• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Shower shoes

Ahaj

I want to have only one pair of shoes for the evening. Just tried out my Mephisto sandals in the shower and they are squelching away. Not going to work to then go off town walking in. Any other ideas other than crocs for a fully supporting waterproof sandal?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I bought a cheap pair of plastic €5 flip flops at Tesco for the shower, they weighed practicaly nothing and took little space. I also took walking sandals which I used in the evenings for walking around, it was too cold and wet most of the time to use them on the trail.

I want to have only one pair of shoes for the evening. Just tried out my Mephisto sandals in the shower and they are squelching away. Not going to work to then go off town walking in. Any other ideas other than crocs for a fully supporting waterproof sandal?
Buy a cheap pair of flip flops, less then $2us at wal-mart.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Thanks, I don't really want to take three sets of shoes but think I will have to. My bag is fullish but weighing fairly light so i will get a cheap pair of flip flops.

I am still really fuzzy on the whole concept of wearing shoes in the shower. Am I the only one who is fine with bare feet? For after-the-shower, I opt for flip-flops. I have stopped using the $2 variety last summer, however, when I learned that the cheap plastic or rubber or combination thereof that they are made from melt to hot cement. Now I take my somewhat more pricy variety (Reef), which I bought for $15 on sale and take with me everywhere. They are light and take up hardly any space. Unless they die before I make it to the Camino, they will be coming with.

Last edited:
Bare feet in the shower could lead to verrucas or athlete's foot.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I took a pair of Adidas slipper sandals - like these: http://www.zappos.com/adidas-adissage-new-navy-white

They worked well in the shower and around the albergue, but not so great for wandering around town. I wear them at home all the time - in the yard, around the neighborhood - so I thought they would be fine, but they were kind of a pain to walk in for more than a block or so. Next time I would take a pair of hiking sandals for my afternoon/evening shoes and a pair of thin flip flops for the shower and albergue.

I have not problems with going barefoot generally, but I just didn't want to risk a foot fungus (or worse - I've had surgery to remove a plantar wart that I don't care to repeat) by showering barefoot.

I bought a cheap pair of plastic €5 flip flops at Tesco for the shower, they weighed practicaly nothing and took little space. I also took walking sandals which I used in the evenings for walking around, it was too cold and wet most of the time to use them on the trail.
Likewise. I'm taking some very light trail runners for a second pair, and buying cheap flip-flops when I get to Spain.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I am still really fuzzy on the whole concept of wearing shoes in the shower. Am I the only one who is fine with bare feet? For after-the-shower, I opt for flip-flops. I have stopped using the $2 variety last summer, however, when I learned that the cheap plastic or rubber or combination thereof that they are made from melt to hot cement. Now I take my somewhat more pricy variety (Reef), which I bought for $15 on sale and take with me everywhere. They are light and take up hardly any space. Unless they die before I make it to the Camino, they will be coming with.

Bare feet in shower has always worked for me too on the Camino. Never any foot issues.

I'm bringing a pair of Teva duster 2 hiking sandals. All weather sandals that work great in the shower. Still durable and breathable to walk the Camino and walk around town with.

Bare feet in shower has always worked for me too on the Camino. Never any foot issues.
I am still a Camino planner, but I have been barefoot in showers everywhere I have been, including Bolivia, Kenya, Saudi Arabia, Uganda, and here in the U.S., and in a variety of accommodations, both public (campgrounds, airport) and private (guesthouses), and have never experienced any issues, and I really can't imagine that the situation will present itself any differently in Spain.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Females can take the disposable pseudo flip flops they give you when you get a pedicure. They protect your feet from the shower basin, dry fast, and weigh almost nothing! Toss them at the end of the journey.

I just cannot imagine going barefoot into the shower. Nope, not for me. EW!!!! LOL

PS I would if I had to though

I am still a Camino planner, but I have been barefoot in showers everywhere I have been, including Bolivia, Kenya, Saudi Arabia, Uganda, and here in the U.S., and in a variety of accommodations, both public (campgrounds, airport) and private (guesthouses), and have never experienced any issues, and I really can't imagine that the situation will present itself any differently in Spain.
Hi Tammi
Stick with what has worked for you. I don't mind flip flops but I find them slippery in the shower. I prefer barefoot or mendi walkers idea of socks in the shower if it doesn't look 100% clean. Stuart m has the clue with saving on laundry too. I carry Teva sandals for my after walk pair and I might even try them out a bit on an easy section walking this coming September.

