• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Sites not to miss on the Camino Frances

ilovelife

Hello everyone,

My backpack is ready to go. 16.5 pounds which I am happy to say. Flights are booked. The first few days and last night accomodations are booked.

Just waiting out the next couple of weeks until I start my trek.

I am spending my time now looking up places to see along the Camino Frances. I found out about the Templar Castle near Ponferrada which I am excited to eventually see.

Can anyone else please recommend sights along the Frances that are worth taking the time to explore?
*Sorry if this is a thread that has been created already.

Cheers,
Antonio.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Antonio,

Read or scan The Pilgrimage Road to Santiago: the complete Cultural Handbook, by David M. Gitlitz and Linda Kay Davidson to learn of a multitude of interesting places to stop along the CF. The book is available in paperback and on Kindle and can be purchased through Amazon.

One of my most favorite places is the church of Santa Maria de Eunate located close to Puente la Reina. Coming along the path and catching the first glimpse of this wonderful spot is always a thrill. The circular plan of the thousand year old structure may be based on the plan of the Holy Sepulcher in Jerusalem. All is surrounded by an octagonal cloister. Built by unknown craftsmen and set within a natural bowl the ocher sandstone walls blend into the almost sculpted nearby fields planted with corn and fennel. Here one senses the peace of eternity ....Don't miss it!

Margaret Meredith

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Leaving Triacastela you have the option of going through Samos or avoiding Samos for a shorter walk to Sarria. The monastery in Samos is incredible. I am so glad I walked a few extra kilometers and got to tour the monastery.

Ditto @mspath
Exactly the place I've been thinking about when reading OP ;)
(along with many more)

And of course - Cabo de Finisterre!!!

Ultreia!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Haha. That reminds me of the Tours route. 3 cities claim to host the head of John the Baptist. I think they were Poitiers, San Angely & Saintes.

That's where they get the phrase, "Three heads are better than one!"

Hello everyone,

My backpack is ready to go. 16.5 pounds which I am happy to say. Flights are booked. The first few days and last night accomodations are booked.

Just waiting out the next couple of weeks until I start my trek.

I am spending my time now looking up places to see along the Camino Frances. I found out about the Templar Castle near Ponferrada which I am excited to eventually see.

Can anyone else please recommend sights along the Frances that are worth taking the time to explore?
*Sorry if this is a thread that has been created already.

Cheers,
Antonio.
That Castle was one of the highlights of my walk a couple of years ago.
The castle is being restored and is truly amazing........DON"T miss the library there....... all the books are hand written and beautiful.......... i nearly missed going in as i was so tired from the days walk but the woman on the desk encouraged me to push on and check out the library.............i very rarely use the word awesome (keeping it for special experiences eg the Himalayans) This library was AWESOME!! enjoy your walk.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
That Castle was one of the highlights of my walk a couple of years ago.
The castle is being restored and is truly amazing........DON"T miss the library there....... all the books are hand written and beautiful.......... i nearly missed going in as i was so tired from the days walk but the woman on the desk encouraged me to push on and check out the library.............i very rarely use the word awesome (keeping it for special experiences eg the Himalayans) This library was AWESOME!! enjoy your walk.

I remember reading somewhere that it is not always open? Is there anywhere that has the hours that the Castle is open for public tours?

I remember reading somewhere that it is not always open? Is there anywhere that has the hours that the Castle is open for public tours?

ilovelife,

The Ponferrada castle is

Closed: Sunday afternoon and Monday

From April 1 to October 14:

open mornings (Tuesday through Sunday)
10:00 a 14:00 h.

open afternoons(Tuesday through Saturday)
16:30 a 20:30 h.

See PonferradaTurismo for more info including history

Margaret Meredith

ilovelife,

The Ponferrada castle is

Closed: Sunday afternoon and Monday

From April 1 to October 14:

open mornings (Tuesday through Sunday)
10:00 a 14:00 h.

open afternoons(Tuesday through Saturday)
16:30 a 20:30 h.

