• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

sleeping in colmenar

duds

This is a repeat...to find chabeli find your way to the ayutamiento "town hall" from there it is just close by up a little street,however when i was there the shopkeeper next door informed me that she did,nt live there, so after a lot of messing about i was directed up through the town to calle nicaragua number 1,where i located the dear lady who gave me a very basic room with shower for 20 euros.
Laurie if you get in touch will let you know my experience in Manzanares

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi, DUDS,

This is a repeat response. I think that people walking the Camino de Madrid maybe should just walk straight to the Calle Nicaragua number 1 and find the Pensión Chabeli, which is definitely NOT located in the building where its sign prominently sits.

The alternative, which I took, is the Hostal Chiscon, a nice enough place where a single room was about 45 €.

I´ve sent you a PM, DUDS, but I hope you will continue to post to the board generally, because I know there are several people planning to walk this wonderful Camino soon!

Buen camino, Laurie

Hi Laurie,first of all a confession i ended my walk in Manzanares,i had just spent my last 3 days walking in non stop rain,and found the strech from colemenar quite trying being a smart alec i thought well it,s only walking. having said that even with my aching legs etc. i still loved it and will return begining in september a wiser man,and ofcourse i will get a bit of training in.
The albergue,yes i did stay there quite an amazing place,20 min after going to my bed a dozen or so hikers arrived and went to bed, no problem there,however as i left first in the morning and in heavy snow i was shocked to see that they had tied a little collie dog out in the cold, but what made it worse was that they had 3 cars,so why could they not have put the poor wee soul in a car for the night.
One more thing arriving at my first cafe in Manzanares looking pretty done in people kept asking me what age i was, boosting my ego with looks of admiration,im such a sucker for a bit flattery.
Okay Laurie that,s me up to date for.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Good to hear from you, Duds,

Three days of non-stop rain would be painful! In my 12 years of walking caminos, I have never had that bad luck (Ok, now I´m sure that my camino starting on May 25 of this year is doomed!).

I wish you the best in your return to the Camino de Madrid, though there have been some people on this forum who didn´t like the Camino de Madrid, I personally thought it was a wonderful route. Though it was pretty flat (except for the walk over to Segovia), I was able to offset that flatness by continuing on the Camino de Invierno, where ups and downs are a daily feature.

Buen camino, Laurie

Most read last week in this forum

Hello I am in the planning phase of the Camino de Madrid. Hoping to start walking in late May. The Confraternity of James' guidebook in out of print and no longer available, so I have been basing...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.