• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pamplona Albergue during San Fermin

fourroads

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances (2013); Portugues (2016)
I've been haunting this forum for months. Fabulous resource! Have been reading like a fiend but never needed to post until I read today somewhere in my internet scavenging that albergues are closed during San Fermin festival. Unfortunately, this happens to be when I'm passing through. Can anyone weigh in on their experiences on finding a bed during San Fermin? Do I need to book into a hotel that night?
Thanks!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Someone more knowledgeable than I will speak to the albergues situation, but I do know that most hotels double or triple their prices during the San Fermin. If this is unavoidable for your schedule, you might want to consider the del Norte, or scamper ahead to Puente la Reina or Estella.

fourroads,

If you are arriving in Pamplona by plane you might avoid the city totally by walking southeast from the airport to Tiebas to join the Camino Aragones. Tiebas has two albergues. See them on this Eroski site >> http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es./et ... e-la-reina. After Tiebas walk west on the CA paralleling route NA-601 to the splendid circular Romanesque church at Eunate where the albergue is now unfortunately closed and then 4k further to Puente la Reina/Gares to meet the Camino Frances.

Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Avoid Pamplona city center during San Fermines. That's more than crazy, dusty, noisy, for a pilgrim that's the hell itself. All albergues are closed, except for Albergue Iberdrola, but it is 50 € (!!!) to get a bed there during this week. Go forward to Cizur Menor, Zariquiegui or to Uterga which have Albergues open these days.
The best solution is to go round Pamplona city center (Casco Antiguo) during San Fermin. I drew a simple map with an alternative route which can help you in these days:
http://goo.gl/maps/HJwnW

Thanks for the replies, I'm glad I asked as it does seem to be a small hiccup. I'm starting in St. Jean and unfortunately can't choose another time to go. I'm a teacher so am blessed with having lots of time to do the camino but not with flexibility about when I go. I'm also travelling with a friend and since it's out first camino we're both pretty keen about doing the Frances route. So all factors considered, we will just have to find an alternative to Pamplona. That being said, István your map looks great! Thanks for that, really helpful.

Istvan_Pamplona said:
Avoid Pamplona city center during San Fermines. That's more than crazy, dusty, noisy, for a pilgrim that's the hell itself. All albergues are closed, except for Albergue Iberdrola, but it is 50 € (!!!) to get a bed there during this week. Go forward to Cizur Menor, Zariquiegui or to Uterga which have Albergues open these days.
The best solution is to go round Pamplona city center (Casco Antiguo) during San Fermin. I drew a simple map with an alternative route which can help you in these days:

Thanks for the map, Istvan, that could prove to be helpful indeed :)

I expect to walk through Pamplona on July 12 – any chance that it's slightly less crowded in the city centre by then, or does the cooling-down only really starts after the 14th? I plan to look for a bed in Cizur Menor (or further), but it would be great to catch some of the San Fermín atmosphere while passing through Pamplona. Not really sure what to expect though!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Bouwmeester said:
Istvan_Pamplona said:

Thanks for the map, Istvan, that could prove to be helpful indeed :)

I expect to walk through Pamplona on July 12 – any chance that it's slightly less crowded in the city centre by then, or does the cooling-down only really starts after the 14th? I plan to look for a bed in Cizur Menor (or further), but it would be great to catch some of the San Fermín atmosphere while passing through Pamplona. Not really sure what to expect though!

Whole San Fermín is very busy, especially for weekends. 12 of July is Friday, the evening will be crazy for sure, but the early afternoon is more quiet. Please note, that bulls run every morning at 8.00, that is the most spectacular period of the day.

Meanwhile San Fermín alternative map has been upgraded:)

That's good to hear, thank you. Thanks also for the updated map, will keep it in mind!

It's not that there is so much bed space availability in Cizur Menor. (Approx 80 beds between the two Albergues). That is not much for one load of Pilgrims walking in mid July, hoping to find a bed there, i stead of staying in Pamplona. Believe me! Margaret's advice to walk around the hill towards Tiebas and the to Puente de la Reina, via Eunate, makes sense! Anne

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
annakappa said:
It's not that there is so much bed space availability in Cizur Menor. (Approx 80 beds between the two Albergues). That is not much for one load of Pilgrims walking in mid July, hoping to find a bed there, i stead of staying in Pamplona. Believe me! Margaret's advice to walk around the hill towards Tiebas and the to Puente de la Reina, via Eunate, makes sense! Anne

Here is the thread on Avoiding the Alto de Perdon to which Anne refers. >> el-camino-frances/topic17036.html

Good luck and Buen camino,

Margaret Meredith

When I was there in late February, I was told by the hospitaleros of Casa Paderborn that the albergue would be open during San Fermin.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.