• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

sleeping bags-necesario ?

brkdn2

Time of past OR future Camino
camino francais, (2014 Aug.)
In the milder months(May-June) (Aug-Sept) do you think you could do without a sleeping bag? I've read the benefits of mattress covers and have a sturdy blanket in mind, that way I can get them washed without worry of drying or ruin. should I add a sb liner as well. I'm warmblooded to begin with I could just put on an extra shirt.
do albugues have a bag no bag or liner preference? just things I wonder as I walk the way in my head.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
You need something in albergues, either a sleeping bag, sleeping bag liner, or linens. To keep weight down, consider a silk liner. Virtually all albergues have blankets in case it gets cool.

I sent my bag onto Santiago after a week on the Camino. I used a silk liner in September/October. The albergues I stayed at all had blankets. Saved weight and worked just fine!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I have just received my silk liner from a company called Little Vietnam on eBay, included shipping it cost under ₤10.00

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Anyone who believes that all albergues have blankets could be in for a cold night.
There are several albergues who provide nothing but a disposable sheet.

Some of the coldest places do NOT provide blankets, including Roncesvalles.
I was told in one place where we were all freezing that "pilgrims should come prepared!

Also remember most sheets are NOT washed more than once a week, so you are sleeping on sheets that several other people have used. At least a liner is suggested.

I have read that we should bring our own Permitherin treated sheet and pillow case, mainly to deal with the potential bed bug problem but also for cleanliness. I am trying desperately to trim down my pack weight and would really like to ditch this weight (20 oz). Thoughts?

I have a silk liner, less than two oz, which includes a pillow hood and always carry a sleeping bag, two-season, weighs 18oz. Left Coaster your liner seems very heavy (?). I treat liner and bag with Permethrin before departure. I've never had a bug problem but it might be that my snoring keeps them at bay.

Many Albergues these days provide a disposable sheet and pillow case, though these provide no bug protection they do help to separate you from previous pilgrims.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hola Tincatinker;

I have a silk liner as well, the bed sheet and pillow case are intended to keep some protection between my bag/liner and my head and the well used mattress and pillow. I will be starting my Camino on April 25th and assume I am at the early point in the season so things should not be as well used, at least in the beginning. I am leaning to ditch the sheet and pillow case.

You don't need the pillow case and sheet. The sleeping bag and silk liner is more than enough, especially if the liner has the built in pillow case.

Anyone who believes that all albergues have blankets could be in for a cold night.
There are several albergues who provide nothing but a disposable sheet.

Some of the coldest places do NOT provide blankets, including Roncesvalles.
I was told in one place where we were all freezing that "pilgrims should come prepared!

Also remember most sheets are NOT washed more than once a week, so you are sleeping on sheets that several other people have used. At least a liner is suggested.

Not all Albergues provide blankets. Some might have a few, but not for everyone.
Very few Albergues provide disposable sheets, these are mainly in Galicia.
Some sheets are left on mattresses for ages and look awful.
Occasionally you might find a mattress without any cover/sheet
Once I turned the mattress over to see if it looked better on the other side.
Once I removed the covering sheet because it looked disgusting..
Blankets aren't washed very frequently ( immagine the cost ).

Of course,there are also spotless, well cared for Albergues, but don't hope for this privilege everywhere. Anne

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I have read that we should bring our own Permitherin treated sheet and pillow case, mainly to deal with the potential bed bug problem but also for cleanliness. I am trying desperately to trim down my pack weight and would really like to ditch this weight (20 oz). Thoughts?

