• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pilgrim supplies on CdM, trekking poles?

Phillypilgrim

Time of past OR future Camino
C F Sept.(2013) Camino de Madrid & Finisterre/Muxia Sept. (2014)
Finisterre/Muia June (2017).
Any chance of finding a shop with poles on CdM? Last year I picked up my single (cheap) trekking pole in Pamplona, but my trusty sidekick did not make it's way home with me.:eek:

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Any chance of finding a shop with poles on CdM? Last year I picked up my single (cheap) trekking pole in Pamplona, but my trusty sidekick did not make it's way home with me.:eek:

Hi, Phillypilgrim,

There's a Barrabes outdoor shop in the Plaza de Cuzco in Madrid, not far from the first arrows at the Plaza Castilla. Navacerrada and Cercedilla are both mountain towns, and there's a lot of outdoor activity going on. Navacerrada has at least one store, http://www.paramontaña.com/tiendas and I'll bet Cercedilla does too.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Only on the stage from Cercedilla to Segovia over the mountain it could be nice, but you can make it without poles.

Thanks Laurie.
I thought I'd leave mine home this year.
Do you need poles on the Madrid route???

Hi, Annie, If by "do you need poles on the Madrid route?" you mean me personally, I would say I ALWAYS need poles. They have become an important part of my walking rhythm, I take very few Camino steps without them. But that's probably not what you meant. :)

I'm assuming you like them for ascents and descents primarily, so the stage from Cercedilla to Segovia would be the obvious one where you might want them. There's a 500 m elevation gain in 8 km, if those numbers mean anything to you, and the descent is much more gradual. There is a lot of flat walking from Madrid to Sahagun, no doubt, so if you don't use them regularly, I guess I would say this is a good route for leaving them home.

When are you starting? Buen camino, Laurie

We fly into Madrid on May 1. Start the next day.
I think I'll leave them home this year.
I bought new pacer poles, but since we're doing this Madrid route, not sure whether I'll take them or not.
I'll decide last minute.
I do that a lot…:p
Thanks Laurie!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Thanks Laurie! Pam

Most read last week in this forum

Hello I am in the planning phase of the Camino de Madrid. Hoping to start walking in late May. The Confraternity of James' guidebook in out of print and no longer available, so I have been basing...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.