• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

September 2014 Peregrinos

Joe,
Your choice of wine does you credit and would certainly solve the Boones Farm issue. However, I see a slight problem with your plan. If there is one special nugget of wisdom I have garnered from this forum, it is that one mustn't rush on the Camino. It is to be savored like your choice of fine wine. Therefore, out of consideration for you and to spare you rushing to catch me to reimburse me, I will be delighted to order the wine to be sent as you requested once you PM me your credit card number. A brilliant plan is now finely honed to perfection, n'est-ce pas?
No Boones Farm for me - and if all is good with the world, perhaps we will meet along the road/creek/path, etc. I arrive SJPdP Sept. 9 and begin Sept. 10. Walk a little slowly sometimes all you eager beavers. I want to share a pint or two

A selection of Camino Jewellery
No Boones Farm for me - and if all is good with the world, perhaps we will meet along the road/creek/path, etc. I arrive SJPdP Sept. 9 and begin Sept. 10. Walk a little slowly sometimes all you eager beavers. I want to share a pint or two
Hi, Gretchen. You are just ahead of me! If you walk slowly and I walk fast we may yet meet! Buen Camino!

Mary

Thank you musedoc! .. I appreciate that. :) .. Hopefully someone in the forum can give you advise on that swelling . Sounds to me like you might want to consider stopping at the Drs for a consultation . This could be something that needs professional advise. Sounds painfull :(
Not painful when it happened, and a Vascular Doc suggested Support socks, I've been training with a thin and thick sock hiking these mild Tennessee hills and the calf sleeve seems to work better than the support socks. Oh well, I will continue to search and hope we cross paths on the Way. Thanks again for all . Ron

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Barbara , She might consider after getting to Orission taking a cab back to St Jean and staying at a hostal for the night then getting another back up to Orission in the morning to meet you . I have heard of others doing this .
oh. that is an interesting suggestion. Not ideal, but a legitimate possibility. My spot in Orission was paid for months ago. I was wondering if I could negotiate to get my money back, in an effort to stay with my daughter, but not wanting a stressful dialogue with the shopkeepers of Orission. Or maybe someone here in the forum would like to purchase my bed from me at Orission? You think the chance of a bed opening up at Orission for my daughter is minimal at this date (September 4)? This is a lesson for me, in trusting God that he will provide.....while trying not to squander money, while balancing gracious hospitality with the needs of my fellow walking companions.

oh. that is an interesting suggestion. Not ideal, but a legitimate possibility. My spot in Orission was paid for months ago. I was wondering if I could negotiate to get my money back, in an effort to stay with my daughter, but not wanting a stressful dialogue with the shopkeepers of Orission. Or maybe someone here in the forum would like to purchase my bed from me at Orission? You think the chance of a bed opening up at Orission for my daughter is minimal at this date (September 4)? This is a lesson for me, in trusting God that he will provide.....while trying not to squander money, while balancing gracious hospitality with the needs of my fellow walking companions.
Looks like a good idea. Good luck. Actually, you are starting Sept. 4 so you are starting before me not later.
Buen Camino

Hi Fred. Would you mind moving me to departing Pamplona a day earlier on 31 August please? Wow, leaving NZ on 26 August, arriving Spain 28 August, it's getting very close!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Joe,
Your choice of wine does you credit and would certainly solve the Boones Farm issue. However, I see a slight problem with your plan. If there is one special nugget of wisdom I have garnered from this forum, it is that one mustn't rush on the Camino. It is to be savored like your choice of fine wine. Therefore, out of consideration for you and to spare you rushing to catch me to reimburse me, I will be delighted to order the wine to be sent as you requested once you PM me your credit card number. A brilliant plan is now finely honed to perfection, n'est-ce pas?

Amazing problem solving abilities Mary . I stand awestruck and dumbfounded. You drilled down to the crux of it . I shall not Sallie Forth then as you suggest but will in fact place my CC # on this thread not only for your reimbursement but for my fellow Peregrinos to partake in a toast to our success with a glass of Vino Tinto held high at my expense . One glass only please my good people . The # is 5555-6555-555 8/14 676 .

A more brilliant plan finely honed to perfection can not shine any brighter , n'est-ce pas?

updated 8/17
August 23 rd-Geoff Stewart, Allister
August 24th- zolarose asger.me
August25th -Angelo
August 26th - VATom, Pilgrim Midwife, Diegomartine
August27th - cinimod
August 28th - Agnogel, Sami Aaltonen
August29th- gimpywalker, Cambridge Pilgrim , Tez
August 30th -Smtl(+1)
August 31st -Oso, Snake , Tony Jansen, Kiwi-d(Pamplona )
September 1st - gwDelmar , me.andmyshadow, Ahaj, Skudah. OnePerfectStep
September 2nd -Denis Aldridge , Flaca005, ndrea,Purrrrple Panda , OzAnnie ( Irun), Dutch
September 3rd -Dave 2525, ColeenK, Laelia2 Leandra.Scott, Jane Erasmus, June F
September 4th –clearskies, Katies Dad (Leon), el ciervo amarillo( walking from England!) , Jason Loke , DragonflyAnnie, Barabara Teresa Bates( +1)
September 5th -Calides2014 , TrevorCC , Walsh Camino , Riyanter, Musedoc,WalkCWalk, MichaelSG (Lisboa), OTH86, David Egglestone, LiesbethSA , Linda Wentzel Hetty & Gerald van Gurp, Ward Carson, Rcamargo, nigeloz, Sheri Campbell
September 6th - Pippa, Krazykwltr, Carolina Ayala ,Sriyantna, DaleKathryn,Pawel,Basquefan1(Le Puy), September 7th -Trish McGregor , Wiglaura(+ 8) , Denisealldridge,jessica.vthhiker,Wolfdog , alian. Fr (Pomplona ), twobats(John & Tracey ,Pomplona)
September 8th
September 9th Monk Moses, taozenqi , mferrara , Valgongs,
September 10th -Gretchen Hirni, Mary Kate ( Biarritz , Norte)
September 11th-Jacquelineharris ,Jennie and her sister Linda, Cathy Mahoney
September 12th- PetiteWalker,itsJann, GerardCarey, alrushton, Ashley Benner, Rorik,Vivello
September 13th -LesBrass, Arkbuilder, Barber1586,ray jay , Christine law, Don Hoff (Astroga)
September 14th -Walking Man 06, RogerM, Cate A
September 15th -Janet Ellen, Marilyn Russell
September 16th -Jabaldo, Great Dane (Zubiri), twojay54, Janicelee
September 17th- -Zarniwoop, jessica.vthhiker, Kathleen de Montreal
September 18th
September 19th -Holly, ksam, Dennis & Lisa
September 20th -Jamie Archer, AnnieY, gidivet(Pomplona)
September 21st -Adhemar78,Griffin57(Burgos)

