• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The Camino Is Not For Everyone

Rebekah Scott said:
Any technical mountaineer worth his salt will know within five minutes that most of the Caminos de Santiago are not what they´re looking for. But I challenge any of them to walk the Camino Viejo, all the way to Santiago, and report back here as the same old hard-ass thrill-seeking goober that started the trip. .
Reb

Nice stereo typing! :D

Maybe some of us are technical mountaineers but are actually a bit deeper than "hard-ass thrill-seeking goobers"

True, they are vastly different experiences, but many of us enjoy both. We just don't discuss climbing in this forum

Newfy the goober

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Rebekah Scott said:
I am back, having just picked a couple of young North Americans off the trail. One of them went home this afternoon, ending two long weeks of rain-soaked misery. He was NOT meant for the Camino, but was dedicated to his friend -- a person who is happy, rain or shine.
The happy friend is sad to see him go, but he is joyful to be on the trail. I think the happy guy will be utterly liberated when he sets out tomorrow, free of the heavy burden his friend had become.

Not everyone is cut out for the Camino. It is a fact. There is no shame in it. If you are continually miserable, ill, injured, or just not having any fun, you should go home. The camino will still be here if and when you decide to try again.

That´s the whole point of the original post. Listen to your heart and your body. Don´t judge yourself too harshly. And don´t let other people´s judgments make you miserable.

Hi Rebekah - I agree with your words, heartfelt words. In the spirit of not passing judgements, perhaps there is a time and a season and a route for everyone on the camino. Sometimes it is a matter of life throwing something in one's life path that triggers the need.

That said, not everyone wants to or needs to walk - and perhaps, for the chemin, that is a good thing. Who will judge for whom the camino exists? Why the person who chooses, of her or his own free will, perhaps out of desperation, to make the pilgrimage.

Robert

hotelmedicis said:
Oh man, "the camino is not for everyone." That's like saying "not everyone likes fish." The world is vast and wide and we all have different tastes and priorities. Some people eat meat, others eat vegetables. So what? Of course the Camino is not for everybody - ok, so what? A bit like Paris. Or Manchester. Or Osaka. Not for everybody.

Yep i happen to agree , just like fishing is not for everyone, driving a car is not for everyone, baking cakes is not for everyone, what is the point of making a statement like this? Yes not all things are meant for all people, its so obvious. Or is it not ? Am i or are we missing something here?

So how do we decide who should be doing the Camino, just who is it meant for. Myself having already done it , i guess it was obviously meant for me....

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
But then, why this thread?
Because in other threads, there were comments from disappointed pilgrims that the Camino had not met expectations. The criticism was often about things intrinsic to the pilgrimage, such as it is too easy. This thread addressed the criticism by saying, essentially, if you want to go mountain climbing, go to mountains, not the Camino Frances. The route was set a thousand years ago, and generally followed the easiest path available. If you expect to go surfing, then the Camino is Not For Everyone. :wink:

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Rebekah Scott said:
The first part is a no-brainer: There are some people who simply are not cut out for long-distance hikes, physically or mentally. A 700 km. walk, or even the minimum requirement of 100 km., would be detrimental to their health. They would quickly fall ill or hurt themselves if they attempted it.

Inflexible people might think twice about walking the camino.
Some people do not get on well in uncontrolled environments. The idea of coping with other languages, strange food and water, money and beds and bathrooms is just too much for them. A guided tour is as far from their comfort zone as they are willing to go.

Some do not appreciate people of other cultures, colors, or beliefs. They feel compelled to speak out against people who behave or represent things that make them uncomfortable.

Some people can´t handle discomfort, inconvenience, or unmet expectations. When faced with any, they complain, rage, sulk, or behave in ways designed to spread their misery.

Then there are people whose economic or social positions bar them from camino-walking. 150,000 people per year seems like a lot of pilgrims, but that´s a pretty small percentage of the whole world´s population. I daresay the majority of humanity would find a pilgrimage across Spain is just bizarre, or just not their cup of tea. And that´s OK by me.

The Camino de Santiago is not for everyone. Or perhaps it is better said, Not everyone is for the Camino de Santiago.

Thank you Falcon.
Great, then we can add people who think the camino "is too easy" to the list above.
I'm sure all these people will be very happy for the advice in this thread. :wink:

Pieces said:
Susannafromsweden said:
Pieces said:
WE don't decide

everyone decides for themselves only...

Exactly.

But then, why this thread?

maybe not everyone agrees with me...

Of course not.
Wouldn't it be wonderful if we could decide who should walk the camino!?
Then... Hmm... I would chose only nice interesting people. They must smell good, no snoring. Not too much people. Perhaps just a bunch of handsome gentlemen, with lots of muscles. They would carry my bag and buy me coffee.
And massage my feet in the evening. :)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
falcon269 said:
They opted for more challenging GR routes through France and Spain, of which there are many!
Can they share those with us? I have been on several dozen GR routes, and none was difficult overall; just some stretches that require exertion, a bit like leaving Castrojeriz. Is there any chance they exaggerated the difficulty? I have a few friends whose walks are always a bit more difficult than anyone else's, usually after a beer or two.