I don't think Permitherin helps with cleanliness! Anne

In the milder months(May-June) (Aug-Sept) do you think you could do without a sleeping bag? I've read the benefits of mattress covers and have a sturdy blanket in mind, that way I can get them washed without worry of drying or ruin. should I add a sb liner as well. I'm warmblooded to begin with I could just put on an extra shirt.
do albugues have a bag no bag or liner preference? just things I wonder as I walk the way in my head.
Just want to reiterate what some others have said: a SB liner should be just fine for the months you have in mind. I would forgo the blanket and the mattress cover. I walked the CF in April 2-May 5 and carried only a silk liner. I'm planning to walk the CP this September and will carry the same liner, sans sleeping bag. Your back, shoulders, knees, legs etc. will thank you for not carrying the extra weight of a sleeping bag. Most albergues on the CF provide blankets - if you don't see them on the beds, you should ask for them. Sometimes the albergues run out of blankets (one reason to arrive early!!) and sometimes blankets are kept in a corner or in a different room. One benefit of walking early in the season is the fact that most things are cleaner than later in the year. FYI: I was lucky and never encountered bedbugs in over a month of staying in albergues.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
There are several albergues who provide nothing but a disposable sheet.I was told in one place where we were all freezing that "pilgrims should come prepared!Also remember most sheets are NOT washed more than once a week, so you are sleeping on sheets that several other people have used. At least a liner is suggested.
Well, Annie, I've stayed in some albergues where there was just a pile of foam matresses stacked against the wall :(
Having said that, you'll probably be OK June to September with just a liner - if you get cold, sleep in tomorrow's clothes and you should be all right!
I shall PROBABLY just take a liner in May ... but I may chicken out and take the bag!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Well, Annie, I've stayed in some albergues where there was just a pile of foam matresses stacked against the wall :(
Having said that, you'll probably be OK June to September with just a liner - if you get cold, sleep in tomorrow's clothes and you should be all right!
I shall PROBABLY just take a liner in May ... but I may chicken out and take the bag!

I feel the same ........ I want to just take the liner but will probably chicken out and take the sleeping bag! I'm walking Sept 9th thru Oct 18th. Decisions decisions!

I've always made my camino in November and December and never carried a sleeping bag, just a silk liner. Once or twice it was cold enough to have to sleep in a few layers of clothes, but there were blankets when I needed them. The albergue at the monastery of Oseira in December was a bit parky, but Fray Luiz kindly put me in the little cabin-like room by the entrance to the barn so, with plenty of blankets as well, it was fine.

It's the bulk more than the weight of the sleeping bag that I'm glad not to have in my rucksack.

I think you'll want a sleeping bag but the lightest one you can find. I don't think a silk liner will be enough if the weather turns colder than normal (which is always a possibility). But I carried a 3-season bag in October and it was way too warm. Don't count on blankets at all the albergues.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi, I wrote about this matter on the 'blankets in albergues' thread, a few minutes ago. I see others agree with me here--and of course others disagree.

on my previous two caminos (august/september and june) i have just taken a silk sleeping bag liner. on the odd night I was cold i supplemented it with a fleece or a blanket which most albergues seem to have. I will be doing the same again in July this year. I'm not really warm-blooded so if I can survive I reckon you will be fine. buen camino.

We are walking in June - my husband and I are both taking silk liners, no sleeping bags. I am taking a pair of silk long johns as an underlayer if the weather turns cold, so I figure if the silk liner isn't enough, I will just sleep in the long johns.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I walked from SJPP to Santiago from May 11 to June 15 last year. I went with a sleeping bag liner and ended up purchasing a sleeping bag in Pamplona. It was unseasonably cold and wet and I used the sleeping bag the whole trip. And on really cold nights I slept in silk long johns and undershirt and even more clothes on a few nights. I heard that in 2012 May -June there was a heat wave. No way to predict what the weather will be, but I suggest the sleeping bad. You can't get a good rest when you are cold.

I did the Camino last summer (July/August) and did not have a sleeping bag with me or even a sleeping bag liner. If I were to do it again in the warmer months I would definitely pack with me an ultra-light sleeping bag or one of those micro-fleece sleeping bag liners. I have researched it and it seems there is not much weight/size difference between the liners and the ultra-light sleeping bags (which compress quite small), so I would probably go with the bag. Not all the albergues I stayed in had blankets, and a couple of nights I got kinda cold. I know North Face makes one for warmer weather that stuffs in a 7"x 10" sack and weighs 1 1/2 pounds. That's pretty small and light.

CaminoKris - Thank-you for the recommendation for the silk liner - I have just placed my order in anticipation of our upcoming Camino :) I had checked out the liners at REI, but they were 2-3 times the price and the reviews were not great. Several people mentioned a decrease in quality for the REI silk liners over the years and I didn't want to pay that much for something of questionable quality.

