• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting off slow, where to stop between SJPdP and Roncevalles

cinimod

Time of past OR future Camino
St J P d P to Pamplona (August 2014)
Hi,

We are starting at the end of August and want to start slow, as we will be walking with our 9.5 month old baby.

We are thinking of doing SJ->Ron in 2 days, but I am having trouble working out where to stop.
We would like a Double room to try and give everyone a peaceful nights sleep, and ideally want to take the Route Napoleon... however, I can not see anywhere to stop between Orisson and Roncevalles... have I missed something, or must we go the other way and stop in Valcarlos?

Thanks

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
There is no place to sleep between Orisson and Roncesvalles; nor is there any place to sleep after Valcarlos and before Roncesvalles. This Luzaide/Valcarlos website provides a list of all accommodation (alojamiento) in Valcarlos. CR refers to bed and breakfast facilities. Click on each line for further info.

MM

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi,

We are starting at the end of August and want to start slow, as we will be walking with our 9.5 month old baby.

We are thinking of doing SJ->Ron in 2 days, but I am having trouble working out where to stop.
We would like a Double room to try and give everyone a peaceful nights sleep, and ideally want to take the Route Napoleon... however, I can not see anywhere to stop between Orisson and Roncevalles... have I missed something, or must we go the other way and stop in Valcarlos?

Thanks

Taking the Route Napoleon from SJPDP you can stop at Huntto http://www.gites-de-france-64.com/huntto/ which is only 6 kilometres from SJPDP (but all uphill) and Orisson, but then there is nothing between Orisson and Roncesvalles.

It is also a pretty long haul from Valcarlos to Roncesvalles, if you go that way.

I've just finished watching all the You Tube videos of Indigo and his parents on the Camino - recommended watching if you are carrying a baby! Not sure Indigo's age, but he is not yet sitting, so younger than your little one, but he and his parents did make it all the way to Santiago.

Many thanks, helpful lovely people.
We have watched some of the YouTube videos with Indigo, it was very interesting... We will have proper shoes :)

Looks like it is going to have to be via Valcarlos then the 13km to Roncesvalles..

I hate to be a Debby Downer, but have you considered taking a taxi to Roncesvalles and walking from there?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I may be the only one, but I want to enjoy the Pyrenees. So I am stopping in Hunto and then in Orisson. I know that sounds crazy, but I want time to enjoy. Then I will do the hard part to Roncevalles.

Madam Ourtiague-Paris at Huntto is a fabulous cook.

I am sure Joshua would not know, until he came to look at his credential one day :)
We see him as a fabulous new life on a new journey, and in life there are no shortcuts and you only have this one, so you need to make what you do count :)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thanks. That sounds wonderful. I am still wondering what the essentials are for my first aide kit. Can you help me with that?
I have heard safety pins, micropore, gauze, and would personally suggest steri-strips and a small germolene/savlon

Thanks. That sounds wonderful. I am still wondering what the essentials are for my first aide kit. Can you help me with that?

It might be helpful if I list the full content of my travel sponge bag as many things have a dual purpose. The bag itself unrolls and has a hook to hang over the shower door, invaluable. In one outside pocket: nappy safety pins, twisted elastic travel clothes line, small fine micro-fibre towel. Second outside pocket: micropore tape, a tiny bottle of antiseptic hand gel, a tiny sewing kit with a needle included, small scissors, tweezers, a child-sized cotton handkerchief, 2 Imodium tablets, 2 Valium tablets, 2 penicillin tablets. Inside: a small all purpose soap in one ziplock bag, in another ziplock plastic bag a sample size toothpaste and dental floss (ask your dentist!), toothbrush. A small tube Canestan anti-fungal cream, small tube anti-chafing cream (which doubles as anti-perspirant; same active ingredient), a small sunscreen which doubles as moisturiser/handcream and hair tamer!

