• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sydney Information Night

kellieandruben

Hello all Sydney Pilgrims - past and future!

My partner and I are holding a free information night in Cronulla in September for anyone with questions they need answered or people with stories they want to share.

SEE: http://holaspanish.com.au/camino-info/

I walked the Camino Frances in April 2006 and the Camino Norte in 2008 and 2009 and my Spanish partner has walked and cycled the French and North ways.

We are often asked to help friends prepare, so we thought we would try to get everyone together and do it all at one time.

If you are interested, please send me a message on the HOLA SPANISH website and we willbe in contact with details!

ULTRYEA!!
Kellie

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi Kellie, I would have loved to attend your forum in September but I will be on the Camino. I live on the Central Coast. However I do have a question - what does ''ultreyia'' mean. I know it is not Spanish, but many on the Forum usre the expression. David

Hi David,

what does ''ultreyia'' mean
- it is my understanding that it is a Latin word meaning "onward". However, I think these days it also has an other meaning from those who use it as "good way". The French people use ''ultreyia'' often, along with "bon chemin", and it seems to be the French that will, more than any of the other natiaionalities, break into the song by the same name - particularly in the gites in France. regards, Janet

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
As good an explanation as any from the Spanish Wikipedia, and usually spelled with either an "i" or "y" but not both:

Ultreia (from Latin ultra-beyond-and-eia-interjection to move) is a greeting between Pilgrims Way to Santiago . It also serves to encourage each other in their journeys on foot (or horse or bicycle) on the road to Santiago. Comes to mean "We go beyond," "Go forward", "Hurry up, keep going" (to Santiago de Compostela ).

This salute was taken from St. James Calixtinus Codex. It appears the phrase "Et His Ultre ia eia! Adjuva we Deus" ("Let's go further and higher! God help us!").

It seems that once greeted pilgrims saying "Ultreia, suseia, Santiago" ("Courage, that beyond, above, is Santiago"). It was suggested that when a pilgrim saying hello to another "Ultreia" ("We go beyond) the other would respond with "Et suseia "(" And we go up ").

falcon269 said:
"Let's go further and higher! God help us!".
God help us yes indeed...

Can't say I heard this one much on any of our caminos but we have collected an odd selection of greetings including:

"Buen Camino!" the ubiquitous greeting
"Finda Fetcha" from a german keen to see the reassuring arrow
"Ding Ding" - Get out of the way, usually from a cyclist's bell, but also spoken by walkers in a hurry
"Save me a bed" - from those you pass on the way
"Don-de-egh airest de aubergine?" from a non Spanish speaking lost pilgrim search for the albergue
"How far now?" also closely followed by “Are you/we mad?”
"Meet you at the bar" - usually an Australian, who also expects you to settle in and shout a while

"Ultreia" ("We go beyond) the other would respond with "Et suseia "(" And we go up ").[/quote]

. . ."Onwards and upwards" . . . Yay!

Kellie . . . . Your Info night sounds great. Will try to get there, from South Coast.

Hel and Scott . . . brought back a few memories. :lol:
Buen camino. Carole

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
To those of us who have been part of the cursillo movement, ultreia is a very familiar word. Cursillo is a renewal movement in the Christian church which began in Spain shortly after World War 2, and has since spread around the world. In several countries it has fostered an off-shoot called Kairos, which provides Christian ministry in gaols. People who have been on a cursillo week-end are called cusillistas, and encourage each other in their efforts to live a Christian life by saying "ultreia", which they understand to mean "onward and upward". Group gatherings of cursillistas are also called ultreias.

When I went on my first camino I expected Spaniards to use the word ultreia frequently. Not so! But they have this other wonderful saying of "buen camino". Just as good!

Alan

Be brave. Life is joyous.

Hi all, Thanks for the info on the meaning of 'ultreia'. David

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back