• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sometimes the wrong train...

mralisn

Time of past OR future Camino
SJPdP-SdC (2005), Camino Norte-Fisterra (2010), SJPdP-Muxia-Fisterra (2012), Camino Norte w/Primitivo-Muxia-Fisterra (2014), Camino Portuguese (2016)
Hello friends.

It has been a long time for me to post something on my own. It took a moment to remember how.

For years, the enjoyment comes from you, your guidance, laughs, sentiments, questions.

My path crossed with this earlier today, again. Instantly, the thoughts were of all of you. All of us. No matter if new or not so new.

In regards to the Camino, it seems more (even me at times) are trying to "get it right". Perhaps you have noticed as well. It is nice when we are reminded how we can only do so much. Excitement of adventure could get lost.

"Sometimes the wrong train will take us to the right station."

No matter if our Way is to start in these days/months/next year/or to continue after we have returned home, may we all end right where we are supposed to be.

Keep a smile,
Simeon

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Perhaps we on the forum are sometimes guilty of making things sound over-complicated, or our enthusiasm for a particular backpack or pair of boots might come across as a warning of inevitable failure if you use anything else. I know I always recommend that newbies don't scrimp on those items in particular, and I stick with that. However, I'm going to do a little experiment and wear a pair of boots that I got really cheaply when I do a short Camino (probably Ourense-SdC) in a few weeks time. We'll see how much I really notice the difference, especially if I put some decent insoles in them first....

Worries about travel arrangements etc are definitely understandable, especially as you don't yet have the support of other pilgrims and may not speak the language. I think it's a healthy sign that people are stretching themselves and leaving their comfort zone - some of us may never have been to France/Spain etc, or even a non-English speaking country before.

On a planned Camino Frances I missed my flight home from Valladolid after the bus from Burgos failed to materialise. I carried on walking and ended up in SdC. Everyone said 'It must have happened for a reason', so I was fully expecting to meet the love of my life or be offered my perfect job before arriving in Santiago. Somehow that didn't happen, but maybe I would have been hit by a bus if I'd gone home sooner. I did get the wrong train from Sahagun once and ended up in Miranda del Ebro instead of Valladolid, but, Lo!, awaiting on the next platform was a train to Valladolid. They accepted my existing ticket, presumably on account of my being a stupid English (sic) peregrino.

So, yes, things tend to go all right. The Spanish are loud and a bit brash and lovely, helpful, wise and very, very human. Wear your scallop shell with a mix of pride and humility (if that's possible) and you'll be ok.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Hi Simeon,

I'm in full agreement. Our entire lives are too structured nowadays. Working long hours with the aim of "getting it right" and obtaining that supposedly perfect job/family/retirement. All of which can in time become shackles, limiting us and causing us to look back in later years thinking what if? In 10 days I'm boarding a plane bound for my first Camino. Taking a bit of a Sabbatical with no plans & no schedules to keep to. Just walking and trying to recover that which somehow became lost over the past decade. Hopefully that "wrong train" will take me exactly where I need to be.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hello friends.

It has been a long time for me to post something on my own. It took a moment to remember how.

For years, the enjoyment comes from you, your guidance, laughs, sentiments, questions.

My path crossed with this earlier today, again. Instantly, the thoughts were of all of you. All of us. No matter if new or not so new.

In regards to the Camino, it seems more (even me at times) are trying to "get it right". Perhaps you have noticed as well. It is nice when we are reminded how we can only do so much. Excitement of adventure could get lost.

"Sometimes the wrong train will take us to the right station."

No matter if our Way is to start in these days/months/next year/or to continue after we have returned home, may we all end right where we are supposed to be.

Keep a smile,
Simeon

Wow, Simeon. "Sometimes the wrong train will take us to the right station." I really heard that. Thank you for your words of wisdom and for reminding us to let go a little.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back