• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sleeping bag or liner?

Luka

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Next: Camino Sanabrés (May 2024)
Does anyone know if a sleeping bag is necessary in May? Are there blankets in the average albergue on the Via de la Plata?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I just used a liner in November-December, so would assume in May that'll be fine. There were blankets everywhere I stayed.

Have you tried sleeping in your sleeping bag liner at home in a chilly unheated room? Perhaps with a window opened just a crack to give a bit of a draft?

I walked the Camino Frances in the month of July (2001) with only a flannel sleeping bag liner and boy, was I cold in the middle of the night. There may be provided blankets, but is it a certainty? How much does your sleeping bag liner weight compared to an ultralight down sleeping bag from Marmot or Zpacks.com ?

Personally I like to sleep warm, with the added comfort of knowing in advance that I will sleep warm at night, so I now always travel with some sort of sleeping bag, usually my Marmot Helium.

Let us know how it goes in May and what you decide! Best of luck.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
@alansykes, wat a coincidence, I read your posts on the website of the Guardian earlier today and just now found your reply here. I will read your blog as well! Thanks for the information. This sounds like I could take the chance!

@hotelmedicis, my sleeping bag weights 1200 grams, my liner about 170, so yes, a significant difference. The thing is that I have problems sleeping in mummy sleeping bags and I haven't found a light weight blanket sleeping bag yet.

Yep, I have one quite similar, but that is a liner, isn't it?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Luka said:
@alansykes, wat a coincidence, I read your posts on the website of the Guardian earlier today and just now found your reply here. I will read your blog as well! Thanks for the information. This sounds like I could take the chance!

@hotelmedicis, my sleeping bag weights 1200 grams, my liner about 170, so yes, a significant difference. The thing is that I have problems sleeping in mummy sleeping bags and I haven't found a light weight blanket sleeping bag yet.

Your liner is not in the shape of a mummy bag?

There's a significant difference between your liner (170g) and your sleeping bag (1200g) however I don't know what your sleeping is made of or capable of. As you don't like mummy bags that option is out, so what you need is some king of down quilt that will give you lots of room to move around. Mummy bags with a full-length zipper (most Marmot bags have this) will give you this option, allowing you to unzip it all the way and just drape it over your body as you sleep. Have a look at what Zpacks are making in Florida for down quilts. Their 40 degree (+4.4 C) twin quilt (yes, TWIN!) weighs a mere 523g, that is to say, 353g more than your liner and certainly much warmer. And in twin size, you'll have plenty of room.

http://zpacks.com/quilts/twinquilt.shtml

Which is not say that this is for you. Perhaps a liner is all you need. As reports indicate that blankets are available perhaps you don't need a sleeping bag. I however wouldn't leave home without one, evean at 1.2 kgs.

@falcon, well then I prefer my 170 grams liner, I guess...

@hotelmedicis, I have a liner in 'blanket shape'. I thought of the option of using a mummy but zipping it al open. But that means I need something to cover the mattress, which will add extra weight again. Last summer I walked in France for three weeks with just a liner. It wasn't a problem. There were always blankets and sometimes I slept in chambre d'hotes or little hotels, because there was no special accomodation for pilgrims. I would prefer my sleeping bag, but the difference is about 1 kg, which is a lot!

I will take a look at a chain here in the Netherlands with very cheap stuff (Xenos). I heard that they might sell something like a 'summer sleeping bag': still lightweight, but thicker than a liner. They also have a fleece liner, which might be an option as well.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Bitter cold last April/May. Certainly needed my cosy sleeping bag plus a blanket on top......

That is pretty unusual for the time of the year, isn't it?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I walked the vdlp last May and June and there were about 4 albergues where the sleeping bag was useful. If the blankets seemed ok, I used them to avoid unpacking the compression sack. I also used it in order to sleep outdoors once and that was fun. i would definitely bring it again.

Hi,
Was pondering this issue and came to he conclusion that I would take my sleeping bag (1kg) and a liner and wait and see what happens. If the conditions are suitable for a liner I will post my sleeping bag on to a foward location for uplift and forward on again as needs be. It is not costly and 1kg down can make a lot of difference.
regards,
Arthur Loughran

You are getting loads of conflicting advice. I have used a liner silk 170gms in late Aug Sept in France. Used a sleeping bag on other trips.

My Advice stick with a LINER it will be great comfort to have small size and weight and really if it does get cold BUY a basic sleeping (I dont think you will need to).