We have our first night booked at Gîte Ultreia, just need to work out where we are spending our next one :)
Thanks Kanga for the list - very useful.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
It might be helpful if I list the full content of my travel sponge bag as many things have a dual purpose. The bag itself unrolls and has a hook to hang over the shower door, invaluable. In one outside pocket: nappy safety pins, twisted elastic travel clothes line, small fine micro-fibre towel. Second outside pocket: micropore tape, a tiny bottle of antiseptic hand gel, a tiny sewing kit with a needle included, small scissors, tweezers, a child-sized cotton handkerchief, 2 Imodium tablets, 2 Valium tablets, 2 penicillin tablets. Inside: a small all purpose soap in one ziplock bag, in another ziplock plastic bag a sample size toothpaste and dental floss (ask your dentist!), toothbrush. A small tube Canestan anti-fungal cream, small tube anti-chafing cream (which doubles as anti-perspirant; same active ingredient), a small sunscreen which doubles as moisturiser/handcream and hair tamer!
Kanga, you are an absolute gem! You are so willing to share and I love your double-ups. From your photo you look like you could burn easily in the sun. Do you wear anything other than sunscreen reapplied every couple of hours? We never go anywhere without our hats but even reflected heat can burn. Thanks again.

Kanga, you are an absolute gem! You are so willing to share and I love your double-ups. From your photo you look like you could burn easily in the sun. Do you wear anything other than sunscreen reapplied every couple of hours? We never go anywhere without our hats but even reflected heat can burn. Thanks again.
In summer I take a long-sleeved cotton shirt and wear it as a cover-up; I also take an umbrella which is invaluable when there is no shade. When there is hot sun but too much wind for the umbrella I can also wrap my cotton voile sarong wrapped around my head and face shemagh style.

Last edited:
In summer I take a long-sleeved cotton shirt and wear it as a cover-up; I also take an umbrella which is invaluable when there is no shade. When their is hot sun but too much wind for the umbrella I can also wrap my cotton voile sarong wrapped around my head and face shemagh style.
Have a sarong and long sleeved cotton shirt packed. I wondered about an umbrella but I was thinking about it for rain not sun.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Have a sarong and long sleeved cotton shirt packed. I wondered about an umbrella but I was thinking about it for rain not sun.
Good for both - it's that dual purpose again!

I imagine that makers of baby strollers and carriers have improved on the detachable umbrellas my wife and I used when our children were toddlers. If not, then it may be helpful to know a trick a couple from Spain used to make their umbrellas "handsfree".

Karlos bought short lengths of plastic pipe (e.g., PVC plumbing pipe) and secured these to their backpacks. When they used their umbrellas for sun protection and light rain, they inserted the umbrella handles in the plastic pipes, which held the umbrellas in place, leaving their hands free.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Be sure to book your place at Orisson!
Many thanks - did check this out and as it will be our first night after walking, we will not have settled into a pattern, so not sure how Josh will be and would not want to subject the dorm to him waking and wailing at 4am, though that would be 5am Spanish time when some would probably be stirring anyways...

I think it is going to be the low road for us this time around - any suggestions for private hostels / B&B with double rooms in Valcarlos?
Does anyone also have a recommendation on a Poncho, preferably clear, that will go over a backpack? Thinking we may have to go visit the camping shops at the local outlet centre in Ashford...

Consider the Packa:

http://www.thepacka.com/

I have one, and it is great. My only criticism is that it should be longer.

Sizing is for the pack size, and the wearer:
The Small/Medium/Large Packas have the same packcover size at around 4000 ci or 65 liters. The packcover dimensions are roughly about 9 inches deep by 12 inches wide by 29 inches tall. The packcover also has 3 inch pleats on both sides at both the top and bottom increasing the volume beyond simply 9 x 12 x 29.

The MediumX and LargeX sizes have the same jacket size as the regular Medium and Large Packa, but have slightly larger packcovers– up to about 5000 ci or 80 liters. Size Small is not available with the “X” size packcover. The packcover dimensions for the “X” size Packas are about 11 inches deep by 12 inches wide by 32 inches tall. The “X” size packcovers also have the 3 inch pleats that increase volume.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Falcon,

I happened across the Packa website this past weekend. What fabric option do you have? And how does the venting compare to other ponchos you have used?

I think it is going to be the low road for us this time around - any suggestions for private hostels / B&B with double rooms in Valcarlos?...

