• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Smartphones, ugh!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diefenbaker

Time of past OR future Camino
2010 SJPdP to Finesterre
SJPdP or Hendaye Via Camino Vasco and CF to SdC 2016
Paris to SDC 2018
Hi,
When I look around the staff room at work or see people as I walk along the streets, everyone seems to be on their phones, either talking, reading, watching or writing something. I'm sure it wasn't as bad as this even a couple of years ago. I know when I walked the Camino 4 years ago a pilgrim remarked how nice it was that he hadn't seen anyone using their phones as they walked and he was right but I hadn't really noticed then. Obviously many people phoned their loved ones once they were settled in for the day and I did hear quite a few Spanish pilgrims shouting excitedly down their phones to tell their friends they were on the Camino as we passed Sarria. But other than that there were no phones ringing, sounds of drunken men on Facebook videos or embarrassing phone calls to over hear as I walked back then, whereas back 'in the real world' that's the main noise that follows me around when I'm out and about.
Please tell me the Camino hasn't gone the same way and that people still talk to each other as they walk or when they've stopped and are sitting at a restaurant or in the Albergues.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Coming from a different point of view, I'm actually writing a guide on how to do the camino in this day and age, using the most of the technology we have. I won't be using it to watch those embarrassing Facebook videos, but I will be commenting on apps to use, ways to communicate, when to use technology, when to not, among other things. Hopefully I will not annoy you along the camino!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
That's reassuring. I saw a photo yesterday taken outside an Albergue with several pilgrims talking to each other and I suddenly imagined how it would look if the people from work were in that photo; each of them standing alone reading something on their phone or watching Facebook videos or talking close by so their conversations could clearly be heard, especially if they were arguing and wondered if that was how the Camino was going. I totally get their use for navigation or sorting out a situation at home whilst walking and for updating blogs and saying hello to friends and family once settled in for the day but it just seems every where I look at work (And even during work time itself) and going to and from work people seem to be engrossed in their phones and ignoring everyone around them. I enjoyed the social aspect of the Camino a lot and would hate to imagine pilgrims sitting at a restaurant ignoring each other because someone's posted another amusing video of someone falling over on Facebook.

I was looking forward to not taking my smartphone and just taking a basic phone to be used for occasional texts/calls
home to loved ones. However I am now wondering if it's worth taking it as it may come in more handy for emergencies, especially with the GPS functionality?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I was looking forward to not taking my smartphone and just taking a basic phone to be used for occasional texts/calls
home to loved ones. However I am now wondering if it's worth taking it as it may come in more handy for emergencies, especially with the GPS functionality?
No need for a GPS. Path is well marked....at least it is on the Camino Frances and Norte. I brought my smartphone for the camera purpose and an occasional email to family and friends with a picture attached. Never made a call on it.

If you are one of those pilgrims who insist on setting out before the sun gets up (and waking half the albergue with your flashing headlamp urgh!) or one who persists to finish 35 kilometers even if it is dark out side, you may and thats a big may, you may need a GPS in the dark, otherwise don't bother it will only confuse. Only several years ago every albergue and many cafe/bars had coin operated computers, nothing hi-tech they worked with bicycle pedals (not really) but were good enough. Smartphones are fine if you are in to that sort of thing, expensive and worth more then everything else you will be carrying, and might just attract unwanted attention. Bring a dumbphone SMS texts home to let them know the Spanish bears haven't eaten you and the occaisional call, surely more then enough

If you are one of those pilgrims who insist on setting out before the sun gets up (and waking half the albergue with your flashing headlamp urgh!) or one who persists to finish 35 kilometers even if it is dark out side, you may and thats a big may, you may need a GPS in the dark, otherwise don't bother it will only confuse. Only several years ago every albergue and many cafe/bars had coin operated computers, nothing hi-tech they worked with bicycle pedals (not really) but were good enough. Smartphones are fine if you are in to that sort of thing, expensive and worth more then everything else you will be carrying, and might just attract unwanted attention. Bring a dumbphone SMS texts home to let them know the Spanish bears haven't eaten you and the occaisional call, surely more then enough
Just wondering: What is the logic of pursuing the "purity" of not carrying your smartphone whilst still wanting to connect to the world by means of (mostly outdated, slow and unsafe) PC's in internet cafes and albergues?
I've said it before on this forum:
Smartphones have become parts of our life and are a blessing if used diligently. they replace maps, dictionary, flashlight, camera, video-corder, compass, altimeter, printed tickets, tourist guides, notebook, pencil, wristwatch, weather station, give geographic position, walking distance, provide music, news, lists of albergues, hostals and restaurants; and last, not least let you write and send a daily blog to an interested audience back home....but most importantly: they give you peace of mind in the event of an emergency situation. Think of it as a practical, modern "Swiss Army knife" saving a lot of weight.
I absolutely respect a pilgrim's decision to shun all amenities and to walk the Camino in total frugality but cannot help to side with those enjoying good food, good wine, comfortable beds and an iPhone in the pocket. The accomplishment of reaching Santiago is equal to all peregrinos.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Alas, I admit everything, yes I am a dinosaur, Scruffisaurus Barbamentum, unconvinced.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Bring an ancient phone instead of a smartphone, so you wont use all the great smartphone functions? Yes, you could do that, orrrrr just don't use the smartphone functions. I guess the camino is offering you a free test of willpower here.

Why all these weird obsession with or better yet, againts modern tech here. And why all the judgement againts people who do like to bring and use it? Live and let live. If you dont want to bring it, fine, but don't go judgimg people that do.
Its part of our lives, its what makes sooo many things alot easier.
I have never read any post from somebody that said...oooehh, so annoying, i just past a group of pilgrims and non of them, not a single one, was using or even carrying a phone or ipad. What is wrong with them?

