• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Road transport Roncesvalles to Sarria.

Hi....my sister and I are walking sections of the Camino at the end of the month. Because of a shorter time frame we can now only do St Jean to Roncesvalles then need to get to Sarria via transport so we can walk from there through to the coast. I have been desperately trying to access bus routes/ time tables but cannot for the life of me get this info. Is there anyone who knows how to do this? I would be so very appreciative!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
St Jean to Roncesvalles is essentially done in one day - although many people choose to do 8km the first day and 17km the second day.
From Roncesvalles you will have to get a bus to Pamplona on http://www.autocaresartieda.com
From there, you can get a train to Sarria: 13h17 arrives 21h08 and costs €49

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
If you have such a short time, have you thought of climbing O'Cebreiro instead of crossing the Pyrenees? It is much closer to Sarria, and has some spectacular views as well.
Margaret

No - the train actually goes to Sarria via a change at Montforte de Limos. No need to stop at Lugo.

PAMPLONA 13.15 13.17
VITORIA/GASTEIZ 14.08 14.10
MIRANDA DE EBRO 14.31 14.32
BURGOS ROSA DE LIMA 15.23 15.25
PALENCIA 16.11 16.13
SAHAGUN 16.42 16.43
LEON 17.16 17.21
ASTORGA 17.50 17.51
BEMBIBRE 18.33 18.34
PONFERRADA 18.49 18.50
O BARCO DE VALDEORRAS 19.25 19.26
A RUA-PETIN 19.35 19.36
SAN CLODIO-QUIROGA 19.56 19.57
MONFORTE DE LEMOS 20.21 20.26
MONFORTE DE LEMOS 20.39 20.40
SARRIA 21.05 21.05

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Sil (anyone!) please give us all a tutorial on how to use the Renfe website as I cannot find this - even by entering Montforte de Limos as the starting point and Sarria as the finishing point!

:) OK. (Its actually the train from Barcelona)

On the Renfe site, under Horarios - don't enter any stations in the search blocks.
Click on Ver Todas las Estaciones underneath the search blocks.

Scroll down to the stations beginning with the letter P and click on Pamplona

A new window will open with:
Lista de Destinos Desde el Origen Solicitado PAMPLONA , usted puede viajar directamente a:

Then scroll down to the letter S and click on Sarria

The window will open to the timetable:

Origen: PAMPLONA
Destino: SARRIA
Trenes para el día: Martes 07 Agosto 2012

Tren / Recorrido Salida Llegada Duración Precios Prestaciones Accesible
99648 ENLACE 13.17 21.05 7 h. 48 min. Consultar y comprar

If you click on the train (99648) it will see that is the train from Barcelona to A Coruna.

The trip between Pamplona and Sarria requires a change over at Montforte de Limos.

I caught this train in 2009 after walking the Aragones to Pamplona. We change at Montforte to go to Lugo. The next day we travelled to el Ferrol to start the Camino Ingles.

You can also get a train from Sarria to Pamplona as well:

Trayecto 1º: MD 12644 SARRIA MONFORTE DE LEMOS 09.26 09.54
Trayecto 2º: ALVIA 00625 MONFORTE DE LEMOS PAMPLONA 10.07 17.08

Hi KiwiNomad06
We did consider what you suggested as an alternative if we couldn't figure out how to get from Roncesvalles to Sarria within our timeframe......Now with this latest info it looks like it will be "doable". I think I will go back to the drawing board to try and figure out which option would be the right one for us because we have just found out there is no available accomodation at Orrison on the night we originally hoped to stay there......
Ah but what will be will be!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Any idea if this train is still running in Aug 2014 as Renfe website is not showing any trains from Pamplona to Sarria after 14th June. I have read that they usually post the new schedule 62 days ahead of time and it is now less than 62 days to June 15.

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back