I was on the GR20 in Corsica in 2011 which is known as being the most difficult way-marked trail in Europe. If you have not been on it I highly recommend it but you have to be in top physical shape as it really is quite difficult. I'm sure you'll find lots of info on it if you just google GR20 Corsica.

I think you are on wrong track, one young man enjoyed walking, the other did not, why? Wrong pace, wrong distances, that's why you don't walk with friends, you walk solo, your camino

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
This might be a long story or of topic what ever. tThis thread seems to have gone somewhat of topic anyways.

My story starts 2007 when I read a book by Paulo Coelho, I can't remember which one but it wasn't The Pilgrimage. In the foreword he wrote about the camino and i thought to myself that anyone who decides to walk half across Spain must be utterly insane for doing so (I still think we they are but I'm happy to be able to say that i am one of those people that have done this journey) and after that I didn't give a second thought about the Camino.
Five years later (2012) in January me and a friend sat in a pub talking and he dropped this bomb after three or four beers: Should we walk the Camino Francés and I answered him. H*ll yes!
We started in Pamplona and I'm sad to say that I actually don't remember much from the first week or so. In Logroño my friend decided he couldn't continue because he had a bed knee. I don't think that it was he's only reason for going home but I don't blame him It was good for him that he went home as the Camino wasn't for him. In retrospect I should have gone home with him but I didn't and I'm forever grateful fot that. I met some new people that i walked with for a couple of days and after Grañon I decider to go home because i had had it. I had had it with all the cuts and bruises on my fingers that didn't seem to heal and hurt like h**l in the mornings. The "Camino family" that i had at the time told me to take a bus to Burgos and rest for e few days and so I did.
I left Burgos three days later but I didn't go home, I had decided to stay on the Camino. I med new friends in San bol which I ended up walking to SdC with. And i loved it even though I had problems with my knee for a bit, had a bit to heavy back pack (who doesn't) and so on but I finished my Camino and I am eternality grateful that i did.

So my story is this: I ended up doing the Camino Francés after something i decided to do after a couple of beers one night even if i the Camino wasn't for me AND this year I'm doing Camino del Norte. So yeah, even if the Camino is not for you when you start it it CAN be something for you after a while traveling

I don't know if this added anything to the discussion but i hope it did.

David said:
Great pilgrim story, honest and refreshing - you don't like to give up do you! :wink:

Thank you!

Before going on my first Camino I thought I was a quitter. I have proved that I'm able to do so much more than I ever thought possible. I started my Camino with another goal in mind but this was what I got out of it and it is much greater than the goal I had in mind :)

I agree that some people aren't cut out for such an experience and I speak from experience. During my recent Camino I met many wonderful people while waiting in line at the Pilgrims Office. One was a younger than me English man, very nice guy who became part of my Camino family. After only 93 kilometers and 5 days, unfortunately he went home due to physical and mental exhaustion. I felt so bad for him and tried so hard to convince him to stay but he just couldn't handle it. In his words "this isn't for everyone.

Also many friends had to either bus ahead so they could take some rest days due to illness or injury. Some took taxi's on a daily basis to cut the stage short. I'm not judging anyone for this just pointing out how rough it can be at times.

If you want to do it, then I say GO FOR IT, but note: It's a tough walk, not a walk in the park. You'll have to dig deep on many occasion in many circumstances. You will also experience personal satisfaction everyday after you reach that goal of 15/25/33 k. I'm so happy I did it because the feelings of peace, love and joy ran as deep as I had to dig. I look forward to doing it again someday, God willing.

I am in no way trying to discourage anyone from taking this awesome, life changing experience. I'm just keeping it real.

Peace be with you and my the Lord guide your steps.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree that some people might hate the experience, especially if they were forced into it by a partner etc and weren't really enthusiastic themselves.

However I hope this thread doesn't put inexperienced walkers off the Camino. One of the great things about it is the fact that many of us are novice walkers who have never done anything else like it in our lives! That makes the achievement all the greater when you arrive at wherever you're aiming for.

Buen Camino!
Hi there ... hasn't put me off! Very inexperienced but determined as well. I want a challenge, want to meet new people, and want to get over my husband who found a new life without me after 27 years. But most of all I'm looking forward to doing something for me for the first time in a very long time. And looking forward to get back to being me. Cheers Trish

WE don't decide

everyone decides for themselves only...

AMEN !

AND no-one should put another off their path !

It really does NOT matter if one goes home "early"…. they are still on THEIR path !!! …… what is "early" ??