September 22nd –jdpigue ,Seamas O'Muireadhaigh ,
September 23rd -Silvester, CaptBuddy(Roncsvalles), gmonkey(Burgos?/Leon?), JoeNYC ,onelight ,marylynn
September 24th -Annie Little
September 25th-s4sfamily(Leon), sooh(Pomplona)
September 26th - DeadFred, Bernatchez M , organflute, Rachel_1981
September 27th - Jgun87, Kristina Wilkening, MileHighPair(2)
September 28th
September 29th- michryan
September 30th-Lockslay , Mr Smirky
Oct 1st -awakengaime

Here's some interesting Camino stats shared by Johnny Walker for the first 6 months of 2014 http://www.johnniewalker-santiago.blogspot.com/

Last edited:
Amazing problem solving abilities Mary . I stand awestruck and dumbfounded. You drilled down to the crux of it . I shall not Sallie Forth then as you suggest but will in fact place my CC # on this thread not only for your reimbursement but for my fellow Peregrinos to partake in a toast to our success with a glass of Vino Tinto held high at my expense . One glass only please my good people . The # is 5555-6555-555 8/14 676 .

A more brilliant plan finely honed to perfection can not shine any brighter , n'est-ce pas?
Oh, Joe, I "hooted" out loud! You are a generous soul whose fame shall go down in Camino history. I am sure none will take advantage of you, our good host. May I be the first to raise a glass in your honor: Sláinte!

Mary

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
If all my travel to and from works out ... I should have 40 days to spend on the trail. In the beginning I was planning all my stops along the way. I nixed that. I have made reservations for Orisson but after that I am going to let how I feel and circumstances govern how fast and where I go.
Hi Roger,
How long did you have to wait to get a response from Refuge Orisson? It is now 4 days from my initial request and have still heard nothing . I'm getting nervous.

Hi Roger,
How long did you have to wait to get a response from Refuge Orisson? It is now 4 days from my initial request and have still heard nothing . I'm getting nervous.

I made the reservation quite a few months ago. As I recall they replied back within a day or two to let me know they had to review their bookings. Then in another couple days I got the confirmation. That's my recollection. I think their phone number is published on their website. You could always call them. Good Luck to you and Buen Camino! --- Roger

Hi Roger,
Hola,
They replied after quite a few days. But they did.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I cannot find much about use of calf sleeve compression or support socks on the forum. I also haven't seen it on any packing list. What's your learned opinion. Thanks Ron
I'm taking a white pair they gave me in hospital last year. It's a long flight from the antipodies so will use them then. My niece, who is a nurse, has wobbly knees. She is going to wear some long ones under her hiking skirt.
I'm also considering buying some coloured ones to use on the Camino. This latest craze for 'Compression' wear means there is more of a selection.
Whatever, it will sure be a good test as to whether they are helpful on long walks.
Regds
Gerard

i was walking with my dad[ 63yrs old with heart issues] last yr myself and the rest of the family were insisting on us staying in orrison,so i had a room booked, we arrived early[before 11] and dad got bored and would not settle and pushed me into going onwards ,so i asked if i may cancel the beds,they said if someone else books after we left then i would be refunded,seems nobody wanted our beds so was not refunded was not really expecting to anyway?my advise would be to meet someone there and let them pay for your room.?

Barbara , She might consider after getting to Orission taking a cab back to St Jean and staying at a hostal for the night then getting another back up to Orission in the morning to meet you . I have heard of others doing this .
I am there on the 5th, maybe I could take a tent out back and your daughter could have my bunk?

I am there on the 5th, maybe I could take a tent out back and your daughter could have my bunk?
thats a very kind gesture,i always hope that what you give you should recieve,ie people get what they deserve ! if that is the case you should have a great trip.

Hi DeadFred, could you please add me to start Burgos on 21st? I 'practised', the Camino last year and got to Burgos in 14 days, so hopefully will meet up with anyone starting 12-14 days earlier? Had a delightful meeting last year with an Icelandic perigrina that I'd 'met on the forum.

