• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Off-the-beaten path suggestions for Camino Norte and Primitivo?

TravelingTagine

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino del Norte (Sept 2014)
Hello peregrinos,

My husband and I are doing the Camino for the first time in Sept 2014. Our plan is to walk Part 1 from Irun to Bilbao and Part 2 from Lugo to Santiago over two weeks. I have read many of the posts and am using the Cicerone guidebook and suggestions for where to stay. However, I know there many unique and unusual experiences of sight and places to stay that are not listed in guidebooks. Based on our route, are there any recommended off- the -beaten path places or experiences that we should consider? Many thanks.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hmm possibly check the Spanish Website Gronze??? I've been looking at that one and using Google Translate!! Good luck and Buen Camino!

Well, my suggestions are all related to old )very old) churches. If you don't like ancient architecture, these are not likely to be of interest. There are three.

First, when you leave the Norte to go down to Oviedo and onto the Primitivo (that turn-off is roughly at Villaviciosa), you will see a sign for the church at Valdediós. There is an albergue there in the monastery (there are some recent comments on other threads), but a visit to the 9 century church, sitting in a meadow in the valley, is really worth it.

Valdedios.jpg valdediosvalley.jpg

Then, the second, when you are in Oviedo, a nice walk up the Naranco hill takes you to a pre-Romanesque church and palace. Wow.

naranco.jpg IMG_0245.JPG

And third, a few kms off the road from Lugo to San Román, there is a 3rd century Roman temple, now in the lower level of the church of Santa Eulalia. Check hours with the tourist office in Lugo, though, because the crisis seems to have resulted in reduced visiting hours.

SantaEulalia1.jpg

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Between Laredo and Gijón is some stunningly beautiful coastline, as well as the vibrant city of Santander. I know this is part of you skip area, but it might be worth spending a few days in transit.
I could spend all day making a list of exciting and interesting places to visit. For scenery, I'd list Playa de Valdearenas, just west of Santander.
For picturesque cities there is San Vicente de la Barquera on the coast or Potes in the mountains.

Between Laredo and Gijón is some stunningly beautiful coastline, as well as the vibrant city of Santander. I know this is part of you skip area, but it might be worth spending a few days in transit.
I could spend all day making a list of exciting and interesting places to visit. For scenery, I'd list Playa de Valdearenas, just west of Santander.
For picturesque cities there is San Vicente de la Barquera on the coast or Potes in the mountains.

This post reminds me that the little town of Cudillero is not actually on the Camino del Norte, but maybe a 1km descent to the water. It is a very picturesque little place.

This post reminds me that the little town of Cudillero is not actually on the Camino del Norte, but maybe a 1km descent to the water. It is a very picturesque little place.

Y si en vez de bajar directo por la carretera, al pasar El Pito, te desvías hacia La Atalaya, tendréis unas vistas muy bonitas del pueblo, mucho mejor que bajar por carretera

And if instead of straight down the road, going El Pito, you deviate to La Atalaya, you have a very nice view of the town, much better road to go down.

http://www.jfcamina.es/caminoscosteros/AS-Z13-01-Muros/AS-Z13-01-Muros.htm

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The coast is so beautiful and interesting, you could stop almost anywhere.
There is a little town inland from the Asturias Coast, called Columbres. In Columbres is a Museum for the Indianos, the name given to early 20th Century Spaniards who came to the New World to make their fortune, and then returned to Spain with that fortune. They built big impressive houses and started new businesses. The house are now highly prized for restoration and preservation.

In the museum are artifacts from my home town, and news articles about the societies and clubs I recall from my youth. In fact, there are items there that were directly part of, or symbolic of my my father's and my grandmother's life here.
It is a small world when you look around.
Enjoy Northern Spain and Buen Camino.

Most read last week in this forum

I walked the Camino Francés in Octobee 2022, from Villafranca del Bierzo to Santiago de Compostela, and loved it. I would like to walk the Camino del Norte as I'm drawn to the coast, culture and...
Hello everyone. I know that pre-booking accommodation has been discussed many, many times, so apologies but I wanted to be quite specific. We are walking from Irún to Bilbao in the first week of...
Hello! I am visiting Northern Spain for the first time this June and would am planning on hiking a small segment of the Camino. I've done a little research and decided to hike between Zarautz and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back