In Luzaide/Valcarlos I have always reserved and stayed at the municipal albergue which offers 12 bunks in 2 dorm rooms. Nearby is the very pleasant Hostal Maitena. I have often eaten in their popular and very reasonably priced dining room; the view across the valley is magnificent.

Remember the Valcarlos route is NOT flat; it is through the mountain as opposed to over the mountain. Do read what other pilgrims and I have written about this original medieval route.
Once you leave Valcarlos there are NO services NOR water for 16 kilometers; if there is fog or heavy rain and slippery walking conditions you can walk on the verges of the parallel mountain road N 135. For me it is always a ROUGH five hour slog up to the 1060 meter Ibaneta pass. However when at last at the top exhausted and elated I then "float" happily down to the almost mythic Roncesvalles monastery. What wonderful relief!

MM

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
This is a very interesting Poncho article;
http://popupbackpacker.com/the-search-for-the-holy-grail-waterproof-breathable-rain-gear/

He comes down in favour of the zPacks poncho this comes in at $155 to $170 USD

Think we will be looking for the bargain versions, with a cord around the waist to hold it in :)
My husband and I walked from SJPP to Santiago last Aug-September and only saw about three days of partial rain. Being on a tight budget we tried cutting costs where we could. We bought $5 pack covers at Walmart and $6 ponchos. They worked great. As it started to mist, we threw on the pack cover and then slipped on the poncho. Nothing ever got wet underneath. Snaps on the side let some air in. They were perfect!
Lynda

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thank you Lynda, sounds like you were very lucky. Think we will try and find something in the middle, all suggestions have been noted and are greatly appreciated.

I will also be walking from SJPP at the end of August. May I ask what your intentions are as regards accomodation? With a baby on board, can the assumption be made that you will be staying in Private accomodation and not in dorms the whole way along the route?

I will also be walking from SJPP at the end of August. May I ask what your intentions are as regards accomodation? With a baby on board, can the assumption be made that you will be staying in Private accomodation and not in dorms the whole way along the route?
Hi Brian,

Yes, we will be staying where we can get a private room, do you want to make sure to avoid us :) . We are also going via Valcarlos rather than over the top, in order to do that. Our intention is to come back and go over the top once we have finished in a few years time (we are only doing 10 to 14 days a year)

So far we have booked places in SJPdP, Valcarlos and Logrono - not sure if we are going to book in between or just see how we get on and leave ourselves some flexibility.

Buen Camino to you!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I'm a volunter in Spain and I think it's crasy to go to the way with a baby.

With a Baby on the Camino?? And that at the end of August?? Ts ,ts! I doubt that you know what you are planning.
Long stretches on some etappes go along deserted land. There is one etappe of 18km without any tree and any village and no shadow at all. And in August the temperature can climb up to 30°+!!
What will you do if your Baby gets a heat stroke in the middle of nowhere?
My opinion is: You set the health and even the live of your Baby on stake!!
Please, please make your holidays in a holiday Resort in your home land.
You can do the Camino when your kid is about 10 years old.
Buen Camino
Jochen

My husband and I walked from SJPP to Santiago last Aug-September and only saw about three days of partial rain. Being on a tight budget we tried cutting costs where we could. We bought $5 pack covers at Walmart and $6 ponchos. They worked great. As it started to mist, we threw on the pack cover and then slipped on the poncho. Nothing ever got wet underneath. Snaps on the side let some air in. They were perfect!
Lynda
Great suggestion Lyndale, do you know the brand names of the pack cover and poncho? I'm going to be walking on a similar budget and would like to check the local Walmart out for these two items.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The OP is only taking her baby on Camino for 12 to 14 days from SJPDP, so will not be on the meseta. I am sure she and the baby's father will take the greatest care of their little one. If the baby is still breast-fed then he will have liquid on tap, no matter what the temperature. I suggested an umbrella and I think that would be useful. Besides, between SJPDP and Burgos, which would be the limit of a 12 day Camino, one is always within co-ee of a taxi.

Thank you Kanga, I was not going to reply as those last couple of posts were upsetting - we have indeed thought long and hard about doing this and would certainly, not intentionally, put our little miracle in harms way.

The umbrella idea is a great one, and we will be bringing a big golf umbrella to keep off rain and shine, thank you.
We are going to take it easy, Burgos is next year, and our little one loves the outdoors.