Hope we all have,as good weather as last autumn, moved my completion away from Spring as my son had 35 days of rain last year , while September/October was lovely.
Buen Camino
Sarah

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I've been looking for a group for interaction of the Septmember 2014 folks and haven't had much success . Figure I would hop in here and start one , then I would get a ton of emails telling me were at least five such threads dwell . If I don't then , Welcome to the only verified , validated, Ivar approved ( I hope :) ) Camino September 2014 Topic( as of 2/6/2014) . All are welcome of course. Except for the Janurary Pilgrims .. cause something just isn't right if your going in Janurary ( Brrrrr)

Joe here , Arkansas , Heading out and up on the 26th to Orission of the Camino Francis with my wife & son . Ticketed and almost equiped . Oh Boy!.

Hi Joe, Welcome to the Forum. I'm Ros from Aus and our paths might cross later in the walk as I'll be starting from Pamplona mid Sept and plan to take it easy. The Camino seems a very social place to be - if that's what you're looking for, so I don't think you, your wife and son will be short of companionship. Enjoy your Camino.

Hope this cc# is a joke. I noticed it expires the end of August. If not, you would you mind if I prebooked hostals using this #.:rolleyes::D

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I'm taking a white pair they gave me in hospital last year. It's a long flight from the antipodies so will use them then. My niece, who is a nurse, has wobbly knees. She is going to wear some long ones under her hiking skirt.
I'm also considering buying some coloured ones to use on the Camino. This latest craze for 'Compression' wear means there is more of a selection.
Whatever, it will sure be a good test as to whether they are helpful on long walks.
Regds
Gerard
Thanks, and there certainly are more choices. I will make room for them but will take the compression sleeves so I can use my other socks. See you. Ron

Hi Everyone! I start my journey on Sept 11 from Canada. Hoping to be in SJPDP late on the 12th. Going to stay a day to recovery from the jetleg. So hoping to start walking on the 14th. Very first time travelling alone, I'm nervous and excited all at the same time. Buen Camino!!

Hi DeadFred and everyone else watching this thread, I'm an Aussie walking the Camino for the first time and will be starting from Pamploma 19th Sept. So DF please add me to your ever expanding list.
Cheers

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi Everyone! I start my journey on Sept 11 from Canada. Hoping to be in SJPDP late on the 12th. Going to stay a day to recovery from the jetleg. So hoping to start walking on the 14th. Very first time travelling alone, I'm nervous and excited all at the same time. Buen Camino!!
Hey, Garden Girl. Good for you going alone. If you want/need to go on the Camino, you can't wait for others because they may never decide to make the journey. You have to do it when you're ready and able.
Perhaps we will meet along the journey. Hope so, anyway. I leave Sept 10 from SJPdP.
Gretchen

I am there on the 5th, maybe I could take a tent out back and your daughter could have my bunk?Trevorcc,
That is very kind of you, but my reservation at Orisson is for September 4, leaving for Roncesvalle on September 5. At least that is the current plan. So there are tents out back? Available as an option? This I did not know. Would my daughter need a sleeping mat? My daughter is adventurous, perhaps she could stay in a tent at Orisson? I hope to cross paths with you on the Camino. thank you for your kind g
i was walking with my dad[ 63yrs old with heart issues] last yr myself and the rest of the family were insisting on us staying in orrison,so i had a room booked, we arrived early[before 11] and dad got bored and would not settle and pushed me into going onwards ,so i asked if i may cancel the beds,they said if someone else books after we left then i would be refunded,seems nobody wanted our beds so was not refunded was not really expecting to anyway?my advise would be to meet someone there and let them pay for your room.?
Thank you for the insight. I appreciate you sharing with me your personal experience. Perhaps I should put a sign on my back on my way to SJPP...."bed for rent, one night, Orisson"? Practical advice, but not really 'my style'. Yet I thank you for your thought. Best to you.....

Hi, Gardengirl. I am doing the same thing (2 nights in SJPP) but am one day ahead of you as I leave for Orisson on the 13th. I am staying at Beilari on the 12th and would be delighted to meet you if you would like. It's also my first time traveling alone.

Best regards,
Mary

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hello Vibrant Alive Fred, First thanks so much for keeping this thread going, keeping the calender updated, and all of your pearls of advise and humor. We are all very excited about the upcoming days and weeks. A quick question about gear. I noticed that after walking for 2 plus hours I would get a lot of lower leg swelling and venous dilation. I cannot find much about use of calf sleeve compression or support socks on the forum. I also haven't seen it on any packing list. What's your learned opinion. Thanks Ron

updated 8/17
August25th -Angelo
August27th - cinimod
August29th- gimpywalker, Cambridge Pilgrim , Tez
August 30th -Smtl(+1)
August 31st -Oso, Snake , Tony Jansen, Kiwi-d(Pamplona )
September 2nd -Denis Aldridge , Flaca005, ndrea,Purrrrple Panda , OzAnnie ( Irun), Dutch
September 4th –clearskies, Katies Dad (Leon), el ciervo amarillo( walking from England!) , Jason Loke , DragonflyAnnie, Barabara Teresa Bates( +1)
September 5th -Calides2014 , TrevorCC , Walsh Camino , Riyanter, Musedoc,WalkCWalk, MichaelSG (Lisboa), OTH86, David Egglestone, LiesbethSA , Linda Wentzel Hetty & Gerald van Gurp, Ward Carson, Rcamargo, nigeloz, Sheri Campbell
September 6th - Pippa, Krazykwltr, Carolina Ayala ,Sriyantna, DaleKathryn,Pawel,Basquefan1(Le Puy), September 7th -Trish McGregor , Wiglaura(+ 8) , Denisealldridge,jessica.vthhiker,Wolfdog , alian. Fr (Pomplona ), twobats(John & Tracey ,Pomplona)
September 8th
September 12th- PetiteWalker,itsJann, GerardCarey, alrushton, Ashley Benner, Rorik,Vivello
September 13th -LesBrass, Arkbuilder, Barber1586,ray jay , Christine law, Don Hoff (Astroga)
September 14th -Walking Man 06, RogerM, Cate A ,Gardengirl

