• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

SBS Programme

jl

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances('05, '07), Aragonese ('05), del Norte / Primitivo ('09), Via Tolosana (Toulouse '05), Via Podiensis (Le Puy '07), Via Lemovicensis (Troyes '09), VF ('12), Winter Camino ('13/'14) Cammino d'Assisi ('14) Jakobseweg (Leipzig - Paris '15) San Salvador/Norte ('15) Ignaciano ('16) Invierno ('16)
Just letting those of you who might not be aware of it that there is a programme on SBS on the next 2 Sat nights (8.30) called "Pilgrimage with Simon Reeves". In episode 2 (episode 1 was on last night) the journey goes to SdC and Rome - you can see the botefumeiro swinging. Episode 3 goes through Turkey to Jerusalem I think. Last nights episode dealt with pilgrimage sites in England, from Lindisfarne to Canterbury, and you should be able to view it online if you missed it. Enjoy, Janet.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thanks Janet,

Yes, episode 1 is available on SBSONDEMAND for the next 13 days.

Colin

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Just bringing this post to the top (see original post), with a note that Sat night is fast approaching, and I thought the first programme was very good. SdC and Rome are in this episode. Cheers Janet.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Can't wait Janet.I have been telling my friends about it .

Do we know if this link will work outside of Australia?

This programme is not anAustralain one, English I think. I have no doubt that it would be shown at similar stations throughout the world (SBS is an "arty / foreign films & news / doc. style station). As each programme is about an hour I would imagine that it is available on DVD, if not now, when's series ends. Janet

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
This programme is not anAustralain one, English I think. I have no doubt that it would be shown at similar stations throughout the world (SBS is an "arty / foreign films & news / doc. style station). As each programme is about an hour I would imagine that it is available on DVD, if not now, when's series ends. Janet

I understand the program was done by BBC in the UK but the link points to an Australian website that I guess is rebroadcasting it on demand.

However it looks like the website is in Australia and only works for those people in Australia ( it is trapping non Australian ISPs )

I see if the nice folks at the NSA can hack into the site for us

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Well part 2 of Simon Reeve's pilgrimage program is about to end (in Rome). Whilst he did not walk to whole way from SJPP (he did say he did not have the time to walk the 800 km/500 miles), he did start there. Also specifically visited the church/cathedral of Santo Domingo de Calzada and also stayed a hostel "St Nicholas" managed by a fraternity of monks/brothers - who perform the "foot washing" process that Jesus did at the Last Supper (anyone remember staying in this hostel/alburgue?). Surprisingly he was suitably impressed by the Cathedral of Santiago de Compostela. I think he was more impressed with the "pilgrimage" process rather than the aspect of pilgrimage! Maybe he will be converted in Jerusalem?? (I heard one Australian journalist describe Reeve as the next David Attenborough!!) As for how other regions will see this program I would expect that at some point in the next 6 months you will be able to purchase a commercial DVD copy. If it becomes available shortly I will post here.

Along the way he met with Ian Broderick, one of the people helping establishing the route to Jerusalem, and one of the very helpful folk in the group Pilgrims to Jerusalem. In Santiago he met with Nancy Frey who wrote the book "Pilgrim Stories: on and off the Road to Santiago". I noticed that both the CSJ and Alison Raju were acknowledged in the credits too.

I thought the photography showed the Meseta beautifuly, along with the Great St Bernards Pass (VF). I am very glad that when I crossed it last year the road was clear so I could walk up - I would not have done it if I had to put on the snow shoes!

From memory he talked a little in the first episode of pilgrims walking for indulgences. It was interesting that he did not refer to either the Compostela for the Camino, or the Testimonium for Rome. Though he is certainly looking at the walking pilgrim, he is also looking at broader aspects of pilgrimage and all groups of people who arrive at pilgrimage sites by other means - bus, car etc. Janet

Does anyone know where I can find the music credits for this programme? It was particularly well chosen and I'd like to download or buy it.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The albergue mentioned must be St Nicholas de Itero, by the bridge, the old chapel run by the Italian confraternity where they do a symbolic foot washing ceremony before dinner. Beautiful place, location and all by candlelight . A truly magical place to stay.

The albergue mentioned must be St Nicholas de Itero, by the bridge, the old chapel run by the Italian confraternity where they do a symbolic foot washing ceremony before dinner. Beautiful place, location and all by candlelight . A truly magical place to stay.
Ok - I found it. Its located on JB's - Stage 15 - virtually on the border of Bugos and Palencia. Interesting comments - no electricity or phone and only 12 beds, so Simon must have either been very lucky or else " made a significant donation" ???:rolleyes:

Ok - I found it. Its located on JB's - Stage 15 - virtually on the border of Bugos and Palencia. Interesting comments - no electricity or phone and only 12 beds, so Simon must have either been very lucky or else " made a significant donation" ???:rolleyes:
I was there in August but didn't stay. Me and the Italian guy I walked with was the first to arrive, we got a stamp and donated some money but decided to go further. It is a really nice albergue but the Italian was longing for a beer. This place is really in the middle of nowhere and we were a little bit to early to be sitting there for hours.

Do you know when the episode was recorded. I met a tv-team in Santiago September 4. They mounted a gopro cam on the botafumeiro. I talked with the pilgrim staring in the show as he approached me after the mass (without the cameras). I lost my notes with his name and the dates for that program.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I met a tv-team in Santiago September 4

There were references made to 2012 at one point and so one assumes that it was probably shot earlier in the year. By the look of the snow on Great St Bernards Pass I am tipping that it may have been around late May when he got there. (bearing in mind that he actually drove from Santiago) I was there just before the road opened last year at the beginning of June. I was able to walk up the road, but he walked (with snow shoes) up the path which was many meters under snow. The canola that was shown in fields in France looked about the same stage as when I walked in the area - late April / mid May. In the programme the Camino was looking reasonably green, and the crops, though with full seed heads, were not yet ready to be harvested - and so again it would not have been mid summer. I Think Sept might have been a bit late for when he was there.

We stayed there in 08 , a magical place.
There was no electricity , we never knew because JB's was give the flick on the third day.
Candle light and the peacefulness sitting outside after dinner in the middle of the meseta will never leave us.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back