Buen Camino

If you have any open wounds, i.e. blisters, you sure wouldn't want to expose your bare feet on an albergue shower floor or the albergue floor itself for that matter, this isn't your home, these are albergues that have high foot traffic, I know they get cleaned, but they're not that clean. I think its disgusting to walk around barefoot in a communal living situation.
Foot care is important while on the Camino, shower shoes weigh nothing, bring them to avoid exposing your bare feet.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Just for clarity. Are we all talking about shower shoes or albergue shoes ? I wear sandals in albergues and to the shower, but under the water/ shower I find flip flops slippery and scary for me when showering . I have to take them off to wash my feet regardless. I like to have sandals right. 'There' to balance on when drying myself . You can wear teva s safely in shower though which I have done if it looks a bit suss . I wouldn't walk about barefoot / just in the water /shower flow.

Hi, I bought a pair of fancy flip flops for 1.45 euro in a euro shop. I used them in the shower and just continued walking around in them. How much more walking do you want to do in the evenings? I only had my walking boots for daytime.

" How much more walking do you want to do in the evenings?" The same thought had crossed my mind. Unless, of course, you're a glutton for punishment.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I thought in some places there'd be places to visit, churches to see etc. I am fairly sure the idea of a pre or post prandial stroll just for the sheer heck of it will not be a high priority!!!

Yes, definitely there is loads to see and strolls to take,especially the churches. I would soon be up and around after a little rest, depending on the day's walk undertaken.

" How much more walking do you want to do in the evenings?" The same thought had crossed my mind. Unless, of course, you're a glutton for punishment.

Actually, I do a surprising amount. Unless the village is tiny, there are always things to see, and churches and bars to visit!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Well, I have never even thought about wearing some footwear in the showers. I agree that if you have wounds on your feet, or say diabetes, then yes. The sock idea is not too bad, but then, what do you do to wash your foot :confused:. You have to take them off then, or do you not wash your feet?
I know that there are some dubiously hygienic Albergues, but most have a protocol to adhere to regarding the cleaning of the place, which obviously includes the toilets and shower facilities. ie. they are disinfected! So, you will say, what if someone using the shower just before me has something nasty? At this point, it's pot luck. ( at least for me)! Anne

At the end of a day of walking in my mesh lightweight runners, my feet are much dirtier than any albergue shower recess.....and in need of a serious scrub. I use an anti fungal cream routinely, as a preventative treatment.

I usually just stood on the clothes I'd been wearing during the walk that day and washed them at the same time as I showered. Never saw a dirty shower stall but rinsed it out first anyway. My boots were so comfortable that I was quite happy to put them back on and look around the town and village afterwards to look for the best sights and restaurants to explore once my friends were ready to go out again.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
No need for 3 pairs of shoes, get the Crocs Cleo Sandal from Amazon, no squelching in the shower and super comfy for walking around town and because it does not go between toes you can even wear socks in them if it happens to be cold. I have got several pairs to last me for years to come, in case I wear mine out. They have lasted really well though.

No need for 3 pairs of shoes, get the Crocs Cleo Sandal from Amazon, no squelching in the shower and super comfy for walking around town and because it does not go between toes you can even wear socks in them if it happens to be cold. I have got several pairs to last me for years to come, in case I wear mine out. They have lasted really well though.

Gitti, I bought a pair of Cleo too! Much lighter and practical than the more robust clogs from Crocs.

http://www.crocs.com/crocs-cleo/10043,default,pd.html

I found a pair of smarter looking Crocs than I have seen before yesterday. Having tried them on I am a total and instant convert as they are sooooo comfortable. I shall look forward to putting them on everyday. Not sure what they are called but they have the added benefit of being much lighter than my Mephisto sandals. Mephistos can sit in the wardrobe for another hike!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back