September 18th
September 19th -Holly, ksam, Dennis & Lisa, soleprint(Pomplona)

September 23rd -Silvester, CaptBuddy(Roncsvalles), gmonkey(Burgos?/Leon?), JoeNYC ,onelight ,marylynn
September 28th
September 29th- michryan
Oct 1st -awakengaime

Here's some interesting Camino stats shared by Johnny Walker for the first 6 months of 2014 http://www.johnniewalker-santiago.blogspot.com/
Hi Fred,
Could you please add Eagle 6 for Sept 19th
I have added our names on the event Calendar. For some reason not able to view the calendar on my iPhone app. Thanks

Gard
Hi, Gardengirl. I am doing the same thing (2 nights in SJPP) but am one day ahead of you as I leave for Orisson on the 13th. I am staying at Beilari on the 12th and would be delighted to meet you if you would like. It's also my first time traveling alone.

Best regards,
Mary

Gardengirl ,, Please be a swell and remind Mary to send along my wine and to lift a glass to Laurie & I .. that would be so nice of you :)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The above is to petitewalker in reply to her post regarding my Cc# .. these iphone apps grrrrr

Hi everyone,
I'll be arriving sept 5th or 6th to SJPP. I plan to hang out for couple days to recover from jet lag and wait for my friend. Can anyone recommend a charming inexpensive hotel close to center of town? We'll be staying in Refugio's for the entire journey, but I would like recover from travel exhaustion privately first.

Cheers

Hi everyone,
I'll be arriving sept 5th or 6th to SJPP. I plan to hang out for couple days to recover from jet lag and wait for my friend. Can anyone recommend a charming inexpensive hotel close to center of town? We'll be staying in Refugio's for the entire journey, but I would like recover from travel exhaustion privately first.

Cheers

peachluck .. try this website , I use it always when traveling . TripAdvisor.com

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Tourism-...Pyrenees_Atlantiques_Aquitaine-Vacations.html

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Best regards,
Mary

That would be great to meet up!
How many days are you taking to walk? I'm sure we'll meet up more then once. ;)
Valerie

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Are any fellow Peregrinos here writing a blog?.. I'm pondering doing this . I have so many people ask if I am but not wanting to take from our experience I am considering a few notes and pictues on my facebook page now and then. Laurie absolutely will not allow me to post a pic of her on the internet so a one sided blog ( photowise) is not sitting good . I told her she will be walking into an army of photo takers and the chance of her not winding up on someones adventure posted to the world is nil ... ( she said she is sharpening her trekking pole tips) . If you are blogging please post the link so I ( us/we) can follow your progress or lack thereof . This will also help me avoid Pilgrims I owe money too for buying me wine :)

Are any fellow Peregrinos here writing a blog?.. I'm pondering doing this . I have so many people ask if I am but not wanting to take from our experience I am considering a few notes and pictues on my facebook page now and then. Laurie absolutely will not allow me to post a pic of her on the internet so a one sided blog ( photowise) is not sitting good . I told her she will be walking into an army of photo takers and the chance of her not winding up on someones adventure posted to the world is nil ... ( she said she is sharpening her trekking pole tips) . If you are blogging please post the link so I ( us/we) can follow your progress or lack thereof . This will also help me avoid Pilgrims I owe money too for buying me wine :)
Not the only person I know of who hates pictures! :) I think it's worth keeping a record of what happened and whomever I encountered, as I think that will serve as a good memory for them as well, as some sort of collective memory.

I don't want to spend my free time during the camino writing up-facebooking-emailing etc, so I plan to keep everything off the grid. Read, enjoy the people, etc, and maybe take a few notes regarding those I meet, but that's about it really. I'm not taking a "good" camera but a small one, and I plan to take pictures, both of people (with permission, of course!, unless it's from far away) and of the scenic landscapes.
Link to the blog is in my signature and my previous post :)

Pic is from 2002, St Jean to Roncesvalles, where we hit a massive amount of low clouds, for amazing mist flowing effects!

Attachments

• 13-La niebla lĂ­quida.jpg
    13-La niebla lĂ­quida.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 19
Not the only person I know of who hates pictures! :) I think it's worth keeping a record of what happened and whomever I encountered, as I think that will serve as a good memory for them as well, as some sort of collective memory.

I don't want to spend my free time during the camino writing up-facebooking-emailing etc, so I plan to keep everything off the grid. Read, enjoy the people, etc, and maybe take a few notes regarding those I meet, but that's about it really. I'm not taking a "good" camera but a small one, and I plan to take pictures, both of people (with permission, of course!, unless it's from far away) and of the scenic landscapes.
Link to the blog is in my signature and my previous post :)

Pic is from 2002, St Jean to Roncesvalles, where we hit a massive amount of low clouds, for amazing mist flowing effects!
Hola,
Yes, amazingly low clouds, never seen before.
Yes, a small modern camera can record the spectacle equally well.
You need to be there at the right place and time.
Thanks for sharing!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hola,
Yes, amazingly low clouds, never seen before.
Yes, a small modern camera can record the spectacle equally well.
You need to be there at the right time and place.
Thanks for sharing!
In those days that was all I had!