See PonferradaTurismo for more info including history

Margaret Meredith

Thank you Mspath!
I will be spending a couple of hours at the library today after my exam to browse through the book you recommended, The Pilgrimage Road to Santiago: the complete Cultural Handbook.
Thanks again!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Spend some time in Astorga, Ponferrada Castle and definitely do the detour to Samos and attend evening vespers. The main thing on the Camino is that you spend time with people. Take your time, see and smell the beauties of nature. The ribbons of poppies swaying in the breeze, the birds of prey, the amazing cloud formations, these are all sights you could miss if you rush past.

Haha. That reminds me of the Tours route. 3 cities claim to host the head of John the Baptist. I think they were Poitiers, San Angely & Saintes.

Another one of his heads is in the Residentz museum in Munich as well.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
A full day detour to San Millan de Cogolla from Najera to visit the Monasterio de Yuso and Suso is well worth it. Make it a restday in Najera and take the bus to San Millan and back.

Antonio,

Read or scan The Pilgrimage Road to Santiago: the complete Cultural Handbook, by David M. Gitlitz and Linda Kay Davidson to learn of a multitude of interesting places to stop along the CF. The book is available in paperback and on Kindle and can be purchased through Amazon.

One of my most favorite places is the church of Santa Maria de Eunate located close to Puente la Reina. Coming along the path and catching the first glimpse of this wonderful spot is always a thrill. The circular plan of the thousand year old structure may be based on the plan of the Holy Sepulcher in Jerusalem. All is surrounded by an octagonal cloister. Built by unknown craftsmen and set within a natural bowl the ocher sandstone walls blend into the almost sculpted nearby fields planted with corn and fennel. Here one senses the peace of eternity ....Don't miss it!

Margaret Meredith

Margaret!
Thank you for letting me know about this wonderful book. I spent yesterday evening at the library looking through this book. There was simply too much information to take in so I tried to focus on the tidbits that I found most interesting. I feel I will have a greater understanding of the history behind the Camino because of your recommendation.
As always, thank you.
Antonio.

Margaret!
Thank you for letting me know about this wonderful book. I spent yesterday evening at the library looking through this book. There was simply too much information to take in so I tried to focus on the tidbits that I found most interesting. I feel I will have a greater understanding of the history behind the Camino because of your recommendation.
As always, thank you.
Antonio.

I have it downloaded as a Kindle book on my smartphone. Incomparable resource.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

This book is one of the main reasons I take a tablet with me on the Camino. I read ahead on the towns the night before and it has enhanced my Camino experience tenfold.

Many of the sites that have blown my mind along the Camino have also been sites that many pilgrims walked by without a clue . The Roman Road and bridge after Ciruena had me jumping up and down; the 12th Century Baptistery Font in the church in Redecilla del Camino had me mesmerized. The Puente La Reina (bridge) took my breath away. The altar at the Church of assumption in Navarrette was an unbelievable sight. On the outskirts of Najera alongside the Camino you will find a medieval cross pole from where criminals were hanged and left as a warning to pilgrims passing by. I would had never known the historical significance of this and many sites along the Camino without Gitlitz & Davidson's book.

Buen Camino!!

There were many such sites for me. The one that comes to mind most clearly was a hermitage. I don't remember the name or where. I'm thinking it was Hermita de San Miguel. Out in an olive grove. I will post the photos. There was an altar inside. It was clean and quiet. Some of you veterans might recognize the photo and correct me if I named it wrong. DSCN1527.JPGDSCN1529.JPG

There were many such sites for me. The one that comes to mind most clearly was a hermitage. I don't remember the name or where. I'm thinking it was Hermita de San Miguel. Out in an olive grove. I will post the photos. There was an altar inside. It was clean and quiet. Some of you veterans might recognize the photo and correct me if I named it wrong. View attachment 9277View attachment 9279
I believe this is the 11th century Ermita de San Miguel Arcángel was about 100 meters off the Camino between Villatuerta and Estella.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I believe this is the 11th century Ermita de San Miguel Arcángel was about 100 meters off the Camino between Villatuerta and Estella.
yes, I believe that is correct. I was thinking it was near Estella but it's all kind of a blur. That's why I'm going back... To unblur things....

Back