• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

rain in sept?

Time of past OR future Camino
Either Via de la Plata or Frances
does anyone know if from merida to santiago i can expect rain in sept? would like to avoid bringing a rain jacket if possible.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
To paraphrase the song..."The rain in Spain stays mainly in Galicia." We actually walked the entire CF from SJPP to SdC from mid-August through the end of September of last year without ever putting on our raincoats (except to use as windbreakers on a few chilly mornings) until the day we walked into Santiago. Then it rained every day of the four days we stayed there. Camino veterans tell us that is very unusual to walk that long without at least some rain, however. Like Kanga said, take a poncho or a raincoat and be prepared.

Buen Camino,
Jim

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thanks Jim! sounds like you had amazing weather! rain jacket it is. i got one that is very light and folds into its hood.
Yes, we were really blessed. Of course, weather is weather...it may rain on you every day this year (I hope not).

A toss up... Windbreaker and poncho? Important to keep your backpack dry too!
A windbreaker is not the same as a rain jacket. Windbreakers are not usually made to repel rain. A rain jacket is both waterproof (within limitations) and windproof, so it can be used as windbreaker. The rain jacket vs poncho question is one of those never ending debates, like running shoes/low top hiking shoes vs high-top hiking boots. There are valid arguments for both, so it all boils down to personal preference. We chose rain jackets and rain pants because they could be used as components in an overall layering system. And yes, it is important to keep your pack dry. Some packs have a built-in rain cover, or you can buy a separate rain cover. Some people just line the inside of their pack with a plastic garbage bag to keep things dry.

Jim

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Just completed my Norte/Primitivo in June and last October i did the Frances. Rain gear is a must if you want to keep walking even when it rains. Weather is unpredictable specially around the mountain regions. I was lucky to have only 5 days of light rain at the start of Norte then had a perfect hiking weather for the entire month of June. Could not have handled the rain without my sleeveless poncho and rain pants. Rain jackets are good for short showers. For extended rain, you need a poncho that keeps air circulating. Alternative to pants would be a long/high Gaiter that will keep water from entering into your boots from the legs.

Not preparing for rain is like...... I don't know except that it sounds like asking for misery. Oh I know, not preparing for rain by carrying SOMETHING is like walking through fire expecting to NOT get burned. HA ha ha ha..... Uhhhhhhhhhhhh.....

Most read last week in this forum

Hello, First time posting but as Google hasn't been helpful I was hoping others here might be able to help with an odd query. I am considering the Via de la Plata from Seville via Sanabres as my...
I am posting daily blog style updates on Facebook that anyone can see and follow: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.8095032397178476&type=3 There are also video format stories visible on...
Hey folks. I started the Mozarabe from Almeria and took time out in Salamanca to do a 3 week Spanish course in USAL. The course was fine. 4 hours a day. For the first week we had an excellent...
Y’all, one week from today I get on the plane to fly to Sevilla. Growing anxiety. I will start El Camino on April 6. I hope to report progress here and continue to look for advice. How does...
Does anybody have any good ideas about secure carparking whilst doing the Vía de la Plata from Sevilla to Merida please?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back