Attachments

• 15-Cortando las nubes.JPG
    15-Cortando las nubes.JPG
    83.7 KB · Views: 9
Still no one venturing out on a date ending in an "8" for the month of September! How curious.

8's are considered very lucky by the Chinese. I remember purchasing a sim card in Beijing and being told the ones with 8's in the phone number were priced much higher.

Hi Gretchen, I am also leaving SJPDP on the 10th of September. Maybe we will meet as well :)

€46,-
I've been looking for a group for interaction of the Septmember 2014 folks and haven't had much success . Figure I would hop in here and start one , then I would get a ton of emails telling me were at least five such threads dwell . If I don't then , Welcome to the only verified , validated, Ivar approved ( I hope :) ) Camino September 2014 Topic( as of 2/6/2014) . All are welcome of course. Except for the Janurary Pilgrims .. cause something just isn't right if your going in Janurary ( Brrrrr)

Joe here , Arkansas , Heading out and up on the 26th to Orission of the Camino Francis with my wife & son . Ticketed and almost equiped . Oh Boy!.

Hi Fred,
Please add me to your calendar. I'm leaving SJPDP on September 10th.

Buen Caminio!

Last Sunday night I received a Pilgrim Blessing at my Church and I thought I would share it with you. I went in my full walking gear !

Having previously spoken at Church about the Camino in general, last night I spoke about the spiritual significance of Cruz de Ferro. As I spoke, the congregation handed around a piece of rose quartz. I had invited each person to hold it, make a wish or a prayer for themselves, someone else, or the world in general. I will carry the quartz to Cruz de Ferro and leave it there with the hope that their wishes and prayers are answered. It is also my intent that the crystal will beam out unconditional love to every future pilgrim.

After I spoke the Minister gave me the following blessing:

"May the Divine Creator bless your sacred journey. We invoke the Church Angels and the Great Archangels to watch over you and to wrap their wings around you when you need upliftment. May the group heart of our Church community journey with you...when you are feeling weary may this comfort and encourage you. May the sun by day nourish you (even if you can't see it). May the stars at night inspire you. May the kindness of all your brothers and sisters on your pilgrimage lift you. Bless this sacred journey! We bless your courage, we bless your dedication. We love and honour you and may your heart be filled with spiritual rewards for your dedication. With love and safe journeying....."

I thought the blessing was particularly beautiful and that other forum members might feel inspired by it. PARTICULARLY SEPTEMBER WALKERS LIKE US !

With forum member daviddephillips permission, I then projected the Camino 500 Miles Party Youtube clip onto a screen and everyone sang the song with gusto - not once, but twice, because they loved it so much.

13 sleeps to go......

This is great! Only 4 more days until the people at the tip of @DeadFred's list start their Caminos. :) :)

updated 8/18
August25th -Angelo
August27th - cinimod
August29th- gimpywalker, Cambridge Pilgrim , Tez, Tony Jansen,
August 30th -Smtl(+1)
August 31st -Oso, Snake , Kiwi-d(Pamplona )
September 6th - Pippa, Krazykwltr, Carolina Ayala ,Sriyantna, DaleKathryn,Pawel,Basquefan1(Le Puy),
September 7th -Trish McGregor , Wiglaura(+ 8) , Denisealldridge,jessica.vthhiker,Wolfdog , alian. Fr (Pomplona ), twobats(John & Tracey ,Pomplona), Halfang

September 8th

September 18th
September 19th -Holly, ksam, Dennis & Lisa, soleprint(Pomplona), eagleak(6)

September 28th
September 29th- michryan
Oct 1st -awakengaime

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Still no one venturing out on a date ending in an "8" for the month of September! How curious.

8's are considered very lucky by the Chinese. I remember purchasing a sim card in Beijing and being told the ones with 8's in the phone number were priced much higher.
My phone number has 8 8s!

After I spoke the Minister gave me the following blessing:

"May the Divine Creator bless your sacred journey. We invoke the Church Angels and the Great Archangels to watch over you and to wrap their wings around you when you need upliftment. May the group heart of our Church community journey with you...when you are feeling weary may this comfort and encourage you. May the sun by day nourish you (even if you can't see it). May the stars at night inspire you. May the kindness of all your brothers and sisters on your pilgrimage lift you. Bless this sacred journey! We bless your courage, we bless your dedication. We love and honour you and may your heart be filled with spiritual rewards for your dedication. With love and safe journeying....."

I thought the blessing was particularly beautiful and that other forum members might feel inspired by it. PARTICULARLY SEPTEMBER WALKERS LIKE US !

I haven't been able to bring myself to look at this list for a few days... and now as I read it I'm blinking back tears.

I have had a week or two of horrible news as my friend's husband died and another good friend has been diagnosed with terminal cancer... I have a horrible feeling he may die whilst I'm walking and I feel awful not being around to support a dear friend.

Also, I've had an annoying health problem flare up and I have to get it checked - my appointment is the 5th September... one week before I walk! My doctor wont give me the OK to walk until after a positive outcome from this ... and I can't walk without my docs consent as he prescribes my medication and normally only 4 weeks at a time.

I want to feel sorry for myself but because of my friends I feel kind of churlish... but I've planned and planned for this for so long... I'm totally gutted - I HATE CANCER! I want to walk but I can't change any of this so I just have to wait and see what the next 2 weeks bring. :(

I haven't been able to bring myself to look at this list for a few days... and now as I read it I'm blinking back tears.