We do not know what we can do until we do it !…… I have proven that to myself many times in the past 8years….. won't go into details …….. BUT have no excuses as I have done many things I had once thought not possible for me….. soooo one should give it a go !

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Of course not.
Wouldn't it be wonderful if we could decide who should walk the camino!?
Then... Hmm... I would chose only nice interesting people. They must smell good, no snoring. Not too much people. Perhaps just a bunch of handsome gentlemen, with lots of muscles. They would carry my bag and buy me coffee.
And massage my feet in the evening. :)

Ohhh Susanna !!! Dont you cry for me ! hahahaha used to be a song :D

hahaha YES ! Let's get some BUFF men on the Camino who do not snore yet smell nice and can carry our bags :cool: and buy coffee…. ANY volunteers ????:rolleyes:

The Camino is a difficult journey and there are times when if becomes more than difficult, that only your personal resolve, and determination to complete the journey will be what carries you beyond a difficult day.

Well Susanna, Annie, I have a kind of feeling (that's a line from a song tool) that if any of the no-longer-quite-as-"buff"-as-they-used-to-be gentlemen on this forum were suggesting that, say, the Camino ladies should get up a bit earlier to make breakfast, or to get to the next Albergue, make the beds and get some beers in the fridge... Well, I think they would probably get roasted :( even if it was all said in jest. Meanwhile I'll continue hitting the gym nine times a day in-between my Foot-massage classes :p :p

The real question is: who should decide wether the Camino is for someone or not, the person in question or someone else....

I stated my opinion quite clearly elsewhere....

This totally sums it up for me. My wife and I planned our Camino for about 1 year. We got tired of hearing "You will not be able to do it" or "Please don't do it, I have friends who did the last 100 km and had terrible problems with their feet" (we personally found the last 100 km to be the easiest, terrain wise), and my favorite from a co-worker "Are you nuts?!?! 24/7 with your wife for over a month?!?!" (We have never been closer since completing our Camino-our 25th wedding anniversary present to ourselves). So yes, I agree totally with Pieces, do not let anyone else decide if the Camino is for you, except you. No, it is not easy, but it is most definitely rewarding. Someone asked me when we came home if it was worth it. I said "After walking several hours uphill and getting to see the views that God created just for us, yes it was worth it!" Yes, we were nervous about it, never being away from home for more than 2 weeks, and never being outside our own country, but WE made the decision to do it, and did not let any outside influences discourage us. Second best decision we ever made (first was when she said yes :) )

Buen Camino!!

Manymilestogo said

"Second best decision we ever made (first was when she said yes attachFull6960)"

What a lovely thing to say.
Bless you.

Attachments

• upload_2013-11-27_20-0-46.png
    upload_2013-11-27_20-0-46.png
    95 bytes · Views: 21
There is entirely too much agreement on this subject, so allow me to introduce a dissenting voice-sorry but its a Jewish thing. People walk the Camino for a myriad of reasons, reasons which often change before arriving in Santiago and very often several times. But we are all assuming that the goal is to arrive in Santiago and herein lies the obstacle. The forum is filled with inquires-"I have ten days/two weeks where to start/what to see" as but one example. Many many pilgrims come to the Camino in order to enjoy the special feeling which one is granted, the camaraderie experienced with fellow pilgrims, the views the art the beauty of so many places is overwhelming. Santiago is the goal but it should not become the overiding guideline. We have all met people who run through say Astorga or Villafranca del Bierzo without stopping because like Alice's Little White Rabbit no time no time or I haven't done my 35-40 kilometers today so I'll just push on. Alternatively perhaps you have met the two Frenchmen who may be seen yearly walking the Meseta with garbage bags picking up litter left by pilgrims (Now that is an important subject which should be constantly addressed!) or couples who walk very slowly small sections every year and finish the Camino once in five or six years, or the Canadian woman, 89 years old who has favorite stretches of maybe five kilometers between her special albergues who people have known her for years. And truthfully, Santiago can be disappointing, its myriad souvenir stores, itrs overly expensive restaurants and sadly if you have ever attended a pilgrims mass during say Galicia Week why it is full of cellular phones, photographers, noisy meryimakers, and constant ebb and flow of rubbernecking tourist-probably one of the worst masses I personally have ever witnessed. I could go on but won't I will finish with a paraphrase from the Greek poet Constantine Cavafy "Ithica"

"Always keep Santiago (Ithaca) in your mind.
To arrive there is your ultimate goal.
But do not hurry the voyage at all.
It is better to let it last for many years;
and to anchor at the island when you are old,
rich with all you have gained on the way,
not expecting that Ithaca will offer you riches.

Ithaca has given you the beautiful voyage.
Without her you would have never set out on the road.
She has nothing more to give you.

And if you find her poor, Ithaca has not deceived you.
Wise as you have become, with so much experience,
you must already have understood what Ithacas mean.

