• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Question on starting in August

tjm

Time of past OR future Camino
May-June 2006; Aug-Sept 2014
I am wondering if anyone with recent experience can help me anticipate how crowed it will be in San Sebastion in two weeks. I will be arriving by train from Paris in Hendaye on the 25th. I will start and walk to San Sebastion or possibly a little further that day. I will be getting a late start. Should I arrange a hotel in San S or Ingueldo? I expect crowds.

Also, is it possible to get a sello in Hedaye? I know that it is possible to get a sello at the police station in Irun. Is that still possible?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hola

In Spain most, if not all, Tourist Informations in towns sell Credentials /'Pilgrim Passport'. I am not sure it is the same in France.
I am wondering if that is what you meant when you wrote Sello? Sello means 'stamp' in Spanish and many (many) places along the Camino it is possible to get stamps in your Credential.
All Albergues, most churches, bars, restaurants, even private people would like to stamp your Credential.
Remember that you want at least one stamp a day to document your journey.
The Tourist Information in Hedaye is :

Hendaye Tourisme
67bis Boulevard de la Mer
64700 Hendaye
France
Monday9:00 am – 7:00 pm Tuesday9:00 am – 7:00 pm Wednesday9:00 am – 7:00 pm Thursday9:00 am – 7:00 pm Friday9:00 am – 7:00 pm Saturday9:00 am – 7:00 pm Sunday10:00 am – 12:30 pm3:30 – 6:00 pm
hendaye-tourisme.fr
+33 5 59 20 00 34

The distance from Hedaye to San Sebastian is 25-28 km, so for a first day, I would not plan on going further.
Your first week, until you get to Bilbao, will be the most challenging week of your entire Camino.
To avoid injuries, you should start slow, adjusting your body to what you have in mind.., and not press yourself to much.
Also, the first week is through beautiful forest and woods, many ups and downs where many pilgrims have had second thoughts about the physical condition needed to complete the Norte.
Luckily it becomes different, and easier, after the first week.

About crowds in San Sebastian and the need to book, you may consult San Sebastian online Tourist Information or call them to ask.
The Film Festival is from 19-27 September, so it is fair to anticipate that most beds are taken, but maybe you can get lucky if you take action now :)
Personally I would expect all cheap/reasonable lodging for taken as well as the albergue may be overrun by Festival people.
Maybe some other forum member have experienced this a previous year and can advice you?
http://www.sansebastianturismo.com/en/

Check your options to alternative lodging, preferable before San Sebastian and let us know how it goes.

Also, I would recommend you to read up about camino Primitivo, as you will have that option later on your way.
Either follow the coast or go inland through mountains.
You don't have to decide now, as your body and experience will tell you what you want, once you are at the fork.

Buen Camino
Lettinggo

Thank you Lettinggo. I am going to be in San Sebastian in August, so hopefully long gone before the festival. The last week in August I assume presents its own challenges. My guess is the crowds thin as soon as September starts. My worry is that I will be late arriving after a late start on day one.

I am planning on taking the Primitivo. Thanks for the recommendation.

I was asking about the stamps, not the credential. I would like to have one from where I start walking, but won't want to lose too much time on day one.

Ultera!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...
Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back