• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Time constraint - any stages I could skip?

Kate-NZ

Time of past OR future Camino
Via de la Plata (2013)
I am walking VDLP in May. I only have 33 days and know that I will be highly unlikely to complete the the whole camino in that time. Although I would love to walk every km I will sometimes need to take a bus to make up time. Does anyone have any suggestions?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Personally if there were any stages to skip I would probably take the bus or train for half the way (or the whole) each from Zafra to Mérida and from Salamanca to Zamora, saving at least two nights. And I think there's a bus from Valdesalor to Cáceres, which would save 10 km at the end of a long day from Alcuéscar (I missed the path and ended up walking a very boring long stretch along the road through the suburbs, which would be no loss at all to miss out on). Also if you take the bus out to Guilena you'll save a day, and people recommend getting a taxi from Castillanco de los Aroyos to the start of the park, which would mean you'd be able to skip Almadén and go straight on to el Real de la Jara.

Alternatively, just start out from Zafra and you won't have to worry about time later on (but the first stages of Extremadura are fantastic, so I would be very sad to miss them).

I have just finished the vdlp via sanabrea. Let me know which way are you going so that i maybe able to make some suggestions. Are you connecting to astorga for the camino frances? Or are you going via sanabrea? Also are you going thru verin or laza (western route or northern route)?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I intend to go Sanabria and Ourense but haven't decided whether to then go via Laza or Verin - thought I would decide that later.

Kate - I think that Alan has given very good practical advice. The places he mentions have good transport connections. It is a pity you can't squeeze a few more days as you will build a lot of stamina and walk faster and certainly longer as time goes by. Sevilla - Santiago in 33 - 36 days? Maybe you should decide on route if you are going to skip stages.

Thanks Alan and Johnny for your suggestions - that's helpful. I thought getting a bus in or out of the main cities might be an option and I then wouldn't be walking through built-up areas - so that's along the lines of some of your suggestions. Some of this I will decide en route. Unfortunately I can't add a few days - job and living on the other side of the world doesn't help!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Kate - if you are walking, go through laza instead of verin as it is a much shorter route. However if you have time constraint, then go to verin. Verin is quite a big town with efficient bus and train services to lalin (laxe) and ourense (which is 108 kilometers from santiago). If you are really pressed for time, i believe there are efficient transport services in a gudina which will take you to verin, lalin and ourense.

Another suggestion is to bypass the santa marta de tera stage and walk directly to mombuey. Tthis will save you quite a bit of walking due the the many detours put up by the construction of the AVE line in addition to the extra kilometers to be walked.

I think this will save you at least two extra days. All these suggestions are in addition to what alan and john suggested. 33 days to walk the whole sevilla to santiago is not do-able to me. You will have to walk at least 30 kilometers per day. I walked in 36 days recently, and i must admit it is not the same as walking the camino frances. Some of the stages are quite far afar. I find it enjoyable but a lot harder to walk. The longest stage i have walked is 45 kilometers. Reason being no reasonable albergue available. I have walked somedays 36 , somedays 42 kilometers.

Anyway, all the best to you if you decide you want to do it. Again, buen camino.

Hello kate,

Please ignore the first paragraph in my message to you. I got some of the puezblos mixed up. The stages should be in the following order: granja de moreruela, tabara, santa marta de tera, mombuey, puebla de sanabria, lubian, a gudina, laza (or verin)., vilar de barrio, ourense, cea, laxe (lalin), puente ulla, sdc.

If you are walking, i would take the laza route instead of verin as it is shorter. However, if you have time constraint, i would walk to verin, a big town with transport connection by train or bus to ourense which is 108 kilometers from sdc. This will free up at least 2 days.

Thank you Piogaw for the suggestions in your two posts. I have taken note of them. I will need to make some pragmatic decisions as I go using all these suggestions. I intend to use my 33 days fully but know that 20-30km per day will most likely be my limit. 5 weeks to go before I set off - I am looking forward to my first camino experience. Thanks for the info.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thanks everyone - I am also walking the VDLP but due to time constraints and desire to fit in other events (touring Granada and Sevilla) I plan to start walking from Merida, taking the Sanabres Camino via Ourense. I am hoping to complete the Camino in 33-36 with a couple of rest days as and when the body requires or the sights interest. Is there really any part between Sevilla and Merida that I should see?? :?

Are any of you who are beginning soon planning on keeping up a blog?
As I'll be a few weeks behind you, I'll love to be able to foresee any problems, or hear any tips you might have along the way.