Scruffy in Jerusalem
Thankyou Scruffy, you have given me a different perspective and much food for thought.....smiles.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
As long one is not 'forced' to do the Walk, it is for everyone. I ran into some whom I would classify as 'speedy gonzales' as well as some who takes her sweet old time. As long as you are capable of walking without assistance and has no inflexible preconceived notions, it's great venue to experience the cultures, food, and people.

The camino is Not for Everybody, bur you and only you choose to go to the trouble of going, if it's not for you, leave. I don't understand why people get upset because somebody only walks 100 or 200 or 300 km, I like to jump from camino to camino , sometimes only 1 hour or 2 hour by bus, but new adventure, I don't like cities so always walk in and out without stoping, exception Pamplona , live and let live

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I made that categorical statement in another thread, and a wise moderator suggested we take it elsewhere so as to not derail the subject under discussion there.

Still, by popular demand, I will explain myself.

The first part is a no-brainer: There are some people who simply are not cut out for long-distance hikes, physically or mentally. A 700 km. walk, or even the minimum requirement of 100 km., would be detrimental to their health. They would quickly fall ill or hurt themselves if they attempted it.

Some people do not get on well in uncontrolled environments. The idea of coping with other languages, strange food and water, money and beds and bathrooms is just too much for them. A guided tour is as far from their comfort zone as they are willing to go.

Some do not appreciate people of other cultures, colors, or beliefs. They feel compelled to speak out against people who behave or represent things that make them uncomfortable.

Some people can´t handle discomfort, inconvenience, or unmet expectations. When faced with any, they complain, rage, sulk, or behave in ways designed to spread their misery.

Then there are people whose economic or social positions bar them from camino-walking. 150,000 people per year seems like a lot of pilgrims, but that´s a pretty small percentage of the whole world´s population. I daresay the majority of humanity would find a pilgrimage across Spain is just bizarre, or just not their cup of tea. And that´s OK by me.

The Camino de Santiago is not for everyone. Or perhaps it is better said, Not everyone is for the Camino de Santiago.

A tourist expects, a pilgrim accepts

Nice stereo typing! :D

Maybe some of us are technical mountaineers but are actually a bit deeper than "hard-ass thrill-seeking goobers"

True, they are vastly different experiences, but many of us enjoy both. We just don't discuss climbing in this forum

Newfy the goober

Dear Rebekah, agree, but not that much. I am talking without a practical experience as I will do my first Camino in Oct 2014 but I had the opportunity to see miracles in peoples' lives happening when they have to go through adverse experiences. They might not be prepared or exactly fit into the spirit of the Camino, but something says to me that nobody walks the Camino and leave it without being, somehow, affected. A seed will be there, and experiences, even those that seemed to be bad, will make them think about it. And, as a Catholic, I truly believe that God will always move strings to ensure that those brothers and sisters face what they have to face to be better. Eventually, after my Camino, I will change my mind. For now, I just think that the Camino is for everybody, and experiences and what each one of us take out of it, it's personal and they will flourish at the right time. God bless.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
If there's one thing about this thread that surprises me, it's how many people here agree with the sentiment that the Camino is not for everyone. Which I agree with completely, so perhaps I'm biased on the matter. =) Anyone can do the Camino, but not everyone should.

However, I think if we all look down within ourselves, we'll find we all have prejudices of what types of people "shouldn't" do the Camino. When I did my Camino, I heard a lot of people gripe about the bicyclists. I heard people suggest that those who use taxis to forward their bags along aren't "real" pilgrims. Others say that anyone who prefers the use of hotels instead of alburgues aren't following in the "spirit" of the Camino. Or that those who skip ahead of "boring" parts are cheating themselves.

And I'm not throwing stones here--I'm as guilty as the next person. The thing that annoyed me the most were that so many people would stick to the "main" Camino route rather than take the (in my opinion) much quieter and nicer scenic alternatives. Well, admittedly, I had something of a love/hate relationship with that. I loved that it was quieter and nicer because not so many people crowded them, but then I'd get back into the mass of humanity and listen to people complain about how miserable that section of the trail was which irritated me to no end. "Then why did you CHOOSE it?!"

But when you get right down to it, all of those things are all about intolerance--intolerance towards people who aren't doing things like we do--intolerance towards people who are different from us. There's probably not a day on the trail I didn't hear some sort of reference to people being intolerant of others. I kind of think it's human nature to be intolerant towards anything and anyone who's different from ourselves, and the trail is packed with case studies.

I hope everyone who walks the trail tries to look out for this sort of intolerance. Identify it and avoid it. We should welcome our differences, not scorn them. This world would be a pretty boring and rotten place if everyone were just like me. I talk to myself enough already! =)

And then there's another kind of person--the kind of person who would have absolutely no interest in walking hundreds of kilometers through a foreign country with a bunch of strangers. I don't get it, but I don't have to to understand that the trail is not for these kind of people.