We are tossing around the idea of a trip to SE Asia next year, which would include some time in some jungly areas, staying in national park and village lodging, so I suspect that the silk liner will come in handy there as well.

Buen camino!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Do you sleep cold at night and like to snuggle under the duvet? Bring a sleeping bag, open it and use it as a blanket if it's hot.
Do you sleep warm and throw the covers off? Bring a silk bag and wool layers and hope they have a blanket if you need it.

Personally I sleep cold, at least if I have had a bit of sun during the day. Still I bravely brought a silk liner only from StJPdP and had to buy a light summer sleeping bag in Burgos. But even with the silk bag inside the sleeping bag, wearing everything I had and with a fleece hat and a blanket over me, I couldn't sleep for freezing in Portomarin. You might be okay - we are all different. But give it some thought and be prepared.

The way I see it, if I am walking for 8 hours every day, I want the best possible shoes. If I'm going to recharge my batteries for 8 hours every night, I want to have the best possible sleep. (In the remaining 8 hours I only ask for good company, drinkable wine and pray for hot water.) So I will bring my new, slightly bigger, slightly heavier and gorgeously snuggly sleeping bag next time.

In short: I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Last edited:
I did the Camino last summer (July/August) and did not have a sleeping bag with me or even a sleeping bag liner. .Not all the albergues I stayed in had blankets, and a couple of nights I got kinda cold. .
Please everyone remember, that for hygienic reasons, you should never sleep directly on top of whatever is provided by the Albergue as a mattress cover. This is not only for your own personal hygiene, but also out if consideration of all your fellow Pilgrims.
Personally, I think it very yucky to cover myself with a blanket that who knows how many people have used before, without having something ( sleeping bag, sleeping bag liner or sheet) to come between me and the blanket. The same thought for sleeping without any protective layer, between myself and the mattress. Anne

Please everyone remember, that for hygienic reasons, you should never sleep directly on top of whatever is provided by the Albergue as a mattress cover. This is not only for your own personal hygiene, but also out if consideration of all your fellow Pilgrims.
Personally, I think it very yucky to cover myself with a blanket that who knows how many people have used before, without having something ( sleeping bag, sleeping bag liner or sheet) to come between me and the blanket. The same thought for sleeping without any protective layer, between myself and the mattress. Anne

I dunno, the blankets I used looked clean, smelled clean, so I figured what the heck, I'm cold.

I've slept on a lot of worse things before, ha ha.
;)

Yes, this makes complete sense. Even for those who aren't bothered by the conditions of the blankets and mattress covers themselves, the next occupant probably would prefer not to snuggle up with the leftover drool, sweat, and whatever else from the previous night's occupant.

I dunno, the blankets I used looked clean, smelled clean, so I figured what the heck, I'm cold.

I've slept on a lot of worse things before, ha ha.
;)
With all due respect, you might have figured "what the heck" but unfortunately it isn-t a very good attitude, especially where hygiene is concerned. Hospitaleros do not wash blankets on a daily basis. Can you imagine the expense, not to mention the time consumed in that activity? Anne

For me, my 600grm, 2 season sleeping bag is the first thing I pack, for warmth, comfort& a little protection against the dreaded chinches....a bout with the blighters in Viana in 2010 has left me wary to say the least....
Plus I love the option of an outdoor, stargazing sleep....whether that be in the albergue courtyard/ garden or church porch...
I am warm blooded too, but pack super light with everything else so my night time preferences are accommodated!!
The escape from snoring & the claustrophobic dorms make this a viable alternative;-))

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
For me, my 600grm, 2 season sleeping bag is the first thing I pack, for warmth, comfort& a little protection against the dreaded chinches....a bout with the blighters in Viana in 2010 has left me wary to say the least....
Plus I love the option of an outdoor, stargazing sleep....whether that be in the albergue courtyard/ garden or church porch...
I am warm blooded too, but pack super light with everything else so my night time preferences are accommodated!!
The escape from snoring & the claustrophobic dorms make this a viable alternative;-))
Ive decided on a mummy bag myself . Being able to keep my camera and things of importance at my feet will help me sleep like a baby plus if the chance arises for a night under the stars I'm ready.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.