• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Places to Stay in Redondela

Charrito

Veteran Member
I've done the Camino Portugués twice, but have never stayed in Redondela. The first time I carried on to the Playa de Cesantes (and stayed in the Hotel Antolín), and the second time, after having lunch a few kilometres the other side of Redondela in the Pensión Jumboli (on the main road), I carried on to Arcade.

My question is this: as my wife will be with me this time (her first Camino!) and she wants a bit more comfort than what you find in albergues, where would you recommend us to stay?

Thanks!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I've done the Camino Portugués twice, but have never stayed in Redondela. The first time I carried on to the Playa de Cesantes (and stayed in the Hotel Antolín), and the second time, after having lunch a few kilometres the other side of Redondela in the Pensión Jumboli (on the main road), I carried on to Arcade.

My question is this: as my wife will be with me this time (her first Camino!) and she wants a bit more comfort than what you find in albergues, where would you recommend us to stay?

Thanks!
My wife and I stayed in the albergue in Redondela last year so had no experiences with other places but in Brierleys guide are some mentioned and the experiences we had in places like Pontevedra, Caldas de Reis and Padrón I think they are about the same so nothing to worry about and basicly comfy.
Next year when we-God willing -walk again the Portugese ,we dfinitely do not go to the Redondela albergue. We are just like you. :). Love our comfort too

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByCamino de Santiago Forum1406812176.300518.jpg
    ImageUploadedByCamino de Santiago Forum1406812176.300518.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I stayed in redondela in the junta albergue. It was comfortable but very unwelcoming, just like Tui and Padron. I thought Arcade looked very pretty as I walked through - a nice place to stay.

We stayed in Alvear Suites in Redondela. The price is a lot higher than an albergue, but the comfort can not be compared.

I stayed in redondela in the junta albergue. It was comfortable but very unwelcoming, just like Tui and Padron. I thought Arcade looked very pretty as I walked through - a nice place to stay.
Xunta albergue Redondela
50 noisy,smelly,snorring pilgrims together in a hot bad ventilated room
When we were there last year june.
From there we decided only to sleep in pensions,hostals and hotels.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Xunta albergue Redondela
50 noisy,smelly,roncking pilgrims together in a hot bad ventilated room
When we were there last year june.
From there we decided only to sleep in pensions,hostals and hotels.

100% in agreement with you, Albertinho. I called in for a stamp at the albergue in Redondela last summer, and certainly would NOT have fancied spending the night there.

Has anyone ever stayed in the Hostal Bahia de Chapela? Just a few kilometres away, overlooking the Ría de Vigo. They say they will transport you from and back to Redondela.

Has anyone ever stayed in the Hostal Bahia de Chapela? Just a few kilometres away, overlooking the Ría de Vigo. They say they will transport you from and back to Redondela.
Don't know but a great service they offer.
I will keep it in mind for next year May. Thanks for sharing.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Don't know but a great service they offer.
I will keep it in mind for next year May. Thanks for sharing.

This is what they say (in Spanish):

Bahia de Chapela S.L., les ofrece su servicio de atención especial al Peregrino.

Siempre que se encuentren en la zona de Redondela o cercanías, les recogemos , les trasladamos a nuestro establecimento, para que puedan descansar y disfrutar de nuestro acogedor ambiente, y luego les trasladamos a su lugar de partida.

Looks pretty decent on their web-site:

http://www.bahiadechapela.com/

Bahia de Chapela S.L., les ofrece su servicio de atención especial al Peregrino.

Siempre que se encuentren en la zona de Redondela o cercanías, les recogemos , les trasladamos a nuestro establecimento, para que puedan descansar y disfrutar de nuestro acogedor ambiente, y luego les trasladamos a su lugar de partida.

Could mean that they boil your morning egg a little bit longer than usual

Siempre que se encuentren en la zona de Redondela o cercanías, les recogemos , les transladamos a nuestro establecimento, para que puedan descansar y disfrutar de nuestro acogedor ambiente, y luego les transladamos a su lugar de partida.

They pick you up in the Redondela area, and take you to their place where you can rest and enjoy the nice ambiance and the day after they take you back to where you can go on.

Sounds good . More than a boiled egg though !
I save the address. Thanks for sharing

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
We stayed in Alvear Suites in Redondela. The price is a lot higher than an albergue, but the comfort can not be compared.
I have booked here in September, hope it is a good place.

This hostal is interesting if you arrive from the coastal route,coming from Vigo.
Eventually the next day they'll take you to Redondela to continue to Pontevedra.

I have now booked at Hotel Antón, a few kilometres after Redondela, overlooking the Ría:

http://www.hotelanton.es/

They will also pick you up from Redondela (or anywhere near) and take you back the following morning.

Our plan is to walk on past Redondela and phone them from where you reach the N-550 up at the top (right by the Bar Restaurante Jumboli, if you know the route).

Great views and a great price.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
We stopped in the Hotel Casa Anton, on the main road after climbing out of Redondela and joining the main road by the Pebsión Jumboli. Great place and great people: they came to pick us up and drove us there, and the next morning they will drive you back so you don't do any 'cheating'!!!!!!

And great food, by the way!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I slept in the municipal in REdondela a couple of nights ago, and it was just the usual albergue, of course; good showers, crowded room... the usual!

The place is dank. Much too crowded, poky. Though the top floor and lounge areas are okay the general feel is of a resource that resents actual pilgrims. I found it unacceptable. Sleeping on the streets is less humiliating.

The place is dank. Much too crowded, poky. Though the top floor and lounge areas are okay the general feel is of a resource that resents actual pilgrims. I found it unacceptable. Sleeping on the streets is less humiliating.