I love backpacking. I love walking out in the middle of nowhere and spending a night under the stars. Some of my best times were thru-hiking the Appalachian Trail and the Pacific Crest Trail--and I feel much the same way about those trails as I did the Camino. You'll even hear similar vocabulary used. Thru-hikers will describe their journey in spiritual terms. I can't imagine why someone wouldn't want to do these trails, but I know it's true. I once had someone who met me on the trail ask if they would recommend that they do the trail someday, and I told them, "Probably not. It takes a certain kind of mindset to do a trail like this, and most people just don't have it."

The Camino is the same way. It takes a certain kind of mindset to do a journey like this and enjoy it. Not everyone has that mindset. Anyone can do the Camino, but that's not the same as saying that everyone should do it. Failing to recognize that the Camino isn't for everyone is just another form of intolerance--intolerance towards people who have no interest in the Camino.

There's already too much intolerance on the trail--watch out and try not to fall victim to it.

-- Ryan

I agree except for "...it's human nature to be intolerant..." I would change it to "... It's human conditioning to be intolerant..." I think we are extremely tolerant and patient if we drop all preconceived notions or expectations. Acceptance is the key, of one's self and of all others. The mere fact that not everyone must like or want to do any particular thing defines individuality.

I think the original topic is quite useful for those who may be researching the Camino. Personally, I believe that if a person's decision is so easily changed or persuaded then they haven't formed a strong enough opinion. Quite simply, an opinion cannot be easily swayed if the end result wasn't already under strong consideration. I also see no problem with changing one's mind. There is no requirement to do something just because.

-John

Many reasons for me not to walk the Camino.

- I am not a hard core Catholic, I only go to Church now for weddings and funerals.

- I am not a Hard core Hiker, I only started hiking a couple of months ago in order to get ready for the Camino.

- Not so Young anymore, will turn 59 in May on the Camino.

- Over weight and out of shape, flat feet also.

- Will I stay in Albergues all the time, probably not.

- Only know a few words of Tourist Spanish.

In the end I only need one reason to do it, and its because I want to do it! Camino is not for everyone, I will answer that one when I get back from my Camino in late May 2014.

Last edited:
Many reasons for me not to walk the Camino.[...] In the end I only need one reason to do it, and its because I want to do it! Camino is not for everyone, I will answer that one when I get back from my Camino in late May 2014.
May is a good time to walk along the North of Spain, whether it's on one of the "Caminos" towards Santiago or other paths with different touristic and/or cultural attractions. If Santiago is not your destination, it's interesting to walk the Camino Francés "backwards", towards the East. No yellow arrows to guide you. And if there aren't many pilgrims coming in the "right" direction, you can miss the classic track quite a few times. There is no "pull" towards the daily destinations yet you can meet a myriad of "pilgrims" with rainbow colours' purposes.
Let us know about your late May 2014 Camino experiences. Have fun in preparing your journey!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Any decision that involves walking 780 km over 40 days is definitely not for everyone and there will be those who leave St Jean (or other starting points) with high hopes only to falter at an unexpected hurdle. From my own limited experience the psychological preparation is as important as the physical training. Meeting and bonding with a Camino family can be rewarding but can also be difficult especially if they want (demand!) that you walk at their pace when all you want to do is amble along at 3 km per hour and stop at in-between places . So yes the Camino (like marriage, children etc) is not for all, but for those who reach Santiago it can be rewarding - spiritually as well as physically!!

Actually I think THE CAMINO IS FOR EVERYONE…….. THEY just don't know it till after the fact… there is a lot to be said for "hindsight" in this life……. perhaps I am speaking out of turn as I have not walked Camino yet… but in another way I have as all of Life is Camino and I have had a lot of LIFE experiences….. so go for it !

Hi Folks - A 'Newbie' here,

I am looking to do Camino Frances in May - probably on my own although there is a possibility that a friend will join me for a few days.

My original intention had been to do the walk next year as my plan for 2013 was to retrace, by bicycle, a 2500 km sponsored walk around France and Spain I did for an environmental charity in 2008. That walk was done almost entirely on my own with no backup. Carrying a full pack including tent, sleeping bag, sleeping matt etc. Unfortunately I had chosen a companion for the bike ride who told me today he cannot make it so my original plan for the Camino in 2014 has taken its place.

The weather for the 2008 walk was atrocious in the main but I still I covered the distance in 2.5 months - up hill, down dale, over mountains, alongside beaches and so on.

So, I am a pretty experience walker but I am not, I hope, an arrogant man so have been trawling the internet for tips and advice on this trek- in the main regarding what or what not to carry. I also thought it might be good to do what many seem to think is the 'easy option' - Camino Frances. This is because I felt that having the opportunity to meet so many different people of varying backgrounds etc could be inspirational rather than spending so much time in solitude as before.

