• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Suggested guide book?

Rich Jones

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances from SJPdP (July/August 2013)
Hi guys,

I'm planning on tackling the del Norte next summer and looking to get a guide book fairly soon. Anyone have any advice as to which might be good to buy, and any you'd really recommend not to use?

I used the Brierley guide for my Camino Frances last year, but unfortunately there does not seem to be a book of the del Norte?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
We would recommend the Cicerone Guide to The Northern Caminos, by a forum member, and the CSJ guides Ruta de la Costa 1 & 2 (2 booklets). The 'Caminos del Norte' - £3 - is a synopsis only not a guide.
Buen Camino

Thank you so much, Tia!

Am I right in thinking that the Cicerone guide book also includes the guide for the way to finisterre?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thank you so much, Tia!

Am
Hi guys,

I'm planning on tackling the del Norte next summer and looking to get a guide book fairly soon. Anyone have any advice as to which might be good to buy, and any you'd really recommend not to use?

I used the Brierley guide for my Camino Frances last year, but unfortunately there does not seem to be a book of the del Norte?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I right in thinking that the Cicerone guide book also includes the guide for the way to finisterre?

Thank you so much, Tia!

Am I right in thinking that the Cicerone guide book also includes the guide for the way to finisterre?
Yes, you are right. Camino del Norte; Camino Primitivo; Camino Inglés and Camino Finisterre/Muxia.
Buen Camino(s)

I think the best guide to a Camino, any Camino, or any journey abroad is not to have a guide book but just to know where you want to go and trust, en route, to luck, chance encounters and fate.

You will learn more from the people you meet and what they tell you about themselves or where you are than in any guidebook, which will, in any case, probably send you to sleep whilst you read about the dusty details of some local ancient building or church "This is an interesting architectural example of an interregnum castle which has references to the Mausoleum of Hadrian and in the church you will find of interest, in the clerestory of the west transept, knosps in the pendentive arches.... blah blah blah".

That local or or new acquaintance will tell you that the best meal in town with the most interesting people is that bar/restaurant just round the corner on the left.

If you are really desperate (and you would need to be desperate) to know about those knosps and pendentive arches - Google it when you get home.

No pilgrimage or journey abroad should be a "pre-packaged" or an overly planned journey.

It should be an adventure and a voyage of discovery.

Throw caution to the wind and let life throw at you what it will

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I think the best guide to a Camino, any Camino, or any journey abroad is not to have a guide book but just to know where you want to go and trust, en route, to luck, chance encounters and fate.

You will learn more from the people you meet and what they tell you about themselves or where you are than in any guidebook, which will, in any case, probably send you to sleep whilst you read about the dusty details of some local ancient building or church "This is an interesting architectural example of an interregnum castle which has references to the Mausoleum of Hadrian and in the church you will find of interest, in the clerestory of the west transept, knosps in the pendentive arches.... blah blah blah".

That local or or new acquaintance will tell you that the best meal in town with the most interesting people is that bar/restaurant just round the corner on the left.

If you are really desperate (and you would need to be desperate) to know about those knosps and pendentive arches - Google it when you get home.

No pilgrimage or journey abroad should be a "pre-packaged" or an overly planned journey.

It should be an adventure and a voyage of discovery.

Throw caution to the wind and let life throw at you what it will

I do agree with you in many areas, that being open to whatever may come is possibly the ideal way to experience the camino. But I don't think having a book filled with useful (and sometimes interesting!) information should stop it being an adventure or voyage of discovery. During my first camino I used the book and found that it was a great asset. We did not always stick to the suggested stages, but it allowed us to plan our days as much as we wished to, particularly when it detailed the alternative routes that you might otherwise miss.

While I admire your approach, it's not for me so i'll be investing in the book. Also, I like to read it in the months beforehand and let the anticipation build.

There are some places on the Norte and the Primitivo where lack of a guide can leave you unsure of the route. It is well arrowed but when following mountain trails the arrows are not always so easy to see. Knowing that the trail goes down a track x metres or kms along is very helpful as are diversions given to bars which are just off the Camino. Plus the joy of planning .............. then doing what is right at the time. We just enjoy guides and maps and all the research beforehand. Off to make plans for next year using Johnnie W's CSJ guide to the Inglés, Cicerone guide etc :).........
Buen Camino

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

Most read last week in this forum

Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back