• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The Camino in Paris

sillydoll

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2002 CF: 2004 from Paris: 2006 VF: 2007 CF: 2009 Aragones, Ingles, Finisterre: 2011 X 2 on CF: 2013 'Caracoles': 2014 CF and Ingles 'Caracoles":2015 Logrono-Burgos (Hospitalero San Anton): 2016 La Douay to Aosta/San Gimignano to Rome:
Comments on the 'Need to know" thread prompted me to start this new post.

In 2004, before starting the Via Turonensis, my friend and I spent two days in Paris following the two 'Paris Pilgrim' walking itineraries in the CSJ's 'Paris Pilgrim' City Guide.
I had read James Michener's evocative account in Iberia of hundreds of pilgrims gathering under the chestnut trees outside St Jacques de la Boucherie (the great pilgrimage church which was a starting point for the Chemin St Jacques) before being blessed by the priests, musicians leading the pilgrims to the outskirts of the city and cavalry riding alongside to provide protection.

There is a rich history of St James in Paris and following the 'Paris Pilgrim' guide, your day or two spent in Paris could be an apertif for your walk in Spain rather than time wasted.

Attachments

• 23 Paris Rue St Jacques.JPG
    23 Paris Rue St Jacques.JPG
    36.3 KB · Views: 1,786
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
sillydoll said:
my friend and I spent two days in Paris following the two 'Paris Pilgrim' walking itineraries in the CSJ's 'Paris Pilgrim' City Guide. ...There is a rich history of St James in Paris and following the 'Paris Pilgrim' guide, your day or two spent in Paris could be an apertif for your walk in Spain rather than time wasted.
Thanks sil. I had no idea such a guide was available! I spent time in Paris before I moved down to Le-Puy-en-Velay, and I had gleaned some info about some of the places associated with St James in Paris in a forum posting by Peter Robins. As a result, I very much enjoyed visiting the Basilique St Denis, knowing pilgrims had gathered there; and I walked from the Tour St Jacques, past Notre Dame and up the hill past the Sorbonne on all the 'St Jacques' streets. But 'next time' I will be sure to get hold of this itinerary as I am sure there will be places I never recognised...
Margaret

Attachments

• Tour St Jacques Paris.jpg
    Tour St Jacques Paris.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 1,725
  • Rue St Jacques.jpg
    Rue St Jacques.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 1,724
Ohh! Ohh! Full marks to Sil! Thanks so much; I'll be in Paris this September and this will be the perfect way to spend my de-jetlagging day. Then I'll head down to Cahors to pick up where I left off last year. I discovered last time that I really do operate better with a de-jetlag day in the schedule, coming in from the US west coast.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
There are two walking itineraries in the 'Paris Pilgrim' city guide. One is north of the Seine and takes about 2 - 3 hours. The other is south of the Seine (starting at the west end of Nortre-Dame) and also takes 2 - 3 hours. There are suggestions in the Guide for other places to visit in Paris as well.

In the middle ages Paris was the start of the long walk to St Jaques de Compostelle for hundreds of pilgrims from Germany, England, France as well as Sweden and Norway and the low countries.
Michener describes the clerics with their clerks and retinues, the Knights with their horses, their ladies and their servants, the devout laymen seeking salvation, the criminals, beggars, forgers, theives and robbers; merchants, architects, painters, masons and government agents. It seems there was never just one 'real' pilgrim! Much like today, I suppose!

The route from Paris was once the most used road to the various shrines in the south and to the Pyrenees and Spain. In 2004 (a Holy Year), when I walked the route, the pilgrim office registered 24 pilgrims who had started in Paris. Its still not a very popular route and in 2009 only 79 pilgrims started in Paris.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back