Thank you Kanga, I was not going to reply as those last couple of posts were upsetting - we have indeed thought long and hard about doing this and would certainly, not intentionally, put our little miracle in harms way.

The umbrella idea is a great one, and we will be bringing a big golf umbrella to keep off rain and shine, thank you.
We are going to take it easy, Burgos is next year, and our little one loves the outdoors.

I happen to think that babies can be everywhere with Mum. Where in the world is safer?

I am sure the postings were kindly meant but come from not knowing enough about you, your baby, your planning and what has been done quite successfully before. I felt very uncomfortable about Kiwi-family travelling with children and said something I later regretted, simply because I did not know enough about them - and wow! Look what they have done. I am now a huge fan.

Unsolicited advice is that extra gift that comes to all of us when we become parents. Part of the process of introducing us to the life-long experience of Parental Guilt. Your son himself will be an expert in manipulating it by the time he is a teenager.

I have a special hiking umbrella which is normal size, lightweight but very flexible so if the wind blows hard it turns inside out but does not break. Might be worth investigating. Am I right that you decided on a carrier rather than a stroller? If so and you carry an umbrella in front it should shade the back carrier even if the canopy is not particularly big. Consider that you are travelling mainly west and the position of the sun during the day. Try a bit of PVC piping fixed to the front of the backpack shoulder strap, in which to put the umbrella pole. That would leave your hands free for sticks etc. I have just carried my umbrella but saw this idea and will try it next time. Should work whether a golf umbrella or not - you might need a longer length for a heavier umbrella. It might be worth having some fun with a bit of experimentation.

Mind you, the Camino being the Camino, you could be all prepared for heat and sun and get rain and cold instead.... In which case an umbrella is still handy. Indigo's parents bought Altus ponchos in Burgos btw and were exceedingly pleased they had. I am probably one of the few people to watch their whole walk on video (in spite of his propensity to lecture on assorted topics) - as I peddled away on the cross-trainer!

I seem to remember than Bethan Davies and Ben Cole, authors of one of the guide books (Pili Pala press), walked with their baby in about 2003, but I can't find any references to that so maybe I'm wrong.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Many thanks again Kanga. I did a quick look and there are some 'normal' umbrellas which come with straps to put on your pack to attach them to,
here is a link.

We did start watching the Indigo Camino but have not managed to watch it all, we may take it up again.

Umbrella looks good, if expensive. I'm not sure you will gain much by watching Indigo - one or two episodes would be enough.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hello Kanga: You seem to be so knowledgeable about this wonderful adventure, so I thought I'd ask a question. Since this thread is about albergues, I assume my question is in the correct location.
I attempted to make a reservation at Orisson for late August, but was told that there were no beds. It was suggested to me that I contact Kayola. My information must have been forwarded to Kayola, and I have been sent a Paypal invoice for the night. While I appreciate the fact that the Orisson people are trying to be helpful, I don't find any reference regarding the Kayola refuge. I am not assuming that anyone has done anything wrong - in fact quite the opposite. I feel that they are simply suggesting a different hostel that's close by, and I was told that my daughter and I could still have dinner (and/or breakfast) at Orisson.
My question is, are you familiar with Kayola? The alternative would be Hunto, I guess, and that would be fine as well.
Thank you for any insight!

Diane

Hmmm. That link doesn't seem to work. Not sure how to fix it.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thank you Kanga - I knew you'd know where to send me for further information. The photos are lovely, and now I need to make a decision regarding a reservation. Part of my hesitation is whether or not to spend a night in St. Jean. We will be delivered there from Corazon, and I don't want to waste the opportunity to explore it a bit. Still - that exploration may go rather quickly.

So - spend the night in St. Jean before heading to Kayola or head out as soon as we are able to secure our pilgrim passports. Any words of wisdom?
:) (just found the smiley faces - isn't that fun?)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
St Jean is a pretty little town, with good eating places, ramparts to explore and a river to watch while drinking a cafe. Quite touristy. Mondays is the farmers market and I recommend that. I've spent three days there quite happily (waiting for someone) but it depends on how eager you are to start walking. It takes a couple of hours to walk up to Hunto, it might only be 6 km but it is straight uphill, in fact relentlessly steep all the way to Orison! But short enough that you can happily start walking after lunch and still arrive in time for dinner.