Maybe you have other things that annoy people.
Maybe you smoke and blow your disgusting fumes in somebody elses face. Knowing or unknowingly, whem somebody is walking behind you and your sig. Thats annoying.
Maybe you walk around with walking poles in the city and have bad or no rubber tips on them. Click click click for miles on end. Thats annoying!
Maybe you smell of sweat because you forgot to bring deodorant, ot just didnt bring it because it weight 100grams, but you still want to sit next to other people when eating, drinking ect... Thats annoying.
Maybe.......... (Just fill in the blanks)

See? Maybe you are not holier then a person that IS carrying a smartphone or an ipad or ereader or......

Moi?
Have an iPhone, but very very seldom use it for phone calls; i.e. only in case of emergency.
But do have all the phone numbers on it for the accommodation I hope to stay in.
In addition I use it as a camera
Also have iPad mini which will have all the relevant bits of Brierley and MMD on it and will be used to dictate to and, perhaps, sketch on.
Both of the above for WiFi access to the cloud where all that info is stored.
Also will have print outs of all that info
Am an architect by training so will have sketchpad and pencils.

The difference I've noticed this time from 3 years ago is that everyone is looking for plugs to charge their smart phones at night in the albergues. I used mine all day as a camera mainly. And sometimes referred to maps.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Just wondering: What is the logic of pursuing the "purity" of not carrying your smartphone whilst still wanting to connect to the world by means of (mostly outdated, slow and unsafe) PC's in internet cafes and albergues?
Smartphones have become parts of our life and are a blessing if used diligently. they replace maps, dictionary, flashlight, camera, video-corder, compass, altimeter, printed tickets, tourist guides, notebook, pencil, wristwatch, weather station, give geographic position, walking distance, provide music, news, lists of albergues, hostals and restaurants; and last, not least let you write and send a daily blog to an interested audience back home....but most importantly: they give you peace of mind in the event of an emergency situation. Think of it as a practical, modern "Swiss Army knife" saving a lot of weight.
I absolutely respect a pilgrim's decision to shun all amenities and to walk the Camino in total frugality but cannot help to side with those enjoying good food, good wine, comfortable beds and an iPhone in the pocket. The accomplishment of reaching Santiago is equal to all peregrinos.
Put perfectly pano

I SO agree Pano! Time and tools changes! We don't walk in the same type of clothes and shoes that they did a 100 years ago either! I will bring mine for the convenience of having all the tools you mention at hand....just in case and IF I need them and want to use them, and save a lot of weight in my pack! Anything else would be stupid! I do NOT plan to make calls, send a lot of mails or be online all the time, that is not an adiction to me and not why I go walking the Camino. But WHY would I NOT bring it???...when I can! ;)

Alas, I admit everything, yes I am a dinosaur, Scruffisaurus Barbamentum, unconvinced.
Me too, Scruffy: Metropollaurus Nonbarbamentum. Until this week. I hate the things, but on the last couple of caminos every difficulty I encountered - credit card cancelled, lost in a forest, birthdays forgotten and gifts not sent - people would say 'you can do it on your smartphone'. Everyone had one, and many had those tablets too, top-of-the-range, way-out expensive models. And then they insisted on the cheapest albergues and the menu peregrino. But I digress...
When the old 18th-century Nokia finally conked out this week I finally took the plunge and got the cheapest possible, won't-hurt-if-I-break-it smartphone, and now I see why people are so dependent on them. It is going to make my next camino an absolute doddle - IF I remember not to use it in the pouring rain

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Metropolly we must really be dinosaurs, haven't met anyone who could understand a joke in Latin in years!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I SO agree Pano! Time and tools changes! We don't walk in the same type of clothes and shoes that they did a 100 years ago either! I will bring mine for the convenience of having all the tools you mention at hand....just in case and IF I need them and want to use them, and save a lot of weight in my pack! Anything else would be stupid! I do NOT plan to make calls, send a lot of mails or be online all the time, that is not an adiction to me and not why I go walking the Camino. But WHY would I NOT bring it???...when I can! ;)
Hey Ulla, I checked out your website and songs, I like it! When are you going to write and sing a song about the Camino? Wait...I see that you still have yours ahead of you, so get the experience first and produce a whole album, I'll be your fan.

We don't walk in the same type of clothes and shoes that they did a 100 years ago either! I will bring mine for the convenience of having all the tools you mention at hand....just in case and IF I need them and want to use them, and save a lot of weight in my pack! But WHY would I NOT bring it???
But then you would be walking the Camino differently from me so that my life spins out of control.;)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Metropolly we must really be dinosaurs, haven't met anyone who could understand a joke in Latin in years!
I don't exactly understand Latin, as I never studied it (if only...), but a childhood of Sunday Catholic masses sung in that language have left a sort of brain residue, so I can take the odd lucky guess!

In 100 years what will future pilgrims look like? What will they be carrying in the way of "smart anything". If one stops and think about the first pilgrim he was most likely without shoes, without a comfortable bed, without albergue to stay in and certainly without a well marked road to follow.
He truly traveled on his own guidance. So having modern tools to help can not be all that bad. As written many times on this forum it is you Camino to walk, bike or run. Your to do as you see fit.
Buen Camino to All.

Agree with others, well said Pano!
I'm later in most to embrace modern technology, but once I have I enjoy what it provides.
I had never texted until two years ago, and only in the past 6 months is it something I do often.
I need help from the kids to get the darn tv on with three different remotes to do so (ughhh)...

I was walking one day on the Norte , by myself thru the woods and hear a big sound out of my backpack.
It caught me off guard...I threw off my pack undid the straps to find my Ipad making all kinds of noises.
It was my precious children Skyping me. I was in the woods...no one around and carrying my Ipad chatting with them
and showing them what I was walking through.

