• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

sleeping bag in June?

Kiwi-family

{Rachael, the Mama of the family}
Time of past OR future Camino
walking every day for the rest of my life
Do you need a sleeping bag on this route in June? I'd be carrying a silk liner, thermal underwear, fleece jacket, beanie, socks...would these be enough to keep me warm at night? If so, I'll send sleeping bags (which we will need beforehand on the Bazantes) back home with Daddy who will leave us somewhere around Burgos.
(or would we need them on the Primitivo?)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I may not be the best person to give advice for but I will be bringing a 30°f bag. I saw that liners are pretty good for June and there are apparently blankets you can get if need be where you stay. I would do the liner; however, I am planning on spending a few nights under thr stars outside so a bag will def be worth the extra weight!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I also am not an expert since my first Camino starts in 2 weeks. I am bringing a 55+ sleeping bag/liner because I intend on sleeping in shorts & t-shirt since I tend to get cold at around 3-4am, and also because I don't mind sleeping on the floor somewhere if I have to.
Thermals might be overkill, but you know your body better than anyone.

Buen Camino!

Sent from my iPad using Camino de Santiago Forum mobile app

In June I found heat more a problem than cold. A dormitory with 20 bodies in close confinement can get pretty hot, especially if your French and Spanish companions don't want windows open.

So I was sold on a 55°f bag instead of the 30° one. It was only $50 on sale from $135 and is about 1.8 lbs. If I get chilly I can always just wear more clothes to sleep like when I go camping. But then again, I'm the guy who opens the window in mid-winter because I get too hot at room temp!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The del Salvador and the Primitivo are rather "mountain caminos", and on the Salvador, you probably won't share a room with twenty bodies. On a foggy cold day in June, it still might be cold.

All depends on whether you are a "cold sleeper" or not. I am. And even in July on these roads, I was happy to have my down (lightweight) sleeping bag with me as I just cannot sleep being cold. And I used it every night.

There is not A answer to this question.

Kiwi-Family:

I would not hike w/o a sleeping bag. I agree with FatmaG. This is a very mountainous route, especially between Buiza and Pola de Lena and probably pretty cold even on a June morning.

The Albergues on the Salvador all had blankets. The Poladura Albergue does have blankets but was dirty and only had space heaters. You could only plug two devices at a time or you would blow a fuse. (By the way the fuse box is just inside the main door) If fuse blows you will have to reset, I never saw the Hospitalero after I paid 5 Euro's. This Albergue only has about a 10 gallon water heater.

I am not sure how much activity there is on this route in June but I did not see another Pilgrim during my walk (early April). There was someone 5 days ahead of me.

Ultreya,
Joe

Mea culpa, apologies folks. Did not read the heading properly, thought the question related to the Frances.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

(Soon-) Live from the Camino del Salvador - starting end of April 24. We are currently on the Camino de Invierno around 43km before reaching Santiago - from there we will catch a bus to Leon to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back