Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Oviedo

miriam

I'll be arriving in Oviedo by bus late on a Sunday evening, planning to start walking the next morning.
Can someone recommend a place to stay, please, near the bus station and the cathedral? I'd like to post out my walking sticks, so need to book in advance.
Thanks.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I'll be arriving in Oviedo by bus late on a Sunday evening, planning to start walking the next morning.
Can someone recommend a place to stay, please, near the bus station and the cathedral? I'd like to post out my walking sticks, so need to book in advance.
Thanks.

Miriam:

I walked straight through Oviedo after completing the San Salvador so I can not recommend a place to stay.

That said, I would recommend you stay near the Cathedral. The Primitivo starts just outside the Cathedral. There is a restaurant bar to the right as you are leaving the Cathedral. In the pavement is the first marker for the Primitivo. Just follow the markers in the sidewalk, which are at every corner through the city of Oviedo.

Ultreya,
Joe

Hi, Miriam,
What do you mean by "late"? If it's before midnight, you will find people on the streets. The area near the train station is not as nice as the area near the cathedral, IMO, though it's fine.

The hotel falcon recommends is nice, and it's right next door to one that's in the same vein but a little nicer, the Vetusta. I've stayed there a number of times, and it's a great location.

For a more budget accommodation, consider the Hostal Arcos, right in the old part. Rates are really quite reasonable and the quality is good. http://www.hostal-arcos.com Wonderful helpful owners.

I know you didn't ask about this, but there is a lot to see, do, and enjoy in Oviedo. In terms of old historic core, museums, pre-romanesque churches, etc. Some pilgrims have no interest in touring, they just want to walk, but if you are so inclined, you might consider taking a day there to see a bit of this absolutely beautiful city. Buen camino, Laurie

Miriam:

... The Primitivo starts just outside the Cathedral. There is a restaurant bar to the right as you are leaving the Cathedral. In the pavement is the first marker for the Primitivo ...

I think this may be the marker you are referring to. As Joe said it is just outside the cathedral, to the right. Very easy to find.

Attachments

• Spain2013-70.jpg
    Spain2013-70.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 16
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi, Miriam,
What do you mean by "late"? If it's before midnight, you will find people on the streets. The area near the train station is not as nice as the area near the cathedral, IMO, though it's fine.

The hotel falcon recommends is nice, and it's right next door to one that's in the same vein but a little nicer, the Vetusta. I've stayed there a number of times, and it's a great location.

For a more budget accommodation, consider the Hostal Arcos, right in the old part. Rates are really quite reasonable and the quality is good. http://www.hostal-arcos.com Wonderful helpful owners.

I know you didn't ask about this, but there is a lot to see, do, and enjoy in Oviedo. In terms of old historic core, museums, pre-romanesque churches, etc. Some pilgrims have no interest in touring, they just want to walk, but if you are so inclined, you might consider taking a day there to see a bit of this absolutely beautiful city. Buen camino, Laurie
Thank you, Laurie. I had just read your recent report on your walk last October, today! Very interesting. Thanks for all your advice here. We've only got 11 days, and nothing planned, so we'll see....Thanks again, Miriam

We stayed in the Hotel Vetusta. Very nice, excellent cafe with delicious freshly baked temptations for breakfast. They also made delicious sandwiches to take with us for the day. Anne

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! Started today from Oviedo to Escamplero. Now I know, why so many people say it's a bit of a challenge to come out of Oviedo. I got lost just once, but was rescued by a very friendly guy. A...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back