I have had a week or two of horrible news as my friend's husband died and another good friend has been diagnosed with terminal cancer... I have a horrible feeling he may die whilst I'm walking and I feel awful not being around to support a dear friend.

Also, I've had an annoying health problem flare up and I have to get it checked - my appointment is the 5th September... one week before I walk! My doctor wont give me the OK to walk until after a positive outcome from this ... and I can't walk without my docs consent as he prescribes my medication and normally only 4 weeks at a time.

I want to feel sorry for myself but because of my friends I feel kind of churlish... but I've planned and planned for this for so long... I'm totally gutted - I HATE CANCER! I want to walk but I can't change any of this so I just have to wait and see what the next 2 weeks bring. :(
I'm am so sad to hear the pain that you have been having and I wish you the best.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Trailjournals.com

After 3 postings a journal becomes "visible" and findable through the Camino de Santiago listings for the relevant year.
Easy to use, accepts photos and is a well run and established site for many trails, tracks and walks worldwide.

Updating daily and sharing your own journal link with family and friends allows them to check in on your adventure - a little like "self service". Your family and friends and others (guests) can contact you through this site and you receive an email about that. You may also field questions and encouragement from people you don't know who are interested in what you are doing.

Alternatively to updating daily or during your journey you can just upload a journal and photos at the end of your Camino as an "online record". Again it is public and many may read it.

It is better than Facebook as the access is open and not just restricted to your FB friends.

I have used this site on a previous hike and have just started my Camino journal, albeit just the one entry so far...

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
LesBrass,
Please know that we September Peregrinos have you in our thoughts. As JoeNYC and barber1586 have said....... time will reveal your path. We would love to see you in Sept., but if not we will think of you often and send positive thoughts to help heal your pain.
Linda

Don't be torn. Do what in your heart and soul you know you need to do. Whatever that is you will know . The Camino is and will be still here . And you will be here with it maybe sooner , maybe later , in reality your there now LesBrass .

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

some poor people seem to hit with awful events and to have them hit you all at once is terrible,, i really feel for you ,i hope the doc gives you the all clear so you can try to do the walk and maybe give your mind a much needed break.

We are two oldies (Barbara and Tony) arriving in SJPDP on the 3rd September and setting out for Orisson on the 4th at the start of our first Camino.

We will be travelling down from Yorkshire in the UK by train, from home to London then Paris and thence to Bayonne and finally to SJPDP. Although I'm over 70 and Barbara is somewhat younger, but we are hoping to be able to complete the full distance in one visit. We've only booked our journey to Spain and will travel back from wherever we manage. That may be from Pamplona, but hopefully it will be from Finisterra.

Some time ago we booked beds and meals at Orisson and had a confirmation, but does anyone know whether we should confirm that we will actually be arriving on the day we are expected?

As we, and lots of others, have booked many weeks or months in advance I suppose some people's plans can become disrupted and they never turn-up.

We are two oldies (Barbara and Tony) arriving in SJPDP on the 3rd September and setting out for Orisson on the 4th at the start of our first Camino.

We will be travelling down from Yorkshire in the UK by train, from home to London then Paris and thence to Bayonne and finally to SJPDP. Although I'm over 70 and Barbara is somewhat younger, but we are hoping to be able to complete the full distance in one visit. We've only booked our journey to Spain and will travel back from wherever we manage. That may be from Pamplona, but hopefully it will be from Finisterra.

Some time ago we booked beds and meals at Orisson and had a confirmation, but does anyone know whether we should confirm that we will actually be arriving on the day we are expected?

As we, and lots of others, have booked many weeks or months in advance I suppose some people's plans can become disrupted and they never turn-up.

Hi TonyC!

I am leaving St Jean on the same morning so I may see you.
It may be worthwhile sending Orisson an email to confirm you are on your way.
I am not staying in Orisson myself so will be making my way to Roncesvalles (hopefully) :)

Buen Camino to both you and your wife!

David

Hi to all my future Sept-Peregrino travelers. Liz here, traveling solo from California. This is my first pilgrimage and I'm excited! I plan to start from SJPdP on Sept 7th and anticipate finishing Oct 15th. One question - It sounds like many of you are staying at Refuge Orisson. I emailed, and they are booked. Does anyone know if they allow walk-ins? Or does anyone have an extra bunk? I would much rather take the Pyrenees in 2 days, rather than do it all in one shot.
In any case, I look forward to meeting everyone.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi to all my future Sept-Peregrino travelers. Liz here, traveling solo from California. This is my first pilgrimage and I'm excited! I plan to start from SJPdP on Sept 7th and anticipate finishing Oct 15th. One question - It sounds like many of you are staying at Refuge Orisson. I emailed, and they are booked. Does anyone know if they allow walk-ins? Or does anyone have an extra bunk? I would much rather take the Pyrenees in 2 days, rather than do it all in one shot.
you can take the Valcaros route I think there are places to stay there - hopefully some one will post you who has gone that way

We will be travelling down from Yorkshire in the UK by train, from home to London then Paris and thence to Bayonne and finally to SJPDP.
Doing a similar journey from Kent, so we've got Ashford nearby! Long journey!

Best of luck with your Camino.

try contacting mspath or Kanga they are on the site quite a lot and are very knowledgeable - I understand Orrisson is limited on spaces

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hi TonyC!

I am leaving St Jean on the same morning so I may see you.
It may be worthwhile sending Orisson an email to confirm you are on your way.
I am not staying in Orisson myself so will be making my way to Roncesvalles (hopefully) :)

Buen Camino to both you and your wife!