Then it occurred to me that I might question my suitability as I am a non believer. Don't get me wrong - I am not particularly 'anti' either. Amongst my friends and family I have people of many ethnicities and followers of different belief systems. In fact I was discussing this very point just today with my sister who is a Jehovah's Witness.

So I came across this thread... And the entry made by:

All I can say is that I would find it very interesting to meet that chap but feel very confident having now read many posts that I can expect some excellent company. Hopefully combined with the odd lively, but not contentious, debate.

But I would like to say to 'Bama Hiker' that I do have a belief and that is that The World is for EVERYONE.

Thanks,
Phil

Does it really matter WHY … JUST DO IT ….. We do not have control over everything ! … what is a believer or non believer ?????…..who determines that ! …..JUST DO IT … there does not have to be a why :) …. that is so great ! YES the WORLD and ALL its beliefs are for everyone… LIVE and let live… do NO harm to human or animal along the way and give thanks for comfort , shelter, food , kindness, company, acceptance … wherever one finds these :)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hey there,
I was reading your response to "The Camino is not for everyone" and I got to your comment about the trash. I picked up a lot of trash last year and I want to go and pick up more. I'm just curious if you would support or be interested in a concerted effort of a team or group of American Pilgrims (I'm assuming you're American, pardon if I'm wrong about that) in an organized service project. You don't have to participate I'm just taking a survey to see if I can generate interest.
Thanks
There is entirely too much agreement on this subject, so allow me to introduce a dissenting voice-sorry but its a Jewish thing. People walk the Camino for a myriad of reasons, reasons which often change before arriving in Santiago and very often several times. But we are all assuming that the goal is to arrive in Santiago and herein lies the obstacle. The forum is filled with inquires-"I have ten days/two weeks where to start/what to see" as but one example. Many many pilgrims come to the Camino in order to enjoy the special feeling which one is granted, the camaraderie experienced with fellow pilgrims, the views the art the beauty of so many places is overwhelming. Santiago is the goal but it should not become the overiding guideline. We have all met people who run through say Astorga or Villafranca del Bierzo without stopping because like Alice's Little White Rabbit no time no time or I haven't done my 35-40 kilometers today so I'll just push on. Alternatively perhaps you have met the two Frenchmen who may be seen yearly walking the Meseta with garbage bags picking up litter left by pilgrims (Now that is an important subject which should be constantly addressed!) or couples who walk very slowly small sections every year and finish the Camino once in five or six years, or the Canadian woman, 89 years old who has favorite stretches of maybe five kilometers between her special albergues who people have known her for years. And truthfully, Santiago can be disappointing, its myriad souvenir stores, itrs overly expensive restaurants and sadly if you have ever attended a pilgrims mass during say Galicia Week why it is full of cellular phones, photographers, noisy meryimakers, and constant ebb and flow of rubbernecking tourist-probably one of the worst masses I personally have ever witnessed. I could go on but won't I will finish with a paraphrase from the Greek poet Constantine Cavafy "Ithica"

"Always keep Santiago (Ithaca) in your mind.
To arrive there is your ultimate goal.
But do not hurry the voyage at all.
It is better to let it last for many years;
and to anchor at the island when you are old,
rich with all you have gained on the way,
not expecting that Ithaca will offer you riches.

Ithaca has given you the beautiful voyage.
Without her you would have never set out on the road.
She has nothing more to give you.

And if you find her poor, Ithaca has not deceived you.
Wise as you have become, with so much experience,
you must already have understood what Ithacas mean.

Scruffy in Jerusalem[/q

At present I have decided that the Camino is not for me, for a variety of personal reasons. I think it is true that the Camino is not for everyone. We can be enthused by friends or family and then realise that it is right for them, but not ourselves. Some may later change their minds, others equally rightly might not.
I'll still enjoy reading about the experiences of others and maybe even still be able to make the occasional quiet contribution . :)

Hey there,
I was reading your response to "The Camino is not for everyone" and I got to your comment about the trash. I picked up a lot of trash last year and I want to go and pick up more. I'm just curious if you would support or be interested in a concerted effort of a team or group of American Pilgrims (I'm assuming you're American, pardon if I'm wrong about that) in an organized service project. You don't have to participate I'm just taking a survey to see if I can generate interest.
Thanks

Maybe a separate poll topic would be better but an adopt-the-Camino program could be lots of fun. As a U.S. citizen the cost to engage in such an endeavor could prove to be prohibitive. I'm not sure of your overall idea but maybe donations to fund underprivileged teens to experience the Camino while providing a valuable service could gain some traction. Assuming it would be organization based then really any outside donation would be an offset cost to the originating organization (church, diocese, bank etc.). Something like a Trash-from-Trails sponsorship program?

