• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting saturday! Looking for a snow update

daandownunder

Time of past OR future Camino
Via Podiensis (2010)
Camino Frances (2012)
Camino del Salvador & Primitivo & Finisterre (2014)
Via de la Plata /Camino Frances (2015)
I'm flying to Madrid on fridaymorning and taking a train to León, arriving around 18:00. So I hope to start walking to Oviedo on saturday (10/5). I would also like to visit the cathedral in León, but it doesn't open till 9:30 I think. I am thinking about maybe getting a bus out of León (never the greatest walk) and make it a shorter days walk to La Robla so I can visit it in the morning. Any thoughts?

But most importantly... I would like to stop worrying about snow and hope someone can tell me it's all clear :). If not, I can still reconsider (part of) my route (since I'm walking alone).

I'm surprised (but then again I'm not) about the nerves I'm experiencing before taking of on my third camino... I don't think it's ever going to change!?

Thank you & buen camino to everyone

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I can't say anything about Leon and the cathedral 'cos I haven't done the El Salvador yet but I think you can be pretty certain that if you see any snow it will be small patches left at the top of the highest mountains. It has been warm this Spring and the weather is set to be warm for the next week. Last year there was snow into May but this year is very different. Some places are getting frosts at night but once the sun comes up it gets hot very quickly.
Don't forget to post on how it goes.
Buen camino
Sue

The snow is almost all gone. I talked to two pilgrims last week who had walked the Salvador in mid-April, they said they had no troubles aside from chilly evenings. I drove over Pajares pass a week ago, and the only snow I saw was on the windward sides of the highest peaks. I think you will be fine.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I talked to two pilgrims that arrived in Santiago 3 days ago, and they had walked in snow (1-2 cm) at O Cebreiro... another pilgrim that I talked to today, walked a day or so later, and the snow was gone.

Should not be a problem in Galicia at least these days..

Buen Camino!
Ivar

I can't say anything about Leon and the cathedral 'cos I haven't done the El Salvador yet but I think you can be pretty certain that if you see any snow it will be small patches left at the top of the highest mountains. It has been warm this Spring and the weather is set to be warm for the next week. Last year there was snow into May but this year is very different. Some places are getting frosts at night but once the sun comes up it gets hot very quickly.
Don't forget to post on how it goes.
Buen camino
Sue
I won't ever comment on the weather again. Having said that Spring is warm this year it is now really cold and may well snow. Daandownunder I hope you are managing to keep warm and walking safely.
Sue

Thank you for the updates!! They said to be ready for anything when walking in Spring!! God willing I will start on Saturday, May 24th from SJPDP! Hoping for clear weather, but prepared for the cold and wet stuff!! ☔

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I won't ever comment on the weather again. Having said that Spring is warm this year it is now really cold and may well snow. Daandownunder I hope you are managing to keep warm and walking safely.
Sue

When you say its really cold ... what does that mean? Where I live ... really cold means -30C.

When you say its really cold ... what does that mean? Where I live ... really cold means -30C.
Really cold means the temperature dropped, suddenly, from mid to high 20's to about 10 degrees C. It's not so much that it is cold, it's the sudden change. This is Spain!! I suppose the temperatures are within the normal range, we just shouldn't have had such warm weather so early and for so long.
Temperature is, of course, relative. I reckon that, if it isn't actually raining or snowing, that the current temperatures are ideal for walking.
I think the El Salvador must be pretty quiet, I've been in the Pilgrim's Office for the last week and I haven't seen any one who has done this route.

Most read last week in this forum

(Soon-) Live from the Camino del Salvador - starting end of April 24. We are currently on the Camino de Invierno around 43km before reaching Santiago - from there we will catch a bus to Leon to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back