• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

"old" Guys on an adventure...

John M

We have been reading with interest the posts about the over 60’s on the Camino. We fit into that category: Juan at sesenta tres and me at setenta ocho! Both of us have been training for over a year so we are physically prepared for the trip. We are planning to start from Jaca on or about September 20, 2013 and are looking for any and all advice/comments/suggestions/ directions/insights on the section between Jaca and Puente la Reina.

Here's our tentative agenda:

Day 1: the decision is to visit Montesterio (Viajo/Nuevo) de San Juan de la Pena and add a day to our walk and staying in Santa Cilia or NOT going to the monasterio and going on to Puenta la Riene de Jaca or Arres. Any suggestions on the monasterio and what might be best, Puenta la Riena or Arres.

Our basic concerns on each section are about making sure where to stock up on food and water and a place to sleep.

Day 2: (depending on Day 1) would be to go from Arres to either Artieda or Ruesta. Opinions?

Day 3: to Undues de Lerda

Day 4: to Izco

At this point we will be taking our first day off! Although we are both in above average physical condition we understand the need to recharge our body and spirit. We found little information on this section so anything you can tell us is much appreciated! (where to find maps, what not to miss, what to avoid, etc).

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
We walked the Aragonés last year. More or less the same dates. We took the local bus up to the Monastery, which left, I think at 9 or 9.30. You can ask at the bus station.
The Monastery is a MUST do. It is incredible. We didn't go up to the newer monastery higher up, but started to walk down the steep, narrow and stony path to Sta. Cruz de Silas, which took about two hours. That day we continued walking as far as Arres, which was perhaps too far, considering that the weather was very hot, we were still under the effects of jet lag and we are both over 70. We arrived late, at 7 pm and got the last two beds!
The rest of the route was: Arres/Artieda/Undues/Sangueza/Isco/Tiebas/ and then once on the Francés, we first stopped at Ciraqui.
If I did it again, I think I would like to stay at Ruesta. Be careful, because between Ruesta and Unduez there is a very, very long, steep climb through a pine forest. I is unending. You most definitely need extra water there, plus something to eat. Anne
/

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
there is a very, very long, steep climb through a pine forest
This spring the route was blocked by a landslide! It was a 100 meter hand and knee scramble for walkers, and impassable for cyclists. It is probably cleared by now.

Thanks Anna and Falcon...good info about the monastery snd pine forest. We have a long way to go. No sense getting in a hurry.

San Juan Pena is SPLENDID; the site and the historic buildings nestled into that site form a perfect composition. Here is their official web site in English with lots of photos and useful info on times, etc. Don't miss this wonderful complex!

Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
We started from Somport this May and IMO the first evening walking to Canfranc Estacion (Pepito Grillo) and then the next days walk to Jaca (Casa Mamre) were the most spectacular of our Aragones. We decided against visiting the monastery as we were still jetlagged and exhausted and walked on to the quaint ,atmospheric and delightful albergue at Arres.
Next day to Ruesta long day but so worth it ,don't miss Ruesta as it may not be there in the future if they extend the dam.
Sanguesa,good albergue then Izco via Foz de Lumbier then to Tiebus and the private Albergue Rincol.
It is a beautiful Camino, John and every day unique.
Buen Camino
Heather

Thanks, Margeret and Heather. All good info and I wish we could see it all but our time is limited and we must make choices...looking forward to the advantage. Buen camino.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
don't miss Ruesta as it may not be there in the future if they extend the dam.
You cannot get to any part of Ruestra except the albergue, which is quite nice. Plans now are for a much lower water level in the dam, so Ruestra will be around for a while. There is a lot of opposition to the reservoir now, but plans are moving ahead and there are bridges across desert in preparation. A new camino route has been proposed, and it may be much nicer when placed further up the hillside.

Do not miss San Juan de la Pena. It's almost worth the entire trip-- one of my art history friends says that we could not understand the master carver's work until Picasso. The Aragonese does not feature as many villages with fountains, so make sure that you are carrying enough water.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
If you take the bus, you pay €14 per person, but this includes the entrance fee to the Monasteries and the return ride back to Jaca if you don't want to start walking from the Monastery. Personally, I think that this is the Number 1 "attraction" of all the Caminos that I have ever done! Try not to miss it! Anne

I think the whole Aragones from Somport is very beautiful and worth taking time over. I post another vote for visiting the monastery AND Eunate.

Well, I'm convinced and plan to visit the monastery. However, our more important logistical question about where to find provisions along the Camino Aragonés remains unanswered. Any information about where groceries and restaurants are not available (e.g. Arrés) would be appreciated. Thx

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Well, I'm convinced and plan to visit the monastery. However, our more important logistical question about where to find provisions along the Camino Aragonés remains unanswered. Any information about where groceries and restaurants are not available (e.g. Arrés) would be appreciated. Thx
The albergue in Arres provides a communal dinner. I don't remember having difficulty finding a place to stop for a snack during the day. We underestimated in the amount of water to take, but that was because the weather was extremely hot. We always have a bit of emergency food with us ( piece of cheese, chorizo, dried fruit and nuts, etc). Anne

Thanks, Falcon, I've reviewed those sites and have been planning our stops based on their info. Thanks for confirming that the information is current as far as you know.
Anne, I was not aware of the communal dinner being served in Arres. That tidbit puts to rest my fear of going to bed on an empty stomach our first night out.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The Arres communal dinner depends on the hospitalero, and may have become intermittent since the death a couple of years ago of the long-time one. Pilgrims seem to have kept up the tradition, though the Italian who was cooking one night this spring was dead in his bed the next morning (according to the story on the camino). There is a restaurant up the hill if dinner is not happening in the albergue. Bring food!

We had a communal dinner there last September. (Falcon, I thought that the Italian who stayed there actually died on that unending stretch of road going up the mountain after Ruesta).

Ah, the plot thickens! It will be interesting to see what we find when we get there. Bottom line is - be prepared. Since I recently did two solo backpacking trips in Zion National Park, I am very familiar with the concept. I cannot find any reference to a restaurant in Arres so I'll plan like there isn't one and be pleasantly surprised if we find one and it is open. Thanks again to you both.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I thought that the Italian who stayed there actually died on that unending stretch of road going up the mountain after Ruesta
I could be. You know stories! He was said to have been the lead cook the night before, then was found dead in his bed the next morning. Resuscitation efforts did not work.

Ruestra does take some work, particularly on a hot afternoon. I thought the albergue was excellent, as was the bar and the food. The climb out the next morning took some sharp eyes to find the entrance to the main path up. Cyclists with a broken chain were standing in front of a critical waymark, so I did a circular walkabout for ten minutes. They were gone on my second pass, and the path became fairly obvious!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back