At first I was thinking that providing a trash collection service would just reinforce the behavior of tossing trash on the ground. Turning that obviously occurring behavior into something that could benefit everyone involved would be awesome. A multinational not-for-profit that includes many world trails with the purpose of cultural experiences while proving an earth friendly service would be fantastic. Now, how to get Bill Gates to fund the initial inception, and maybe toss in a good legal counsel or two?

We're starting a life change so we could be enticed to join such an effort.

-John

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
The Camino is for everyone. The only issue is whether a person chooses to follow it.

It's a matter of each person's individual choice, not whether we think they are suitable or worthy.

We are all neighbors on the Camino.

Hey there,
Thanks

Rebekah has a clean up weekend every year based on the Moratin0s area in Palencia, where she lives. She is joined by several members of the forum.
There is a thread (more than one) describing what they do.
Here is the latest "clean-up thread" if anyone has interest: http://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/annual-camino-cleanup-coming-up.15850/#post-175186

Howver....this is off topic in this thread and hopefully we can take that discussion to another thread and return to the original topic. Thanks

Last edited:
I made that categorical statement in another thread, and a wise moderator suggested we take it elsewhere so as to not derail the subject under discussion there.

Still, by popular demand, I will explain myself.

your point is an excellent one,i would really love to have the time and freedom to do the camino in one go ,but am happy to go in stages on my second trip I met I think some of the people you describe, they complained about lack and qualitity of services en route ,we [my father sister +I]met them in an alberguie that we thought was fantastic,they complained about the taxi driver ;he was rude?;and did not speak English/?people blocking the path [with their big bags]they did briefly annoy us but at meal times when more like minded folk joined in tales of their day/journey; they for all their cash lost out big time ,

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
This totally sums it up for me. My wife and I planned our Camino for about 1 year. We got tired of hearing "You will not be able to do it" or "Please don't do it, I have friends who did the last 100 km and had terrible problems with their feet" (we personally found the last 100 km to be the easiest, terrain wise), and my favorite from a co-worker "Are you nuts?!?! 24/7 with your wife for over a month?!?!" (We have never been closer since completing our Camino-our 25th wedding anniversary present to ourselves). So yes, I agree totally with Pieces, do not let anyone else decide if the Camino is for you, except you. No, it is not easy, but it is most definitely rewarding. Someone asked me when we came home if it was worth it. I said "After walking several hours uphill and getting to see the views that God created just for us, yes it was worth it!" Yes, we were nervous about it, never being away from home for more than 2 weeks, and never being outside our own country, but WE made the decision to do it, and did not let any outside influences discourage us. Second best decision we ever made (first was when she said yes :) )

Buen Camino!!

There were a couple of people on the Camino who thought I couldn't do it--after 34 consecutive days of walking--I was standing in front of the cathedral in Santiago.

€149,-
I stumbled across this photo in an old thread. Where was it taken? Is it on the Camino Frances? @sillydoll or anyone else? Thanks.

alms-for-those-in-purgatory1-jpg.5080

Looks like it is on the Primitivo, somewhere by the Lugo cathedral. Found it here.

I've just finished my Camino and feel like I could raise a couple of valid points.
Here is a small list of types of 'pilgrims' I met:
1. Lonely hearts looking to connect.
2. Bon Vivants looking for fun and good company.
3. Retirees wanting a challenge.
4. People (younger people?) wanting an experience that is admired by their peers.
5. People who have sadness because of losing a loved one.
6. People looking to confirm their faith or needing to have the time to open up new insights.

All of these types can have a very meaningful Camino or a very dull Camino and the difference between dull and meaningful is whether or not the Camino tested you - pushed you to your own particular limits. And did you pass the test set by the Camino or did you give in and compromise?

I walked at my limit and I was tested and I had the most profound experience of my life. I feel very strongly that whatever your limits are, you need to walk the Camino at that limit - that is if you want to get the most out of it. If you you don't want to go to your limits, then chill and your Camino will be nice and fun, but perhaps not particularly meaningful. And parts will be downright boring.

I also want to mention how many people are 'Facebooking' their Camino. Maybe its better to not need the likes and shares when it comes to your Camino. Mind needs to be fertilized with profound experiences and sharing the profundity as it happens on The Way may dilute the transformative power that a pilgrimage has.

I hope I'm not being too pejorative - but the Camino is not for happiness. Its for enriching the mind and for growth. Thanks and apologies if this sounds too preachy.

I stumbled across this photo in an old thread. Where was it taken? Is it on the Camino Frances? @sillydoll or anyone else? Thanks.
I think I took that photo - either in SdeC cathedral or in Lucca circa 2007. Im away from home but will check when I get back and let you know.

alms-for-those-in-purgatory1-jpg.5080

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
This is a great example of a thread started 4-5 years ago still showing positive discution. Not to mention those who bring experience over the years. So why do you think the popularity of the Camino has exploded? In my small town we have roughly 10-12 people who have walked the Camino yet it is very little known. I have yet to find a person after telling of it who left to do it. As I believe many struggling would benefit from it.
Keith

I have three good friends who have come to camino since I first walked. I would never have guessed that they might, but they have. They asked me questions before they went and I told no lies but they went, not because I had but because it was their time.