I have done Camino Mozarabe and part of Via de La Plata this year and weather was awful so the law of averages says the weather will be great in May, be forever an Optimist, you will live happier that way.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
You'll be fine with a sheet liner....as long as you have a warm jacket....only 2 places didn't have blankets on the bed for the first third of the VdlP I've done so far and think those places would have found you something if you asked. In 2005 it seemed like only half of the Albergues on the Frances had blankets.

I walked the VdlP last year in May with just a good liner.

I only came across two albergues without blankets (I remember that Castilblanco was one), so it is definitely doable, but you might make different albergue choices and have less luck. There is also a risk of a limited blanket supply being claimed before you stop for the evening.

I'm actually walking part of the VdlP again this May, and taking a light sleeping bag (680g according to the manufacturer) this time. Make of that what you will.

I have chosen something in between in the end. I arrived in Sevilla today land I brought a 600 gr thin sleepingbag.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Luka. Can you give me the name of the store and the make of the bag? I'm conflicted as to whether to bring my down bag or buy one in Seville. How much did you pay? Thanks. I'm excited to follow you next week!

I'm not Luka, but the Decathlon one I linked above isn't expensive and listed on their site as 680g. Hoping Luka gets to reply as I want to buy mine soon and wondering if there is a better (cheaper/lighter/warmer) option.

I bought mine in the Netherlands, Annie. At Xenos for 24 euros (if I remember well).

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
We are biking the VdlP starting on 15 May and are taking our very light weight Decathlon bags. We used them last year on the Frances and found them OK, using blankets also on some occasions. You need to balance the weight carried with the use you make of them (e.g. how often will blankets not be available to supplement). If you are happy with the weight of your pack, including your sleeping bags,then go with what you know.

The last time I attempted the VDLP it was August and about 110 degrees in the shade and a liner would have sufficed. My concern now is people saying they 'froze' at night in May and June. I usually carry about 14 pounds but also remember having to carry much more water weight on the VDLP than on the Frances which is why I'm trying to decide if I need the extra 2 pounds of a sleeping bag.

I also won't walk more than 25 or so k per day so I plan on sleeping out occasionally. My main concerns are being cold and Mosquitos.

If I were biking neither probably would concern me. But I'm walking and the weight is an issue.

I have a Marmot Pounder Plus but the darned thing is in another city.

thought about cutting my down bag into a blanket but remembered the $450 price and reconsidered. Lol. Anyway, I'll figure it out. Thanks all.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Well, another "momentous" decision made.
I usually travel with a liner and rely on an abundance of blankets (even if on the dusty n dirty side).
I just bought a Roman Palm sleeping bag, however, and feel relieved that I now have my own bed, so to speak. Yes, super compact and weighs .9 kg. Perhaps on the heavier side for some of you, but I don't enjoy feeling cold at night and my pack will still be under 10 kilos...

Given the deep freeze that rolled into Spain during the past few days, a sleeping bag along with blankets is necessary if you do not want to freeze at night

Agree. A lot of people were complaining about the cold last night and the albergue in Castilblanco only had 3 blankets...

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Today I bit the bullet. I took the heavy zipper out if my down sleeping bag. I cut off the hood and hemmed the top. It now weighs 1.5 pounds and will be warm as toast. It was difficult to make the first cut but I'm happy I did it.

It's hard to imagine setting off on a journey of 1,000 kilometers and not carrying at least a lightweight sleeping bag. Sleep is no less important than food. Today's bags with upwards of 800 or 900 down fill-power can be incredibly warm as well as light. As I've written before, I've spent many cold nights in the middle of summer in Spain because my fleece sleeping bag liner was not warm enough. The difference in weight between a liner and a lightweight bag could be as little as 300 grams.
Sweet dreams everyone!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I am looking for my next Camino and like the look of this one starting in Seville. I am a solitary individual and comfortable with my own company. My last one was the camino Madrid which was...
I am posting daily blog style updates on Facebook that anyone can see and follow: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.8095032397178476&type=3 There are also video format stories visible on...
Hello, First time posting but as Google hasn't been helpful I was hoping others here might be able to help with an odd query. I am considering the Via de la Plata from Seville via Sanabres as my...
Hey folks. I started the Mozarabe from Almeria and took time out in Salamanca to do a 3 week Spanish course in USAL. The course was fine. 4 hours a day. For the first week we had an excellent...
Y’all, one week from today I get on the plane to fly to Sevilla. Growing anxiety. I will start El Camino on April 6. I hope to report progress here and continue to look for advice. How does...
Does anybody have any good ideas about secure carparking whilst doing the Vía de la Plata from Sevilla to Merida please?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.