Two bikers came up behind me and it was a funny sight...
I'm glad I was not surrounded by such activity, but that moment was very special to me.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Heum... touchy subject! I walked the Camino in November 2013 and there was many people with phones,... of course they don't talk on the phone, these days people text or post with their phones. To each their own. I was just kinda surprised and sad about this. The Camino has that special atmosphere, feeling, setting... that should be sacred. You un-hook from everyday life. You walk, think, share, experience,... I say take photos, write a journal (by hand, on paper,... yes, that still exist ;o)... then when you get back you can post and share all you want. I was so glad not being "connected" to anything for 35 days. Of course I communicated with my loved ones when and where I found computers with internet along the way. Many Albergues have computers and you can hook-up there and send an e-mail or skype with loved ones (Skype, not so much because of technology issues in most places). It is so special if you can just enjoy, absorb everything without being hooked to that phone.... my two cents anyway.

Of course Smartphones are self-regulating to a large degree in that any significant use soon exhausts the battery.

This is particularly so when out in the open countryside when the phone needs to use higher power than normal to reach distant transmission aerials. Similarly using the built-in games/music player/GPS/camera all takes significant power and thereby self-limits the use of the phone when away from convenient power points. Hence the fairly common habit of carrying external power packs with all their accompanying weight implications.

I speak as a confirmed, 5-star, geek who constantly has trouble keeping all my toys in power. I will doubtless find out how difficult this can be for myself in September/October when I (along with my wife) attempt our first Camino (SJPDP to SDC). I will be taking a representative sample of devices, currently limited to Smartphone, Tablet and Compact camera. I know; I know, (please don't shout at me) that they overlap in functions, but I need the larger screen of the tablet for serious reading/screen-use, Also I want a "real" camera with proper zoom and shutter controls as I intend taking "proper" photographs not just "Snaps"with a fixed phone camera lens . Fortunately they can all be charged from the same charger, I have a very compact charger with 5 USB outlets which only requires one wall socket. It is quite capable of charging all my devices at once if required without hogging multiple wall outlets.

Do your own thing - Camino unspoilt by progress for me

Dax
In Pune, (a work in progress)

I've carried my iPhone for a total of 9 weeks in France and Spain. It's my journal and camera. I send an occasional photo by email to let folks at home know I'm thinking of them.

I've received just one text that told me a good friend's mother had died. Aside from phone calls to make reservations, the only call I've made was in response to that text. Could it have waited a few weeks? sure. But I'm very glad I was reachable and able to respond promptly.

Bill

We took our smartphones and it was good that we did. I had mine in airplane mode most of the time and used it just as a camera and to make notes about stuff. I very rarely made phone calls, but I did send a couple texts here and there. I uploaded some stuff to FB, which was fun. I used wifi to book hotel rooms a couple times when we decided we needed a night off from the alberque. Having a smartphone was good and I didn't feel like I had to stay connected, but it was nice to have it. I think that part of the decision depends on how a person uses the smartphone and what kind of experience they are looking for on the Camino.

We did have a serious emergency at home while we were gone which caused us to have to leave the Camino immediately - it was very good to be able to make phone calls and access the internet to get information and make arrangements to get home. We got the message about the emergency one morning when we turned our phone on to take a picture - the call had come in during the night when our phone was off and then we didn't turn it on first thing, so it was a little while before we realized we had a message, but that is much better than a delay of a couple days between checking email on shared computers.

Side effect of new smartphone ownership: wanting to buy all the accessories! I may stick to my old fail-safe ziploc bags for this purpose, though. (I'll put a reminder in my smartphone to buy ziploc shares)
Hi Metropolly, welcome to the wonderful world of smartphones.

The ziploc bag is a good idea if you want to keep the phone dry. However you would not be able to use it without taking it out of the bag, as it is not able to transfer your finger presses (capacitative). The one in the link is a very good solution and I think we may get one too.

My main concern was whether Pilgrims had become so engrossed in their phones that they didn't notice anything or anyone around them whilst on the Camino. I loved the fact that when you passed another Pilgrim in 2010 they would also say 'Buen Camino' at the very least and when I'd stop at a bar for breakfast or sat down for my evening meal there was always a lovely, friendly atmosphere and most people would acknowledge each other when someone sat down. I'd hate to think that these days a large number of people wouldn't notice when other people came in their vicinity and thus the friendly atmosphere that existed 4 years ago had now been watered down.
I see no reason why people shouldn't use their phones if they want to keep in touch or writing about their journey but it seems these days that people get carried away with what else they can access on them to the exclusion of everyone around them and I was hoping this wasn't the same of Pilgrims too.
I'm seriously considering starting my next Camino from Hendaye so I may be glad of a GPS function, if I can figure out how it works, so I'm not against modern technology, just when it takes over a person's life as it has with my work colleagues.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I'm seriously considering starting my next Camino from Hendaye so I may be glad of a GPS function, if I can figure out how it works
Some GPS on smartphones can use an enormous amount of data, so watch out for the cell phone charges. There are lots of inexpensive GPS devices to do that specifically. Think about one of them.

You're right, they also sound much easier to understand too.
Thanks for the suggestion.

Some GPS on smartphones can use an enormous amount of data, so watch out for the cell phone charges. There are lots of inexpensive GPS devices to do that specifically. Think about one of them.
hi Falcon, it is not the GPS which uses the data. It is the app if it needs to download a map.
If you ensure whatever app you have can use offline maps, then you can download your next one when you have wifi access.
A lot of the cheaper gps devices only have limited maps and not always of a good detail level.
Buy yourself a big sd card for you phone (unless you have an iPhone then you are limited) and download some good HD maps. You can download google maps for offline use.

Whether or not to take a smartphone, and how, when, and for what reason to use it are questions the individual pilgrim needs to answer for him/herself. I may not agree with their choices, but it is their Camino. It's not for me to dictate to others what their Camino should be, nor would I want someone else to dictate to me what my Camino should be. With 200k+ people walking the Camino each year, there's bound to be a few who get on your nerves. And face it, for those of us of a certain age, the world is changing fast and cellphones/smartphones are an integral part of many peoples' lives these days. If the Facebook generation feels a need to inform their friends of every move they make, that's their business, even though I personally feel it's silly obsession. If someone doesn't mind spending hundreds of Euros on roaming data charges, that's his privilege -- or problem . Generally, I didn't see many people actually using or talking on a phone while walking, but if I did and they were creating a distraction for me, I'd simply stop for a few moments and take in the view or shoot a photo or two, allowing the other person to get far enough ahead of me so that I would not be distracted.