I love the light in their eyes and I love the way they'll tell the curious 'walk when you're ready; it's your walk'.

And in my favourite pub, in my favourite town in all the worlds, most tell me that the camino is not for them and I can only but agree ;)

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I have three good friends who have come to camino since I first walked. I would never have guessed that they might, but they have. They asked me questions before they went and I told no lies but they went, not because I had but because it was their time.

I love the light in their eyes and I love the way they'll tell the curious 'walk when you're ready; it's your walk'.

And in my favourite pub, in my favourite town in all the worlds, most tell me that the camino is not for them and I can only but agree ;)
As if they were pulled to do it..? I only bring it up because that is how I felt, so many obstacles to over come yet strangely each was removed.

So in the world over, the question that can really be asked is it world economics bringing those of us showing up or some "thing "calling? :)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
A long long years ago, before internet and popular films and other stuff I was out hiking in the Picos de Europa. I stopped at a finca to ask for water. The woman who granted my need asked if I was 'en camino' . I didn't really understand the question but said 'no'. She didn't seem disappointed as such but there was something about her reaction that made me curious so when I got back to the UK I started to research. Weren't libraries, and librarians, great? When I found out what her 'camino' was I got curious, then intrigued, and then I spent a decade or two waiting till I could get 6 - 8 weeks off work and go and find out for myself. When I told my grandmother about my discoveries and my plans she said ' Oh yes, Santiago. That's on the way.' So then I did some more research and some more questioning of elderly relatives with dubious pasts and discovered the 'costa del muerte' and the sundering seas and the end of all things in the setting sun.

When the time came, I walked, and I watched the sun set into those sundering seas and I thought of granny, and others that had passed. And I've been coming back ever since, when I can. And offered up what I can when I can.

Which doesn't really answer your question about my friends and their reasons but I haven't asked them so I don't know. Is it world economics? Well, the world-wide-web has certainly put a few librarians out of work and made 'finding-out' a damn sight easier. Until the last of the bucket price airlines goes down in the ocean of debt (pace Monarch) getting to the Way is a damn sight easier than getting to Potes in 1974 was.

As a post-script I 'phoned one of them and asked why. It turns out they saw / had a memory of a mention of something about camino from their childhood. And when opportunity came, they went.

The tread reminds me of a girl we met this year she was quiet and seemed a bit uncomfortable joining in. My wife took her under her wing and I think this helped her enjoy more of the Camino as she walked.
When we first met her she was not enjoying at all but by the end she was .She even said recently that she missed it and would like to go back.
So for the ones that get so much from the Camino shouldn't we help and support those that find it a challenge I can think of nothing better .
So if a pilgrim is looking alone and lost open your arms and hearts to them please !

€60,-
A long long years ago, before internet and popular films and other stuff I was out hiking in the Picos de Europa. I stopped at a finca to ask for water. The woman who granted my need asked if I was 'en camino' . I didn't really understand the question but said 'no'. She didn't seem disappointed as such but there was something about her reaction that made me curious so when I got back to the UK I started to research. Weren't libraries, and librarians, great? When I found out what her 'camino' was I got curious, then intrigued, and then I spent a decade or two waiting till I could get 6 - 8 weeks off work and go and find out for myself. When I told my grandmother about my discoveries and my plans she said ' Oh yes, Santiago. That's on the way.' So then I did some more research and some more questioning of elderly relatives with dubious pasts and discovered the 'costa del muerte' and the sundering seas and the end of all things in the setting sun.

When the time came, I walked, and I watched the sun set into those sundering seas and I thought of granny, and others that had passed. And I've been coming back ever since, when I can. And offered up what I can when I can.

Which doesn't really answer your question about my friends and their reasons but I haven't asked them so I don't know. Is it world economics? Well, the world-wide-web has certainly put a few librarians out of work and made 'finding-out' a damn sight easier. Until the last of the bucket price airlines goes down in the ocean of debt (pace Monarch) getting to the Way is a damn sight easier than getting to Potes in 1974 was.

As a post-script I 'phoned one of them and asked why. It turns out they saw / had a memory of a mention of something about camino from their childhood. And when opportunity came, they went.
Your honest response was very appreciated as the answer in my opinion depends on each individual & their reflection of the Camino.

That said Even though the Francis route increases in use, I still see the positive effect. What I like are the quiet routes getting more attention as more seek them out. Of course the higher economic situation helps pilgrims arrive, yet it is something else that draws the interest. I look forward to checking in 10-20 years (if I am so lucky) to see if the numbers have reduced or increased.

Most read last week in this forum

This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back