• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

return to Seville from Santiago - train or bus

+@^^

i will end the vdlp at Santiago / Finisterra
and then need to return to Seville to catch my flight home
i'd thought of catching an overnight train from Finisterra/ Santiago
ideally no changes, direct to Seville
what are my possibilities
best i'd not like to be couped up on a bus
! this might induce cabin fever
i'd thought of doing a scenic route down the coast through Portugal
and taking it real slow - 2 days or so
who's been there done that
? and how best to do this

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi, tam,

If you want to take a train from Santiago to Sevilla (there are no trains in Finisterre), you will have to take a train to Madrid and from there transfer to the Atocha train station where you can get a train to Sevilla. There are fast and slow trains to Sevilla. The fastest, the AVE, takes about 2 1/2 hours from Madrid to Sevilla. An AVE line for Galicia is currently being constructed (and you will have the pleasure of being re-routed on the Vdlp to avoid construction), so I think the fastest train from Santiago is called the Talgo, leaving Santiago in the afternoon and arriving Madrid around 9 pm. That's definitely the most direct way to go by train.

The route south through Portugal will be a bit more complicated, requiring you to take a train to Vigo, transfer there to get a train to Porto, and transfer again to get to Lisbon. From Lisbon, you can go south on the train to Faro, at which point I don't know whether it's train or bus. I'm sure you can get from Lisbon to Seville, but the most direct way is a bus from Lisbon that goes through Huelva. And it takes all day and is very boring (I've done it), leaving Lisbon around 9 and arriving in Sevilla around 7 pm. Even with the change in time zone, that makes for a very long dreary day.

I have also taken the train from Porto to Lisbon and it's not on the coast, so you won't get your "scenic route" anyway. I'm not sure this answers all your questions, but it's a start. Laurie

Most read last week in this forum

I have been reading 2 different reports (on FB and instagram) about (an) agressive dog(s) just after Oseira. I'll post them here: In the group of @geraldkelly on FB (4 days ago): Hello lovely Via...
After a smooth and uneventful flight from Chicago to Madrid on Iberia, the last three days we have been doing some sightseeing in Salamanca and Zamora, and our days have been sunny, a little cool...
Hi all! Once again I am heading back to Spain; this time to walk much of the Sanabres with my son; starting in Rionegro del Puente after a few sightseeing days first in Salamanca and Zamora...
After 13 days of walking I've finished my 337km walk on the Camino Sanabres, and my entire 1400km walk from Almería. Yay! If anyone's interested in a day-by-day report, you can find it on my...
One route looks a bit steeper, one a bit longer (not much). How else are they different? Recommendations?
I left them on the trail about 4-5 k before Cea I expect to be in Santiago on April 27-28. Mu email is written on the sides of the poles (for just this eventuality). If you find them and we can...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back