Ultreia,
Jim

Hey Ulla, I checked out your website and songs, I like it! When are you going to write and sing a song about the Camino? Wait...I see that you still have yours ahead of you, so get the experience first and produce a whole album, I'll be your fan.

THANKS Pano, for checking out my page and music (and liking it!...I LIKE!!!!) ;)
I actually DO have a brand new song about the Camino, just posted on YouTube 2 weeks ago! It's called HAPPY ROAD!...and its about my longing and anticipation....perhaps I will write a new one after I actually have experienced it myself!? LOL
Soooo....you can sign up as my fan now, on facebook! LOL! Thanks :D

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Heum... touchy subject! I walked the Camino in November 2013 and there was many people with phones,... of course they don't talk on the phone, these days people text or post with their phones. To each their own. I was just kinda surprised and sad about this. The Camino has that special atmosphere, feeling, setting... that should be sacred. You un-hook from everyday life. You walk, think, share, experience,... I say take photos, write a journal (by hand, on paper,... yes, that still exist ;o)... then when you get back you can post and share all you want. I was so glad not being "connected" to anything for 35 days. Of course I communicated with my loved ones when and where I found computers with internet along the way. Many Albergues have computers and you can hook-up there and send an e-mail or skype with loved ones (Skype, not so much because of technology issues in most places). It is so special if you can just enjoy, absorb everything without being hooked to that phone.... my two cents anyway.

Just because you bring a smartphone, doesnt mean you HAVE to use it!!! ;)
Its just so much easier when you DO need one of the wonders and tools it provides! ;)

I have used my smart phone several times on this camino and it has proved invaluable.

Google maps when I am not quite sure and need to find a street.

Booking.com app to take me to my accommodation at certain stops.

My Spanish translation app when I need to order something and ask a question.

And most importantly to be able to login to this forum to pull information or record my day on the camino.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
My main concern was whether Pilgrims had become so engrossed in their phones that they didn't notice anything or anyone around them whilst on the Camino. I loved the fact that when you passed another Pilgrim in 2010 they would also say 'Buen Camino' at the very least and when I'd stop at a bar for breakfast or sat down for my evening meal there was always a lovely, friendly atmosphere and most people would acknowledge each other when someone sat down. I'd hate to think that these days a large number of people wouldn't notice when other people came in their vicinity and thus the friendly atmosphere that existed 4 years ago had now been watered down.

I think you are worrying about this too much. If you are focused on other people's use of phones because you are concerned that too many people will be using them too much, then of course you will notice everyone who is using their phone and every person who doesn't say Buen Camino - these instances will stand out and seem like they are more prevalent than they are and your concerns will be a self-fulfilling prophesy. It is sort of like when you are considering buying a certain type of car - suddenly you see that kind of car everywhere - they've been there all along, fairly unnoticeable, but now that you are paying attention, you see them all the time.

Your description of your Camino in 2010 is exactly the experience that I had this year. People do say Buen Camino, they do chat at the dinner table. People do notice when other people show up. Don't worry. And think about it - these people who you see on their phones, ignoring the rest of the world - do they really seem like people who would even consider walking the Camino? One of the reasons that the Camino is so special is because it takes a certain kind of person to even consider going. I saw a quote a while back that said something like "Happiness is finding people who are the same kind of crazy as you are." I felt like that was the Camino - so many cool people from all over, but everybody was a certain kind of "crazy" to think that walking across Spain and staying in bunk beds next to strangers is a good idea.

I will be taking a representative sample of devices, currently limited to Smartphone, Tablet and Compact camera.
TonyC, I only carry one device, myself, but was concerned about keeping it charged; there isn't always a convenient outlet. I took a Zagg 6000 portable battery and my wife and I never had a problem on our Camino. It was good for about 4 full charges of an iPhone. Plug it in and it recharges. Plug one or two devices into it when it is plugged in, and they charge first. When the phone runs down, plug into the Zagg and keep walking.

Karl

I forgot to add that I would also be taking a backup battery pack as welln which can recharge any of my Android devices " on the way" if necessary. Personally I won't use Apple products, if I have the choice, as I find their business model of charging excessively for their (good but not brilliant) products to be very objectional.

I really only intend to use the phone in an emergency, and for occasional checks on what's happening back home. The tablet, on the other hand, will be used much as a general purpose computer/book reader/music player/blog terminal etc but it doesn't have a phone facility except via Skype or similar when in range of a free Wi-Fi point.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Echoing some of the others, I didn't find other's use of smart phones to be intrusive. The rare ringing in the middle of the night often led to laughter in the alburgue. In conversations with people speaking different languages, an iPhone added to the dinner conversation as we shared stories. International versions of Wikipedia filled in a lot of gaps. (You are from Iowa? or Idaho? or Ohio?)

I did not carry a smart phone, but nearly everyone I walked with did. Sometimes they looked things up for us/ me as we explored.

Let me also add that I did use several of the Internet kiosks along the way, coin operated internet computers. My experience (yours may be different) is the quality of the connection and computers seemed to get better the closer to Santiago I walked. In the first third of the camino, when I tied them, the connections was painfully slow. In some alburgues, an internet computer was free or donativo. My guess is as the older internet computers wear out, there is little incentive to replace them since wifi is nearly everywhere.

I forgot to add that I would also be taking a backup battery pack as welln which can recharge any of my Android devices " on the way" if necessary.

