• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Tents and snakes (on Via de la Plata)

Bootspei

Can one tent along the entire way of this route? What's the snake situation? I'd rather be dropped out an airplane with no parachute than encounter a slithering monster.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Can one tent along the entire way of this route? What's the snake situation? I'd rather be dropped out an airplane with no parachute than encounter a slithering monster.
with difficulty one would be able to walk the whole Frances using a tent. Half the time a paid camping spot will be more expensive than an albergue.As for snakes , never seen one. I did have a wild boar sniff around my tent thinking my snoring was a mating call.
Search for camping on the forum , there are many threads with good advice.

Hola, welcome to the forum.
As for snakes , never seen one.
Sorry, don't mean to scare anyone, however, I saw one in 2009 (live) and another (dead) in 2012 (Camino Frances), so they do exist, but they were both very small (around 30cm, bit over 12").
I know, that's a terrible way to welcome someone to the forum.
Buen Camino
Colin

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Here's a couple of snakes from one of the French routes. As you can see, they are far more interested in each other than the pilgrims, from whom they are gliding away from as fast as possible. All snakes are like that....they want nothing to do with people. If you are lucky enough to spot one it will soon be gone.
snakes.JPG

I also saw snakes on the VDLP in 2012. Two dead on paths and one live on the road. If I knew how to post a photo I would. Duh !

I saw a tiny snake on the Aragones Route.
I've never seen one on the Frances or on the VDLP.

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I saw a lot of snakes on the Francés, in the morning they like to take a sun bath on ways and paths. But the poison snakes are very rare in Europe and they prefer to stay away from humans.

I've been on the VDLP about 5 times and never saw a snake, dead or alive. The scariest thing to me were the few times I'd have to walk through a large herd of cattle with no farmer or dog in sight. Same with the black pigs. But none of these animals ever threatened me.

I saw a small adder on the Dragonte route last June - first one I've ever seen anywhere. Basking in the sun on the path (the snake, not me...lol) about 30cms long. As ever, I didn't get a photo, and it slithered away pretty quickly. But it did give pause for thought: where there's little ones, there's big ones....:D And I'm with the OP on this, give me the drop from a plane anyday......

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Great title for a film though. Could be the sequel to Snakes on a Plane pt II: Tents & Snakes. :)

Nothing to be afraid of thus...once in Malaysia we encountered a snake, a mangrove snake ,which if it bites you, it should be the last 59 steps of your camino.

Personally, I'm more afraid of ticks, but that's because my wife has gotten really sick of one and needed years of recovery. Does anyone know if the spanish ticks bear of borrelia?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Saw two very small very dead snakes on the VdlP this last autumn. Just check where you sit down if it's a sunny spot. Paschulke is right: tics far more of a problem.

Snakes DO exist in Spain. Refer to this link: http://www.iberianature.com/other-wildlife/reptiles-of-spain/snakes/

However, I did not see, one dead or alive during my 35 days on the Camino Frances last April and May. Perhaps the late winter kept them in hibernation. They do not bother me. But, like most "bad" things in the world, I found if you avoid them, they will avoid you. Snakes usually only get testy when you surprise them, or do not give them a way to back down from a confrontation, a route of retreat.

That is another reason a walking staff or hiking poles are a good idea. They create vibration which the snake will sense and usually avoid. Plus, in the extremely unlikely event of an actual live confrontation, they offer a friendly way of moving the snake from your path without harming the animal or you.

I hope this helps.

Snakes ...

I would recount the time I went sea kayaking on Georgian Bay in Ontario Canada. The clerk that sold me a chart also gave me an information sheet about Massasauga Rattle Snakes. Every landing I made on the shorelines and islets as I waded through tall grasses and shrubs looking for the elusive great campsite, I kept a keen eye open for the hissing slitherers (or is it slithering hissers) that I was convinced were plotting to get me.

Sure enough ... I got a case of poison ivy.

Advice from Lonely Planet Spain is to take care when finding a seat on a pile of rocks as snakes may be hidden amongst them.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Never saw any snakes on my two walks on VdlP. But I had a few encounters with pretty large loose dogs, and one day I found myself surrounded on the path by what I thought were cows, but was actually a heard of bulls... Bring a stick for protection.

Okay - so here's some nasty information I found by googling around. Warning - this post will creep some people out (me too).
Apparently there are 13 different types of snakes in Spain of which 5 are poisonous. Snakes are not common however. Of the poisonous snakes the 3 vipers are the potentially deadly ones, causing 3-6 deaths in Spain per year. Death can usually be prevented when the bite is treated. Vipers can be found in Basque country, Galicia, Leon and the Cantabrian coastal strip.
Having said all of that on about 4500 km of walking on the camino I have NEVER PERSONALLY SEEN A SNAKE. I did meet someone last year however who received a snake bite when he picked up a small bag he had left on the ground when he stopped for lunch. His bite looked nasty but a doctor told him it wasn't a viper. The pictures below are all vipers - the ones you want to avoid.
There's lots of info available if you want to look around.asp_viper.jpg common_viper.jpg ursiniviper.jpg
Buen camino

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Bring a stick for protection.

I find no snake will ever come towards you----walking around it is far safer than attacking it with a stick.

But I had a few encounters with pretty large loose dogs, and one day I found myself surrounded on the path by what I thought were cows, but was actually a heard of bulls

Alex was probably referring to the dog and bulls, where a stick might be of use.

I am from Galicia and I have never seen a viper there, But I know that they exist.
It must be very difficult seeing a viper, because here in the mountains of Madrid (La Pedriza) it is said that there are plenty of them and I have never seen one either.
Imaging a possible danger situation , if you loose something, take care when introducing your fingers into a narrow slot in the rocks. because in VDLP you could find an scorpion as well.

Well coming from a country with more than half the 10 deadliest snakes, our rule in the bush is "keep your eyes on the track ahead" and if you see a snake, stand still and wait for it to move off. Most snakes will be far more afraid of you and you should be of it. The suggestions about checking before you sit down are good ones, regardless of looking for snakes or other nasties. Buen Camino!!:cool:

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
In VDLP, other "potential dangerous animals" are wild boars (many thousands) and wolves, with a estimated population of 2000 in Spain. But, it's all the same. I have only seen four or five boars in my life and I've never seen a wolf.
I wish i could see one.

Paschulke,
I've never seen ticks on the Camino. The trails are very wide and clear; you never are walking through brush

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

My daughter just has a few weeks off so we flew to Portugal to visit my brother in Braga, then he drove us up to Puebla de Sanabria to walk the Camino Sanabres. Tomorrow we start walking, but I...
After Requejo, you pass thru a little town, Padornelo and then by a gas station with a bar. You follow N-525 for a short way and then come to a turn off to the right, leading thru Aciberos. There...
After Olleros de Tera at one point you will come to a crossing where there are two arrows. One pointing to the road and one pointing straight on into the greenery. If you have the Via de la Plata...
Greetings from sunny Cea. Are there any hostels between Cea and A Laxe? Hostel in Castro Dozon is closed
After Requejo, you pass thru a little town, Padornelo and then by a gas station with a bar. You follow N-525 for a short way and then come to a turn off to the right, leading to Aciberos. There...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back