Starting Sevilla April 18th - getting very excited!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Saint Mike II said:
Is there really any part between Sevilla and Merida that I should see?? :?

The short answer is "yes". Zafra is a delightful place, with several fine churches, including one with a rather dark Zurbaran. Zurbaran's birthplace museum in Fuente de Cantos is quite interesting, especially if you encounter a fierce guardian who seems keen to discourage visitors. The Sierra Morena is astonishingly lovely, with occasional wild boar in the dehesa. The ham museum in Monesterio is worth a pause. The walk through the park towards Almaden de la Plata is wonderful countryside. And there are many other pleasures en route.

And it is perfectly possible to walk Seville to SdC in 36 days without going absurdly fast - that's how long I took in November-December, with 4 rest days en route. But Mérida is amazing and is a perfectly good place to start.

i second alan recommendations as to what is there to see between sevilla and merida. as you are walking in spring, you will also have the opportunity to enjoy the beautiful vista hopefully with sunny weather. italica is worth a couple of hours by visiting the amphitheatre and the archaeological site. it is free of charge to eu citizen for admission to the site. do visit the ham museum in monesterio, you will get a very good education about the different types of jamon iberico de bellota and how it is processed. by the time you are finished with the tour, you will be an expert on the subject. merida is worth staying an extra night to visit the town founded by emperor augustus. it is one of my favourite city. you enter merida and cross the guadiana river through the roman bridge, the longest bridge of the roman empire. sights to see - the roman theatre and amphitheatre, the beautiful aqueduct, the basilica, the roman museum.

buen camino. i hope to see you in santiago in june. i love to hear your adventure and we can trade stories.

Following some of the advice above I have decided to start in Zafra. I will take a bus on a couple of other days as well, possibly out of Salamanca. I think I will then have a better idea of timing. My goal is to be in Ourense by day 27 and Santiago on day 33. I'll be starting walking on 3 May (but won't be writing a blog Annie - sorry). Thanks for the suggestions.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hello all,
With a change of plan, I am now setting out from Seville mid May. I am now researching this Camino (which does sounds amazing). I have seen many posts that suggest taking a taxi from Castillanco de los Aroyos to the start of the park...
Why is this so>?

And can one get by with very very little Spanish? (my main concern is finding accommodation). On Chemin de Puy, the Tourist Information Office helped people who were language-challenged (find this so tricky!). Fortunately walking is fine. no pasa nada...

Alan & Co - thanks for the advice. I was planning to have 3 days in Sevilla and then get the bus or train up to Merida and have a full day (2 nights) to explore, repack, recheck routes etc. From what I have read the first walking day should be a short one - just the 15 km to Aljucen, before building up to 20+ km over the next 10 days. Any comments??
Thanks again. :wink:

I've now completed my VdlP (great experience) so thought I would report back on decisions made due to time restraints. I had 33 days. 1. started in Zafra. 2. bus Caceres to Grimaldo (WOMAD that day in Caceres and it was reported that all accommodation in surrounding area was book, so made decision to go out of the region by bus), and then walked that day to Galiesto. 3. bus (taxi actually) San Pedro de Rozades to Salamana (rest day in Salamanca). 4. Bus Salamance to El Cubo de la Tierra del Vino and walked that day to Villanueva de Campion. After that walked the rest - going via Laza. I arrived in Santiago with 2 days to spare (possibly because I was walking longer (25-35 usually) stretches toward the end.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

I have been reading 2 different reports (on FB and instagram) about (an) agressive dog(s) just after Oseira. I'll post them here: In the group of @geraldkelly on FB (4 days ago): Hello lovely Via...
Hi all! Once again I am heading back to Spain; this time to walk much of the Sanabres with my son; starting in Rionegro del Puente after a few sightseeing days first in Salamanca and Zamora...
After a smooth and uneventful flight from Chicago to Madrid on Iberia, the last three days we have been doing some sightseeing in Salamanca and Zamora, and our days have been sunny, a little cool...
I’m at Almadén de la Plata at the moment, and my options for tomorrow are to go as far as El Real de la Jara (approx 14km) or continue on to Monesterio (approx 34km). 34 km is a bit far for day 4...
After 13 days of walking I've finished my 337km walk on the Camino Sanabres, and my entire 1400km walk from Almería. Yay! If anyone's interested in a day-by-day report, you can find it on my...
For anyone around Sevilla, next Saturday marks the end of the annual week long fiesta. I have just had a conversation, as I do weekly (to help her with English), with a friend who is from there...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back