We have just invested in a Power Monkey explorer - (LINKY) - the battery is not huge (2200mAh) - about the same as a full charge on the mobile phone, but as it has a solar recharger, so we can keep topping up all day if needs be, and should not need to find a power socket.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Those who use an iPhone GPS AP, which ap do you like and why? Can it be used off line? Is it a heavy battery hog? Thank you.
Don

I've done 2 caminos and brought an extra battery pack on both occasions.
Number of times used: 0,00

Extra battery pack: not really needed.

imho

Last edited:
Those who use an iPhone GPS AP, which ap do you like and why? Can it be used off line? Is it a heavy battery hog? Thank you.
Don
I used RunKeeper (IOS) in combination with a local SIM card from Movistar. Very good app, it works online but I got well through the days; nice to know where you are and the distance you walked! The map though did not cover the Camino area well enough (in Sep.'14); had to resort to Google map for more details, sometimes.
Anyone with experience on better alternatives: post it, please!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
If you start in daylight hours and finish before 7pm you have NO use for a GPS.
For those who have not walked this camino please understand this;
********You cannot get lost unless;
You are on the phone and not concentrating.

When on the phone please have a look at the pilgrims just walking and enjoying the sights and company.
After you stop please join the other pilgrims in the cafe's , bars etc and enjoy the multicultural environment.

And please don't read the papers from home , just enjoy where you are....for when you get home you will have realised what a special place you were in.

**Only past pilgrims will understand this right or wrong argument.

Last edited:
While walking a smartphone and European assistance number 112 can provide invaluable emergency help. Luckily I have never personally needed such assistance, but over the years I have called 112 for other pilgrims who needed fast help and either had no phone or were unable to use a phone. ...In retrospect I would NEVER walk without a smartphone. Carrying one may help save someone's life.

During my first caminos my husband and I communicated when necessary by land-line telephone; since 2008 I have carried a smartphone which also serves as my camera and computer on which I write my blogs. Since we both are in our 70's whilst apart we text each other good morning, briefly cite our daily plans, and text again at day's end. Simple, swift and efficacious this helps keep each of us in the other's loop.

Margaret Meredith

I use the wifi @ 6.30am every morning Margaret when alone on the camino's for exactly the reason you mentioned....to communicate with the boss.
The girl is on the other side of the world and its mid afternoon.

At 6.45am i am alone again.....until 6.30 am the next day......with no use of wifi in between.

But a GPS .....they are walking on a tract used by a quarter of a million people per year for how many years....

Last edited:
I love my phone, and agree with PANO on it's usefulness, but fear the 'zombie apocalypse'. Sometimes I go to a restaurant and there are tables and tables of people not talking to each other, but looking at their phones. There is a time and a place... "and a time to every purpose under the heaven".

Absolute nonsense that 3G data is expensive. Sure if you are silly enough to use international roaming on your SIM card from home... but I am on camino now and when I flew in to Madrid my first stop was a mobile shop where I bought a local SIM card with 1GB of data for a MONTH for only 10 euros! Download viber and you can call home for free. Not carrying a mobile with internet access was not an option for me as I have no choice but to answer work emails once a day and more importantly... I have an 11 year old daughter at home and I need to be able to speak to her whenever I want without worrying about costs and rushing the call. With 3G and viber I can call her for free when I want and she can call me. All for 10 Euros! Money well spent. Added perks of the smartphone are the apps such as Wise Pilgrim... no need to carry the heavy Brierley guide... translator, gps, 16megapixel camera, torch etc... and of course I am responsible on how and when I use my phone so not to disturb others. At least 10 other pilgrims have downloaded wise pilgrim since I showed them... prefering it to the book.

Absolute nonsense that 3G data is expensive. Sure if you are silly enough to use international roaming on your SIM card from home... but I am on camino now and when I flew in to Madrid my first stop was a mobile shop where I bought a local SIM card with 1GB of data for a MONTH for only 10 euros! Download viber and you can call home for free. Not carrying a mobile with internet access was not an option for me as I have no choice but to answer work emails once a day and more importantly... I have an 11 year old daughter at home and I need to be able to speak to her whenever I want without worrying about costs and rushing the call. With 3G and viber I can call her for free when I want and she can call me. All for 10 Euros! Money well spent. Added perks of the smartphone are the apps such as Wise Pilgrim... no need to carry the heavy Brierley guide... translator, gps, 16megapixel camera, torch etc... and of course I am responsible on how and when I use my phone so not to disturb others. At least 10 other pilgrims have downloaded wise pilgrim since I showed them... prefering it to the book.

You're one of very few that know the advantages of having an UNLOCKED GSM smartphone and buying a local SIM card with data, the only disadvantage is that you won't be able have your local home phone number. Incoming calls on Spanish mobile phone carriers are free, even if you don't have calling credit, they are still free, leave family and friends an international calling card and have them call you, very inexpensive.
You don't see people on their devices until they stop at the bar/cafe/albergue that has wifi, most don't have local data to begin with and are afraid of racking up a huge data bill with their home carrier.
I too bought a local SIM card with data and was able to use my UNLOCKED iPhone 5 like I would at home, (and cheaper than home as well) I didn't have to wait till I got to a place with wifi and didn't worry if a place had wifi or not. (such as Albergue Guacelmo and La Faba) I didn't get sucked into having to get the wifi password every morning for my breakfast stop, it's funny to see people scramble to get the wifi password every time, there was this one pilgrim who called his girlfriend every time he stopped at place with wifi, his priority was the wifi password, then getting food.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
********You cannot get lost unless;
You are on the phone and not concentrating.
I got lost LOADS of times on the Frances - which I walked before smartphones were on the market. In the absence of a phone I got involved in quite intense conversations, even heated arguments, with myself and therefore often missed the yellow arrows. When an outsider joined in the discussion, we'd often get lost together. I've been lost on every Camino, and in fact on every walk I've done, even within a mile of my own home. Probably most people aren't like me (thankfully). But on the other hand, the person who invented GPS must have had a certain type in mind...

I think you are worrying about this too much. If you are focused on other people's use of phones because you are concerned that too many people will be using them too much, then of course you will notice everyone who is using their phone and every person who doesn't say Buen Camino - these instances will stand out and seem like they are more prevalent than they are and your concerns will be a self-fulfilling prophesy. It is sort of like when you are considering buying a certain type of car - suddenly you see that kind of car everywhere - they've been there all along, fairly unnoticeable, but now that you are paying attention, you see them all the time.