@Dianekd4 - you can even order your Passports from Ivar now (LINKY!) and he sends them super fast.
We did that with ours, and treated ourselves to a forum badge and key ring too!

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Diane, I did stay at Kayola and liked it very much. The beds were clean and comfortable and the scenery was breathtaking. (Unfortunately, I was too sick to really enjoy it.) The downside is that Orison is further UP the road, and the only place you can buy food and drink. There is a kitchenette at Kayola, but you would have to bring the food with you, or hike further up the road. The owners visit in the late afternoon, and offer dinner, breakfast and a picnic sandwich. If I remember correctly, breakfast was at 7:00 am sharp. I was told in the Pilgrims office in St. Jean that I should arrive before 2 p.m. I left St. Jean at 9:30 a.m. and got there at 1:00-ish. I'm not sure I would have made it all the way to Orison.

I also thought St. Jean was beautiful and would have happily stayed another day to explore, had I not been so eager to start walking (in retrospect, that was a mistake). If you can, take some time to linger.

Buen Camino!

I happen to think that babies can be everywhere with Mum. Where in the world is safer?

I am sure the postings were kindly meant but come from not knowing enough about you, your baby, your planning and what has been done quite successfully before. I felt very uncomfortable about Kiwi-family travelling with children and said something I later regretted, simply because I did not know enough about them - and wow! Look what they have done. I am now a huge fan.

Unsolicited advice is that extra gift that comes to all of us when we become parents. Part of the process of introducing us to the life-long experience of Parental Guilt. Your son himself will be an expert in manipulating it by the time he is a teenager.

I have a special hiking umbrella which is normal size, lightweight but very flexible so if the wind blows hard it turns inside out but does not break. Might be worth investigating. Am I right that you decided on a carrier rather than a stroller? If so and you carry an umbrella in front it should shade the back carrier even if the canopy is not particularly big. Consider that you are travelling mainly west and the position of the sun during the day. Try a bit of PVC piping fixed to the front of the backpack shoulder strap, in which to put the umbrella pole. That would leave your hands free for sticks etc. I have just carried my umbrella but saw this idea and will try it next time. Should work whether a golf umbrella or not - you might need a longer length for a heavier umbrella. It might be worth having some fun with a bit of experimentation.

Mind you, the Camino being the Camino, you could be all prepared for heat and sun and get rain and cold instead.... In which case an umbrella is still handy. Indigo's parents bought Altus ponchos in Burgos btw and were exceedingly pleased they had. I am probably one of the few people to watch their whole walk on video (in spite of his propensity to lecture on assorted topics) - as I peddled away on the cross-trainer!

I seem to remember than Bethan Davies and Ben Cole, authors of one of the guide books (Pili Pala press), walked with their baby in about 2003, but I can't find any references to that so maybe I'm wrong.

Hello, especially to Kanga and Cinimod... I am hoping to take my 3 year old this April/May, and I will be pushing him in a Chariot. Many thanks for all the advice so far... I will pay attention to all your suggestions, and will let you know how it goes for us!

Have a great time - Joshua did enjoy it and we have lots of pics of a very happy smiling child, with numerous people we met along the way - we made a photo book and he still loves looking through it.

He is 4 now, and we are thinking we may come back again next year, 2019, when he is 5 and carry on some more with him walking a bit - if he is up for it, or maybe on bikes - he does like being outside.

All the best.

@Tiff and Z this is an old thread now and my post was in 2015. Since then many more children have walked the Camino (or been carried or pushed) and there are probably more up to date threads if you look.

Have a great time - Joshua did enjoy it and we have lots of pics of a very happy smiling child, with numerous people we met along the way - we made a photo book and he still loves looking through it.

He is 4 now, and we are thinking we may come back again next year, 2019, when he is 5 and carry on some more with him walking a bit - if he is up for it, or maybe on bikes - he does like being outside.

All the best.

What a lovely follow-up. Thanks for posting. Glad to hear it all worked out so well. May your family have many more happy journeys together! :)

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back