Are you referring to the junta albergue in Redondela? I stayed here and also in the junta albergues in Tui and Padron and although they were all beautiful buildings with obviously a lot of money spent in renovating them, they were operated in a way that was totally unwelcoming. I felt that the junta was fulfilling an obligation by providing a facility but agree with you that they seemed to resent the presence of pilgrims. They were emotionally cold, uncaring places with hospitaleros who were only interested on spouting the restrictive rules and telling you what you can't do on the premises.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
How much can you really expect for a few euros or donativo?
Rules are necessary at an albergue, most reports I have heard from people staying in the albergues is that they don't get much sleep because people don't follow rules. You cannot compare official albergues with small privat albergues who get their income from beeing kind and getting a glory from peregrinos who have stayed there.
I am not quoting anyone, so do not get offended.
My point is that nobody can expect a lot from an albergue. To what other coutries can you arrive and expect to stay at cheap, nearly costless places to sleep and even get friendly attention?
Those who find the albergues too primitive can buy other accomodation.
I rather walk a shorter camino to avoid staying in most albergues, but have tried a lot of them for several years at several caminos. And it is not because the unwelcoming from the owners.

I honestly found the place perfectly ok, other than being a beautiful building from outside, I got a shower and bed and shelter for 6 euro. I do not know what you might be expecting, to me, "it does what it says in the label". It was clean. And it was as crowded as any other albergue. I would sleep in it again. What do you really expect from an albergue?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
To answer the two most recent posts, I expect a friendly welcome and a caring attitude. I have no complaints about the facilities, which were beautifully presented. But the welcome one receives on arrival after a long, hard day is all important, and readily given at almost all establishments. There is no extra cost involved in providing a smile. :)

To answer the two most recent posts, I expect a friendly welcome and a caring attitude. I have no complaints about the facilities, which were beautifully presented. But the welcome one receives on arrival after a long, hard day is all important, and readily given at almost all establishments. There is no extra cost involved in providing a smile. :)
The Dr is IN:
So Bunky, it's been a long day...got up at 07:30...hefted your pack and set off on another day of walking the Way. Since it was still dark and fewer yellow arrows, you got turned around twice, were harried by a big dog ( at least it sounded big) and accidentally slipped into an opportunity requiring a change of shorts. Now wet, smelling of ??? and the temperature rising, you finally arrive at the albergue at 12:30. Noting the sign indicates: Open 14:00 and, observing the hospitalero appears to be just walking back and forth, you are wondering why they don't just open up for gosh sake.
Unbeknownst to you and your fellow pilgrims, the hospitalero has been busy since the last pilgrim departed at 09:30 (should have been out at 08:30). A few of the chores completed: Took the mattress covers and pillow covers off many beds (pilgrims are the asked to please remove and deposit in container provided). One pillow cover was used to replace the toilet paper removed from the stalls by previous pilgrims. Such use of the pillow cover guaranteed the toilet would not only clog up, but also over flow (phew). The soap and shampoo dispensers needed filling, the previous user may have taken the opportunity to refill their travel size containers (hey, after all they paid 5 euros...you owe them those amenities, right). The kitchen stove needed cleaning due to the pasta sauce that splattered the entire top and dribbled between the cracks and into the underside. I'm sure there's something the Dr has missed, but you get the point.
So, with a albergue both clean, inviting and open "on time" the hospitalero's first pilgrim of the day offers a 100 euro bill to cover the 5 euro fee. Is it any wonder, that the next pilgrim in line is you...still wet, still stinky, got your c-pap at the ready and you also offer a 100 euro bill.
The Dr sez: be happy you are in an albergue instead of outside in the downpour and lightening.

Redondela lost my confidence when one of the bed ladders collapsed in the night. My partner was hurt. Bruised and bleeding. The staff didn't give a stuff. They were more concerned about the bed and placing blame.

Arn. You are correct to object to unrealistic expectation, but the municipal albergue in Redondela is badly run, and unwelcoming. It would be better shut or the capacity halved. I have walked sections of the Portuguese route four times in the last decade. The Redondela Alb is definitely poor. And no doubt is not what the local people think they should be or want to be paying for.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I insist; I was there just last Sunday, 4 days ago, and was served in a most friendly way by Beatriz, the hospitalera. I paid my 6 EUR and got the last bed, and a shower, and a place to sleep. Honestly: what do people expect from an albergue? It is as cramped as many other albergues. I really do not see it is badly run or find it unwelcoming. The hospitalera was telling me that a few minutes before my arrival she had offered my bed to a French pilgrim, but the French pilgrim refused to speak any other language than French and for some reason that she cannot understand he got very furious and left the place cursing. But I really had no problem with it at all.

Redondela lost my confidence when one of the bed ladders collapsed in the night. My partner was hurt. Bruised and bleeding. The staff didn't give a stuff. They were more concerned about the bed and placing blame.

Arn. You are correct to object to unrealistic expectation, but the municipal albergue in Redondela is badly run, and unwelcoming. It would be better shut or the capacity halved. I have walked sections of the Portuguese route four times in the last decade. The Redondela Alb is definitely poor. And no doubt is not what the local people think they should be or want to be paying for.
I can 't disagree with you. Just setting the table so pilgrims are aware of all that goes into maintaining an albergue municipal.
Thank you for well balanced comments.
Bom Caminho,
Arn

Most read last week in this forum

Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Bom dia dear pilgrims, I plan on returning to Portugal this summer, after walking the Salvador + Primitivo. I have a few questions: - What is the easiest way to get from SdC to Coimbra? I assume...
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...
Arriving in Valença around noon and I need to get to my hostel in Tui. I would like to conserve my energy and time, so can I take a taxi from Valença Bus station to take me to my hostel in Tui...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back