Your description of your Camino in 2010 is exactly the experience that I had this year. People do say Buen Camino, they do chat at the dinner table. People do notice when other people show up. Don't worry. And think about it - these people who you see on their phones, ignoring the rest of the world - do they really seem like people who would even consider walking the Camino? One of the reasons that the Camino is so special is because it takes a certain kind of person to even consider going. I saw a quote a while back that said something like "Happiness is finding people who are the same kind of crazy as you are." I felt like that was the Camino - so many cool people from all over, but everybody was a certain kind of "crazy" to think that walking across Spain and staying in bunk beds next to strangers is a good idea.

Yes you're right, I think it does take a certain sort of person to walk the camino and I doubt they're the sort of person whose life revolves around Facebook videos or fruit based games. Gonna stop worrying about it now and look forward to meeting lots more interesting and friendly people instead.
Thanks.

This is a personal view, and one not all of us share. I used a GPS to record all my trips, including the Camino. I also use it to geo-tag my photographs, and on occasion, I have used it when I have taken an elegant variation, and needed to confirm I could reach the next town along the track I was using. My view is that there a plenty of uses for a GPS.

********You cannot get lost unless; You are on the phone and not concentrating.
Rubbish. I am always amazed by past pilgrims who clearly didn't get lost pontificating on how easy it is to navigate, particular the CF. Those of us who have gone astray know just how easy it is to miss a way mark or mis-interpret some signage, particularly when there are few other people around. Walking in the morning twilight increases the likelihood of missing an sign, and extra attention is required if you are going to walk then.

And please don't read the papers from home , just enjoy where you are....for when you get home you will have realised what a special place you were in.
Goodness, what a quaint notion. It's a pilgrimage, not a retreat from the world. It doesn't require abstinence from contact with the non-Camino world. Nor do I sense abstinence would have made my appreciation of the special nature of the camino any greater.

Is it getting a bit cold up there in Canberra Doug.
This is the time to walk
1/
I'm not talking about "all your trips"...... just the Way of St James where there is 250, 000 people who walk along a certain path per year.
At no time during the "day" will you NOT see a fellow pilgrim
The next town on the camino is a mere 5 to 10 km....no GPS required ...just follow the VERY WORN path.
2/
I said Doug in my posting no late walking [twilight] or before daylight.
I have gone astray on many camino's but not the Frances.
Le Puy,very, very easily,
Norte , just before Ribadeo a nightmare
The above have very few pilgrims to accompany you .
Frances a walk in the park.
3/
Quaint=Strange or odd in an interesting way
Notion =imperfect idea or notion to something

A lot of words to describe my basic thoughts.........in an *academic" way Doug.

All i am trying to do is explain to the people who have not walked the camino Frances is that it is not that hard.
All i am trying to do Doug is tell them to stop sweeting before the race......never back a horse in this condition in the Melb Cup.....you loose your monrey
Whilst it is a thing that will change their life , and for the better in so , so many ways, please don't consider this walk TOO hard.

Its very simple Doug
Did you have a GPS in 2010 ?????
A wifi?????

Doubt it mate,
I think you had a Brierley to guide you and not MMDD
So did I and what a mistake.

We Doug are in the last 25% of this ball game . the kids today do not need any assistance in walking this path .
I thought of ST Jimmy when on the path up to La Faba.
One step at a time mate and all is ok

@Thornley, you clearly walked a different CF to me. In Apr, there were days around Easter where it was crowded, but after that there were many, many days where I didn't regularly see other pilgrims other than when I stopped at a bar, or in the evening - until Sarria, of course! And I carried a GPS, not necessarily to navigate, but to record my path and later geo-tag my photos - but I have said that, so I am not sure why you doubt it.

I agree with you that people shouldn't be deterred by thinking they need to carry a GPS, smartphone or any of the other modern gadgets available. But you made some absolute statements in your earlier post, and you should have expected that they would be challenged, because in the way you denied other views, they fail to address the nuances. Someone like me finds a GPS useful, can get lost on the CF, and is prepared to read the paper.

BTW, if as you say, 'the kids today do not need any assistance in walking this path', how do you explain the popularity of this forum, the proliferation of apps for Android and that other platform, the growth of organised tours, etc, etc? They don't reconcile.

Im just taking a basic!

Perhaps a little more "here's what I've done" and "here's what works for me". A little less telling people what to do.

Don't read a newspaper? There's no better tool for escaping a hiker who feels the need to discuss his/her spirituality or the [nationality omitted] who thinks you'd benefit from his extensive knowledge of beer.

Bill

Added perks of the smartphone are the apps such as Wise Pilgrim... no need to carry the heavy Brierley guide... translator, gps, 16megapixel camera, torch etc... and of course I am responsible on how and when I use my phone so not to disturb others. At least 10 other pilgrims have downloaded wise pilgrim since I showed them... prefering it to the book.

is the Brierley guide any good ?

I just downloaded eCamino and am thinking of paying for the app to get the guide and offline maps, which saves on data. It is 9euro, 33 stage maps, offline, 1000 or more poi, log your progress, keep your diary and photos... Could be nice.

And of course, no added weight...

The biggest battery drainers are gps and screen, the more they are on, the less time your battery will last.
So turning on briefly to check your position is best, unless you want to track how far and how fast you are going.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
is the Brierley guide any good ?

I just downloaded eCamino and am thinking of paying for the app to get the guide and offline maps, which saves on data. It is 9euro, 33 stage maps, offline, 1000 or more poi, log your progress, keep your diary and photos... Could be nice.

And of course, no added weight...

The biggest battery drainers are gps and screen, the more they are on, the less time your battery will last.
So turning on briefly to check your position is best, unless you want to track how far and how fast you are going.
Go for Wise Pilgrim app. Brilliant.

