Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Third Primitivo

Davroos

Off tomorrow to Oviedo to hit the il Primitivo for the third time. Personally, it is my favourite, nothing like climbing Hospitales and looking at the views, above the cloudline. Hoping that there hasn't been to many changes considering the amount of road works going on in Spain !!!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The third time's the charm.

Buen Camino Davroos!

Have a great time, Davroos. Let us know how it goes. I'm interested to hear if you find it really crowded. I have walked the primitivo twice, once in Oct. (2008, I think) and again just this past June (June 15-26). Both times there were plenty of pilgrims, but never a a rush or a crush. I hear that it gets extremely crowded in August, so I hope you make it in under the wire.

I didn't find too many route changes from my first primitivo, except that a lot of the construction detours from 2008 had been eliminated with the completion of the construction. The one place I remember a new re-routing was at the hilltop overlooking Cornellana. I actually did an unnecessary little loop through a couple of really pretty villages, so keep an eye out for the arrows there.

The albergue in San Juan de Villapanada has a new hospitalero, Domingo, who is quite a character and who has done a fair amount of renovation work on the albergue. It's a great stop, in case you haven't been there.

You may remember that Berducedo's albergue is small (10 beds). New private albergue/casa rural combination is nice. Meals now available in what used to be the fancy restaurant La Culpa Fue de Maria. It was taken over by a young unemployed go-getter who is not interested in fancy food. He and his mom prepare one plato combinado, take it or leave it. Fried eggs, lomo, fries, salad, and dessert. 8 euros. Recommended

Municipal albergue in Grandas moved to a new building in the last year or so. Very nice.

There's also a fairly new private albergue in Ponte Ferreira. Nice couple running it, facility is fine, the only problem is that the food that's available is mainly from a vending machine, including microwavable pasta :-( We wound up spending 15 euros for a not so special meal at the Casa Rural down the road, but it was better than the alternative.

Buen camino, Laurie

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thanks for that

I walked it in April last year and when I came to the spot before Cornellana where the uprights for the new overpass were, we hopped over the rocks and went down the steep hill and the arrows were there !!! I then went back in August on my bike and did the same thing !!!

I did stay in Cornellana the first time, love the old monastery, but the second time, I rode the route, just like I will this time as I only have 6 days free and my friends want to see this route after the VDLP ride this year

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! Started today from Oviedo to Escamplero. Now I know, why so many people say it's a bit of a challenge to come out of Oviedo. I got lost just once, but was rescued by a very friendly guy. A...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back