David
Hi David. I hope that we do meet-up on the 4th Sept as you seem to have lots of experience of various Camino routes and doubtless can provide us with some good advice.

I also see that you are from Dublin, Great City I was there about 2 months ago, always enjoy going there.

Buen Camino.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Gretchen, I am also leaving SJPDP on the 10th of September. Maybe we will meet as well :)
I'm spending Sept. 9 at Beilari previously known as E'Spirit de Chemin in SJPdP. You? Sept. 10 in Orisson and hopefully arrive in Roncesvalles the next night where I booked Casa Sabira for the night. The weather looks cold and I'd like to be warm and comfortable to begin with, anyway. I look forward to meeting you. Where are you living now?

I'm spending Sept. 9 at Beilari previously known as E'Spirit de Chemin in SJPdP. You? Sept. 10 in Orisson and hopefully arrive in Roncesvalles the next night where I booked Casa Sabira for the night. The weather looks cold and I'd like to be warm and comfortable to begin with, anyway. I look forward to meeting you. Where are you living now?

I'm staying at Gite Azkorria...tried getting into Beilari and Orisson but both were already booked so I'll be going all the way to Roncesvalles! I'm from Monterey, CA. Getting very excited only three weeks away!

updated 8/20
August25th -Angelo
August27th - cinimod
August 30th -Smtl(+1)
August 31st -Oso, Snake
, Kiwi-d(Pamplona )
September 4th –clearskies, Katies Dad (Leon), el ciervo amarillo( walking from England!) , Jason Loke , DragonflyAnnie & OzJacko, Barabara Teresa Bates( +1), TonyC( Tony & Barbara)
September 5th -Calides2014 , TrevorCC , Walsh Camino , Riyanter, Musedoc,WalkCWalk, MichaelSG (Lisboa), OTH86, David Egglestone, LiesbethSA
, Linda Wentzel Hetty & Gerald van Gurp, Ward Carson, Rcamargo, nigeloz, Sheri Campbell
September 6th - Pippa, Krazykwltr, Carolina Ayala ,Sriyantna, DaleKathryn,Pawel,Basquefan1(Le Puy),
September 7th -Trish McGregor , Wiglaura(+ 8) , Denisealldridge,jessica.vthhiker,Wolfdog , alian. Fr (Pomplona ), twobats(John & Tracey ,Pomplona), Halfang, Liz
September 8th
September 9th Monk Moses, taozenqi , mferrara
, Valgongs,
September 10th -Gretchen Hirni, Mary Kate ( Biarritz , Norte) , Carrollnova
September 18th- nidarosa(Astorga)
September 25th-s4sfamily(Leon), sooh(Pomplona),
Daleen Slabbert
September 28th
September 29th- michryan

Oct 1st -awakengaime

Last edited:
Don't know if I posted this here: we're spending 22 Sept. at Corazon Puro, and leaving from there the next morning.
Since I figure most of you will pass us at some point, here are photos of our mochilas.

Buen Camino, Buddy and Beth

View attachment 12229 View attachment 12230
i will be there sept. 24. maybe catch up with ya. starting the trail on sept 27th and staying in orisson.

Oh LesBrass, I am so sorry to hear your news. I have loved hearing about your preparations - your shoes, the whistle on your backpack and planned picnic on the way to Orisson. Please keep in touch. Know that all who have come in contact with you, through this forum, will be sending their best wishes and healing prayers to you. We leave from SJPP on the 5th so I promise I will ask angels to be with you as we walk upwards to Orisson. Be extra kind to yourself!

I'm staying at Gite Azkorria...tried getting into Beilari and Orisson but both were already booked so I'll be going all the way to Roncesvalles! I'm from Monterey, CA. Getting very excited only three weeks away!
You are The Woman! May you have a great journey. I'll try to find you at your Gite Azkorria Sept. 9. Will you be available anytime before dinner?
Gretchen

Dear LesBrass

I'm so sorry to hear your bad news. May I add my support and prayers for you during this time.

I did write a blog on my first Camino - the link is in my signature. I'm glad I did it but it is worth considering the following:
- Internet access is fairly ubiquitous but often slow for uploads. This can be time consuming/frustrating/impossible at times.
- Time spent blogging is time away from socialising with your camino family and friends.
- Equipment e.g. iPad takes space and weight in your pack, and extra responsibility to look after.
- If you are used to touch typing it is worth adding a bluetooth keyboard to your tablet. Typing on a touch screen can be slow in comparison.
- On the positive side: I received some very encouraging comments on my blog from friends who were following my progress. The blog is my journal of the Camino - I didn't write a paper journal.
- Some other bloggers have created wonderful posts using just their smartphone, proving it can be done.
- Some of my fellow pilgrims used Facebook and we soon developed a private facebook chat group to keep in touch. The rule for posting was: state your position, your companions and the condition or your feet!

Hi Fred,
Please add me to your calendar. I'm leaving SJPDP on September 10th.

Buen Caminio!

Didn't i just see you reply to someone in a taxi share thread that you were on the same flight as he was, the 2:45 from stansted on sept 1? :)

Hi
We have booked a one way flight for our first Camino - starting from Pamplona on 25th Sept. We are not intending to rush to get to Santiago but to savour our experience and all the challenges we may face :)
Buen Camin
Sooh
My wife and I will be a few days ahead of you but like you we to are not in a rush. We as you want to savour every experience and each moment. The best part has been the year long planning and the mental preparation. We depart SJPP on the 16, but just might spend more time in SJPP and then depart. Hope to see you along the way.
Buen Camino

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
i will be there sept. 24. maybe catch up with ya. starting the trail on sept 27th and staying in orisson.
Hey Kristina

I am staying at Corazon Puro on 9/24 as well. I assume we will also be driven to SJPP on the 25th together. Looking forward to meeting you. Buen Camino......................Michael

You are The Woman! May you have a great journey. I'll try to find you at your Gite Azkorria Sept. 9. Will you be available anytime before dinner?
Gretchen
Great I will look for you as well. We are in the same location so should be easy to meet up. No idea before dinner other than going to pickup my pilgrims passport etc that would be good time to meet if that works out.