Hi all,

My name is Daniel and I’m doing a research for my master thesis about the use of Smartphones and Internet along the Camino de Santiago for the Salzburg University of Applied Sciences. The study intends to understand for what, why and why not pilgrims use the Smartphones and the Internet along the Camino.

If you have done the Camino in 2013 or 2014, please help me out and fill the questionnaire in the link below. The questionnaire takes around 5 minutes. All the participants will be kept anonymous. Also if you did not use a Smartphone or Internet along the Camino it will be useful for the study.I'm comparing as well different behaviors towards mobile devices and Internet along the Camino.

Thank you very much for your help and for taking the time to participate. And Buen Camino!

Link to the questionnaire in English: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1GVZtwnDR4CglwjgaQWX1RXEZMEb29eaoJzwvXCg7fdE/viewform?usp=send_form

Link to the questionnaire in Spanish: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1eLyLCx-A7f2fKf0SVRawENuYjNmhmsQE40hcbFApNo0/viewform?usp=send_form

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Doug , by assistance i'm only referring to GPS.
I did not doubt you and was only referring to 2008[my] and 2010[yours] camino.
We walked also in late April and early wet May in 08 and we were never alone
In 08 we only say one person with any smartphone [ were they around] and she was ""listening"" to The Di Vinci Code whilst walking the Mesata
If you need it mate thats good but all i'm saying is that it is not essential.
In relation to photos , at the end of each day , after the shower the boss asks for the camera.
She then writes in her diary what relates to what and usually deletes half , much to my annoyance.

In answer to your last paragraph ,
I think we are in an ever changing world Doug but i'm still a look and see person.
I did notice this year on returning to Paris from Bordeaux on the TGV how a lady was asked to stop talking on her mobile , or she was off the next stop.
There were signs everywhere saying No Phones.
Maybe some are addicted .
I'm sure you have heard the odd mobile ring during mass @ Santiago.

In conclusion Doug and to relax Ivar , lol , i will not comment on organised tours.

Cigarettes are not essential.
If you need it, fine by me, just dont blow your smoke my way.
On the TGV you are also not allowed to smoke. Signs everywhere.
Maybe some are addicted.

Why this discussion about smartphones and not i.e. about cigarettes? If you ask me, a cigarette is much more annoying then a smartphone.

I would rather have somebody walk in front of me who is on the phone, texting, surfing, whatever, then smoking and letting me enjoy his toxic fumes for free.

I just dont get this strange judgement of smartphone users. So weird.

When someone speaks so quietly into his smartphone that I don't have to hear what he is saying ..... that works for me.

Someone mentioned apps - I love using Map My Walk for my practice walks, and it's free. Any other good suggestions for androids?

Perhaps a little more "here's what I've done" and "here's what works for me". A little less telling people what to do.
Bill

I so agree Bill! We all do it in our own and different ways, which are ALL fine and how WE need it to be! ;)

I LOVE hearing what and how you all do it, but I DON'T like to be told what to do or not to do, or that some ways are more "right" than others. :cool:

If I want to, I will read my newspaper from home! Usually I don't, when I'm on vacation, and I probably won't this time either, (that's not why I walk the Camino), but IF I want to, I will. And I can't think of one good reason why I would NOT bring my smartphone! I'm a grown up, I think I can manage to use or NOT use it, anyway I feel is right! :rolleyes: ;)

AND don't worry, I WILL say 'Buen Camino' and talk with people ALL I can too, - normal courtesy and interest in other people!....but, we all have our limits too though! (Just saying). ;) :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
We have just invested in a Power Monkey explorer - (LINKY) - the battery is not huge (2200mAh) - about the same as a full charge on the mobile phone, but as it has a solar recharger, so we can keep topping up all day if needs be, and should not need to find a power socket.

Wow.. thank you so much! I've just ordered one!!

Someone mentioned apps - I love using Map My Walk for my practice walks, and it's free. Any other good suggestions for androids?

I've used MMW... works great... I've used the GPS tracker too and that's cool... it doesn't use much data but of course the phone is on... I'm happy with it though.

My sister recommeded this clever little app today - very clever little text translater! ... https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.questvisual.wordlens.demo&hl=en_GB

The Wise Pilgrim app appears to be only available for the iPhone (http://wisepilgrim.com/)

Maybe they will see sense somewhere along the line and rewrite it for the much more popular Android device community. :p
Not true... I have a Samsung and downloaded from Play Store... as have several others I am walking with. At first it was only for iphone but about 2 months ago he brought out android version.

Hi Metropolly, welcome to the wonderful world of smartphones.

The ziploc bag is a good idea if you want to keep the phone dry. However you would not be able to use it without taking it out of the bag, as it is not able to transfer your finger presses (capacitative). The one in the link is a very good solution and I think we may get one too.
Actually....not true! I've done it on many a hike thru the Ziploc baggie!! In fact I just tested it again right now and my iPhone works just fine in the bag! Now talking might be another issue but using it for maps or directions isn't a problem. So zip it up and Buen Camino!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Actually....not true! I've done it on many a hike thru the Ziploc baggie!! In fact I just tested it again right now and my iPhone works just fine in the bag! Now talking might be another issue but using it for maps or directions isn't a problem. So zip it up and Buen Camino!
glad I was wrong, usually Apple makes it so you have to buy expensive accessories :)

My take on bringing a smartphone is this, if you own a smartphone and want to bring one, bring it with you, but learn how to make it affordable to use by learning how to unlock your phone, (if it applies to your phone and carrier) learn how to change SIM cards, and buy a Spanish SIM card with data.
Once a smartphone is unlocked, changing SIM cards is very easy once you get to Spain, plus you are familiar with your device.
Have any of you smartphone owners tried to SMS (text) from those ancient disposable phones? Very frustrating to say the least, I'd rather use what I already own.
For the price of a bad pilgrim meal, you can buy a Spanish SIM card with data and be able to use your smartphone like you would at home and not have to wait till you get wifi spot and not worry if you stay at a place that doesn't have wifi.

