find.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Please let me know how the gr10 is, I need to get to irun from sjpdp or from jaca, someone told me about 3 routes, the gr10 looks the most appealing because I'm used to backpacking in the appalachian mountains. However, it would be the first week of october, and I'd be walking alone. I have camping gear, but no snow gear for higher altitudes. Thanks, Lucinda

I got the printed version of that from amazon a couple of weeks ago, gotta say (although I've not actually done the CdN yet) it seems pretty damn good so far. Using it to create a route in google earth so I can whack it on my phone on the off chance we get lost (ex military so I believe in preparation :D ). Wasn't expecting it but a really handy part of the book is the albergue's and costs. Highly recommended from me :)

I used Dave's guidebook to walk the entire Norte June and Early July of this year and found the information up to date and very reliable. I cannot imagine walking the Norte without this book.

Buen Camino!
Bobbie

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I used Dave's guidebook to walk the entire Norte June and Early July of this year and found the information up to date and very reliable. I cannot imagine walking the Norte without this book.

Buen Camino!
Bobbie
Which book are you referring to? Do you have a link to the site where it can be purchased? thank you

I walked the Norte this spring with no guide book at all, just follow the yellow arrows and ask at the alberges what the distances for the next day are. If in doubt there are other pilgrims to consult with each evening.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I too used this guide in April/May 2013 and found it invaluable! I cut out the pages that I needed as it is a bit heavy. We did find the way markers to be not as frequent and at times confusing on the Norte (compared to the Frances) so in this case, I believe a guide is a must. Together with some notes from this forum about recommended alternative paths and where to stop for great cheesecake we didn't put a foot wrong

I too used this guide in April/May 2013 and found it invaluable! I cut out the pages that I needed as it is a bit heavy. We did find the way markers to be not as frequent and at times confusing on the Norte (compared to the Frances) so in this case, I believe a guide is a must. Together with some notes from this forum about recommended alternative paths and where to stop for great cheesecake we didn't put a foot wrong

I agree!

Hi all,

Greetings from St Jean PDP. Just finished the walk from Le Puy today. Now, only a few days on the GR10 separate me from the Norte. I'll be walking with a group of my students, so let me know if we might overlap.

But, the bigger news: I just got word from Cicerone that the ebook version of Northern Caminos is ready to go. Look for it on Cicerone's site and from Amazon this week!

Regards,
Dave
Hi Dave ,Please let us know what the weather is like this time of year.Thanks & have a great trip!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
This book is not available on Amazon or Cicerone -- out of stock. Is it available any where else ?

You might want to Private Message Dave on this forum to see if he can help. I just tried the USA Amazon and was able to order the book, did not try to order ebook.

Hope this helps,
Bobbie

Shoot, sorry for the slow response--the first month+ of the school year is a bear!

Erika: I walked the Norte/Primitivo in September/October a few years back. I had fantastic luck with the weather--cool mornings, crisp days, and still enough warmth to get my clothes dry. These things are quite variable, though, and I think I had some good luck.

Bryan: The second printing is in process, with updates through August of this year. It should be available, freshly-minted, from Cicerone before too long (worth noting--I'm always overly optimistic on these sorts of things). For the moment, both Amazon US and UK have new/used copies available through other vendors. Let me know if you have trouble finding the link.

Thanks, Bobbie!
Dave

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thanks.
Have ordered a copy through Amazon UK. Not walking until May 2014 so in no real hurry.

And once you do start walking , don´t be in a hurry either. Enjoy the walk, see the landscape, listen to all the nature around you.:)

Buen Camino!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I walked the camino del norte + Primitivo with this book (The Northern Camino). I recorded all day with my hiking GPS software.
I think The total elevation are totaly wrong in this book. I recorded almost the double total elevation with my GPS software all the time that are written in book.
example: the book says that the Total ascent : 440m on Markina- Xemein to Gernika. I recorded : 807m. and I experienced similar difference on each stages.
Terrain map and details map for big cities are misssing. it would be great help for pilgrims. in some "big" cities, the waymarking is terrible.
For me, this book was not big help. I don't want to hurt the writter and I appreciate their work. It's only my opinion.

I have a feeling the book is evolving over time with remarks and inputs from pilgrims, I hope so anyway. I know that the Conrad Stein Del Norte book has been going for a long time and is often used as the yardstick for accuracy, but if you look on the Conrad Stein website, there is a whole list of additions or corrections sent in by pilgrims and these are listed. The cicerone book is a work in progress, but hopefully with each new edition it will be amongst the very best guides.

Most read last week in this forum

Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...
I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back