Didn't i just see you reply to someone in a taxi share thread that you were on the same flight as he was, the 2:45 from
Didn't i just see you reply to someone in a taxi share thread that you were on the same flight as he was, the 2:45 from stansted on sept 1? :)
Ha ha yes! I'm confused... I didn't pay attention to their arrival date. Good thing someone's paying attention! I arrive 9th in SJPDP. Start Camino on 10th.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi David. I hope that we do meet-up on the 4th Sept as you seem to have lots of experience of various Camino routes and doubtless can provide us with some good advice.

I also see that you are from Dublin, Great City I was there about 2 months ago, always enjoy going there.

Buen Camino.
Hi Tony

It is a fine city, but I always encourage potential visitors to visit the west and the south coasts of Ireland.
Lots more to take in :)

Buen Camino!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hey Kristina

I am staying at Corazon Puro on 9/24 as well. I assume we will also be driven to SJPP on the 25th together. Looking forward to meeting you. Buen Camino......................Michael

The morning of the 25th, I'll be walking from Roncevalles. Make sure you wave as you drive by! :)

Hi Tony

It is a fine city, but I always encourage potential visitors to visit the west and the south coasts of Ireland.
Lots more to take in :)

Buen Camino!
I totally agree with that, I was only in Dublin for two days out of five. The rest of the time was spent in Roscommon and Galway where I was meeting up with a distant cousin whilst I was trying to fill in some more info on my family tree. My great grandfather, and all prior ancestors in my main family line, come from the west of Ireland, mainly Roscommon and Mayo. I have spent several periods exploring that wonderful area.

Great I will look for you as well. We are in the same location so should be easy to meet up. No idea before dinner other than going to pickup my pilgrims passport etc that would be good time to meet if that works out.
Guess what! I had to make other reservations due to a confusion on my part. I reserved a dorm room at your same Gite.
Let's have dinner somewhere we will enjoy. I wonder if it's possible to eat dinner at L'Esprit de Chemin? Glad you'd given me your gite.
Gretchen

Guess what! I had to make other reservations due to a confusion on my part. I reserved a dorm room at your same Gite.
Let's have dinner somewhere we will enjoy. I wonder if it's possible to eat dinner at L'Esprit de Chemin? Glad you'd given me your gite.
Gretchen
Yea sounds great!

Gretchen
I'll be there by 3:00 check in time. I''ll either wait for you there or leave a message. Good plan?

I'm getting excited with just over 5 weeks to go. :):) Seems though most of you are walking the Frances route. Is anyone out there doing a different route? Eg Portugese? Be cool to know. Buen camino to you all :p

updated 8/20
August25th -Angelo
August27th - cinimod
August 30th -Smtl(+1)
August 31st -Oso, Snake
, Kiwi-d(Pamplona )
September 4th –clearskies, Katies Dad (Leon), el ciervo amarillo( walking from England!) , Jason Loke , DragonflyAnnie & OzJacko, Barabara Teresa Bates( +1), TonyC( Tony & Barbara)
September 5th -Calides2014 , TrevorCC , Walsh Camino , Riyanter, Musedoc,WalkCWalk, MichaelSG (Lisboa), OTH86, David Egglestone, LiesbethSA
, Linda Wentzel Hetty & Gerald van Gurp, Ward Carson, Rcamargo, nigeloz, Sheri Campbell
September 7th -Trish McGregor , Wiglaura(+ 8) , Denisealldridge,jessica.vthhiker,Wolfdog , alian. Fr (Pomplona ), twobats(John & Tracey ,Pomplona), Halfang, Liz
September 8th
September 9th Monk Moses, taozenqi , mferrara
, Valgongs,
September 10th -Gretchen Hirni, Mary Kate ( Biarritz , Norte) , Carrollnova
September 18th- nidarosa(Astorga)
September 25th-s4sfamily(Leon), sooh(Pomplona),
Daleen Slabbert
September 28th
September 29th- michryan

Oct 1st -awakengaime

Please add Fran (drvnsmiln) and Kathy from Washington starting SJPP Sept 18

Gretchen
You have almost no chance getting a meal at Esprit du Chemin (now Beilari) unless you are staying there. They give preference to people booking a bed and a meal and are almost always full. I love staying there. Buen Caminos.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

Most read last week in this forum

Not sure where to place this. Something is wrong with BOOKING.COM. It has locked me out of my account both thru the app and online. I made ALL OF OUR RESERVATIONS (starting next week) thru them. I...
Hello everyone, I've been browsing this forum for a while now, and it's been incredibly helpful in planning my Camino journeys (so far, I've done VĂ©zelay, Frances, and Portuguese, and tomorrow I...
..all packed and still 24 hours before I start my journey...train to Gatwick,flight to Bilbao, bus to Pamplona the taxi with others to SPDPfor night of 23rd...so what can I do now??
Hi, we are starting from Sarria on April 28, 2024. Getting excited...
Wondering what public transit is available from Porto to Caminha.
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.