The Wise Pilgrim app appears to be only available for the iPhone (http://wisepilgrim.com/)

Maybe they will see sense somewhere along the line and rewrite it for the much more popular Android device community. :p

http://caminoapp.com/ - yup available for Android from the play store - (LINKY) - £2.95 v.s. eCamino's €9

Does anyone know how the map is on the Android version now - the reviews suggest it keeps crashing? Also is it a good HD map, sufficient to use offline with just your GPS and no data connection? - Just read on their website - Note: maps do not work in offline mode, there isn’t much we can do about that. eCamino has offline maps.

Also - does the wise pilgrim have private hostels and casa rurals? As we need double room accommodation due to having our little one with us :)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Not true... I have a Samsung and downloaded from Play Store... as have several others I am walking with. At first it was only for iphone but about 2 months ago he brought out android version.
Hi and thanks for the "Heads-Up". I had searched on the Play Store under "Wise Pilgrim" and saw nothing.

Doing a re-search it did show, but under the heading "Camino Frances" with the small sub-title "Wise Pilgrim". It's possible that was how it was shown before but I didn't spot the small sub-heading. I have now downloaded and paid for the app. At first use it looks impressive and the author states that most of the information is available off-line, so hopefully there will be little need for wi-fi or 3G connections on the track.

Thanks again for the info.

. At first use it looks impressive and the author states that most of the information is available off-line, so hopefully there will be little need for wi-fi or 3G connections on the track..

Hi Tony, according to the website the maps are not available when offline, that is the only drawback I can see. eCamino offers you the ability to check in, and for you to share your progress with friends, and keep a diary if that is of interest...

GOD BLESS YOU I couldn't have said it better myself...

€149,-
However I am now wondering if it's worth taking it as it may come in more handy for emergencies, especially with the GPS functionality?

Regarding GPS, I highly recommend the old-fashioned GPS: just follow the yellow arrows all the way to Santiago. :) :)

That's really all you'll ever need.

Last edited:
Regarding GPS, I highly recommend the old-fashioned GPS: just follow the yellow arrows all the way to Santiago. :) :)

That's really all you'll ever need.
I thought I was still alone with these thoughts hotel medicis.
Well said and when in the bars on the way have a yarn to the locals......a great cultural experience.

My smartphone arrived yesterday and I'm very excited!! ;)

I'm the total opposite to some in that I've refused to join the 21st century... much to the annoyance of friends and family I didn't have a mobile! (well I had the cheapest pay as you go from Leclerc and never charged it). But my forthcoming walk changed my mind for me and I think it's also given my family a little peace of mind.

I decided that my smartphone can be
  • my camera/video recorder
  • my guide books
  • my music
  • my reading book
  • my tourist information
  • my map
  • my link to home (and this forum)
  • I can scan and copy all my important medical records and other important documents and have access to them
  • I have a phone book
  • an address book
  • Michel Thomas loaded to help me improve my Spanish (and even my French)
  • I've found a very clever app that translates text for me
  • GPS - not to show me the way but to show where I've been
  • It also gives me access to my blog/journal - which I will update when I have a moment
  • it's a tool that allows me to store information and ph0tos online so they are safe even if I lose/break the phone
  • all of this and it fits in my pocket!!
I dont think it will detract from my experience at all... I just think it will make life a little easier and my pack a little lighter.

So... If any one has any great apps that they think I could use please let me know... I've got Wise Pilgrim and Mapmywalk... or if you've got any useful tips that would also be very welcome! :D

So... If any one has any great apps that they think I could use please let me know... I've got Wise Pilgrim and Mapmywalk... or if you've got any useful tips that would also be very welcome! :D

Good on you! I recommend:

- Google Translate
- Google Maps
- Booking.com

As someone else said, it is getting harder and harder to find a coin operated computer in good working order on the Camino. By next year there might not be any! I don't own a mobile phone, but I will have to get one for next year's trip. I really envied people this year who could use booking.com to ensure they had a bed in a private room of their choice.

My suggestions (in addition to those you have listed) :
(1) 1Password or something similar to store all secure information like passwords, PIN numbers, credit card details,
(2) Your bank probably has an app for online banking and paying bills; mine even enables withdrawals from EFTPOS machines
(3) Converter (currency conversions, also weights and measures, clothes sizes etc)
(4) Field Guide to identify flora - I use a couple of different ones.

Last edited:
1) Night Sky App which identifies the stars. In no way essential but fun. 75% off at the moment so in Brit £0.99
2) Depending on how multi-lingual you are - Duolingo for learning and/or improving your Spanish
3) Collins Spanish-English dictionary App
4) TripAdvisor for opinions on hotels etc

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

I'm the total opposite to some in that I've refused to join the 21st century... much to the annoyance of friends and family I didn't have a mobile! (well I had the cheapest pay as you go from Leclerc and never charged it). But my forthcoming walk changed my mind for me and I think it's also given my family a little peace of mind.

I decided that my smartphone can be
  • my camera/video recorder
  • my guide books
  • my music
  • my reading book
  • my tourist information
  • my map
  • my link to home (and this forum)
  • I can scan and copy all my important medical records and other important documents and have access to them
  • I have a phone book
  • an address book
  • Michel Thomas loaded to help me improve my Spanish (and even my French)
  • I've found a very clever app that translates text for me
  • GPS - not to show me the way but to show where I've been
  • It also gives me access to my blog/journal - which I will update when I have a moment
  • it's a tool that allows me to store information and ph0tos online so they are safe even if I lose/break the phone
  • all of this and it fits in my pocket!!
I dont think it will detract from my experience at all... I just think it will make life a little easier and my pack a little lighter.

I mean seriously, whats not to love about a smartphone. Just reading the above makes you wonder how anybody could NOT want to bring a wonderfull thing like that with him/her.

It's like a swiss army knife, but better :)

Big problem - won't do my washing.

I bet you could use it to google instructions on how to best do it ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back